DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Remixing: How to move past the Acapella vs Instrumental (mashup) phase?

Robbie O 8:50 PM - 31 January, 2014
Any Advice on learning how to "actually" remix a track? And I'm not talking bout just blending an acapella with another songs instrumental.... Luckily I passed DJ remixing in Ableton 101 with flying colors :-\ .

I have a basic understanding of keys... but more from a DJs perspective of not mixing out of key songs. Buts what a realistic 1st step with learning to remix/produce original sounds? Learning to play an instrument?...

With DJing, 1st step was beat matching, then understanding song structure, phrasing etc... But whats the learning flow with Producing/Remixing.

Any good books or tutorials?

This book basically taught me the basics years ago on how to DJ www.amazon.com + youtube

Any similar noobie books for wannabe producer/remixer?
DJ Alkemy 9:45 PM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
Any Advice on learning how to "actually" remix a track? And I'm not talking bout just blending an acapella with another songs instrumental.... Luckily I passed DJ remixing in Ableton 101 with flying colors :-\ .

I have a basic understanding of keys... but more from a DJs perspective of not mixing out of key songs. Buts what a realistic 1st step with learning to remix/produce original sounds? Learning to play an instrument?...

With DJing, 1st step was beat matching, then understanding song structure, phrasing etc... But whats the learning flow with Producing/Remixing.

Any good books or tutorials?

This book basically taught me the basics years ago on how to DJ www.amazon.com + youtube

Any similar noobie books for wannabe producer/remixer?

I deal with mainly Boom Bap style Hip-Hop but maybe seek out DJ Soo on these boards, he makes some dope stuff.
ozfrombk 9:52 PM - 31 January, 2014
@DJ Alkemy

Those beats are fuego dawg
DJ Alkemy 10:07 PM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
@DJ Alkemy

Those beats are fuego dawg

Thanks bro :-)
jprime 10:23 PM - 31 January, 2014
Try to get the key of the original vocal (check some tabs online maybe?) And develop a new melody around that key that works for you, and still works with the original vocal or whatever part of the original you are using.

Once you've got a nice melody (be it a lead or bassline, whatever) you can start laying out your remix.

You could use the original song structure, or you could make your own longer/shorter intro, and start lacing it with other percussion / leads / whatever elements you want.
dj_ys 10:44 PM - 31 January, 2014
Learning the basics of music theory wouldn't hurt.
Thundercat 2:04 AM - 1 February, 2014
Get comfortable on a piano playing some basic chords. I would call that step one. And then some basic music theory. Study some of you favorite / popular tracks and learn to identify different musical elements in them, and what makes them work from a musicians point of view.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:01 AM - 1 February, 2014
Dude, you aren't on tonite?
dj_soo 3:24 AM - 1 February, 2014
read up on/watch tutorials on:

Music theory
Sound engineering/mixing theory
Synthesis theory
Tutorials on workflows on the DAW of your choice (tons of ableton tutorials out there).

A lot of tutorials centre on "how do I make this sound that I heard in so-and-so's track?" I would avoid those until you get a firm grasp on the basics.

Most importantly, just keep producing - every day if you can. No one has to (or should) hear your crappy early work, just do it for the experience.
Thundercat 4:18 AM - 1 February, 2014
Quote:
Dude, you aren't on tonite?

Was on last week. Be on next week. If I may borrow a phrase...Stay Tuned
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:22 AM - 1 February, 2014
Ha...ok.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:32 PM - 2 February, 2014
You can create a free-form mix with the SP-6, now that the SP-6 can sync with the track on the deck. Whenever I use the SP-6 like this, I always have a track for the "four on the FLOOR" bass drum, another for the "clap 2+4" snare, and another one for the hi-hat. I also have tracks for the "snare fill + cymbal", and (in some cases) "Exotic Cymbals"! I don't normally have instruments with pitch (like Basses) because I would use the same bank of tracks for different acapella tracks (which I play on one of the decks).
Davideon 5:49 PM - 2 February, 2014
Professional remixers tend to get the raw files of the original and so can do a lot more
Gio Alex 6:04 PM - 2 February, 2014
Bump. Great thread by the way.