DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer DDJ-SZ vs Numark NS7 II

DJ Breezy B 11:05 PM - 24 January, 2014
This article is in relation to the announcement of Pioneers upgraded version of the DDJ-SX now known as The DDJ-SZ.
I think that the SZ is an awesome piece of hardware comparable to build quality of Numarks NS7II. IMO the SZ should of been the only version of the unit to come out along with a couple of budgeted versions. IMO i didn't think that the SX was anywhere near the build quality of the NS7II. So in the visual comparison of the SZ and the NS7II its a very tough decision. let me watch the videos again.......(1hr elapse) .......I guess it depends on what your performance is about, if you're about scratching and all that DJ Qbert "ish" then the NS7II is the hardware for you.
If you're about that electro remixing and want a true "club booth acceptable", "industry standard" piece of hardware then the DDJ-SZ is you.
damehype 2:53 AM - 25 January, 2014
"Club booth acceptable"??????..... Smh
Kool DJ Sheak One 5:23 PM - 25 January, 2014
I can't take the SZ seriously with that goddamn airhorn button section. Epic Fail in that department. Airhorns are so 2000 and late!
The feel of a rotating platter is so much more satisfying and cannot be compared to a still, slippery disc.

The fact that you can't scratch and do all that "Q-bert ish" on the SZ is very apparent. Even the Pioneer expert at NAMM said the platters firmware has to be worked on still... Wackness.
Not a fan of Nu-mark either tho and it's overall cheapy feel.

Can Rane just make a controller with 10" rotating platters already?
Code:E 6:28 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
f hardware then the DD

No controller will be club standard anytime soon. Maybe a year or 2 away but thats still a long way off.
Rebelguy 7:10 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
I can't take the SZ seriously with that goddamn airhorn button section. Epic Fail in that department. Airhorns are so 2000 and late!
The feel of a rotating platter is so much more satisfying and cannot be compared to a still, slippery disc.

The fact that you can't scratch and do all that "Q-bert ish" on the SZ is very apparent. Even the Pioneer expert at NAMM said the platters firmware has to be worked on still... Wackness.

There is no controller that you can do "Q-bert ish" on. I don't think that those people are the target audience anyway.

I'm actually surprised that Pioneer had the unit out for display. Given the March release date it is pretty much assumed that the software was not going to be done.
DJ Starfall 9:30 AM - 27 January, 2014
I own both the Numark NS7 II and the Pioneer DDJ-SX. (I know this is about the SZ but the SX is very similar and I will note the similaritys and differences). I am not biased as I support both companies and I love both of their products dearly.

Numark NS7 II Pros.
-The NS7 II Has a cleaner, less cluttered layout.
-Illuminated Effect knob markers
-Dedicated Hot Cue Buttons (Don't tie up the MPC Pads like the DDJ SX/SZ)
-Rotating platters give you that authentic vinyl feeling making turntablists feel right at home
-Illuminated needle search strip that is out of the way.
-Cheaper Price than the DDJ-SZ
-BPM Meter LEDs show how closely synced together your tracks are.

Numark NS7 II Cons:
-It's heavy. An almost all metal design and motorized platters are to blame.
-No Sampler volume fader (The DDJ-SX had one, but the DDJ-SZ may not at least i cant see one in the images.)
-7 Inch vinyl platters compared to the DDJ-SZ's 8 Inch Platters
-Not as much of a variety in audio ports in the back.

Pioneer DDJ-SZ Pros:
-Large 8 Inch touch sensitive Jog wheels that are illuminated and full CDJ 2000 styled.
-Dedicated effect Filter channel and oscillator channel.
-Color Assignable MPC Pads (Numark has Color coded but not color assignable pads)
-Mirrors Pioneer's Flagship CDJ 2000 Line so those familiar with it will feel right at home, and those who want it, can get it more affordable than ever.
-Dual Soundcards for multi-computer connection.
-Cue point counter on the jog wheel LED display counts down the time between cue points.

Pioneer DDJ-SZ Cons:
-Price. The website states that the unit will sell for $1,999.00 USD but a Pioneer exec stated in the youtube channel that it will go for $2,399.00 USD
-The Size. The jogwheels may be 8 Inches of pure luxory, but this comes at a cost. Though the unit is lighter than the Numark NS7 II, it still takes up more real estate, It's longer & wider than the Numark NS7 II. Making it not the heaviest but the over all largest controller on the market. The additional channels for oscillator & filter effects also is to blame for the lager size.
-Needle Search Strip location. Right above the jog wheel on the DDJ-SX and it seems to be in the same location on the DDJ-SZ. They can be easily grazed by accident when using the jog wheels or accessing the effects knobs as they are right under the effects section as well. They are also not illuminated making it even more dangerous in dimly lit environments.
-overly cluttered layout.
lee2483 11:24 AM - 27 January, 2014
The NS7 II has 3-Way Touch Filter Knobs, Touch Effects & EQ Knobs
Instant Frequency Kills, Pitch 0 LED, Spring-Loaded Bleep Reverse.

The DDJ SZ has a Sampler volume knob vs Sampler volume fader on the SX.
Rebelguy 7:34 PM - 27 January, 2014
The SZ is the Phablet of the controller world.
DjCity 12:37 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
The SZ is the Phablet of the controller world.

Lls
DjCity 12:40 AM - 28 January, 2014
My DDJ-SX is just too small.
I need the SZ.

Lol.
DJ GaFFle 2:58 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:

Numark NS7 II Cons:
-7 Inch vinyl platters compared to the DDJ-SZ's 8 Inch Platters...

Pioneer DDJ-SZ Pros:
-Large 8 Inch touch sensitive Jog wheels that are illuminated and full CDJ 2000 styled.

Nice breakdown sir but in no way does a static (non-spinning) CDJ platter (any size) beat a 7" spinning platter. The 7" size sucks but it's still a closer feel to real turntables and it's perfect for long EDM/House style blends.

(nm/nh)
Niro 6:02 AM - 28 January, 2014
^ the thing with the v7 is you can't pinch the nipple and can't control the catch and release of the record. It makes it really heard to mix. Actually also to scratch on.
blackavenger 12:28 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
-7 Inch vinyl platters compared to the DDJ-SZ's 8 Inch Platters
Actually, the surface of each platter is exactly the same size......7".

Quote:
-No Sampler volume fader (The DDJ-SX had one, but the DDJ-SZ may not at least i cant see one in the images.)
The SZ does have a Sampler volume pot. But honestly, if you want to add isotope effects to the samples, then you need to sacrifice a channel for the Sp-6 to be assigned to anyway, so this is a moot point for me.

Quote:
-Color Assignable MPC Pads (Numark has Color coded but not color assignable pads)
Yeah, this is dope. I wonder if Numark will institute a firmware upgrade to facilitate this functionality?

Quote:
-Dedicated effect Filter channel
This is something I feel that the NS7II totally fuq'd up....those filters should have been hardware based.

Quote:
-Cheaper Price than the DDJ-SZ
Seeing as how you can get the SZ for $1,750, and the NS7II for $1,500, this is gonna be tough competition for Numark. A mere $250 premium gets you (2) soundcards, and DVS support.
Mister Mac 6:55 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
(2) soundcards

This seals the deal above all else. The ability to switch seamlessly switch DJs in an all-in-one pro controller trumps everything currently on market. How/why other manufacturers chose to ignore this monumental feature is perplexing.
Niro 7:39 PM - 28 January, 2014
What's funny about a bunch of DJ's ranting about spinning platters is they end up DJing like they were on CDJ's anyways. Using the cue buttons instead of releasing the platter, using the pitch bend button….etc.

The thread has gotten to long and I can't remember what all talk, but I'm just glad someone came out with a controller that doesn't (quoted from someone, I forgot sorry) require "Baby Hands"

Now what about the secret turntable they're working on.
blackavenger 8:24 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:

Yeah, I am curious about this as well. I've been hearing through the grapevine that it will be a lot like the Numar CDX, except that right from the start it will be HID compliant w' Traktor & Serato. If this is true, they will straight own the DJing community!
Will08272 9:03 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I am curious about this as well. I've been hearing through the grapevine that it will be a lot like the Numar CDX, except that right from the start it will be HID compliant w' Traktor & Serato. If this is true, they will straight own the DJing community!

If said product releases what do you guys think the purist will say.
blackavenger 9:07 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:

At this point in the game, who cares what they'll say? They can keep their issue-prone tonearms, carts/styli, and ground wires.....all that shit is what drove me away from TTs to begin with.
Will08272 9:13 PM - 28 January, 2014
I love my 3900 doesnt get much use sitting next my m5gs, but if this thing pio is working can be a 3900 with a 12 inch platter and keep the screen from the 2000 they may have the winner.
Will08272 9:18 PM - 28 January, 2014
Someone with some photoshop skills mind whipping up a cdj 2000 with a 12 inch platter.
DJ GaFFle 9:24 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say yay! It doesn't need a 12" platter... a 9" or 10" platter would be just fine. I just want to see a controller with this option.

(nm)
blackavenger 9:28 PM - 28 January, 2014
Yeah, 10" would be great....perfect in fact. But it's got to be Serato HID compliant, or it's pointless to me. Might as well buy a 3900.
Will08272 9:35 PM - 28 January, 2014
How have peoples experiences been with hid on the decks now.
blackavenger 10:24 PM - 28 January, 2014
I used HID w' a CDJ-400 and CDJ-850 w' ScratchLIVE and found them to be pretty damn good!
blackVon 5:30 AM - 7 March, 2014
I have a question about the Pioneer DDJ-SZ. Is the turntable motorized like on the Numark NS7 II?
ontime1269 6:04 AM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
I have a question about the Pioneer DDJ-SZ. Is the turntable motorized like on the Numark NS7 II?

No.
lee2483 5:34 PM - 7 March, 2014
Does the DDJ SZ have dual platter mode like the DDJ SX
blackavenger 8:08 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:

No.
Mister Mac 5:09 PM - 10 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

No.

Yes.
blackavenger 9:40 PM - 10 March, 2014
Are you sure? I asked a Pioneer rep, and he told me no.
Mister Mac 10:24 PM - 10 March, 2014
Quote:
Are you sure? I asked a Pioneer rep, and he told me no.

Take a looksie....

i802.photobucket.com
blackavenger 12:12 AM - 11 March, 2014
Hmm, I'm not convinced that is a dual deck button. Imma' do some research to confirm. I have the manual, but haven't read it entirely.
pdidy 12:54 AM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Hmm, I'm not convinced that is a dual deck button. Imma' do some research to confirm. I have the manual, but haven't read it entirely.

I haven't checked but Scott s says NO

serato.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:25 AM - 11 March, 2014
To tell you the truth, the dual deck was a neat feature. But I have never used it at gigs.
blackavenger 2:50 AM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
I haven't checked but Scott s says NO

serato.com

Well there you go, I was right. Straight from the other horse's mouth.
Mister Mac 3:55 AM - 11 March, 2014
Seems we're talking about two different things here. Sorry, but I was of the understanding that dual platter/deck mode meant a single platter could operate two decks by pressing the deck button(s) to select between two virtual decks, which of course both the DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ have, but I now see the feature you're referring to is something else.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:04 AM - 11 March, 2014
I just compared the manual for the DDJSX and SZ and there is no mention of the dual deck mode on the SZ
blackavenger 1:12 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
I was of the understanding that dual platter/deck mode meant a single platter could operate two decks by pressing the deck button(s) to select between two virtual decks, which of course both the DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ have,

No, we're talking about the same thing. I haven't read anything in the documentation, nor have I heard from any source, that the SZ shares this functionality with the SX. Obviously, I do not have one in front of me to test myself so there is a remote chance that I am wrong, but I don't think so.
blackavenger 1:16 PM - 11 March, 2014
Your image shows arrows pointing to the button that on the SX engages dual deck control. On the SZ, I think that is just there for aesthetics......that it's not an actual button at all.

s802.photobucket.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:39 PM - 11 March, 2014
I agree...I don't think the SZ has dual deck. That's just the selector to allow you to select decks 2/4. I have a feeling they realized people don't use the dual deck thing as much as they thought people would and took it off. I personally have NEVER used it on my SX.
Mister Mac 2:48 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I was of the understanding that dual platter/deck mode meant a single platter could operate two decks by pressing the deck button(s) to select between two virtual decks, which of course both the DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ have,

No, we're talking about the same thing. I haven't read anything in the documentation, nor have I heard from any source, that the SZ shares this functionality with the SX. Obviously, I do not have one in front of me to test myself so there is a remote chance that I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Quote:
Your image shows arrows pointing to the button that on the SX engages dual deck control. On the SZ, I think that is just there for aesthetics......that it's not an actual button at all.

s802.photobucket.com

No, we are NOT talking about the same thing. It was my mistake originally and my arrows/description are not as clear as they could be. What I'm referring to is the "1/3 DECK" and "2/4 DECK" buttons that each switch control between dual decks. What I believe you may be referring to is the actual "DUAL DECK" buttons found ONLY on the DDJ-SX and not the DDJ-SZ (at least in promo photos). Compare >>> i802.photobucket.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:13 PM - 11 March, 2014
Agree to diasgee lol

There is no dual deck mode for the DDJSZ
Mister Mac 4:27 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Agree to diasgee lol

But we really ARE agreeing here lol
blackavenger 6:15 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Agree to diasgee lol

LOL, that's fine. Though you have to admit your explanation was a bit confusing. Especially based on that first photo you linked.
Mister Mac 6:39 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agree to diasgee lol

LOL, that's fine. Though you have to admit your explanation was a bit confusing. Especially based on that first photo you linked.

Already did ;-)

Quote:
It was my mistake originally and my arrows/description are not as clear as they could be.
DJ BusyBee 2:10 PM - 24 March, 2014
the dual deck button is in the software . the sz has that capability
DJ RoachC 2:53 PM - 25 March, 2014
There is a lot of talk about the static platter vs. the spinner platter (turn-table feel). I have started DJing in 1983 and love the feel of the turntables rather it was NUMARK or Technics; however, you can do thee same with the static platters. It took me a lot of practice because the feel was so much different and the electronic decrease and speed and sound compared to the analog ecrease and speed and sound. But like all of us good DJs, we can over-come. My preference is the Static Platters over the spinning Platters. It is something new and as a DJ, I am always looking for something new and innovative ways. The club I work in have the NS-7 II and I bring my SX. I like the NS-7 II but prefer my SX. I can't wait tip my SZ come in.
Logisticalstyles 3:23 PM - 25 March, 2014
The thing I hate about static platters is the fact that you can see any rotation of the platter. I'm guessing it may be different for some controllers that at least have a light that rotates like a platter, but I see a lot of controllers that dont have that kind of feedback. That makes it very difficult to keep up with the music.
DJ RoachC 4:17 PM - 25 March, 2014
You are so right. I find it hard DJing with platters with no lights but the SX and SZ has light.. Yeepee
Dj Diamond Lee 7:37 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:

I'm Late to the party but this would be the best thing to happen. Midi controller makers are afraid to make the platters bigger because of weight and size but I want to do Qubert shit too and a 7inch numark platter aint cutting it! I traded my numrk v7 because the record was a dam 45. I bought some Basic Direct Drive TT and they suck. So now its either buy some Good turntables or An All in one system. NONE of the All in one SYSTEMS have over a 7inch platter. Do I buy some Denon Sc9000? NO its $1000 for one. So Yeah dj controllers have gotten better but NOw us COnsumers are stuck between playing the music easier with a midi controller or Getting turntables to do the Qbert shit.
Dj Diamond Lee 7:43 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say yay! It doesn't need a 12" platter... a 9" or 10" platter would be just fine. I just want to see a controller with this option.

(nm)

Yes 10 inch or 12 inch platter. GOing from MIdi Controller to TT is bitch. Because I did not think about the set up, needles, wires, and tone arm moving, and torque speed. I had the cdx and they were great but the motor and lazer always F*$ ed. I would love part 2 of that.
blackavenger 4:52 AM - 24 May, 2014
Rane dooesn't have any experience making platters of any kind, be then static or spinning. What makes you think they could? You have to remember, Pioneer & Numark have experience making platters, digital and analog, as well as mixers. I thought for a while that Rane would be the first w' a dual soundcard controller for SeratoDJ, but a friend enlightened me as to what I have just explained to you. It's unlikely to ever happen.

That said, w' Numark's recent acquisition of Denon, it is possible that we may see either a V10/NS10 for SeratoDJ, or perhaps an updated 3900 w' native support for SeratoDJ. I would push for that more than Rane entering into a field for which they have zero experience.
Code:E 5:01 AM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
I would push for that more than Rane entering into a field for which they have zero experience.

+1
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:32 PM - 24 May, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong...... But the SZ cannot engage software EFX post fader..... Only the built in hardware effects right? Which it only has like 4 built in hardware effects I think
blackavenger 3:58 PM - 24 May, 2014
Correct. Why oh' why didn't they put a Send/Return on the SZ is beyond me. I mean, I get it that Serato/Isotope want to sell EFX Packs, but w' the SZ specifically, it really needs the option for external effects as well.
blackavenger 4:03 PM - 24 May, 2014
It is this limitation which has me thinking that the SZ owners should petition Pioneer to add user replaceable samples/sounds to the Oscillator section. You can change the samples on the RMX-500 & 1000 via the Pioneer RMX Utility, so it should be possible to do the same thing on the SZ.
DjCity 2:40 PM - 25 May, 2014
Quote:
It is this limitation which has me thinking that the SZ owners should petition Pioneer to add user replaceable samples/sounds to the Oscillator section. You can change the samples on the RMX-500 & 1000 via the Pioneer RMX Utility, so it should be possible to do the same thing on the SZ.

+1000
lawrence567 9:41 AM - 28 May, 2014
I'll say my piece....

I moved initially from 1210's + Serato box (with a Denon DNHC midi controller for cue points, horns & that ish).
To a Numark NS6 back in 2012.
I found the NS6 a bit of a revelation in comparison to the 1210's, although i really missed the spinning vinyl feel.
When the DDJ-SX came out i instantly sold my NS6 to upgrade, the DDJSX was just better all around, i was told i was one of the initial 5 x people in the UK to get one within a day or 2 of it's UK release.
The DDJ-SX was faultless, it's light, looks good & the features were good, i've not had 1 issue with it to date (touch wood).
On the basis of getting mine 3 of my 'colleagues' also went & bought one each, they've had no issues either.
At the start of this year i bought an NS7 II as i just thought they were cool, it was meant to be for an 'at home' toy just to play with, however the moving platters were a revelation.
By no means am i scratch DJ, but i just preferred the moving wheels, plus it has all the MPC pads which were useful for cueing, samples, loop rolls that sort of thing.
I've never used the cue button on it, but use the MPC for cue points, i use the sampler, some of the FX, the pitch bend buttons & the temp knobs, in reality i probably only use 50% of the controllers usage, touch sensitive knobs are pointless IMO, i've also never used the 4 deck mode.
Controller wise it's almost perfect, the only issue being the weight of it. It's real heavy, probably getting on for 35KG's if not more in it's flight case.

I was considering the DDJ-SZ the other day & selling my SX but i can't really see the SX being worth that much more than an SX!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:23 PM - 28 May, 2014
[Quote] but i can't really see the SX being worth that much more than an SX!

Well.. that is true cuz the SX = SX

:)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:10 PM - 28 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
but i can't really see the SX being worth that much more than an SX!

Well.. that is true cuz the SX = SX

:)

The major draw backs I saw with the SX was the same when I had the NS6....

The Crossfader felt cheap and there was too much lag space for me. Numark did supply a small modified plate that you could swap out to counter this but my fader started to bleed after about 4 months of use.

The platters were small and required actually skin to metal contact to engage it. I always preferred the old school "Pressure" sensitive jog wheels over contact metal. You never know... what happens if I lost my fingers to a freak accident and I had prosthetic digits.... would I still be able to engage the contact sensitive metal platters?

Ahhh well.... With the release of the new Innofader for controllers and the bug fixes for the SZ..... I never know.
Dj O.S 5:14 AM - 30 May, 2014
FYI before you read this... Know that I am in no way directing this comment towards anyone.

All I know is that as a D.j for over a decade I have worked with a wide array of equipment. I have gone from Technic 1200's with crates of records to all sorts of controllers. I have had the worst and best(in that order) usb Dj Controllers. The one thing I noticed in threads like this one is that people keep getting hung up on "Controller Weight". If you ever deejayed in the 90's you wouldn't be concerned with a 30 pound controller. Try lugging around two 30 pound Turntables, a 10 pound mixer(all of which is in a Dj Coffin that weighs 30-40 Ib alone), crates of records that I wouldn't want to weight, Passive carpeted speakers that weight 60-70 pounds each, a 25 pound amplifier, and then you have your Pre L.E.D lighting that keeps blowing bulbs! lol. With that said, I can deal with My Ns7fx with case totaling 80 Ib, and my 2 active Berhinger speakers at 38Ib each and Stands that dont weight much at all. Plus my Lighting system which is much easier to transport due to the fact that all my equipment is compact in design.

I think people have gotten caught up on the phrase "MOBILE DJ". I find that statement to be redundant. Thats like saying "Non walking Paraplegic". It is implied that as a Deejay you are mobile. Very rarely does the party come to the Dj. Keeping that in mind if you do not have the ability to transport your equipment the bigger issue is you mode of transportation. If you drive a 1989 Honda Civic Hatch Back you probably should have bought a new car with that 2 grand you gave Pioneer and then thought about Tables. My Ns7's road case has wheels but that doesn't mean I'm gonna drag that bad boy on the bus and to a club venue.

Thats my 2 cents. If you agree then great! If not I'm not gonna lose sleep. So don't expect an ongoing argument via forum. I have better things to do like Dj, Produce music and Fornicate with scandalous female party goers. ;)

P.s...I would have kept my Technics but when a party gets shot up and someone stumbles bleeding into your equipment...Its hard to convince the police your turntables are not evidence. All I have left is the one of the metal 45 spacers. R.I.P 1200's. You will be missed.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:43 AM - 30 May, 2014
^there are Djs that do take public transportation, ie subway in nyc, and might not have personal transportation. So there is a validity to have the lightesr gear possible.

People have different wants and needs.
DJPopD 4:57 PM - 1 June, 2014
I am patiently waiting for my New DDJ SZ, been waiting since April.

I would also like a Controller that had moving 10" Platters, and and USB thumb drive input, I hope there is a company that will build one one day. but for now its the DDJ SZ and I think I can plug my Numark HDX's Or my 3900's in and use the 12" Rotating Platter for the other Decks to get that vinyl feel since its also a stand alone mixer and have the best of Both in one dj setup
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:44 AM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:
I am patiently waiting for my New DDJ SZ, been waiting since April.

I would also like a Controller that had moving 10" Platters, and and USB thumb drive input, I hope there is a company that will build one one day. but for now its the DDJ SZ and I think I can plug my Numark HDX's Or my 3900's in and use the 12" Rotating Platter for the other Decks to get that vinyl feel since its also a stand alone mixer and have the best of Both in one dj setup

a controller with 10inch motorized platters would be HEAVY AS SH!T....

The NS7 is pretty hefty with 7inch platters.... Maybe if they did that but made it a 2 channel mixer and replace some of the metal parts with plastic.
DJPopD 6:00 AM - 2 June, 2014
I know it would have some weight but I don't think it would be more than the current Ns7ii configuration, and they could put all the hot cues, effects and stuff on the mixer not the platters. and allow for a USB input so it could be a stand alone controller or work station maybe in the Future there will be a NS7-3 or a Pioneer DDJ-SZ-2 coming out, :)

3 more inches on the platters shouldn't weigh that much more and it wouldn't be as heavy as 2 Turntables, Mixer, effects unit, and crates of Cds or albums.

Wishful thinking :)
blackavenger 12:50 PM - 2 June, 2014
I just wish that the SZ-MK2 would have user programmable Oscillation EFX, EFX Send/Return, and rip off Numark's touch sensitive pots but only for the EFX knobs. I can't see another Controller be any better than that.
dj vikki +919810439994 12:30 PM - 7 October, 2014
After all the above discussion i finally found SZ seems popular - but numark - too have a presence -
Now choice to buy which one
Pioneer 1st
Numark 2nd.
My personal opinion
Thanks and best regards
Deejay Willy 3:20 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:

actually it has dual platter mode just press both the buttons at the same time
Code:E 7:11 PM - 6 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

actually it has dual platter mode just press both the buttons at the same time

I wish CDJs would do dual platter made so bad.
Deejay Willy 9:55 PM - 6 July, 2015
Cdj's is old school now digital world is more advanced in every way even in sound quality
You should give it a try
Code:E 5:57 AM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
Cdj's is old school now digital world is more advanced in every way even in sound quality
You should give it a try

*CDJ2000's

There as "digital wolrd" as you get.
Code:E 5:58 AM - 7 July, 2015
Also I am talking about dual platter when used in HID mode, if that point was lost.
Deejay Willy 9:50 PM - 7 July, 2015
yea but as i mentioned they're old school for some reasons which are :

cdj's are big with a limited options and a small screen + only 3 hot cues
the platter feels gr8 but this is not a reason i will buy an expensive player for
the only reason cdjs is so famous is that top dj's like tiesto was using it so other dj's who don't have any experience said its the best CD players in market
exactly like the iPhone people they think they have the best phone ever but eventually they have a crap phone with a limited options
company like SERATO - APPLE - PIONEER wants you to buy there products and still control you which means that you own the product and your not in control of it but its the opposite it controls you
take your time and thing about it and you will figure it out
Code:E 10:42 PM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

But have fun with Reloop and hercules dj controller. In this fantasy "new school" world you live in.
deejdave 11:26 PM - 7 July, 2015
While CDJ's are not the definition of "Digital World" as much as a controller would be I myself prefer a more capable setup as my main squeeze.

That being said most of the things said in the "CDJ's are old school" post are misinformed at best.

Quote:
cdj's are big with a limited options and a small screen + only 3 hot cues

To directly and fairly compare a CDJ setup to a professional controller (not anything made by Hercules or Reloop BTW) you would need to include a sub controller like the SP1, Neon or AFX. In terms of actual abilities a CDJ/DJM setup has far more options in terms of creativity and customization.
Quote:
the only reason cdjs is so famous is that top dj's like tiesto was using it so other dj's who don't have any experience said its the best CD players in marke

This is not accurate by any means. CDJ's have made the third largest impact on DJing second to Turntables and the crossfader style mixer with the CDJ-2000Nexus's by far being the most capable players ever.
Quote:
exactly like the iPhone people they think they have the best phone ever but eventually they have a crap phone with a limited options

People generally use what works for them. We can also debate PC's and Mac's but what is the point?
Quote:
company like SERATO - APPLE - PIONEER wants you to buy there products and still control you which means that you own the product and your not in control of it but its the opposite it controls you

This is pretty much the exact philosophy for controllers. Fun Fact: Did you know the CDJ-2000Nexus is the single most natively supported hardware device? The CDJ-2000Nexus is natively supported by SSL, SDJ, Traktor, Mixvibes, Djay Pro, Virtual DJ, even REKORDBOX and many more. Can you say ALL of these for ANY controller? Literally ................. name one.

I am all about preferences and environments and I feel these should be the defining factors of what you use. I personally choose to go with CDJ/Mixer setup as well as controllers so I get the most out of any experience.
Quote:
You should give it a try

Oh yeah BTW the top Serato controller (Pioneer DDJ-SZ) uses the same DAC as the CDJ-2000 and DJM-900SRT mixer so please explain the better sound quality? The best sound for Serato as a whole is arguably Rane gear and they don't make controllers PERIOD so .................. yeah.
pdidy 6:24 AM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

True, dude is absolutely clueless but he makes up for it by being funny as hell.

Dj willy, please continue to enlighten us with your vast knowledge. :)
Deejay Willy 3:18 PM - 8 July, 2015
its not a personal opinion as we here in the middle east use a lot of arabic songs
and arabic songs is hard to mix as they run in a efferent genre even in one track
cdj's is not accurate in catching the bpm of the arabic songs
that's why a lot of dj's hate cdj's
including me
it doesn't mean that i hate pioneer as am using ddj sx and ddj sz
but my opinion about cdj's is still the same
just because a star dj uses them it doesn't mean its the best
people will buy an iPhone just because other people said its the the best
and at the end its iPhone is in third world wide not the first as they think
while samsung is the first worldwide
just give your self time to see by your own eye and ask your self and research
why its not the first
exatly like cdj's what they offer ain't worth the price
deejdave 8:29 PM - 8 July, 2015
It all makes sense now. Nothing to see here.
blackavenger 8:39 PM - 8 July, 2015
You are aware that CDJs are the standard on every touring DJ's rider, aren't you?
Too funny.
Deejay Willy 9:06 PM - 8 July, 2015
Yeah i know but not in da middle east specially in arab countries
Deejay Willy 9:09 PM - 8 July, 2015
They keep the cdj's there but no dj uses it and am one of them
I prefer to use the ddj sz as serato or virtual dj is accurate in counting the bpm of any track
pdidy 9:24 PM - 8 July, 2015
Deejay Willy
Quote:
just because a star dj uses them it doesn't mean its the best

Im from the hood in Brooklyn NY (which some may consider a third world country) were nobody cares about these so called "super star dj's" nor do they know their names or the music they play and they still use CDJ's. Can you enlighten us as to why ?

By the way what is this "tiesto" thingy you speak of ?

Quote:
They keep the cdj's there but no dj uses it and am one of them
I prefer to use the ddj sz as serato or virtual dj is accurate in counting the bpm of any track

So without the assistance of a computer and a dj program to count bpm's for you, you're claiming that you and the dj's you know in you country would not be able to mix well ?
Deejay Willy 9:54 PM - 8 July, 2015
Mixing with ears is a must and dont think that a dj cant specially is he have long experience
A dj since 20 years now and using the bpm is not for mixing only
It helps you in effects and sample triggering
And arab djs is the best dj world wide as he play every genre in the world not one genre like house and thats it even the most difficult track won't but take from hime time to mix
And i dont mean to be offensive to other djs around the world
its not the dj to blame its the knowledge of the crowd in the middle east
Deejay Willy 9:59 PM - 8 July, 2015
Mixing with ears is a must and dont think that a dj cant specially if he have long experience
Am a dj since 20 years now and using the bpm is not for mixing only
It helps you in effects and sample triggering
And arab djs is the best dj world wide as he play every genre in the world not one genre like house and thats it .
even the most difficult track won't but take from hime time to mix
And i dont mean to be offensive to other djs around the world
its not the dj to blame its the knowledge of the crowd in the middle east
pdidy 10:32 PM - 8 July, 2015
@ Deejay Willy
How many parties would it take for you to pay for 2 CDJ2000 ?
Deejay Willy 10:41 PM - 8 July, 2015
2 parties will get me 2 cd ha and fun mixer
Rebelguy 10:47 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:

Actually as of the 4th quarter of 2014 the iPhone is the top selling smartphone in the world and Samsung has slipped to number 2.

money.cnn.com

Also, which Arab countries are we talking about? All the top clubs in Dubai I have seen photos from have CDJ-2000s as the main decks.
Deejay Willy 10:47 PM - 8 July, 2015
2 parties will get me cdjs and a djm mixer
pdidy 10:58 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Actually as of the 4th quarter of 2014 the iPhone is the top selling smartphone in the world and Samsung has slipped to number 2.

money.cnn.com

Also, which Arab countries are we talking about? All the top clubs in Dubai I have seen photos from have CDJ-2000s as the main decks.

Deejay Willy, ignore that guy and his silly facts. Your misinformed stories are far more entertaining......lol
Deejay Willy 11:24 PM - 8 July, 2015
Recheck iphone is number 3 and samsung is number 1
Rebelguy 11:27 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
Recheck iphone is number 3 and samsung is number 1

Do you have a source for your information? I have posted a link to the facts. Where are yours? Also, the race for number 1 is always between Apple and Samsung. There is no other manufacturer close to those two companies. If Samsung were number 1 then Apple would be number 2 or vice versa.
Deejay Willy 11:40 PM - 8 July, 2015
How can i attach a pic
Rebelguy 11:55 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
How can i attach a pic

You can only link to an image hosted on another site.

Don't you have a link to an article with your information?
Deejay Willy 12:24 AM - 9 July, 2015
pdidy 12:32 AM - 9 July, 2015
Deejay Willy 1:00 AM - 9 July, 2015
This is what apple people do when they know its the 3rd not the 1st
Apple leads only 3 months then samsung tops the whole year
Rebelguy 1:03 AM - 9 July, 2015

That shows hardware specs. Not sales figures.
pdidy 1:45 AM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
This is what apple people do when they know its the 3rd not the 1st
Apple leads only 3 months then samsung tops the whole year

Deejay Willy, unfortunately this forum is filled with knowledgeable users so it become a little difficult to just make shit up, you actually have to prove it.....but i have faith in you...lol
Code:E 7:56 AM - 9 July, 2015

Nobody here is going to trust that source.
dizzyrocks2001 12:55 PM - 9 July, 2015
I have the NS7ii and I love it! I've also played on the SZ and I love that too! The reason I prefer the NS7ii is I do a lot of scratching and I feel at home with the moving platters. Feature wise the two units are basically the same so it may come down to "feel". The NS7ii is heavy as f**k though lol (not as heavy as a coffin with 1200s and 5 crates of records though lol.) All that being said, I am working with a DJ who is overseeing the set up of a DJ booth of a new club that is close to opening and I suggested getting an SZ or an SX because even though I prefer the NS7ii, the other two DJs use Pioneer CDJ2000s, but we all use Serato DJ, so I figured the SZ or SX was the best overall middle ground solution - plus a Pioneer controller will have things like the performance pads and easier set up etc. which will be a bonus.
DJ Guayo 5:39 PM - 9 July, 2015
Everyone just forget the controllers and CDJs and learn to mix and scratch like this...

Watchwww.youtube.com
Ape3435 6:52 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
Feature wise the two units are basically the same so it may come down to "feel".

One with jogs the other with spinning platter, one with touch sensitive nobs, the other just rotary, hmmmm

Quote:
I am working with a DJ who is overseeing the set up of a DJ booth of a new club that is close to opening and I suggested getting an SZ or an SX because even though I prefer the NS7ii, the other two DJs use Pioneer CDJ2000s, but we all use Serato DJ, so I figured the SZ or SX was the best overall middle ground solution

NS7 11 also uses Serato DJ

Quote:
- plus a Pioneer controller will have things like the performance pads and easier set up etc. which will be a bonus.

NS7 11 also have performance pads.
dizzyrocks2001 10:41 PM - 9 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Feature wise the two units are basically the same so it may come down to "feel".

One with jogs the other with spinning platter, one with touch sensitive nobs, the other just rotary, hmmmm

Quote:
I am working with a DJ who is overseeing the set up of a DJ booth of a new club that is close to opening and I suggested getting an SZ or an SX because even though I prefer the NS7ii, the other two DJs use Pioneer CDJ2000s, but we all use Serato DJ, so I figured the SZ or SX was the best overall middle ground solution

NS7 11 also uses Serato DJ

Quote:
- plus a Pioneer controller will have things like the performance pads and easier set up etc. which will be a bonus.

NS7 11 also have performance pads.

Yes I know the NS7ii uses Serato DJ and has performance pads. I don't think I would own one and not know that lol. I was pointing out that the SZ uses Serato DJ so the transition for the other DJs who normally use CDJs will be easy because they already know and use Serato, and the SZ has performance pads and CDJs don't so that will be a bonus for the other DJs.
DJ GaFFle 9:14 PM - 10 July, 2015
Deejay Willy 9:22 PM - 10 July, 2015
Chill out bro
Its a discussion not war loool
deejdave 9:35 PM - 10 July, 2015
In a discussion there are at least two sides of productive and typically accurate & applicable information. That does not seem to be the case here.
IntensifiedZXR 3:57 AM - 27 December, 2015
Numark NS7II is Maybe the Best Among these for lot of reasons...
1.PRICE - Cheaper than $2399 SZ and bit higher than SX but a :pt Much more functionalities in Numark!
2.Moving Platters and The Mix of DVS and Turntables! being a DVS, It has Movement to make the DJ/Scratcher feel like a Real Turntable!
3.It Is the Best for Live performances and It was also used once at Ultra music Fest Stage for Mixing on there because It has got Separate FX to Each Channel Control
4.It has the a Well Synced Slicer mode! ( One of the best instant Features of NS7II)
5.(and the most important) IT CAN BE UPGRADED TO NS7III WITHOUT BUYING THE WHOLE NS7III and getting just the Attachment Screen! (NS7II and NS7III are 99% Same, though I don't know much about NS7III) I use NS7II for Primary Mixing, No SZ or No SX!
6.You can Connect Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus Decks to To NS7II for 4 Decks Hybrid DJ Set!! or you can go for NDX-400 or Native unmark Decks but It maps with CDj-2000 Nexus! That's the best thing for me and a lot, if you love CDJs and You also need features of NS7II, This can be your Life Saver! :)
BUT...
1.It Weighs Tons and is big enough comparatively!
2.Its almost not possible to fit it in a Club DJ Booth!
3.The Pitch Control Applies to every channel, not a Single structured control and same with the clip mode (SZ and SX are better in this case)
SINCE.....ALL HAVE THEIR OWN Features that make them Unique in their Own way, One Should Use Whatever Suits to Him Financially, Usability and Upon Where you DJ, because for Home DJs , the SX is the Best and Professional Performances are SZ and NS7II!
Thank You!
Hope I Could Help!
WarpNote 8:30 AM - 27 December, 2015
@IntensifiedZXR, the NS7 line is a great kit, however...

Both SX2 and SZ can run DVS, and/or CDJ2000's, if thats what you want.
Personally I dont think the NS7 platters resembles my Technics that well,
especially considering the centre spindle and no strobe dots.
I also think 7" is to small IMO.

Not to mention, with the SX/SZ you get to used to the pioneer way of things,
as it is the standard in most well equipped DJ booths.

Also remember, the slicer works the SAME across all hardware that supports it,
add a serato remote/SP1/AFX/Neon, and you can even run it with an SL box ;-)

Just because something is run on this or that stage dont make it the best ;-)
Use what you like, and enjoy the craft :D
deejdave 6:11 PM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
1.PRICE - Cheaper than $2399 SZ and bit higher than SX but a :pt Much more functionalities in Numark!

Paid $1650 for my DDJ-SZ the day it was released.
Quote:
2.Moving Platters and The Mix of DVS and Turntables! being a DVS, It has Movement to make the DJ/Scratcher feel like a Real Turntable!

IF you want moving platters then go for the real deal. Just my opinion at least and is the very reason my NS7II has sat for months without use.
Quote:
3.It Is the Best for Live performances and It was also used once at Ultra music Fest Stage for Mixing on there because It has got Separate FX to Each Channel Control

The DDJ-SZ has this but goes a step above as it has onboard built in FX as well as color filter FX which the NS7II does NOT have.
Quote:
5.(and the most important) IT CAN BE UPGRADED TO NS7III WITHOUT BUYING THE WHOLE NS7III and getting just the Attachment Screen! (NS7II and NS7III are 99% Same, though I don't know much about NS7III) I use NS7II for Primary Mixing, No SZ or No SX!

There is much more that went into the NS7II then JUST a screen so you can upgrade to a screen but you can not in nay way upgrade to an NS7III without purchasing an NS7III.
Quote:
4.It has the a Well Synced Slicer mode! ( One of the best instant Features of NS7II)

Same slicer mode as every other device that offers slicer.
Quote:
6.You can Connect Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus Decks to To NS7II for 4 Decks Hybrid DJ Set!! or you can go for NDX-400 or Native unmark Decks but It maps with CDj-2000 Nexus! That's the best thing for me and a lot, if you love CDJs and You also need features of NS7II, This can be your Life Saver! :)
BUT...

As Warpnote said you can do this and more with the NS7II.

Quote:
SINCE.....ALL HAVE THEIR OWN Features that make them Unique in their Own way, One Should Use Whatever Suits to Him Financially, Usability and Upon Where you DJ, because for Home DJs , the SX is the Best and Professional Performances are SZ and NS7II!
Thank You!
Hope I Could Help!

I agree with this. The benefits for me using the DDJ lineup (specifically the SZ) is the platters, (familiar size and feel to standard) the layout (following the traditional club standard CDJ/DJM layout) including play buttons and even the pitch controls which are on opposite sides which is literally impossible to do with CDJ's, and the dual sound card.

Don't get me wrong the NS7II is a fine piece of gear and I don't use it enough to have the issues most have with it in terms of build quality which has apparently been a widespread issue. It has some fun value but again IF I an craving the traditional spinning platter feel I want the real deal and go with my TT's because if/when I get this craving it is usually more about the vinyl itself than anything spinning and obviously the NS7II nor NS7III can satisfy this craving.
deejdave 6:18 PM - 27 December, 2015
But in the end I have learned one thing. It is all about application, needs and preferences. If I am looking to have a little fun I maybe use the NS7II, if I am looking for small yet capable I go with DDJ-SX, if I am looking for full out capabilities and performance I go with DDJ-SZ. The zinger though is scratch all this because believe it or not I have been using my Akai AMX more than any other device I own because of its small footprint and DVS capabilities LOL. Long story short...................... get your hands on whatever you can and figure out what satisfies your needs and priorities.

As the SZ is better than the NS7II...................... for me.
The NS7II may be better for some though. I just wanted to clear up the above statements as there was some confusion in the above statements as for an example I am not 100% sure where things like ...........
Quote:
being a DVS, It has Movement to make the DJ/Scratcher feel like a Real Turntable!
............... come from as this is in no way what DVS does. The DVS allows the use of analog input running time code to manipulate the music on the software. It also allows for other thru functions like record in some cases but trust that DVS in NO WAY affects the way the controller works nor does it make the DJ feel like a real tt. I simply allows the DJ to use a real TT is all.
Code:E 8:24 PM - 27 December, 2015
I tried both. And bought a DDJSZ because changing form CDJ 2000's was easier and when I have to play on CDJs I will still be as comfortable. If I used a NS7 day in and day out CDJ's would be a big change and I wouldnt feel comfortable. DDJ's have some build quality issues too (but nothing different than any other Pioneer gear). But as a club DJ the DDJ was the only way to go as for switching back and forth.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 27 December, 2015
Exactly and exactly. I would NEVER claim that the build is flawless on any of my Pio products but there is no denying that the technology is on par with the software while the same can not always be said elsewhere. This is the area that Vestax excelled in IMO. It was the fact that they offered top notch quality with great support at cheap prices that lead to a customers dream and a companies worst nightmare!!! I would honestly put a Vestax VCI-380 and possibly 400 in front of the NS7's as well. To me (and I am being honest) they are just spinning platters and really nothing else useful or different I should say. In regards to spinning platters I STILL have higher preferences and think the Denon units are a better choice. Maybe not regarding SDJ specifically as the NS7II integration is much better but overall DJ-wise yeah.
Code:E 8:55 PM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
they are just spinning platters and really nothing else useful or different I should say.

The one thing that I hopped would be the deal breaker for me to get the NS7 was the dedicated cue buttons so I can leave the pads on other setting. But pitch bending was so hard todo with the platters that I used the bend buttons at the bottom and that brought me back to the Denon 4500 dual cd player days and I dont want to go anywhere near that again.
dj_soo 4:20 AM - 28 December, 2015
I can't stand a few things on the sz - mainly the pre-fader effects, the design of the on board effects (especially the echo), the lack of post-fade hardware effects on the crossfader, the shitty crossfader lag, and the loop controls.

As far as feel goes tho, it's a pretty nice controller.

Still nothing I would ever buy.
teemac111 3:22 PM - 28 December, 2015
Quote:
I can't stand a few things on the sz - mainly the pre-fader effects, the design of the on board effects (especially the echo), the lack of post-fade hardware effects on the crossfader, the shitty crossfader lag, and the loop controls.

Exactly why I returned mine and kept the NS7II...IMO the SX2 is better than the SZ
dj_soo 10:34 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly why I returned mine and kept the NS7II...IMO the SX2 is better than the SZ

I hate the lack of tension adjustable platters on... well basically everything that's not an SZ (or the discontinued Vestax VCIs). Can't believe this isn't a standard feature.
deejdave 1:33 AM - 30 December, 2015
True but the Tension adjust's on my VCI-300's are what caused me to purchase multiples as they went often. They were literally just a metal arm that rubbed against the platter internally to cause friction. The SZ adjust's have held tight on the flip side.
dj_soo 7:15 AM - 30 December, 2015
the 380 and 400 fixed that problem
thatsblatzphemy666 6:27 AM - 20 February, 2016
@dj_soo what you rockin these days you don't mind me askin?
dj_soo 11:21 AM - 20 February, 2016
Tech12s and a 62 or a 380.
thatsblatzphemy666 5:46 AM - 21 February, 2016
nice keep up the good work bru 👍
Taipanic 4:47 PM - 22 February, 2016
+1 on the SZ, been good for me for over a year now.
The SZ also has DVS built in and is compatible with Rekord Box Performance mode, a great option for people who also have to play with USB sticks on CDJs.

I also could not look at all the red lights on the NS7 all night long - probably the biggest deal breaker for me. Still holding out hope that Denon will come out with some new spinning platter controller that has everything I want.
Kjay 7:22 PM - 29 March, 2017
Quote:
Everyone just forget the controllers and CDJs and learn to mix and scratch like this...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Or this:
Watchwww.youtube.com

I couldn't resist!
IAMDJDK 3:14 PM - 9 September, 2017
I love my turntables and 62 but as much as I gig, downtown Austin and outskirt bars, I'm thinking of getting the DDJ-SZ. I'll leave my turntables at home.
IAMDJDK 3:15 PM - 9 September, 2017
I have a NS7 and it's just as heavy as carrying turntables.
DJ RoachC 11:38 PM - 28 September, 2017
I got rid of my DDJ-SZ because it was so heavy once I had it in a case. I got the Roland DJ 808. The platters aren't as big as the SZ but I could work with it
IAMDJDK 10:43 PM - 17 November, 2017
Got a steal on a new DDJ-SZ for $1000. Guitar Center typed in the incorrect price on an open box online.
DJ KALEAF 6:02 AM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
I got rid of my DDJ-SZ because it was so heavy once I had it in a case. I got the Roland DJ 808. The platters aren't as big as the SZ but I could work with it

How do you like using the Dj 808 live t your gigs??? Ive considered buying it, but I'm worried about the platters on the dj808?
deejdave 11:20 PM - 14 January, 2018
Not much to worry about. They are one of the best platters available on any controller.
DJ RoachC 9:53 PM - 20 January, 2019
I like the SZ better than the DJ 808
So Fresh 7:41 AM - 21 January, 2019
Honestly take a peek at the dz1200mkii’s

www.instagram.com

I use that as my controller set up
dj_soo 8:08 AM - 21 January, 2019
Quote:
I like the SZ better than the DJ 808

Can’t stand the prefader effects personally,