DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best arguments to prove that we are no Fake-DJ`s using Serato

Menace 5:53 PM - 22 March, 2006
I hear quiete often that we are Fake-DJ`s using a Laptop and Serato. I use it with the timecode vinyls. What I do sometimes to convince them: I hand over my headphones and let people scratch the record which is not playing loud at that time.

What are doing to prove that using Serato is still like real DJing and no faking?
sixxx 5:55 PM - 22 March, 2006
I just do what I always do... give them a great performance. Actions speak louder than words.
DJ Mo Rada 5:57 PM - 22 March, 2006
Saying that we are fake DJ's makes absolutley no sense. We are allowed to advance in technology. So now we dont have to worry about carrying our crates or searching through a pile for a record. Now we have time to work on how fast and creative we can cue and mix 3 or 4 tracks in 1 mminute.

Using Serato just raises the bar.Where we would be if DJ's were still using Belt Drive Turntables?
nik39 5:59 PM - 22 March, 2006
I wear sixxx sexy t-shirt and point to the printing on the back which says "No Microwave DJs allowed" :D
Menace 6:05 PM - 22 March, 2006
Maybe some people are just to conservative and they think a real DJ needs real records who spins the old school style.

These people will probably never sign a patent for new techniques :-) .
Menace 6:07 PM - 22 March, 2006
Oops, there is a little mistake in the question above. It should mean:

What are YOU doing to prove that using Serato is still like real DJing and no faking?
sixxx 6:09 PM - 22 March, 2006
Quote:
I wear sixxx sexy t-shirt and point to the printing on the back which says "No Microwave DJs allowed" :D

hahahaha

If you wanna know what nik39 is talkinga about go here: zazzle.com*
robriot 6:09 PM - 22 March, 2006
hahah my friend said i was cheating because you can see the waveforms. i gave him the headfones for a shot and he totally lost the mix. i took the headfones off him and gave him a smirk.. actions DO speak louder than words.
sixxx 6:09 PM - 22 March, 2006
Oh yeah, it's the one that says SSL pride - see the back of the shirt.
nik39 6:09 PM - 22 March, 2006
You gotta click on the SSL Pride shirt and look at the back of the shirt.
nik39 6:10 PM - 22 March, 2006
Dang, too slow.
Menace 6:11 PM - 22 March, 2006
And I thought sixxx is sexy :-)
Menace 6:13 PM - 22 March, 2006
good shirts
sixxx 6:13 PM - 22 March, 2006
thanks
sixxx 6:15 PM - 22 March, 2006
Quote:
And I thought sixxx is sexy :-)

huh?
Menace 6:18 PM - 22 March, 2006
I was just joking. Nik39 wrote "I wear sixxx sexy t-shirt". It could also mean a shirt with sixxx on it :-) .
thenewyorkgiant 7:09 PM - 22 March, 2006
Quote:
Using Serato just raises the bar.Where we would be if DJ's were still using Belt Drive Turntables?

GOLDEN!!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:43 PM - 22 March, 2006
I rock Belt Drives!

denon 5ks LOL
DJBlisk 8:03 PM - 22 March, 2006
i just tell them to eat shit and get out of the fing booth.
SloMocean 8:37 PM - 22 March, 2006
^^ My favorite so far =)
lancota 9:39 PM - 22 March, 2006
You know what, the same thing happened when people saw DJ's using CDJ's in a club environment. They automatically believe that that person is just playin a mixed CD. But now, most of the DJ's that play Trance, House, Techno are all either using CDJ's in some form or laptops.

I find it's those who can't see further than their own ignorance who say that we're "cheating". They'll soon be weeded out cause more and more people are adopting the medium.

P.S. one of these people is my dj friend who taught me everything about mixing and playin to crowds.... it's just sad that he's still so narrow minded.
djransom 9:48 PM - 22 March, 2006
Quote:
I just do what I always do... give them a great performance. Actions speak louder than words.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
DJBlisk 10:31 PM - 22 March, 2006
most of those people wouldn't know ish about djing. why respond to ignorant people?
DJ SOLO 10:55 PM - 22 March, 2006
Here's the bottom line:

You still have to know how to manipulate records to use SSL. It's not like those people who use a rackmount CD jog control and fade between CDs. You're STILL USING TURNTABLES!!!! If you can't do it with vinyl, you can't do it with Serato. And if I see any people fakin the funk, weather on wax, CDJs, or SSL, I'm gonna let y'all know.

I wasn't a SSL believer even after I bought it, then I saw DJ Revolution do a set with it and it was over. You can juggle, skratch, and mix and there are NO secret shortcuts anywhere on SSL. Period!
sixxx 11:23 PM - 22 March, 2006
You may want to rethink and retype what you just wrote DJ SOLO.

:)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:40 PM - 22 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
i've yet to meet someone hating on me and my ssl (maybe cause i haven't done clubs or battles....just weddings).

the most common feedback i get is that of amazement (that the music is 'not' coming from the wax, but from the computer / usb sl1 box)... all the other feedback for those who are familiar with DJ'ing goes like this: "yo homie, aaaaaaah sh!t yeah boy, Serato's tha Sh!t yo" *giving the closed fist to do the wonder twins thingy (don't know the name of the expression :)*
Dj Ace 11:40 PM - 22 March, 2006
Here is how you prove Serato is REAL DJing scientifically:

DJ A:First find someone who can mix that hasn't used it (who is a good DJ,

DJ B:Second find someone who has never DJ-ed (or who is weak!).

Conclusion: DJ A is Still ripping it, while DJ B still sucks.
sG 11:41 PM - 22 March, 2006
yea... there is a relative mode... w/ shortcuts all over it.
twinsouls 11:54 PM - 22 March, 2006
OK OK- I got to get up in here. there was another thread like this one but I'm not gonna look for it now( they should number this forum so we can skip to that page).

Ill put my money on it that most of the people who would even talk sh** don't even DJ themselves or do anything with music for that matter. They just listen to it which entitles them to no opinion whatsoever when it comes to this music thing we do. If you are in fact a DJ and I mean a real DJ cause anyone can get two CD players and play music all night long, then you should know whats up with SSL. So get out the bedroom and know what the FU** is going on, fake ass DJ's who couldn't scratch his back if it itched.

I used to hear the same bull when it came to making beats or just hip hop in general mainly by heads that were all into rock music. They would say that hip hop is all samples and fake drums and that the machines did everything for you. So to prove this theory had nothing to do with machines I bought me a drum set and shut them up real quick. In fact playing live drums are even easier because you dont have to program them the only real difference is stamina because playing gives you hell of a work out. It's all about talent. The Beats are all in your Heart, Soul and Mind.

The Bottom-Bottom line is this:
No talent = No Results
This is what people dont get. This is why people will buy a guitar and never learn to play it.Because even if they make time to learn it, they will never get it down because the talent does not exsist. And if they have the talent, they don't make time to practice or beleive that it's to hard. This is what I call "waisted talent". There's just no passion for it. Leaning all these things myself, I can now scratch my own guitar and drums with SSL.

Drum Machines or Drum Set, Piano or Keyboard, CDJ's, Turntables or Serato Scratch Live----No matter what you use,Without the talent for what it is you wanna do, you will get nowhere..... I'M OUT!!
Revolutionary 11:59 PM - 22 March, 2006
Quote:
Maybe some people are just to conservative and they think a real DJ needs real records who spins the old school style.

The control records are real records :)
AKIEM 12:15 AM - 23 March, 2006
years ago I thought clocking ur vinyl was "cheating" but Ive since realized its about rocking the party by any means
m0rph! 1:16 AM - 23 March, 2006
Quote:
Serato's tha Sh!t yo" *giving the closed fist to do the wonder twins thingy (don't know the name of the expression :)*

Umm... that's called a pound. :-)
m0rph! 1:20 AM - 23 March, 2006
front of my t-Shirt:
DARN RIGHT I'm using Serato up in here!

back of my t-shirt:
Step off, BIZZZNATCH!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 1:23 AM - 23 March, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Serato's tha Sh!t yo" *giving the closed fist to do the wonder twins thingy (don't know the name of the expression :)*

Umm... that's called a pound. :-)
Ha! i'm like 'doh'

this always works.... get a stage (puts a barrier between u and the audience)...next use fireworks if they get too close --> Watchwww.youtube.com
hologram 7:01 PM - 24 March, 2006
usual scenerio.

idiot comes up starts talking trash about me using serato.

Some well known/respected Turntabilist or Club DJ comes up, and idiot goes into groupy mode.
The well known/respected Turntabilist gives me a pound and says something to the effect of "they like what I'm doing with the serato". Then they ask if they can show me something on it, wich usualy turns out to some wicked shiznit.

idiot looks dumb found and walks away with his tail between his legs.

I luv those nights
dj delic 7:30 PM - 24 March, 2006
"By all means necassary"
Spin Dr's 7:45 PM - 24 March, 2006
i've yet to meet someone hating on me and my ssl (maybe cause i haven't done clubs or battles....just weddings).

the most common feedback i get is that of amazement (that the music is 'not' coming from the wax, but from the computer / usb sl1 box)... all the other feedback for those who are familiar with DJ'ing goes like this: "yo homie, aaaaaaah sh!t yeah boy, Serato's tha Sh!t yo" *giving the closed fist to do the wonder twins thingy (don't know the name of the expression :)*

@DJ Mike Coquilla........i'm with you on this one! I did a wedding last night and it was for a bunch of yuppies. I didn't know who these people were b/c the gig came through one of my wedding coordinators that I work with. Anyways, this Asian business man comes up to me and was very impressed w/SSL and the set up I had. I began explaining to him how everything works just like how you mentioned above. He then gestured me the "pound" which is what you were referring to as the "expression".

The funniest part was that he called his 16yr old son over to look at my system while I was mixing. I started scratchin' for them and they were just blown away. Before he left he turned to his son and said, "see you can be a DJ too!". I IMMEDIATELY grabbed him and said...."it's not as easy as you think." and then finished by telling him that the system is only as good as the person behind the equipment.
nik39 12:29 AM - 14 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

hahahaha

If you wanna know what nik39 is talkinga about go here: zazzle.com*

sixxxa... (and others) check these fly shirts www.spreadshirt.net <-click.

A DJ IS NOT A JUKEBOX

haha :)) Well okay,... some are ;)
DJ Hondai 5:19 AM - 14 May, 2006
hmm, ... is it me, who's rocking the house or you?

--- I don't care if someones talking bullshit... I've seen enough DJs just using laptops and enough others who are doin' playback mixes sometimes and instead of working the TTs they are programming some synthies and stuff. I remember also an Tech House DJ, he played all nite just with a groovebox and nothingelse and it was really tight.

Whatever you do to make your sound individual and the mix unique - justifies any kind of gear.

As for myself: SSL makes it much easier to keep tracks in beat, 'cause of the visuals... So I can concentrate more on effects and stuff to spice up the tune.
lesterdiamond 3:39 PM - 16 May, 2006
Not a goddamn thing. Fuck em
lesterdiamond 3:40 PM - 16 May, 2006
I'd spin on my cell phone if i could
dj shadow from detroit 4:21 PM - 16 May, 2006
first off a real dj started off with vinyl
then maybe cdj's
then serato
but a real performance is by a dj using vinyl or serato!!
i dont like a cd dj------i wanna see performance
i never seen someone rock a party using cd's!!!!
that is my opinion
s42000 4:50 PM - 16 May, 2006
Quote:
What I do sometimes to convince them

Should anyone say that you are fake with SSL, this is what I recommend ....

1) Turn and face your accuser face to face
2) Step back at least 3 feet
3) Lift Arm in front of you parallel to the gound
4) Turn arm and make sure palm if facing the sky
5) Clench your fist
6) Lift middle finger up (pointing to the sky)
7) Be prepared to make a hasty exit should accuser go medival
8) Repeat (only if accused again)
__
Menace 6:11 PM - 16 May, 2006
:-)
Zion-Prayz 1:49 AM - 17 May, 2006
Jazzy Jeff, A-Trak, Rob Swift, Revolution, etc.
dj shadow from detroit 2:27 AM - 17 May, 2006
waxx tax n dre!!!! from detroit!!!!!
dj shadow from detroit 11:34 AM - 17 May, 2006
me too!

it take's more talent to spin record's all night then to use serato all night!

trust me i know i been there
but serato make's you sound better
1 give's you more tool's to use
2 you become a faster dj
3 no more bringing 8 crate's
serato take's djing to another level!!
by using serato you still have to have skill's and talent!
i feel if you never started off djing with record's and digging through crate's of record's for hour's and year's then you are missing something!!!
Dj Chinn 1:56 PM - 17 May, 2006
Sometime I spin at a well known club in cincinati and every DJ there but one owns Serato. It is awesome. I have yet to meet anyone that has made a comment about not liking SSL. Everyone who see's me using it weather it be a house party or spinning at the hotttest club, everyone is amazed about how Djing is getting and wants to know more about SSL
Menace 6:58 PM - 17 May, 2006
A few weeks ago in a famous club here in Berlin a DJ from Italy used Final Scratch 2. Guess what, it crashed on his PC-Laptop and there was no music for about 2 minutes.

SSL rules.
dj synystr 1:45 PM - 18 May, 2006
i don;t know about you but i NEVER heard i was a "fake dj" or a "cheating dj"
dj shadow from detroit 1:58 PM - 18 May, 2006
me either

but i do feel a cd dj is a cheater!!!!
dj synystr 2:23 PM - 18 May, 2006
not at all. i use them when ever i have to bring my equipment to an event. they are lighter, more stable meaning wont jump and sound cleaner with ssl, no need for calibration, you can copy your ssl cds and just keep the master under lock and key. if the venue has tables i'll rock them. i can do anything on a cdj that i can do on a tt to me there is no difference. i used to have that same thinking as you but once i started using them out more i loved them more for the main reason i stated plus a few others.
earwolf 4:30 PM - 18 May, 2006
i agree with them, then i turn and drop my pants, do a tarzan yell and with ONE FLICK OF A SWITCH bust instant doubles of this refix which mi bredrin cut on a dub jus las weeken in kingstaaaaaan ya feel?

serato is fake baby
they've blown my cover
the gig is up
'cause they discovered
I'm a fake
baby
no need to hide it
Can't change they mind
'cause they've decided -
I'm a fake
baby
and they're disgusted
The game is through and
dood I'm busted
fake!

BUMBAAAARAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS
dj shadow from detroit 4:31 PM - 18 May, 2006
i cant argue with you you made great point's and i respect you!
i been djing since 1990 (im old school)
if im at a party and i see a cd dj i wanna leave (quick)
since the cdj came out i can count on one hand how many dj's can rock them the right way!
not saying you cant (you probably can)
but i have more respect for someone using turntable's!
i seen way to many cd dj's put a mix cd on and walk around or act like there mixing when it is a mix cd!

i seen a dj here in detroit playing a mix cd when the (radio station was there live on the mic hosting) i was sick!!!!
like he was afraid to make a mistake
shit i wanna make a mistake so i can come back and light that shit up!!!
djransom 5:24 PM - 18 May, 2006
Quote:
then maybe cdj's
then serato
that is my opinion

Come to Chi-Town and you'll notice quite a few DJs rockin parties using CDs. One of my buddies does it on the regular. Before I switched to Serato I was doin it. It's not the medium that rocks the party, but the DJ who rocks the party. You can be whack and using vinyl and/or CDs.
dj shadow from detroit 6:13 PM - 18 May, 2006
yea true a good dj can rock it using a dual cassatte deck!

but i rather see the world's best dj on turntable's
then the world's best dj on cd's period!!!
if you never went record shopping then you dont understand!!!
everyone in there mom think they can dj!!!
how you gonna go to a party with cd's?
maybe for a young crowd because they dont appreciate vinyl!!
but a real dj has been through cassatte's,vinyl,cd's and vinyl!!
i feel a real performance isnt by someone who pop's in a cd and walk's around or who put's on a mix cd because there lazy or because they dont feel like performing!!!
that shit is wack that is not a dj a dj cant wait to start spinning as soon as they get to there spot period.
these cd's messed up the industry when it come's to turntabilism!

im not saying no one can not rock cdj's i seen it a coulpe of time's
but a real dj uses vinyl!!!!
or in point in there life they used it!!!!
when you go through all record digging trying to find that song you been wanting for 10 year's then graduate to serato and it will make you a better dj!!!
serato is not cheating
and in no way is it cheating using serato on less your playing a mix cd acting like it is you!
dj shadow from detroit 6:19 PM - 18 May, 2006
no but all this new gear everyone can become a dj alot easier
(not saying serato)
but cd's
and these automatic beat matcher's!!!
i respect all dj's because all differsnt dj's can do stuff different
dj shadow from detroit 6:48 PM - 18 May, 2006
mixing is mixing!!!
what is a turntabilist? not a cd dj
cdilism hahahahha
look this is my opinion right or wrong no disrespect i will never be a cd dj!
Menace 6:50 PM - 18 May, 2006
The best way to catch a DJ with a Mix-CD or whatever: Ask what the current song is. So did I because I saw the faking. The funny thing is the DJ didn`t even know the name of the song :-) . He was like "I can`t tell right now. Please write me an Email and then I can tell you".
dj shadow from detroit 6:55 PM - 18 May, 2006
haaaaaaaaaaaaa
that is what im talking about that is why these cheap dj's mess the game up for us!
they wanna pay us 150-200 for a gig because of this!
dj shadow from detroit 7:20 PM - 18 May, 2006
i agree that is why serato make's it easiier!

that is awesome that she does that!
djing is feeling and feeling is djing
Menace 7:35 PM - 18 May, 2006
If it was a White Label he would`t have given me his Email address to tell me later. Actually he faked with FS records and with a Laptop which he only touched once at the start. So it was faking.
dj shadow from detroit 8:26 PM - 18 May, 2006
i agree
twinsouls 2:20 AM - 19 May, 2006
I dont think the general public really gives a Sh** bout what we do and how we do it period. Other DJ's only have rights to opinions and if you are in fact a DJ, that means you keep up with the times. So if they don't know bout Serato Scratch Live, then you clown them not the opposite...Peace.
hologram 5:09 AM - 20 May, 2006
Lol I did a 60's motown party last night at Chrome/Santa fe station and the sound guys was like "wait a minute, We have a real DJ tonight, He actually showed up for sound check, early at that and he's using serato." I laughed my ass off. Was cool that the Sound guy even knew what was serato was.
DJ Nevoc 9:46 PM - 20 May, 2006
Quote:
then maybe cdj's
then serato
that is my opinion

Shadow You need to come party with us in LA < Lower Alabama!!!
DJ Nevoc 9:49 PM - 20 May, 2006
Hey anyone check out that you tube video and notice how much his table shakes back and forth!!! Jesus Man your tone arm would be jumpin!!!
dj shadow from detroit 11:23 PM - 20 May, 2006
nevoc have a good weekend bro!!!!!!!!

check out remix on myspace detroitddjshadow
ekalb 8:54 AM - 21 May, 2006
it could have been worse if used final scratch
SolKim 10:03 AM - 21 May, 2006
"Best arguments to prove that we are no Fake-DJ`s using Serato"

Should it even matter? Fuck what other people think. These are the same retards that request "Shoulder Lean" and "Its Goin Down" 12 times a night, at EVERY club they go to, for 6 months straight. And if it bugs you that much having to defend yourself, maybe you ARE a fake DJ?
matt212 2:23 PM - 21 May, 2006
Quote:
These are the same retards that request "Shoulder Lean" and "Its Goin Down" 12 times a night...

You get them same request too. LOL! I just yell in the mic, if anybody ask for Young Joc, Young Dro, Young Jeezy, Young Leek, anybody with Young in thier name, I'm cutting this shit off and I'm playing Young Micheal Jackson all night. Let me do my damn job, you Young bastards! Yall can use that line if needed, I give you permission.

As far as Vinyl and CD's, I have and use both. I've been DJing since 1989, and back then I used vinyl and cassettes. I don't consider myself less of a DJ when I use CD's, its all about how you rock the crowd. I use whatever fits the need and the mood. Sometimes I want Vinyl, sometimes I want CD's. But to put it in perspective, we all look like fakes to older DJ's, not unless we show up with Reel to Reels and 8 Tracks. Imagine that. Hmmmm.
matt212 2:38 PM - 21 May, 2006
To add, I use the turntable CD players, not the dual decks. So I guess that counts as a turntable too, like vinyl. So are yall talking about the dual decks or the CD turntables or both when it comes to the CDJ hostility? Either way, I can rock SSL with vinyl turntables or CD turntables, and that's all that counts. Now, all this Ipod and straight computer DJing, I'll probably sound like Shadow in regards to that.
dj shadow from detroit 3:47 PM - 21 May, 2006
cdj's are cool if you been through the up's and down's of vinyl
i respect that!!!!
but if you started djing with cd's that is my problem!!!!
cdj's are not like vinyl!!!!!
that is why record sale's are dying because of people who dont respect real djing and where it came from!!!!!!!!
dj shadow from detroit 4:05 PM - 21 May, 2006
you buy a cd for 10-20 dollar's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
with 1-2 good song's
buy a single on vinyl-----accapella-instrumental-clean-dirty
for how much???????

and if your a producer you need that accapella-instrumental!!!!
buying q bert scratch record's or dj rectangle!!!!!
JohnDP1 6:52 PM - 21 May, 2006
@ DJ Shadow...there are people that don't play Hip Hop. Live with it.

btw I support the industry much more than I did by buying vinyl because if you buy digital from the labels directly or via dedicated sites like Traxsource (not iTunes) the label and the artists get WAY more than through vinyl sales.

Example: If I buy a track with 4 mixes in promo edition I pay 8 USD and that is 8 USD that go entirely to the label whereas if I buy a 8 USD vinyl, I bet you the label sees less than 1 USD.

So tell me, WHO is supporting the music here?
earwolf 7:31 PM - 21 May, 2006
yeah but john is you keepin it real? otherwise shadow can't give you his respect man, and don't try to tell me you don't want his respect man
dj shadow from detroit 2:36 AM - 22 May, 2006
using serato is no fake!!!!!
but putting in a mix cd is!!!!!!
punosion 3:53 AM - 22 May, 2006
You're so "old skool" and against CD DJ's, I'm surprised Serato even made the cut as far as "real DJ'ing" goes.
nik39 4:00 AM - 22 May, 2006
Quote:
btw I support the industry much more than I did by buying vinyl because if you buy digital from the labels directly or via dedicated sites like Traxsource (not iTunes) the label and the artists get WAY more than through vinyl sales.

Example: If I buy a track with 4 mixes in promo edition I pay 8 USD and that is 8 USD that go entirely to the label whereas if I buy a 8 USD vinyl, I bet you the label sees less than 1 USD.

Good point, but how much do you actually spend on the music now? One 12" with 2 songs you liked was lets say at 10$, now with your online stores you pay $2 for 2 songs. Do you really think that the difference of money which the artist will get is significantly different?
dj shadow from detroit 1:08 PM - 22 May, 2006
im not old school i never said serato is fake!!!
i said my opinion on cd's!!!
no disrespect but a cd dj is not the same!!!
punosion 1:37 PM - 22 May, 2006
OK, one question that's going to seal the deal for me...do you consider a "mix only" DJ who doesn't scratch a real DJ?
DJ Nick Lee 4:53 PM - 22 May, 2006
just looking at this from a hobbiest perspective it's a little disapointing to see that vinyl is dying because of alternative forms of media. i use serato, i use cd's, and i download, but there is nothing like the conection that you have with vinyl. i can pick any record from my collection of thousands and remember when and where i bought it, but that connection is lost in many other forms. stop jumping on shadow and realize that it's just a difference in opinion. honestly, there is no way that anyone can dispute the fact that the true essence of dj'ing are turntables, vinyl and a microphone.
dj shadow from detroit 4:57 PM - 22 May, 2006
cd's are a lazy man's way out and because of people like you real dj's dont get payed like they use too!!!!anybody can beat match but not everyone can put on a show!!!!!
there are a few dj's who can rock cd's!!!(you might be one)

punosion yes a real dj scratche's
unless your a weddind dj!!!!
sorry but a real dj can do it all!!!!!!
if i go to the club and i see a cd dj i have no respect!!!!
that is a lazy way that is why dj's dont get payed enuff!!!!
because you get these people trying to get job's djing and they use cd's that is bullshit!!!!!
i consider a cd dj lazy who f$cked the game up!!!!
know what???????
djransom 5:27 PM - 22 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

punosion yes a real dj scratche's
unless your a weddind dj!!!!

Looking beyond the obvious contradition in that statement, what if you're a house, drum-n-bass, downtempo, rock-n-roll or EDM DJ?

Quote:
sorry but a real dj can do it all!!!!!!
if i go to the club and i see a cd dj i have no respect!!!!
that is a lazy way that is why dj's dont get payed enuff!!!!
because you get these people trying to get job's djing and they use cd's that is bullshit!!!!!
i consider a cd dj lazy who f$cked the game up!!!!
know what???????

Ahh... now I see. You should really let go of that bitterness; just because a person uses vinyl doesn't mean they're more entitled to a paying job than a person using CD's. Elevate your own game and quit worrying about what other people are doing.

Gotta agree w/ you on the last statement seriously. You would bump heads w/ alot of DJs here in Chi City w/ that statement seriously. Just because you use CDs doesn't make you lazy, hell CDJs allows more creativity if anything. You don't respect that art itself if you can't respect the fact that DJing is not based on the medium used. It's based on how the DJ performs.
JohnDP1 5:59 PM - 22 May, 2006
do we and by WE I mean all people with some brains, realize that DJ's like DJ Shadow from Detroit are talking utter bullshit and that we should not even take care about responding to him?

I mean however equates CDJ's with fakers is simply somebody that does not know anything about anything...

On a more general note strangely enough the more you wander into newbie forums, or newbie users, the more you'll find the "yeah, keep it real" kinda of talking.

I even had an encounter with a DJ that after his record skipped because it had a severe scratch through the middle of it, shouted out proud "yep, that doesn't happen with CD's, vinyl will never die".

But I am lucky to meet such people, because they make me laugh and hey, the world would be a better place and lets not always overreact to such stupid statements.

I BET you that if I'd come into this forum with a false nickname and flame on a general issue I could laugh for several weeks. So do we all, me included, realize how STUPID it is to engage into hefty discussions with people that apparently have no brain mass?
JohnDP1 6:01 PM - 22 May, 2006
do we and by WE I mean all people with some brains, realize that DJ's like DJ Shadow from Detroit are talking utter bullshit and that we should not even take care about responding to him?

I mean however equates CDJ's with fakers is simply somebody that does not know anything about anything...

On a more general note strangely enough the more you wander into newbie forums, or newbie users, the more you'll find the "yeah, keep it real" kinda of talking.

I even had an encounter with a DJ that after his record skipped because it had a severe scratch through the middle of it, shouted out proud "yep, that doesn't happen with CD's, vinyl will never die".

But I am lucky to meet such people, because they make me laugh and hey, the world would be a better place and lets not always overreact to such stupid statements.

I BET you that if I'd come into this forum with a false nickname and flame on a general issue I could laugh for several weeks. So do we all, me included, realize how STUPID it is to engage into hefty discussions with people that apparently have no brain mass?

BTW, Nick39, I assure you, no I guarantee you that If I buy 2 releases a' 1.99 USD instead of a vinyl release a 9.99 USD, the artist gets more cash with the digital sale. Its a fact. Besides, I sometimes buy all the 4-5 tracks making that about 9-10 USD digitally, which means a HELL lot more cash goes to the producer. This is also a fact [I work for a label that sells both digital and vinyl, so I am not daydreaming]
nik39 6:11 PM - 22 May, 2006
John, I am not declining it, I was just questioning. If people buy from iTunes for example this wont make a big difference, thats probably what I was referring to. The labels still make the big profit (iTunes, cut off the part which apple gets) and its a valid question to ask how much money to the artist see in the end?

BTW. I havent spent much thoughts about it, but I am not sure if it helps if you just buy more tracks at lower rates (assuming the artists get less money for one and the same track). There is a certain amount of costs producing a track (incl. all costs like time you spent on it, educating yourself, promoting etc.) makes. So if this cost is fixed, then by buying more tracks at lower rates paid for each (still talking about the part which the artist gets), isnt it a worse deal for the artist? For the same work, he gets less money. So to compensate, you say that you buy more tracks. But this means also more work for the artist?

Thinking loud.

BTW, its nik39, not nick/dick/sick39 or whatever ;)
dj shadow from detroit 6:38 PM - 22 May, 2006
okay im done no disrespect!!!!!
but we all have opinions!!!!!
yeah half the people in a club dont care what your playing on as long as you are rocking it right?.........but why is it when they find out your using turntable's your more respected???
i been djing since 1990 and cd's are great!!!(it's more convienent) if your a good dj it does not matter as long as your playing hot track's but using cd's you are not a turntabilist sorry to tell you that......if you wanna just play music and mix yeah cd's are good................
SolKim 7:12 PM - 22 May, 2006
I'm on DJ Shadow from Detroit's Side. When I first got into DJing, it was the vinyl and turntable aspect of it that hooked me. Thats why I got Tech 1200's rather than CDJ's. If you ask 100 people "What kind of equipment do DJ's Use?" I bet over 90% of them would say two TURNTABLES, a mixer and a microphone" Not CD players. I even consider Serato as cheating. If you dont think it is, you are in straight up denial. I still rock out the SSL everywhere I go, but at the same time, I only play my vinyl when I'm at home. I've probably been on the Serato longer than almost everyone on here, and probably the FIRST in Atlanta to have SSL and yes i do think it makes playing a lot easier. Not just from the carrying vinyl aspect, but cue points, wave forms, looping etc. It really does take talent to juggle snares, or to find breaks in a song or to cue up songs according to a little sticker on your vinyl. Serato eliminates all of that, it eliminates digging for precious vinyl (if you dont think digging for vinyl is an important aspect of DJing you are too dumb to understand and will always be a microwave DJ), it takes away from the true essence of DJing.
djransom 7:24 PM - 22 May, 2006
Quote:
I'm on DJ Shadow from Detroit's Side. When I first got into DJing, it was the vinyl and turntable aspect of it that hooked me. Thats why I got Tech 1200's rather than CDJ's. If you ask 100 people "What kind of equipment do DJ's Use?" I bet over 90% of them would say two TURNTABLES, a mixer and a microphone" Not CD players. I even consider Serato as cheating. If you dont think it is, you are in straight up denial. I still rock out the SSL everywhere I go, but at the same time, I only play my vinyl when I'm at home. I've probably been on the Serato longer than almost everyone on here, and probably the FIRST in Atlanta to have SSL and yes i do think it makes playing a lot easier. Not just from the carrying vinyl aspect, but cue points, wave forms, looping etc. It really does take talent to juggle snares, or to find breaks in a song or to cue up songs according to a little sticker on your vinyl. Serato eliminates all of that, it eliminates digging for precious vinyl (if you dont think digging for vinyl is an important aspect of DJing you are too dumb to understand and will always be a microwave DJ), it takes away from the true essence of DJing.

Cats kill me w/ this vinyl is better than CDJs attitude. Just like Serato is convenient for you, CDJs can be viewed the same way. It seems like there is alot of contradiction going on in this thread.
SolKim 7:58 PM - 22 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Cats kill me w/ this vinyl is better than CDJs attitude. Just like Serato is convenient for you, CDJs can be viewed the same way. It seems like there is alot of contradiction going on in this thread.

CDJs are cheating just like Serato is cheating. I'm not knocking anyone for using CDJ's or Serato... I use Serato! I'm just saying if you arent able to realize that it IS cheating, youre fooling yourself.
Dj KaGeN 8:53 PM - 22 May, 2006
SSL has saved me so much time and money, I'm now cheating out the record stores since I do not have to stand in there for hours sorting thru records and overpaying for a single song while the record has 3 other crappy others songs on it. This also gave me a big advantage over others since my SSL crates are perfectly organized too...oh, and I can dig thru 10,000+ songs in a flash. I guess I'm cheating my back out of the hellish workout hauling overlaoded crates, cheated my truck out of dragging heavy records bins across the seat. But, I HAVE cheated the crowd less since I don't say, "I left that 'record' at home". Not using SSL, you're cheating yourself out of the luxuries of technology.
Menace 9:24 PM - 22 May, 2006
Quote:
Not using SSL, you're cheating yourself out of the luxuries of technology.

Oh yes, that`s right.
djtoeknee 9:52 PM - 22 May, 2006
i had to add my 2 cents
not one person noted that club owners don't give a crap about what you got. they barley give a room the size of a closet to play. so if you did rock the night, not with this crappy 2 hour set, but 8pm to close are you gonna do it with 2 ft behind you to carry 5 to 10 crates. also, how about these local acts, the good ones, that want you to play their tracks most don't press up vinyl like they used to. basiclly "You can't knock the Hustle"
were all trying to get ours why not support instead of argue.
Sorry for going deep.
punosion 11:06 PM - 22 May, 2006
Wow, OK, all I gotta' say is...dj shadow from detroit? You need to go do your homework. May I suggest the following:

www.amazon.com

DJ'ing did NOT start with the advent of the scratch. How many times do I have to say this. So, I use turntables, nothing else. Do you respect me? I don't scratch...do you respect me now? Am I a fake DJ because I don't scratch? Were all those other DJ's who came before you or I fake because they didn't scratch? How 'bout I skip the turntable for a "skip-free" CD DJ...all I'm using on turntables and a CD DJ is the pitch slider anyway (no, I'm not using the beat counters, obviously impossible with SSL). Why would I be fake?

Get a better argument and come back. I'd love to hear another attempt.
punosion 11:32 PM - 22 May, 2006
Quote:
I love how this thread turned into a demonstration of its title. ;)

Doing what I can to further the discussion... ;)
dj shadow from detroit 12:37 AM - 23 May, 2006
1-----turntable's
2-----mixing
3-----scratching
4-----beat juggiling
5-----showmanship
how do you show skill's with cd's!!!?
no one care's about a cd dj?
nik39 12:42 AM - 23 May, 2006
"?" - question
"!" - answer/emphasized statement

Are you asking or giving statements?
dj shadow from detroit 12:44 AM - 23 May, 2006
asking and given
nik39 12:45 AM - 23 May, 2006
Quote:

Which one is the question and which one is the statement?
punosion 12:45 AM - 23 May, 2006
My point is elements 3 and 4 did not exist when the DJ was invented (and hadn't existed for a number of decades until recently), and a LOT of people at the clubs running around getting drunk chasing girls wouldn't care about number 5...maybe at the DMC's, but I'm quite sure not in the club. There is something to be said about some guy hovering over a laptop staring through a monitor through the whole set, but if a club-goer sees a DJ moving back and forth between two devices...number 1 solved. Number 2, a CD DJ can mix (not scratching, not beat juggling...just mixing) just as well as a turntable DJ, if not faster (trust me, I started out on...wait for it...CD DJ's, then went to turntables).

Uh oh, last sentence gave it away...guess I'm a fake now.
dj shadow from detroit 12:57 AM - 23 May, 2006
im done with this i said what i had tooooo!!!!!
punosion 1:04 AM - 23 May, 2006
Aww, don't go! I wanted to see a solid argument!
DJ Nick Lee 1:04 AM - 23 May, 2006
every body quit bitching and throw some mixes up or just quit...
punosion 1:09 AM - 23 May, 2006
Gah, this is part of the whole point...beatmatching and mixing is friggin' CAKE--I don't need to prove I can beatmatch on a turntable to make the point I'm trying to make here, and it's not going to help prove the point that what I do on a turntable can be done with equal (and perhaps more) effectiveness on a CDDJ.
dj shadow from detroit 1:10 AM - 23 May, 2006
use vinyl!!!!!!!!!!
earwolf 1:30 AM - 23 May, 2006
i!!! thought!!!! you!!!! were!!!!! done!!!!! you!!!!!! utter!!!!! cretin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dj shadow from detroit 3:10 AM - 23 May, 2006
cdj's are not fake!
serato is not fake!
vinyl is real!
turntabilism is real!
earwolf is fake!
DJ Hondai 5:46 AM - 23 May, 2006
You really know what I truly believe a real DJ?

It doesn't matter whatever gear you're using and what skills you have:

A "REAL" DJ doesn't just beatmatch or scratch,
(that are just skills, you can learn them on any gear, like a carpenter learns his job - sure there are good and bad ones)

A "REAL" DJ remixes live and catches the audience with his unique sound :-D

Hope no one is pissed now ;-)
hologram 7:22 AM - 23 May, 2006
Quote:
You really know what I truly believe a real DJ?

It doesn't matter whatever gear you're using and what skills you have:

A "REAL" DJ doesn't just beatmatch or scratch,
(that are just skills, you can learn them on any gear, like a carpenter learns his job - sure there are good and bad ones)

A "REAL" DJ remixes live and catches the audience with his unique sound :-D

Hope no one is pissed now ;-)

And I thought I was the only one who used carpentry as an example. Well put.
It's OK. These young cats are saying the same thing about Cds that people once said about vinyl. DJing didn't start on vinyl.
Turntabilism did. And there I believe is the communication gap.
Digital Gate Way 8:55 AM - 23 May, 2006
You know i just played my first major show Sat. may 20. Some of the other DJ's Friends saw that i was using SSL and gave me a hard time! Look im 19 so i expect getting a little shit from people but when it comes to my SSL ill fight to the death! I ROCKED it that night! After my set that same guy that said SSL is "gay" and "Real DJ's use REAL records not MP3's" said that he takes it all back. (O and he had his hands full or record cases, I had my hands on the girl i was going home with that night) ( You tell me what is better WINK WINK) Thats right guys SSL not only keeps things light and easy to pack it also keeps your hands free to hold on to that lucky gurl for the night!

To me thats all the proof you need.

O and the fact that i can get a track that was released online that day and a week before it hits the records shops, then bump the shit out of it before anyone else in the state has it then thats a major purk too!
djrocket 1:55 PM - 23 May, 2006
Quote:
1-----turntable's
2-----mixing
3-----scratching
4-----beat juggiling
5-----showmanship

I believe Shy, does all the above with cdj's
hologram 2:29 AM - 24 May, 2006
^^ YEp YEp check it. and there are others out there who do all this like the guy who does all R&B up here at texas station.
esp 3:16 AM - 24 May, 2006
"if you ain't cheating you ain't tryin"
damm this is a tired subject
jizzer 3:29 AM - 24 May, 2006
Most regular people wouldn't believe in a million years that DJ's do what they do already (with vinyl). So it doesn't really matter.
dj shadow from detroit 3:38 AM - 24 May, 2006
the posibility of making error's is what make's vinyl that much harder to be better on!!!! put a cd on and walk away that is what messed the game up!!!! that is why dj's dont get paid what they should get paid.if your a good dj sure it does not matter what your playing on.but a dj who is good on vinyl is more respected then a dj (who is equally talented) on cd's!!!!
if you dont beleive this your crazy!!!!!! it take's more talent to play turntable's then a machine you load cd's in!

im done with this because there more cd dj's then vinyl dj's!!!

serato is not cheating!
it make's you a better dj if your good already!!
matt212 4:30 AM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
I even consider Serato as cheating. If you dont think it is, you are in straight up denial. Not just from the carrying vinyl aspect, but cue points, wave forms, looping etc....

I agree with you its cheating about carrying vinyl or cd's...but how do you use all that other stuff you talking about? The only thing I know how to use is control, left arrow and control right arrow. Other than that, I could care less about waveforms, cue points and looping. My laptop is even off to the side where I can't even see all that stuff when I'm mixing and scratching. So I'm just cheating a little bit, how much are you cheating?
dj shadow from detroit 4:57 AM - 24 May, 2006
serato is not cheating it make's a good dj better and a bad dj the same!!!!!!!
matt212 5:07 AM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
serato is not cheating it make's a good dj better and a bad dj the same!!!!!!!

True, I'm wit cha.
matt212 5:52 AM - 24 May, 2006
But, if I show up at the club or party with control vinyl's I'm good, but if I show up with control cd's I'm not good. What am I missing. Same songs, same setup except the players. I don't know about dual decks and regular cd players, but I use the Denon's 3500 and 5000 and can use the Pioneer CDJ 800/1000 and CDX and do the same thing I do with Vinyl turntables. So I don't get the whole cd is not the same thing as vinyl argument. I can jump on either side of this discussion.
dj shadow from detroit 6:03 AM - 24 May, 2006
it is not the same!!!!!!
there different
you take the top dj on cd's and the top dj on turntable's
who is more talented?????????
a turntabilist, anyone can play cd's why do you think all these young kid's use cdj's because it's easier and there afraid to use turntable's!!!!
it take's more technique,finess,and cordination to be a turntabilist!
that is why there is a difference!!!!
a person using turntable's is respected more in this world and alway's will be!!!!!
matt212 6:16 AM - 24 May, 2006
Talented on thier own equipment or on each other's equipment? i don't think you get what I'm trying to say. I'm a scracthing and mixing fool. But I can scratch and mix on both. I understand deeply what you are saying, that's why I can't even look at a CD player that is not able to rotate and spin like a turntable, Hence the Denon, Pioneer, Numark remark. I impress people beacause one week I can use the Vinyl turntables and the next week I can use the CD turntables. And if you didn't look at the equipment, you wouldn't know what I scratching and blending with.
dj shadow from detroit 6:28 AM - 24 May, 2006
yes you do!!
if you use both it is common since!!!
you most not be a good scratcher (baby scrath hear baby scratch there) right?
there is a difference
there is a slight difference in scratching with serato control record's compared to real vinyl!!!! trust me it is close as it can get but not the same!!!!
i can mix and scratch on cdj's toooo if you cant you suck!!!
but scratching is terrible compared to vinyl or serato control record!!!!
if you can scratch you can manipulate scratching on anything it is a cordination feel (like riding a bike)
but in no way is scratching a cd the same im sorry!!!!!!!!!!
that is disrespectful that you even think that way!!!!!!!!!!
matt212 6:44 AM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
if you can scratch you can manipulate scratching on anything it is a cordination feel (like riding a bike)

LOL! You are too funny! That above statment is exactly what I'm trying to get you to realize. But, now you are talking about the sound quality. I agree with you it totally sounds different. Let me say it one more time, I'M WIT CHA MAANNNNN! LOL!
dj shadow from detroit 6:55 AM - 24 May, 2006
lol hear toooo!!!
turntable's keep trying to get made in a digital way and it will never work the same
DJ Nick Lee 7:03 AM - 24 May, 2006
Check this out. I'm on a cruise 2 weeks ago and on the first night at sea I can't wait to get into the club. I wander in there and after hearing two mixes I'm like, this is the BEST dj I have heard in a loooooooong time. Where is this guy at? After a few minutes of searching I spot him in the smallest dj booth in the world, mixing, scratching, and doubling down................all on a freakin' Nmark CDN95 Rackmount system!!! If there is a will there is a way, this guy was majorly disadvantaged and he was killing it on a night when the captain was trying to make up lost time over rough seas! If you ask me he's the most talented Dj.
dj shadow from detroit 7:16 AM - 24 May, 2006
hahahahhhahahah he was probably playing a mix cd!!!!!
dj shadow from detroit 7:16 AM - 24 May, 2006
that is fake!!!! hahahahhaa
DJ Nick Lee 7:27 AM - 24 May, 2006
nah dude was really gettin' it. i'm all about the elements of hip-hop but you gotta give it up when someone is killin' it.
dj shadow from detroit 7:30 AM - 24 May, 2006
cool!!!hahhaha
matt212 7:49 AM - 24 May, 2006
See, I don't know anything about rackmount players, but how can you scratch on that?
dj shadow from detroit 7:52 AM - 24 May, 2006
fake effect's like every cd player has
matt212 7:55 AM - 24 May, 2006
Okay, Shadow I got one for ya. What would you think if somebody showed up with that Numark X2 hybrid turntable while you were at the club? Would you leave when he plays a CD and come back in when he goes to Vinyl? LOL! Man you would be two stepping in and out all night. LOL!
dj shadow from detroit 7:57 AM - 24 May, 2006
i would stay and not hate (just listen to music because that is all he could do is play like a jukebox)
does that answer you question?
matt212 8:00 AM - 24 May, 2006
Hahahaha!
DJ Hondai 11:28 AM - 24 May, 2006
all who believe DJing = Turntablism are fake DJs ;-)

I remember the time, when the "original" DJs were just played on song after another on radio...

whatever mixing-style or gear you're on:

- when you're able to catch the audience, than you're o.k.

- when people are willing to pay for you djing, you're good

- when people book you, 'cause your reputation, your Name, means good business for'em -> then you've made it - then you are allowed to spray record-cleaning-fluid on all non-believers and crack some vinyls on their cocky heads.
punosion 1:10 PM - 24 May, 2006
After all the types of mixing and styles of music that a DJ has commanded, I could have never believed that the definition of "DJ" could be so limited...
dj shadow from detroit 4:53 PM - 24 May, 2006
go looking for vinyl for 16 year's and then make that statement!!!!
dj shadow from detroit 4:54 PM - 24 May, 2006
if you dont incorporate turntabilism you are a jukebox!!!!
everyone can be a jukebox!!!!
punosion 4:57 PM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
if you dont incorporate turntabilism you are a jukebox!!!!
everyone can be a jukebox!!!!

...so all those DJ's (who BTW practically invented hip-hop and a number of other forms of dance music along the way) before the scratch and before turntablism were just jukeboxes? The very founding fathers of DJ'ing to whom we ALL owe a debt to? Puh-leeze.
dj shadow from detroit 6:16 PM - 24 May, 2006
no turntabilism is not showing off but puting on a show!!!!
if you cant play the right song's,mix,scratch,beat juggle,and keep the dance floor packed your a jukebox!!!!!!

there is something special about vinyl!!!!
just like there something special about control record's!!!
all these big name dj's that cant scratch arent shit to me(((there way bigger then i am i know that but what is a dj if he cant scratch??????)))
dj shadow from detroit 7:59 PM - 24 May, 2006
it's true all these big name dj's travel all around the world and all they do is mix every 4-5 minutes!!!!
come on i can mix 3 song's in 4 minute's and scratch when im doing it!!!!
what would you rather see a dj playing the same beat for 30 minute's or some one mixing fast and scratching on top of all that stuff? that is a true dj, not a dj who just play's song's!!!!
a true dj remixe's stuff on the fly accapella over different instrumental's or they compliment a beat there playing with another beat that add's funk to it!!!!!!
not just the same beat banging (that is a jukebox)
Menace 8:11 PM - 24 May, 2006
It always depends what crowd you have when you are spinning. There`s no need to cratch all the time when you play Techno, Trance, Electro, House ... (=Electronic Dance Music). A backspin is more common with that kind of music. And 3 songs in 4 minutes is just anoying in that kind of club scene.

Much scratching with Hip Hop music and adding acapellas to other songs beats is definately okay and probably* exciting (* Hip Hop is just not my favourite taste :-) ).
Dj KaGeN 8:30 PM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
all these big name dj's that cant scratch arent shit to me(((there way bigger then i am i know that but what is a dj if he cant scratch??????)))

I don't wear glasses, but I think I need them to read that statement. Are you fuggin kiddin me. It's now a neccesity to have a scratch in your skill set? I need 39cents right about now- I need to supersize my skill set. Thinkin baby scratch isn't gonna cut it anymore.
dj shadow from detroit 9:04 PM - 24 May, 2006
i agree kagen!!!!!
menace if you cant scratch to house,electro,trance or any kind of music you are a juke box bro------sorry!!!!!!!
i never said i mix that fast all the time just during mix show's-----not at a club!!!!!!
but i cant play a song more then 2-3 verses!!!!!!
dj shadow from detroit 9:08 PM - 24 May, 2006
under stand the concept of what d raf??????
what concept of playing the same beat for a long time?
or to play a mix cd and walk away?
or to play funkymix track's that have scratching in them already because you cant do it!!!!!!
Dj KaGeN 9:23 PM - 24 May, 2006
I forogt to put the sarcasm tags on my blurb. So officially now, as of today I'm a jutebox.

post a mix McShadow - I need to set my sites on my new goal.
punosion 9:24 PM - 24 May, 2006
Such a shallow-minded perspective...it's really quite sad...
djransom 9:31 PM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:

Very.
anewsome 9:39 PM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Very.

My first post in this too-long thread,.. and I'm gonna have to agree thirdly with that.

Shadow, I couldn't disagree more with your narrow minded view of what a real DJ is. I don't scratch at the club when I play out and that makes me a jukebox. That son, is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Anyone on the forum been down to check out shadow at the club?
Thundercat 9:55 PM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
That's fine for a battle-style competition where the DJ is the primary focus, but there are times when a DJ should be transparent.

YES! The times that I do get dragged to a club, that is exactly what I want to hear. Nothing gets in the way of good music more than a DJ trying to do too much. Showing his ass, for lack of a better term. I want to feel like I am on a musical cruise to exotic ports of call. These are the types of DJ's I would return to see again. I could groove to Little Louie Vega, Glenn Friscia, Darryl James etc. all night.
Dj KaGeN 10:02 PM - 24 May, 2006
I cannot stand the DJ's that have 'the scratch' and have no other skill in making a mix but to scratch in and out of every mix... THAT's WACK. Or the spin the record backwards deal - these 2 in excess are the sign of weakness in my book. Like 3 of both per hour is fine.

I'm getting the feeling McShadow is boasting to be a powermixer like a Bad Boy Bill knockin off 80 tunes in 60 minutes based on this statement. In this example I think any way you can shuffle out a song in less a minutes for over an hour, a few scratchout s and tricks are more than warranted.

"come on i can mix 3 song's in 4 minute's and scratch when im doing it!!!!
what would you rather see a dj playing the same beat for 30 minute's or some one mixing fast and scratching on top of all that stuff? that is a true dj, not a dj who just play's song's!!!!
a true dj remixe's stuff on the fly accapella over different instrumental's or they compliment a beat there playing with another beat that add's funk to it!!!!!!"
Menace 10:23 PM - 24 May, 2006
Quote:
if you cant scratch to house,electro,trance or any kind of music you are a juke box bro------sorry!!!!!!!

Shadow, maybe you should read better. I didn`t wirte I can`t scratch. I meant: there`s no really need for scratching with Electronic Dance Music. If you`re not into that kind of music you can`t know that. BTW, if I would play just 2 minutes of one track I would kill the track. For you it is always the same beat. Others just feel what big potential is behind Electronic Dance Music.

BTW, I respected you although I never heard you spinning. But there`s no need for disrespect for other DJ`s just because they don`t LIKE to spin like you. It always depends on the music.
dj shadow from detroit 12:42 AM - 25 May, 2006
look a real performer can scratch and half the people in the club does not even know!!!
in know way am i perfect (i learn all the time)
as far as scratching to house and electronic music i rather do it to that type of music then any other music!!!
im not saying when i dj i scratch all time but normally when i do it compliment's the song like it should!!!! not all over the place (what is wrong with you? scratching is a art form that should be part of the music!!!!!!!!!
Thundercat 12:55 AM - 25 May, 2006
Aaaah! I get it, Shadow. Way to string everyone along like this you trouble maker. He's only pulling our chain. There's no possible way he could be serious. Nobody is that idiotic. Nice one Shadow. <thumbs up> :)
punosion 1:13 AM - 25 May, 2006
Elements of, say...abstract art...do NOT belong in a realist painting, but the painter doing a realist painting is still an artist despite what prerequisites you may put on the term. In the example, if you feel that an expression of abstract art needs to be included in every painting you see before you call the creator an artist, including the work of a realist painter, then you obviously don't have a firm understanding of the style.
dj shadow from detroit 1:18 AM - 25 May, 2006
a normal dj play's music and mixe's (coooooooooooooool)
a good dj add's thing's to it remixing live and scratching
a great dj can do all of the above with turntable's and cd's!!!!
and rock the mic!!!!
to me a great dj is z trip,jazzy jeff,dj wax tax n dre from detroit!!!! and anyone who can do all of this!!!!!
IF ALL you can do is mixx cool that is a start maybe 3-4 year's down the road you will learn to scratch and beat juggle and maybe do all of the above!!!!!and if you cant do all of this that does not mean your bad that mean's your not a turntabilist!!!YOUR A JUKEBOX!!!!!!
punosion 3:33 AM - 25 May, 2006
HAH!! In all the many house/trance/techno/progressive/downtempo/d&b/any-other-type-of-music-
DJ's-spin-that-isn't-hip-hopsets I've heard DJ's spin, not one of them has rocked the mic. That's what I'm saying--they're still DJ's, they just don't match your too-rigid definition of a DJ.
dj shadow from detroit 3:50 AM - 25 May, 2006
i dont rock the mic (really that is my weakest part of being a dj) that is not a most i said the great one's can do it!!!!!
dj z trip----------dj am--- they play everything there all over the place they will play to the crowd!!!!!!!!!!!
not all these one genre type dj's they suck music has feeling i rather play a whole lot of feeling's then one or two!!!!!!!
punosion 4:02 AM - 25 May, 2006
So, you'd consider all of those styles of music I listed to be one style? Or are you saying "mix-only" DJ's have to (or can only) play one style?

Well, no worry...I guess I can baby scratch, more or less just scrubbing-over a bass beat, but I can do it along with the beat. Am I a real DJ now that I can consider myself to be able to scratch?
rfnunchuks 6:44 AM - 25 May, 2006
you play hot shit, get the bitches screaming and shaking, get people laid, and make the bar some loot. then you're a REAL dj. end of discussion.
DJ Hondai 7:19 AM - 25 May, 2006
Quote:
you play hot shit, get the bitches screaming and shaking, get people laid, and make the bar some loot. then you're a REAL dj. end of discussion.

!!!WORD!!! @rfnunchuks

you know what a fake DJ is - someone who's showing off scratching and the scratch originalliy is already included inthe remix-record he is playing

anyways, this thread is really getting stupid...

what a competition:
Djing = don't just play record -> be the record
-ROTFL-

Anyone who can make a living on DJing earns my respect, doesn't matter whatever gear he's using and if it's just tapedecks ;-)
punosion 1:14 PM - 25 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
and if you cant do all of this that does not mean your bad that mean's your not a turntabilist!!!YOUR A JUKEBOX!!!!!!

You guys are wasting your time with this discussion. Read that again and let it sink in.

Yeah I know. I'm still just baffled though, but I'll let it go and try to let it sink in on its own... ;)

Quote:
Anyone who can make a living on DJing earns my respect, doesn't matter whatever gear he's using and if it's just tapedecks ;-)

I'm gonna' hafta' agree with this...
nik39 9:11 PM - 25 May, 2006
*unsubscribing*
Dj KaGeN 9:17 PM - 25 May, 2006
*unsubscribing also*
djransom 9:18 PM - 25 May, 2006
Quote:
*unsubscribing*

I'm surprised that you subscribed to it Nik.
hologram 11:18 PM - 25 May, 2006
a true dj remixe's stuff on the fly accapella over different instrumental's or they compliment a beat there playing with another beat that add's funk to it!!!!!!

You said this and its true. No were do you mention scrathing in this line. And all this can be done with CDs or Carrot for that mattter.
hologram 11:20 PM - 25 May, 2006
But people who don't do this are DJ's too.
If you can read the crowd and work the Mood of the crowd you are a DJ. How you do that is up to you. A jukebox plays request in the order they were requested by who ever paid for the request.
The songs are played regardless of flow or crowd reading.
dj shadow from detroit 11:36 PM - 25 May, 2006
hologram yes that is one part not all (that is the sh^t if you can do that) that is one part of being good other part's include song selection,reading a crowd,scratching,beat juggiling,and rocking the mic all in one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dj z trip is a perfect example of a great dj not dj qbert!
a regular can mix and read a crowd! (that is normal) if you can mix you should be able to remix on the fly
monkeybiz 11:41 PM - 25 May, 2006
Wank wank wank.
dj shadow from detroit 12:00 AM - 26 May, 2006
monkey cant do it
that is why you wank wank wank!!!!
how could you not agree?
swoop your eagle back down to realality
and realize it is true
every dj can mix (that is a start)
did you start already?
Thundercat 12:02 AM - 26 May, 2006
LOL! U so funny.
hologram 3:29 AM - 26 May, 2006
whoa what do you mean not qbert. He was rocking the Hip-Hop scene in LA at variety arts, Glam Slam and many other clubs. He can read crowds and work a room just as well as the top DJs of this day. And from how long you say you've been DJing he was doing it when you first started DJing. Get your facts straight.
sixxx 3:36 AM - 26 May, 2006
Best argument to prove I'm not a fake DJ using Serato:

I'm Sixxx.
hologram 3:39 AM - 26 May, 2006
^^ well put!
dj shadow from detroit 3:41 AM - 26 May, 2006
dj qbert is not even close to dj ztrip when it comes to a all around dj what is wrong with you???
dj qbert is the best battle dj,turntabilist,scratch dj in the world no one is even close to his skill's but when it come's to a dj who can do it all he is not. i rather see him perform more then any other dj in the world (because i am a turntablist) but when it come's to rockin a party with every aspect of a true dj dj z trip is probably the best all around dj in the world!
you need to do your home work!
hologram 3:44 AM - 26 May, 2006
I didn't say DJ Ztrip wasn't the best but Qbert is an all around DJ. He has always been asked back to clubs he has played at all the way back to the early 90s. Many of the poeple who are considered Good all around DJ on the LA scene learned from how he use to rock the crowd. My homework was being there as it went down.
dj shadow from detroit 3:48 AM - 26 May, 2006
i understand that but he does not do club's often like that!
i cant argue i like qbert style and what he has done for the art form on turntable's!
hologram 4:04 AM - 26 May, 2006
Ok I give you that he doesn't do clubs like that often anymore. But in the early 90s I couldn't help but trip over him every week at some joint I was doing Sound/ lighting or resident DJ.
To tell you the truth it got annoying for a second hehe
Menace 5:04 AM - 27 May, 2006
Quote:
a normal dj play's music and mixe's (coooooooooooooool)
a good dj add's thing's to it remixing live and scratching
a great dj can do all of the above with turntable's and cd's!!!!
and rock the mic!!!!

a) none of that counts if you play shit songs
b) too much scratching is annoying
c) all of it had nothing to do with this thread
djHSL 6:20 AM - 27 May, 2006
Been DJing, and getting paid for it, for over fifteen years. Last two years mobile, before that in clubs across Australia and Asia.

Never scratched once.

Don't like hearing my own voice over the music.

Guess I'm not a DJ. Better quit now.
earwolf 9:44 AM - 27 May, 2006
shadow i know you said about 500 posts ago that you were done, but do you think you could possibly make a comeback and bless us with some more of your divine wisdom? i think we're really making some headway now and i just feel that a meth-addicted ADD shortbus troll with a glued-down shift+1 will finally bury this ridiculous waste of time six feet under
hologram 11:50 AM - 28 May, 2006
^^ haha
donstone 6:08 PM - 26 September, 2006
my 2 cents...

a turntablist really isn't a DJ.. It's more of a show. It's more of a performance art that came out of DJing. Sure it might be cool to watch a truntablist for a few mins but for a whole night? lol

When I go to a club, I am easily be there for 4-12 hours. Imagine hearing a god damn DJ cut up records for 12 friggin hours? What a nightmare.

Did you ever think to just let the damn song play? And if you're gonna scratch over house, please do it sparingly.

Turntablist = OOOH Look at me I can scratch.

A DJs only job is to play music and get people to dance. So in this sense a turntablist is NOT a DJ.

As for the creativty side... I would say the CD DJ has the ability to be far more creative than a turntablist can be.
Don't believe me...You can take 1 beat from a CDJ and make a song from it. don't believe me, go to youtube and look up James Zabiela.

And please stay off the mic unless the club is on fire.
punosion 6:21 PM - 26 September, 2006
Quote:
my 2 cents...

Shh...I agree with you, but you gotta' keep it down or you'll get these guys upset. ;) Just watch...
Dj KaGeN 7:28 PM - 26 September, 2006
oh boy.... *puts on concession outfit from the ball park*

POPCORN!! - PEANUTS!! - getyer hot popcorn n peanuts!!
s42000 8:55 PM - 26 September, 2006
Since they are not here yet, and I have a few minutes to burn, I will indulge myself ...

Quote:
my 2 cents...
a turntablist really isn't a DJ.. It's more of a show. It's more of a performance art that came out of DJing. Sure it might be cool to watch a truntablist for a few mins but for a whole night? lol

HE is a DJ, one who has mastered the turntable and can use it as an instrument to be creative and express him/her self - DJ Jazzy Jeff, Kid Capri, DJ AM, Faust and Shortee ... all incoporate some 'turntablism into their shows

This is almost like saying drifters en.wikipedia.org are not drivers. I can assure you they are, they have just expanded what was thought possible with a car and a new artform was born.

Quote:
When I go to a club, I am easily be there for 4-12 hours. Imagine hearing a god damn DJ cut up records for 12 friggin hours? What a nightmare.

Did you ever think to just let the damn song play? And if you're gonna scratch over house, please do it sparingly.

Dont know what clubs you go to, but never heard of anyone crazy enough to attempt cutting for 12 hrs .... at a damn club. Dang even the competitions are only 6 minutes long.

Quote:
Turntablist = OOOH Look at me I can scratch.

Mostly, statements like this usually come from the scratching or turntable impaired :-) LOL

Quote:
A DJs only job is to play music and get people to dance. So in this sense a turntablist is NOT a DJ.

Jukeboxes and ipods can play music too .. are they DJ's?
A DJ is an entertainer. If the audience is entertained by what you are doing, then DO it.

Quote:
As for the creativty side... I would say the CD DJ has the ability to be far more creative than a turntablist can be.
Don't believe me...You can take 1 beat from a CDJ and make a song from it. don't believe me, go to youtube and look up James Zabiela.

Zab how many ....?? You cant be serious. See Kid Koala, Roli Rho, Rob Swift manipulating beats (no button pressing)
[Take a moment and check out the sick jugglers out there]

Quote:
And please stay off the mic unless the club is on fire.

I Agree 100% with that one.
punosion 9:13 PM - 26 September, 2006
Quote:
Since they are not here yet, and I have a few minutes to burn, I will indulge myself ...

Heh, don't kid yourself...you're one of 'em. ;)

To qualify the points he made (he's a late-comer anyway), someone who can ONLY utilize the avant-garde skill of turntablism is not a DJ...but a DJ who can also scratch is something else, like those DJ's you mentioned. Of course you're not going to see a multi-hour turntablism presentation at a club, and you're not going to hear a standard-issue club set at a Q-Bert show.
s42000 9:18 PM - 26 September, 2006
^^ I am so far off fo real !!
grrillatactics 9:54 PM - 26 September, 2006
I like cheese.
donstone 1:55 PM - 27 September, 2006
Quote:

Dont know what clubs you go to, but never heard of anyone crazy enough to attempt cutting for 12 hrs .... at a damn club. Dang even the competitions are only 6 minutes long.

This is really my point... turntablism is just a small skillset of DJing. There is so much more to DJing than turntablism.

It's great if you can add it into your sets, but is in no way needed at all to rock a club. A few tricks here and there are fine but to do it every mix is just annoying. Hell I'll throw in some scracthing here and there but to constantly do it every mix... no way.

Kinda the same as the DJ who uses effects on every mix.

As for Zabiela... just pointing out that someone can take a CDJ an efx and Ableton and create a whole new way of DJing. If you don't know who he is, #13 on DJMags top100.
DJ Uncle Needle Drop 2:27 PM - 27 September, 2006
@ donstone - But you said earlier that a cd dj could take 1 beat and make a whole new song, but now you are qualifying that and saying that he needs another technology to help him do that - a computer and Ableton software. So what's that? A real tablist like Qbert doesn't nee Abletone or a computer to help him make a new song out of 1 beat. Don't believe me? Check out Qberts scratch drumming on YouTube.

You obviously haven't seen a party rocking turntablist dj such as DJ Z-Trip. He wouldn't rock an entire 6 hr set in a club because what he does takes way too much talent, but he could do it for several hours, while keeping the floor packed and screaming for more.

Sounds like you've seen too many dj's on the mic who have no idea of how to rock a mic whether the club is slammin or not. That doesn't mean that there aren't times to rock the mic and GET the crowd going.

For me there is nothing worse than going into a club where the "dj" just stands there and bobs his head and lets the songs play while beatmatching. No cutting, no scratching, no mic skills, no show! That's not a dj, that's a human jukebox that can beatmatch. You could teach a monkey to beatmatch.

I used to have your same mindset back in the early 90's when it came to "scratch" dj's - It seemed like it was just a "Hey! look at me scratch" kind of thing. Turntablism has come so far since then. My advice to you would be to open your mind to turntablism and what is can bring to your game. If you have the skills or learn the skills, it can only help take you to the next level.
DJ FLATLINE 10:25 PM - 28 September, 2006
So what is being said is that a dj who uses vinyl is superior to a DJ who uses CDJs???

Look at it this way.....
you're a dj instructor teaching "becoming a dj 101"

some kids show up with TT's and some show up with CDJ's

are you gonna tell me that the kids who showed with TT's are automatically better than the ones who brought CDJ's???

EXACTLY.....

everybody plays with what they are comfortable with but that doesn't give anybody the right to discredit anyone for their preferences.

IMO, once you cam manipulate you deck whether it be digital or analog, that makes you a good dj..
DJ Uncle Needle Drop 10:53 PM - 28 September, 2006
Quote:
So what is being said is that a dj who uses vinyl is superior to a DJ who uses CDJs???

I don't know where you got that idea. I was simply just trying to communicate that a dj who can maniputlate vinyl or cdj's in a turntablist manor, is better in my opinion than a dj who simply selcects heaters and beat matches well. I think that a little cutting and scratching as long as it's rhythmic, can really add to the show and make a more well rounded dj as opposed to one that simply plays the music while making nice beatmatched segways.
society 12:33 AM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know where you got that idea. I was simply just trying to communicate that a dj who can maniputlate vinyl or cdj's in a turntablist manor, is better in my opinion than a dj who simply selcects heaters and beat matches well. I think that a little cutting and scratching as long as it's rhythmic, can really add to the show and make a more well rounded dj as opposed to one that simply plays the music while making nice beatmatched segways.

I agree--if you can drop some scratches or whatever you're a better DJ in my books. Unfortunately most people in a given audience couldn't give two shits though. In fact with some audiences I get the vibe that they want less of that fancy shit even if it's done cleanly and on point. (And I've read messages from other DJs on this forum who've noticed similar things.)
DJ FLATLINE 3:57 AM - 29 September, 2006
but you can cut and scratch on cdjs too. I'm not understanding. Let's assume that you use relative mode on TT's and I use relative mode on CDJ's.....what's the diff??? The same way you can cut and scratch on TT's is the same way I can cut and scratch on CDJ's. The only thing I can say that would be different would be our technique and execution. I'm not being bias at all because I have both of them but anything you can do on TT you can do on CDJ with a little practice. It takes getting use to like anything else you would try but maybe this video might change your mind...

Watchyoutube.com
Fabrikator 4:35 AM - 29 September, 2006
Turntablists are artists, Skratch music is an art.

I am not saying traditional DJ's are not artists as well.. (esp in the case of alot of Trance or house DJs) It is just a diffrent form of art, and expression.

Give a man some baking soda, and he may bake you a cake.. give another man some baking soda and he may cut some coke and slang that shit.

=)
matt212 4:44 AM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
Give a man some baking soda, and he may bake you a cake.. give another man some baking soda and he may cut some coke and slang that shit.

Quote of the year right there. Fabrikator for president.
DJ GaFFle 8:14 AM - 29 September, 2006
I saw a DJ using a TTM57, one of those scratch-effects records and a foot pedal (to loop/sample on the fly). That guy was hella creative. I'd definitely call him a turntablist/DJ/musician. If you know what I talking about, you'd know a skilled guy on the wheels with that setup could hold his own pretty much with any scrutizing crowd.
society 1:23 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
but you can cut and scratch on cdjs too. I'm not understanding. Let's assume that you use relative mode on TT's and I use relative mode on CDJ's.....what's the diff??? The same way you can cut and scratch on TT's is the same way I can cut and scratch on CDJ's. The only thing I can say that would be different would be our technique and execution. I'm not being bias at all because I have both of them but anything you can do on TT you can do on CDJ with a little practice. It takes getting use to like anything else you would try but maybe this video might change your mind...

Watchyoutube.com

I admit that I haven't read every message in this thread, but who said that turntable scratching is inherently better than CDJ scratching?

For me, however you get the job done is however you get the job done--as long as it sounds dope in the end.
birdbrain 1:25 PM - 29 September, 2006
that 2nd nature vid flatline posted isnt really impressing me compared to normal dmc set. tapping cue points to drum out a beat? wack.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 1:49 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:

give some kidz some baking soda (and vinegar) and they'll do this --> Watchyoutube.com
punosion 2:12 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

give some kidz some baking soda (and vinegar) and they'll do this --> Watchyoutube.com

F'ing amateurs. Get yourself some plastic bottles, some aluminum foil and The Works drain cleaner...FTW. Hint: squeeze the bottle before closing so it acts as a fuse...be sure to get it away from you when it starts to rapidly expand, or there'll be trouble. ;)
s42000 3:05 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
that 2nd nature vid flatline posted isnt really impressing me compared to normal dmc set. tapping cue points to drum out a beat? wack.

Agreed ... 2ndNature is a certified turntable head and his skills are not in doubt. But he did not do himself any favors with that wack button pressing CDJ sh!t (Sorry Nature :). I am sure he cringes everytime he see's that.
ps: Pioneer do PAY him for that.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 3:45 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

F'ing amateurs. Get yourself some plastic bottles, some aluminum foil and The Works drain cleaner...FTW. Hint: squeeze the bottle before closing so it acts as a fuse...be sure to get it away from you when it starts to rapidly expand, or there'll be trouble. ;)
well, i couldn't find a vid on the foil and drain cleaner, but i did learn how plastic bottles are made Watchyoutube.com and how toothpicks are made Watchyoutube.com and tennis balls Watchyoutube.com and and ....
DJ Uncle Needle Drop 6:40 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:

Watchyoutube.com

Nobody has said that you can't cut and scratch with cdj's dude. You're either not reading what is being typed, or you're just missing the point. My point is that whether you're a tablist or a cd j-ist, you are are bringing more to the show as compared to a dj who simply beatmatches. Someone typed up above that he thought that turntablists were all about "hey look at me scratch" - I was simply arguing that if you bring a tablist's skills to the game, (as long as it's rhythmic and on point) then you are a better dj than one who simply beatmatches and segues flawlessly. Or at the very least, your performance would be much more entertaining to watch.
DJ FLATLINE 11:33 PM - 29 September, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Watchyoutube.com

Nobody has said that you can't cut and scratch with cdj's dude. You're either not reading what is being typed, or you're just missing the point. My point is that whether you're a tablist or a cd j-ist, you are are bringing more to the show as compared to a dj who simply beatmatches. Someone typed up above that he thought that turntablists were all about "hey look at me scratch" - I was simply arguing that if you bring a tablist's skills to the game, (as long as it's rhythmic and on point) then you are a better dj than one who simply beatmatches and segues flawlessly. Or at the very least, your performance would be much more entertaining to watch.

ok I understand you now...
Fáda 12:04 AM - 30 September, 2006
Some DJ's are faking the funk just a lil bit, i gotta say.. some are using premixed tracks then mixing another one live, may not be completely faking but its not really LIVE.

Anyway, i just tell the heads the lap top is basically my five crates.. because thats wat it really is to me, i dont use serato much for anything else. I mean everything else is like before, I still mix the beats with earphones like i used to, and i still cut the beats up and scratch like i used to.. so there aint much diffence for me personally. But i do notice other Dj's using mixing programs and such...
TheMightyThor 11:21 PM - 30 September, 2006
i think people should have to have paid dues to own ssl. you should have had the experience of hauling crates, spending hours learning how to match beats, and been playing out for at least a few years. if you just get into djing, get some tables and serato right away, i dont think that is right. buy records, its more fun. then after you learn on vinyl, you can graduate to serato. just my opinion...
society 12:06 AM - 1 October, 2006
Quote:
i think people should have to have paid dues to own ssl. you should have had the experience of hauling crates, spending hours learning how to match beats, and been playing out for at least a few years. if you just get into djing, get some tables and serato right away, i dont think that is right. buy records, its more fun. then after you learn on vinyl, you can graduate to serato. just my opinion...

That is one of the ultimate can of worms to open 'round these parts...
Pete Moss 6:36 AM - 1 October, 2006
Maybe doctors who embrace new technology are just microwave doctors! (That one works)
society 9:20 PM - 1 October, 2006
Quote:
I think everyone should learn latin before speaking english :-p

Uhhh...what?!
Fabrikator 10:46 PM - 1 October, 2006
my cats breath smells like cat food
society 12:54 AM - 2 October, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think everyone should learn latin before speaking english :-p

Uhhh...what?!

English, french & spanish are all Latin-based languages.

I'm a nerd :)

Actually, although French and Spanish are Latin-based (or romance languages), English is a German-based language. (I too am a nerd ;)

And of course, speaking German is not a requisite for speaking English--one knowledge-set might help out when learning the other, but it's not necessary. And hauling crates around isn't necessary for being a good DJ either...
Saner 1:11 AM - 2 October, 2006
Those who say we're cheating have no idea about DJing, so their opinions don't matter to me.
society 2:13 AM - 2 October, 2006
Quote:
Those who say we're cheating have no idea about DJing, so their opinions don't matter to me.

Amen brother.
DjBlaze 8:13 AM - 2 October, 2006
Serato - needs VIDEO integration..... PRONTO.

REAL DJ'S MIX WITH VINYL, NO MATTER IF IT'S THE ORIGINAL WAX OR CONTROLING A SOFTWARE PROGRAM. There is no substitute for a spinning record and technic 1200. If you can't mix with real vinyl, U can't do much on Serato. Fakers stick out like a sore thumb. "What is a dj if he can't scratch?"
grrillatactics 5:53 PM - 2 October, 2006
Quote:
my cats breath smells like cat food

I've noticed that my dogs' breath smells like dog food...
punosion 12:24 AM - 3 October, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
REAL DJ'S MIX WITH VINYL

Here we go again...

'xaaaaactly... :grin:
Fabrikator 3:01 AM - 3 October, 2006
Real DJs wipe front to back
ak1 10:15 AM - 3 October, 2006
ok heres my 5 cents on the real vrs fake djs discussion

ive heard a lot of haters and then there are the dj groupies who smile and say your the ish but honestly i dont care wot any of them say real or fake, ying or yang cant have one without the other.as a
dj not every track is gonna hit and every one leaves the floor,not every mix is goin to blend as you as you intend and you smile cause every ones a dj and looking at you like they should be mixing,some ones gonna hate a song you played because that was playing on the radio wen they caught their girlfriend cheating on him then there are the ladies who love every thing you do on the 1s and 2s or cds mp3s woteva a real dj...a real dj is me and i dont hate on them,dj gear,vinyls cds mp3s or i got more skills than your skills.hahaha and im not hating especially on the ladies lovin on me 4 my skills lol but to cut this thesaurus in half a real dj can use it ALL live. vinyl cds serato mixers woteva and everything. its all about the basics.

no dj no ladies lol
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:21 PM - 3 October, 2006
[quote

Here we go again...

...Bass, bass, bass, bass (echo fade)...How low can u go?

*name that tune*
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:04 PM - 7 October, 2006
bingo raf :)
DJ Uncle Needle Drop 7:51 PM - 7 October, 2006
my dogs breath smells like my neighbor ladies coochie, and has a hint of peanut butter...
d:raf 3:21 AM - 3 July, 2012
The zombie thread apocalypse?
rez 9:18 AM - 4 July, 2014
Quote:
I hear quiete often that we are Fake-DJ`s using a Laptop and Serato. I use it with the timecode vinyls. What I do sometimes to convince them: I hand over my headphones and let people scratch the record which is not playing loud at that time.

What are doing to prove that using Serato is still like real DJing and no faking?

Sorry to say this to all Dj's but there right.You cant fake vinyl mixing but you can fake with serato. With vinyl its all you the mixer the turntables and what you create which shows your true talent .There's no skip less mode or bpm mixing cheats all setup for you.I am a turntablist and never use rel mode aka cd player turntable fake mode.I always ask djs this same question,if you don't cue with the turntables or use the turntable for what it was made for why use them at all ?Yes i use serato but only provides the music i don't need fancy mixers dicers or laptop tricks to show off!!
rez 9:33 AM - 4 July, 2014
Yes it's coming ,many dj's out there don't have the guts to admit that serato makes them a better dj.I will be posting a video on u tube on just how easy it is now by being a digital dj the cheats that are used by serato .And why all of a sudden 80% of djs are flawless!!The truth shall be told!!
DJ REZURRECTION
phonze 1:23 PM - 4 July, 2014
uh oh
DJMark 10:44 PM - 4 July, 2014
It's always amusing to see ignorant children grasping for relevance.

Get in a time machine, go back 10 years, and start a blog.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:46 PM - 4 July, 2014
Quote:

He already used it to find this thread
DJ Remix Detroit 1:48 AM - 5 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

He already used it to find this thread

lmao
 6 2:03 AM - 5 July, 2014
ha! lol

nm
djlethald 6:00 PM - 18 February, 2017
I just read through this thread and was mostly laughing and shaking my head. Hey, all of you vinyl purists. Does your mixer have an adjustable crossfader curve which you utilize? You're cheating!
DJ Reflex 2:32 AM - 19 February, 2017
Uh, this thread left off almost 3 years ago.
djlethald 2:08 AM - 22 February, 2017
Yeah well I just read it now and you replied. So joke's on you buddy.