DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

new electro voice (ev) speaker namm 2014

Joee 4:25 PM - 15 January, 2014
here's another images of said new speaker that's coming out soon, at first i was thinking it was going to be another cheap speaker…..but now i'm not sure?

www.facebook.com

from the looks if it i think it's a wooden box not plastic & they already came out with two cheaper box's elx & zlx……could this be more of a real pro audio speaker & not one meant for the entry level into pro audio?

hummmmm?
Joee 4:26 PM - 15 January, 2014
or just a zlx in a wood box?
Certified Quality Entertainment 5:58 PM - 15 January, 2014
I don't know.

I have a feeling that EV is really hitting the sweet spot with that $400-$900 speaker range. I am not sure they would touch the higher market as the # of customers in that market aren't that big.

Maybe a replacement of the ELX? Those have been out a little while. Or an ELX MK2.

When is NAMM by the way??
DJ GaFFle 6:07 PM - 15 January, 2014
If That High Voice Coil Driver Is Less Than 2", Boo On It.
Same Goes If It's Made In China.
Joee 6:08 PM - 15 January, 2014
elx mk2 sounds plausible when i think about

think jbl prx500,prx600 & now prx700…..were only two weeks away from finding out

that said a ELX15P MK2 just might be a really nice box after all the first one wasn't that bad
Joee 6:14 PM - 15 January, 2014
Quote:
If That High Voice Coil Driver Is Less Than 2", Boo On It.
Same Goes If It's Made In China.

look at how far the screws are apart from each other in the pic of the horn driver
www.facebook.com

it just might be a 2 inch…..but it's all speculation of course….i just really want to se ev get back to making quality box's and not the entry level stuff

is it to much to ask for a ZXA3 come on ev……who dropped the ball on that one?
DJ GaFFle 3:13 PM - 17 January, 2014
More pics: www.electrovoice.com

Looks like this'll be the new EV ETX line.
DJ GaFFle 3:15 PM - 17 January, 2014
DJ GaFFle 3:16 PM - 17 January, 2014
Joee, you might want to re-box those brand new ZLX's... or at least keep 'em pristine so you can resell them as new. ;-)
Joee 3:20 PM - 17 January, 2014
nice…..i was just about to check the ev Facebook to see if they had new pic……lol

i'm good with the zlx…..as there not meant for me to use & will pay for them self and then some
DJ GaFFle 3:24 PM - 17 January, 2014
Oh ohhh... they have a 3-way unit too. Since some peeps claim the ZLX's are the best speaker since the Meyer UPx series, these ETX's are supposedly a step up from both the ZLX and ELX. Plus, they have the DSP of the ZLX units.

This could get interesting. It seems like EV has the low-end and soon, the mid-grade speaker market on LOCK.
Joee 3:26 PM - 17 January, 2014
i think i also see a 15 sun in the pic…..i like that as my main concern is portability
Joee 3:30 PM - 17 January, 2014
SO GaFFle, what say you now? still thinking cookie cutter?……lol
Joee 3:38 PM - 17 January, 2014
www.electrovoice.com

hummmm…..it looks like these are amid at killing qsc? maybe

i'm already thinking about the 15 sub & 12 tops…….lol

but do i really need it…..lol, they would have to sound AMAZING for me to buy as i'm very happy with the rcf 15 & 12…..but they do look a hole lot better than the rcf's
DJ GaFFle 3:42 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
SO GaFFle, what say you now? still thinking cookie cutter?……lol

Well, yeah. They look very similar to the ZLX series except they're now made of wood but more importantly, if they come with that standard-sized 1.75" HF voice coil, that'll put them in the same heap as all the other GC gear. Now knowing it's EV, the sound will be distinct and probably better than the others just based off of their reputation and history but I was really hoping for a ZXA5 replacement line.

I have a feeling these are gonna sell like hotcakes.

(nm)
DJ GaFFle 3:49 PM - 17 January, 2014
Joee, peep the 10" model too.

(nm)
Joee 3:53 PM - 17 January, 2014
when i think cookie cutter, i think of cheap entry level…..these pics look a step above and then some

i also think they will sell like pancakes at iHop on a sunday morning ,i would have loved a zxa5 killer also……but will they ever? at this point i'd say no….but you never know
Joee 3:55 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
Joee, peep the 10" model too.

(nm)

o i am i'm looking at all of them…..
Joee 3:59 PM - 17 January, 2014
www.electrovoice.com

so we have what looks like a
10"
12"
15"
15"sub
18"sub

& not sure is that a

double 15" or a 3 way?

nice looking line up
Joee 4:01 PM - 17 January, 2014
never mind i finally stop looking at the pictures and read the press release
DJ GaFFle 4:56 PM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
when i think cookie cutter, i think of cheap entry level…..these pics look a step above and then some...

I think of it as the same design being shared and used by a bunch of different manufacturers. No standouts or true innovations involved. (ie: Sony MDR-V700 headphones, super OEM turntables)

(nm)
DjCity 12:52 AM - 18 January, 2014
i'm thinking they are gonna blow QSC apart unless they come with something new.
K series were not all they were cracked up to be.

Din't get me wrong. They ARE good speakers but since they came along (and went stagnant), others have come in and killed them with better sound an lower prices.

I "HAD" K12's but returned them because they broke up too easily in the high frequencies when pushed to party levels.

The ELX and the ZLX sound better at volume than the k series and both are waaaaay less expensive.

I'm not even gonna mention how Yamaha is killing k series.

I'm quite curious about this new line from EV.
DJ NoNseNse 7:28 AM - 18 January, 2014
I heard about this speakers a few months ago. I was told these speakers are suppose to compete the qsc kw series.
Joee 5:36 PM - 18 January, 2014
^ i'm thinking the same
Joee 11:14 PM - 18 January, 2014
i see you GaFFle …..lol

"That high compression driver looks very standard'ish. Is it the standard cookie-cutter 1.75" size like all other GC quality gear? Made in USA?"
DJ GaFFle 12:21 AM - 19 January, 2014
Yeah... when they make titles like "The Best Is Yet To Come"... I'mma need them to back it up.

(nm)
Joee 6:03 PM - 23 January, 2014
specs------> electrovoice.com
Taipanic 7:13 PM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
Oh ohhh... they have a 3-way unit too. Since some peeps claim the ZLX's are the best speaker since the Meyer UPx series, these ETX's are supposedly a step up from both the ZLX and ELX. Plus, they have the DSP of the ZLX units.

This could get interesting. It seems like EV has the low-end and soon, the mid-grade speaker market on LOCK.

Yeah, if you really want sound quality for prerecorded music playback, three way is the way to go. Used to have the Mackie 1530s, sounded much clearer and fuller than comparable 2 way speakers. Might have to look at these too. Also will have to decide if I am up to putting 80lb speakers back on poles again (nm/nh)
Joee 7:31 PM - 23 January, 2014
if you zoom in on the amp you can se it's made in the good ol USA

www.electrovoice.com
Joee 9:45 PM - 23 January, 2014
if anyones having trouble zooming in here you go
imageshack.com
Joee 12:16 PM - 24 January, 2014
DJ GaFFle 2:56 PM - 24 January, 2014
Whoa... that speaker's DSP has some nice features. EV has designed this box pretty nicely. I like how they've time-aligned the drivers and that hidden bass port. I know plenty of pro guys that are pissed that these don't have Powercon connectors. I'm sure plenty wouldn't mind using the ETX as floor monitors but you want Powercon to prevent accidentally unplugging of power though.

(nm)
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:57 PM - 24 January, 2014
Looks like it has locking IEC cables though. Not as secure as powercon, but better than regular IEC.

Def looks like a great speaker though!
Joee 3:42 PM - 24 January, 2014
they do like like a pro quality box, i like what i see
DjCity 4:15 PM - 24 January, 2014
Is there anything besides the new EV speakers, the DJ SZ and the Reloop TM8 that's interesting at NANM this year?

So far these are the only products I've tale heard about.

Just Pioneer gear, Reloop and EV.
Joee 4:17 PM - 24 January, 2014
some one said qsc was showing something new
Joee 4:20 PM - 24 January, 2014
i accidentally posted this in the zxa5 thread….here goes

DJ GaFFle you called it upon further inspection it seems this is a powered Tour X box

TOUR X SPECS…..

Color Black
Input Connections Parallel Neutrik® NL4
Speaker Type Full-range
Frequency Response (-3 dB) 65 - 20000 Hz
Frequency Response (-10 dB) 45 - 20000 Hz
Internal Crossover Yes
Recommended High-Pass Frequency 40 Hz
Sensitivity 1 W/1 m 100 dB
Max. SPL/1m (calc) 133 dB
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) H 60 °
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) V 40 °
Rotatable Horn Yes
System Power Handling (Continuous/Program/Peak) 500//2000 Watts
LF Transducer 15-inch SMX2151
HF Transducer 1.25-inch DH3/2010A
Crossover Frequency 1750 Hz
Nominal Impedance (Passive) 8 Ω
Minimum Impedance 6.2 Ω
Enclosure Material Plywood and MDF with EVCOAT
Flying Yes
Suspension (6) 3/8-inch threaded inserts
Height 475 mm (18.7")
Width 439 mm (17.28")
Depth 655 mm (25.79")
Weight Net 27.6 kg (60.85 lbs)

ETX SPECS….

Frequency Range 40 Hz – 20 kHz
Maximum SPL 135 dB peak dB
Power Consumption 100 – 240 V~, 50 – 60 Hz, 1.6 – 0.8 A
Power Rating 2000 W
Frequency Response 48 Hz – 20 kHz
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) H 90 °
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) V 60 °
LF Transducer SMX2150 380 mm (15 in)
HF Transducer DH3-B 1.25-in titanium compression driver
Crossover Frequency 1500 Hz
Connector Type (2) XLR/TRS combo jack and (1) XLR link output
Enclosure Material 18-mm, 13-ply birch plywood with EVCoat
Grill 16AWG steel with powdercoat
Suspension (8) M10 suspension points
Height 691 mm (27.2")
Width 431 mm (16.97")
Depth 447 mm (17.6")
Weight Net 27.7 kg (61.07 lbs)
Shipping Weight 31.5 kg (69.45 lbs)

same woofer/horn drivers in both boxes, i'm thinking they mated the zxl & tour x tech
DjCity 4:21 PM - 24 January, 2014
They need to!
K and KW series is pretty much done.
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:34 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
They need to!

K and KW series is pretty much done.

agreed...Lot of new stuff that trumps both of them.
Joee 4:35 PM - 24 January, 2014
i my self have never been a fan of qsc……i always felt there were better sounding boxes out there in the price point
DjCity 4:36 PM - 24 January, 2014
Lots of older stuff that trumps them!
Joee 4:36 PM - 24 January, 2014
now there power amps is a different story i used there mx,plx,plx2 for years
DjCity 4:38 PM - 24 January, 2014
I still miss my 4000
Joee 4:40 PM - 24 January, 2014
^ you mean mx3000?

i don't miss any 70lbs amps no sir not me……….lol
DjCity 4:43 PM - 24 January, 2014
Nope

Ex 4000
DjCity 4:44 PM - 24 January, 2014
I miss the power but not the weight!
DJ GaFFle 5:27 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
now there power amps is a different story i used there mx,plx,plx2 for years

True... QSC sets a strong standard when it comes to affordable, good-sounding amps.
Rebelguy 5:58 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
some one said qsc was showing something new

Two new mixing boards.
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:17 PM - 24 January, 2014
The EV speaker demo at NAMM was quite impressive. (Even though they cheated the 10" demo by adding a little sub ooomph).
I already own a pair of 15" powered EV's, so I was intrigued at the new lineup!
The new 15"s sound awesome, and the new subs are much smaller and lighter than the previous 18" beast they had before.
Too bad they chose some honky tonk rock kicks to showcase the subs!

Even got a free beer mug after, yes!
Joee 6:28 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
and the new subs are much smaller and lighter than the previous 18" beast they had before.

what subs are you referring to "beast they had before" the old powered 15?
DjCity 6:38 PM - 24 January, 2014
The powered sub EV had before was a joke.
Joee 6:43 PM - 24 January, 2014
elx118p……he must mean another older model, i still think for what it cost less than $700 it was ok
Joee 6:45 PM - 24 January, 2014
but from the short review Rebelguy gave of the 15 sub…..these new subs are looking promising
Asu 7:05 PM - 24 January, 2014
Now this is more like it from EV...love the ZLX but they're only good as monitors or low volume situation....these i'm def getting....the increased power is def a plus.

With the historical excellent EV Horn sound...i declare the K & KW series dead.

Glad they put this out,been looking for some powerful 12's & 18's,Love EV so i'll stick to them :-)
funkyfresh2012 7:07 PM - 24 January, 2014
Man, i love the new features of EV, but moving up in weight for mobile speakers :(

This makes me want to switch out my JBLs.
Asu 7:30 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Man, i love the new features of EV, but moving up in weight for mobile speakers :(

could be a combination of type of wood used and drivers
DjCity 7:41 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
elx118p……he must mean another older model, i still think for what it cost less than $700 it was ok

Nope...
I was talking about the ELX sub.

It was a joke.
Joee 7:47 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:

do this you will be a happier man for doing so

Quote:
Now this is more like it from EV...love the ZLX but they're only good as monitors or low volume situation....these i'm def getting....the increased power is def a plus.

Glad they put this out,been looking for some powerful 12's & 18's,Love EV so i'll stick to them :-)

qsc been dead ever since yamaha dxf

Quote:
Quote:

Nope...

It was a joke.

i know you were talking about the elx , Kool DJ Sheak One was saying that these new subs were lighter than ev's last sub….it had to be a older model cause the elx sub is 70lbs

i still think for $650 the elx isn't a bad sub…..name a better one that cost the same of less?
Taipanic 8:11 PM - 24 January, 2014
I am thinking the new subs are more in line with the pretty awesome SBa760. Not as big a boom as the Yorkvilles, but acceptable boom and better sound quality.
DjCity 8:14 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

qsc been dead ever since yamaha dxf

Quote:
Quote:

Nope...

It was a joke.

i know you were talking about the elx , Kool DJ Sheak One was saying that these new subs were lighter than ev's last sub….it had to be a older model cause the elx sub is 70lbs

i still think for $650 the elx isn't a bad sub…..name a better one that cost the same of less?

Believe it or not...
Harbinger
Joee 8:29 PM - 24 January, 2014
^ never herd it…..i always see people talking about them when looking for a low price sub…i will look into them…..have any model numbers i should be checking?
DjCity 8:34 PM - 24 January, 2014
Just go to guitar ctr.
They have em.

Only place you can get them from is G.C. or Musicians friend.
funkyfresh2012 9:22 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

the main thing that drew me towards JBL at that time was the textured coating... now, EV/yahama jumped aboard and has them in their line up. smh

Just waiting til they add BT to their higher end mobile speakers. I know JBL is releasing a BT "EON" replacement speaker to their line up.
the_black_one 9:25 PM - 24 January, 2014
Lol at jbl ....

Nm nh nb
DJ GaFFle 9:29 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Now this is more like it from EV...love the ZLX but they're only good as monitors or low volume situation...

This is the best, most sensible review I've ever heard of the ZLX. Everyone else thinks they're Meyer competitors.

Yeah... I have a feeling EV is about to put a stranglehold on the mid-tier market; they and Yamaha will hold strong. With these new ETX's being made in America, it would be a no brainer for me if I were in the market for another set of speakers.

(nm)
funkyfresh2012 9:30 PM - 24 January, 2014
yup... they needed a speaker line up to compete with the ZLX's =T

It would be sweet if EV started working with car audio systems and have them as a factory install for some car companies
Joee 9:35 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Now this is more like it from EV...love the ZLX but they're only good as monitors or low volume situation...

This is the best, most sensible review I've ever heard of the ZLX. Everyone else thinks they're Meyer competitors.

Yeah... I have a feeling EV is about to put a stranglehold on the mid-tier market; they and Yamaha will hold strong. With these new ETX's being made in America, it would be a no brainer for me if I were in the market for another set of speakers.

(nm)

lol…..

not meyer material….but still good for what they cost

Quote:
yup... they needed a speaker line up to compete with the ZLX's =T

It would be sweet if EV started working with car audio systems and have them as a factory install for some car companies

ev's have been used is car audio system for years…..if you want loud in car audio you want EV
Asu 9:48 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Believe it or not...
Harbinger

Harbinger sucks,will be dead in a few months and they don't repair,they'll give u a giftcard for like half the price you bought it
Asu 9:56 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

(nm)

Gaffle i have to be honest since i own a pair of ZLX...the SX300 are way louder which i have too....so i now just use them as monitors and they're excellent at that or low volume/speech situations.

This new line from EV is going back to the tradition of high performance we always expect from EV...def gonna get a pair of 12's and 18's but first i'll compare with my other choice i was thinking of, JBL718XLF
DjCity 9:57 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Believe it or not...
Harbinger

Harbinger sucks,will be dead in a few months and they don't repair,they'll give u a giftcard for like half the price you bought it

They sound better than the ELX and they are louder.

I own a pair and one of the spots I spin at has the ext sub.

The Harbinger crushes the ELX sub.

That gift card you talking about?
I know nothing about it.
One of the speakers blew. Still under warranty, it got fixed. Quickly at that.
One dropped from the truck. It did not get fixed but I got that gift card for the price of the speaker plus tax.
I simply purchased a new one.

I use these as rentals.
DjCity 9:59 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Believe it or not...
Harbinger

They sound better than the ELX and they are louder.

I own a pair and one of the spots I spin at has the ext sub.

The Harbinger crushes the ELX sub.

That gift card you talking about?
I know nothing about it.
One of the speakers blew. Still under warranty, it got fixed. Quickly at that.
One dropped from the truck. It did not get fixed but I got that gift card for the price of the speaker plus tax.
I simply purchased a new one.

I use these as rentals.

Meant to say one of the spots I play at has the ELX
Asu 10:20 PM - 24 January, 2014
well the ELX aren't good at all i agree,i wouldn't buy one
Asu 10:20 PM - 24 January, 2014
the sub that is
Aden 3:56 AM - 26 January, 2014
Just got back from NAMM. I was really impressed with these in the demo. Particularly the 12" model...loud and clean with great low end. I'd like to hear them again in a larger room. The rep said the 12's will likely retail at $1200

There's a digital screen on the rear with some cool presets like tripod, floor monitor, suspended as well crossover options to match different branded subs.
Discobee 4:02 PM - 28 January, 2014
Dannnng twelve hunnit dollars?? Spendy....
Asu 5:43 PM - 28 January, 2014
it'll be nice to compare them to the DXR and DSR speakers...1.25 HF won't get that loud though maybe a realistic 131db maxx like the SX300
DJ GaFFle 6:24 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
it'll be nice to compare them to the DXR and DSR speakers...1.25 HF won't get that loud though maybe a realistic 131db maxx like the SX300

Yeah, I was scratching my head with that one... very disappointing.

(nm)
Asu 6:56 PM - 28 January, 2014
yeah @ $1200,one may as well look for a ZXA5 for $1400 - $1500 with it's solid reputation
DJ GaFFle 7:20 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
yeah @ $1200,one may as well look for a ZXA5 for $1400 - $1500 with it's solid reputation

Eh... ya'll know these boxes will have a street cost a lot less than the MSRP. The MSRP of the ZXA5's back in '06 was $2150 each.

I have a feeling these ETX's will go for less that what they're being advertised for now but considering where they're made, these will hold there value.
Taipanic 8:11 PM - 28 January, 2014
I'm looking forward to hearing the 3 way speakers. Might make a good choice for sound quality. ZXa5s for the gigs that require the volume, ETX-35p for better sound quality of recorded music for medium sized gigs. 3 way speakers definitely sound better by themselves than 2 ways but I am not sure if the difference will be that great when combined with subs (which I always use). It would have to a significant jump in quality for me to consider them, given the size and weight. I would still plan on putting them on poles - 91lbs is no joke to lift solo that high. (nm/nh)
DjCity 8:27 PM - 28 January, 2014
3 way speakers will sound better with subs than 2way.

They hit mids and highs better.
Joee 8:29 PM - 28 January, 2014
the 18" sub & three way would make one nice sounding system I'm thinking
DJEASY 4:21 AM - 22 March, 2014
Quote:
here's another images of said new speaker that's coming out soon, at first i was thinking it was going to be another cheap speaker…..but now i'm not sure?

www.facebook.com

from the looks if it i think it's a wooden box not plastic & they already came out with two cheaper box's elx & zlx……could this be more of a real pro audio speaker & not one meant for the entry level into pro audio?

hummmmm?
DJEASY 4:22 AM - 22 March, 2014
The new ETX family builds upon the industry-leading innovation
and 85-year heritage of Electro-Voice audio engineering
to offer the most advanced professional portable powered
loudspeakers available today.
A versatile high-end choice for live entertainment venues, rental
companies, pro musicians and DJs, and installed sound, the
ETX family features three two-way models (10-inch, 12-inch
and 15-inch, all with a 1.25-inch HF titanium compression
driver), a three-way model (15-inch with a 6.5-inch MF driver
and a 1.25-inch HF titanium compression driver) and two subs
(15-inch and 18-inch drivers).
Positioned above the ZLX and Live X families respectively,
ETX completes a trio of recent EV portable loudspeaker
offerings—each of which was designed to bring best-in-class
performance to its price point.
Inside each low-profile, tour-grade wood enclosure are a host
of unique new features that set ETX apart, combining intelligent
technology and innovative industrial design for spectacular
results across all applications. EV-engineered high-efficiency
transducers and high-powered Class-D amplifiers, Signal
Synchronized Transducers (SST) waveguide design and smart
FIR-Drive DSP all work together to provide peerless EV sound
quality and precise coverage at the highest SPLs.
DjCity 4:29 AM - 22 March, 2014
They gonna CRUSH Qsc.
DJEASY 4:37 AM - 22 March, 2014
In the Same Area With Qsc KW and JBL prx and the Yam's should be for sale in NY area by May 12 the 10' $1099 the 12' $1199 the 15' $1299 the SUBS are 15' $1399 and the 18' $1499 and the 3way is going to be $1499 i suggest to hear them before BUYING..Just Dont Go By Those SPL ###
DJEASY 4:45 AM - 22 March, 2014
DjCity i dont think is a CRUSH these will Sound in that same qsc KW not K the qsc K is CRUSHED by these but the KW dont think sooo,,Well My Opinion
DJEASY 4:56 AM - 22 March, 2014
Quote:
Just waiting til they add BT to their higher end mobile speakers. I know JBL is releasing a BT "EON" replacement speaker to their line up.
DJEASY 4:58 AM - 22 March, 2014
YES they have is the JBL EON 615xt new body NEW LOOK not that UFO look LOL
DJEASY 5:01 AM - 22 March, 2014
Just as A reminder(REMEMBER) those 400w on a speaker then 500w MOST popular 1000w NOW is 2000w By 2015 3000w BUT ARE THEY REALLY THAT LOUD????
DJEASY 5:13 AM - 22 March, 2014
YES IS THE TOUCHMIX Digital Mixer
Joee 12:08 PM - 22 March, 2014
Quote:
They gonna CRUSH Qsc.

i'm wit you on this one

the yamaha dxr is better than the qsc k, i think this ev will be better than both of those
ontime1269 9:02 PM - 22 March, 2014
Quote:
Just as A reminder(REMEMBER) those 400w on a speaker then 500w MOST popular 1000w NOW is 2000w By 2015 3000w BUT ARE THEY REALLY THAT LOUD????

Don't get caught up in the wattage claims that companies put out. The wattages claimed don't judge the output of a speaker. The watts are more about how much heat a voice coil can take before it burns out. None of the speaker manufacturers list the pertinent specs that will judge speaker output.
DjCity 9:40 PM - 22 March, 2014
Quote:
DjCity i dont think is a CRUSH these will Sound in that same qsc KW not K the qsc K is CRUSHED by these but the KW dont think sooo,,Well My Opinion

The older EV series crushes the kw top series.
The Yamahas crush the kw top series.
The new EV line is designed to crush the qsc's.
The new EV 18" sub is more powerful than the kw181.
Kw tops Sound damn good but break up at loud volumes.
Shit... My EV Zlx's keep up with the qsc's and that's EV'S lower range line.

The new EV's will stomp all over QSC k and kw series.
Joee 9:57 PM - 22 March, 2014
Quote:

what he said +1
Asu 6:15 PM - 23 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

what he said +1

I the EV HF driver is very smooth,it's the same one in the legendary world renown SX300.def sounds better than any qsc stuff but it peaks at 131db not 135.

I'm interested in the 18" sub which uses their array sub DVX drivers,so i'm sure it pounds.

by the way a QSC KW181 uses a 600w rms 18" woofer so in reality it's 1200program. so the rest of that 2000w power (probably limited to 1500w) is headroom.

I personally think the ETX is slightly over priced but then again street price will drop after a few months...should be 10" $799, 12" $899, 15" $999, 3 way" $1199,18"$1299
DJEASY 3:25 AM - 26 March, 2014
DjCITY i see you really like EV i have used them but what EV sub is the one you mean that CRUSHES QSC KW181 I really want to know?? And What Yam's SUBS Really???
DJEASY 3:30 AM - 26 March, 2014
the only place where we might get a little upper level,,is with the new PRESONUS live speakers dont know the bass how good is it but MAN those TOPS are incredible to ears
DjCity 3:45 AM - 26 March, 2014
EV ETX 18SP stomps the QSC KW181.

I have 4 KW181's. They are good but the new EV'S are waaaaay better.

Deeper cabinet, better driver, more power.

Hell, the 15 might give the KW181's a run for their money.

There is no Yamaha sub that really competes but as far as tops, Yamaha is crushing QSC in price, sound and power.

I am not a fanboy but what is better, is better.
DJ Quartz 4:57 AM - 26 March, 2014
Hmmmm,

I might have finally found a replacement for my Yorkville E10 set.

I would have to hear the 10's to see how they compete.
Robbie O 2:47 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:

I am not a fanboy but what is better, is better.

Have you demoed them or just going on specs?
-sincerely, an out the closet, qsc fanboy.
Rebelguy 7:36 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:

Are you basing your response on the EV demo at NAMM which featured the ETX line in a controlled environment room which was about 15ft x 20ft?

The ETX are also a cabinet which is about 25lbs heavier without casters.
Joee 7:40 PM - 26 March, 2014
that fact that the new etx sub uses dvx woofers seem interesting

since the ev zxa5 uses dvx woofers and deals out a very nice bass response for a 15" two way really make me want to here what a dvx woofer sounds like when it's made for bass
Rebelguy 7:42 PM - 26 March, 2014
I think the real test would be the ETX-18SP vs the JBL PRX-718XLF.
DjCity 7:45 PM - 26 March, 2014
I am basing that from numbers (specs), from having various qsc speakers and various EV'S.

I own EV'S, and QSC's. I own KW181'S.

Also, the sound guy at Chuck Levins has heard them and he told me they absolutely murder the KW181'S.
He is someone I trust when it comes to sound (for the most part).

Judging simply from the numbers and past experience with both brands, I would go for the EV's without looking back over the QSC's.
Asu 8:42 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
I think the real test would be the ETX-18SP vs the JBL PRX-718 XLF.

the ETX will probably go louder seeing it's 1800 vs 1500 for the XLF.

we all know, the ZXA5 is no joke....so I expect the same from ETX-18SP with that Pro DVX driver which I've read has a raw 101 sensitivity @ 1w/1m...assuming they draw the same RMS power @ 700W,the EV should be louder vs a 96db sensitive driver in the JBL.

Plus EV has 300W more for headroom :-)
DJ GaFFle 3:34 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I think the real test would be the ETX-18SP vs the JBL PRX-718 XLF.

the ETX will probably go louder seeing it's 1800 vs 1500 for the XLF.

we all know, the ZXA5 is no joke....so I expect the same from ETX-18SP with that Pro DVX driver which I've read has a raw 101 sensitivity @ 1w/1m[b]...assuming they draw the same RMS power @ 700W,the EV should be louder vs a [b]96db sensitive driver in the JBL.

Plus EV has 300W more for headroom :-)

Wow, an efficient driver... even more in favor of the ETX-18SP crushing the competition. JBL loaded their SRX's with those hoRRibly inefficient and power-hungry Neo drivers too. People still rave about the SRX's but they could have done much better with a more efficient design.

Here are the enclosure size comparisons:

EV ETX-18p = 22" x 27" x 36" (bigger box = bigger boOM)
QSC KW181 = 20.1" x 23.4" x 29.9"
JBL PRX718-XLF = 27.2" x 20.6" x 28.5"

It's fun to speculate but we won't really know until they hit the stores or someone does a direct A/B comparison. I'm gonna bet my money on the ETX subs being louder and lower than their competition.

(nm)
DJ GaFFle 3:37 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:

...The ETX are also a cabinet which is about 25lbs heavier without casters.

Without casters? That's kind of wack but hopefully, they'll make them optional. I could deal with the extra 25 lbs if the bass is better. The 25lbs could be attributed to their larger size and possibly, more solid construction. All of which leads to better sounding bass.
Joee 3:46 PM - 27 March, 2014
^ i think he means thats what they weigh with out the caster & the casters add more lbs......not that they don't come with casters

all the pics show them with casters .......i would hope that they come with them
DJ GaFFle 3:50 PM - 27 March, 2014
Oh good.
pdidy 4:06 AM - 28 March, 2014
Oh shit the EV ETX is bigger than the Yorkville ls801p

Yorkville ls801p = 23 x 27.5 x 32

DJ GaFFle 10:59 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:

So this is a case where the sub's design, (York) horn-loaded vs (EV) bass-reflex, favors the champion of bass... the LS801P. That is surprising though that it's larger but I doubt it will be louder.
pdidy 11:04 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

So this is a case where the sub's design, (York) horn-loaded vs (EV) bass-reflex, favors the champion of bass... the LS801P. That is surprising though that it's larger but I doubt it will be louder.

yea, my money is on yorks horn design over the standard reflex cab. (spl only of course)
SELECT 6:12 PM - 28 March, 2014
EV ETX 35p (15in 3 way speaker) Watchwww.youtube.com

Looks like a solid piece like my srx tops. Has that same look of quality. Glad they went with wood and not plastic. Coverage pattern is narrow tho at 60 degree horizontal, 40 degree vertical. In the video he states from 50ft away he could feel them. Seems like the degree pattern projects well.
Rebelguy 6:23 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:

Looks like a solid piece like my srx tops. Has that same look of quality. Glad they went with wood and not plastic. Coverage pattern is narrow tho at 60 degree horizontal, 40 degree vertical. In the video he states from 50ft away he could feel them. Seems like the degree pattern projects well.

They are probably assuming they are going to be used for larger events and went with the smaller angle so you could array two of them for a 120 degree coverage pattern.
SELECT 6:25 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

They are probably assuming they are going to be used for larger events and went with the smaller angle so you could array two of them for a 120 degree coverage pattern.

Yeah, thats what I think too when I see cabinets that are angled in the back and have narrow patterns.
Asu 7:36 AM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

may get 4 of them for that purpose instead of the ZXA5 solution Gaffle had suggested to me :-)
DJ GaFFle 1:20 PM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

may get 4 of them for that purpose instead of the ZXA5 solution Gaffle had suggested to me :-)

WTH, When the heLL? I must have made that suggestion before the ETX's came out. Hey man... you makin' me look bad!

Naw... These ETX35P's will have their place. I'm gonna bet they'll sound better than the ZXA5's due to their 3-way design (even the PRX635s sounded better). Max SPL may be a different story. I wonder if these pole mounts are strictly for sub pole mounts and NOT tripods. 103lbs may not be very safe on your garden-variety tripod.

(nm)
Asu 4:43 PM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
WTH, When the heLL? I must have made that suggestion before the ETX's came out. Hey man... you makin' me look bad!

it was on a different thread.i was asking for a cheap solution to cover 1000-1200 people easy.

you suggested 4 ZXA5 and someone else suggested 4 18" yorkies....that was before etx came out....but now i can just do all EV gear for a decent price :-)
Asu 4:44 PM - 29 March, 2014
4 3ways and 4 ETX subs :-) sounds easy enough
DJ GaFFle 5:15 PM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

it was on a different thread.i was asking for a cheap solution to cover 1000-1200 people easy.

you suggested 4 ZXA5 and someone else suggested 4 18" yorkies....that was before etx came out....but now i can just do all EV gear for a decent price :-)

The ZXA5 is probably never a bad suggestion because it's a great speaker. I do feel these ETX35P 3-ways will be an even better solution though considering the sound quality a good 3-way usually puts out. If it's any better than the KW153 or PRX635, you won't regret it. It's got a lot of weight to it but if you're performing for 1000-1200 people, you should expect heavy equipment is going to be involved.

(nm)
Asu 3:27 AM - 30 March, 2014
Quote:
It's got a lot of weight to it but if you're performing for 1000-1200 people, you should expect heavy equipment is going to be involved.

No doubt :-)
Smoke21 7:52 PM - 4 August, 2014
Is the etx line have a better box than the elx... Elx get messed up easly (meaning the cabinet get sctrached easily)
rayjthedj 10:51 PM - 4 August, 2014
The ETX has a very good box and finish. The only draw back is the box is very heavy compared to most of the cabinets in this grade of equipment.

That comes from someone who owns them and I have taken them down to the skeleton. I also own TourX which most people say the ETX is just an active TourX box, TourX is not even in the same league cabinet wise.
TheJamSpace 12:27 AM - 20 August, 2014
I have seen some used ETX stuff on musicians friend already with dings in the grills and dents in the box that exposed the wood... were these guys slamming the gear around carelessly or..?
rayjthedj 12:37 AM - 20 August, 2014
Buy covers, unless your gear is made of cast iron, then buy a fork lift. My TourX stuff I bought almost three years ago looks like it just came out of the box, but I spent good money on Tuki covers before it ever came out of the box.

I don't know of any gear out their that if handled wrong won't look like crap. If you are ruff on your gear then buy rat fur, it takes a beating and still looks like, well, rat fur :)
TheJamSpace 2:44 AM - 20 August, 2014
Yes, I have the EV soft covers for my ELX 118P's and 115P's and other than a little nick on a couple speakers they are in great condition. I am taking care when loading of course.. I just look at these pictures of nearly brand new gear already being sold online and wonder - who buys brand new gear and just slams it around and then sells it off for a loss?

The ELX stuff is not that durable in my opinion but i've managed to keep them in nearly new condition. Glad to hear that the ETX is supposedly more rugged.
Dj Scotty2Hottie 5:47 PM - 28 November, 2016
hey i know im 2 years to late here but i bought a set of these etx-35p and blew a woofer can any one tell me what size voice coil these have for the 15 inch speaker
Asu 10:23 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:
hey i know im 2 years to late here but i bought a set of these etx-35p and blew a woofer can any one tell me what size voice coil these have for the 15 inch speaker

probably 2.5 vc or look it up on EV parts website or better yet,give EV a call...and next time use a properly setup drive rack PX to avoid all these issues....you can get a used older model for $100 and save your speakers.
Joee 11:58 PM - 28 November, 2016
i don't think i ever seen what size the voice coil on the 15" is on the website,

@Asu, he could even do a $30 gorack www.proaudiostar.com
Rebelguy 2:36 AM - 29 November, 2016
Quote:

Doesn't the ETX line have limiting built in already? If they are getting pushed that hard then you might not have enough rig for the gig.
Asu 2:11 PM - 29 November, 2016
Quote:
Doesn't the ETX line have limiting built in already? If they are getting pushed that hard then you might not have enough rig for the gig.

very true...i always wonder how people blow up a powered speaker driver
SELECT 10:05 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

very true...i always wonder how people blow up a powered speaker driver

Ive seen it, I know a guy who plans in the red always. Blew 2 k10s and 2 Eons. Unbelievable. Now he uses a bose system and has ruined one already. Some guys just need to bring a monitor with them always. Smh. He's a pro mobile DJ thats booked year round so he has the cash to buy new speakers. He must go through a pair every year.

Also I stopped using the Gorack, it brought my SPL way down. I tested my system with and without it. The levels were way too low with the gorack.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:20 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Also I stopped using the Gorack, it brought my SPL way down. I tested my system with and without it. The levels were way too low with the gorack.

Go Rack is ok at lower levels, cocktail hour dinner music. And it has been working great with mics for me. Compression & feedback.