Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Final Cut to Mp4 poor qaulity

Jvillin 5:24 AM - 16 January, 2009
Good Evening all....First I'd like to thank all that have contributed to the forums it has been quite helpful in the transition to video.....

the issue

1 Ive ripped dvds with handbrake, then edited in FCP, and finally exported to mp4......quality is terrible Ive followed several suggestions It must be that Im overlooking some key technical details

2 similar issue really....edit in live type rendered as movie edited and added effects in FCP then attepmpted to export with no decent qaulity

thanx so much for the time!
a-swift 6:18 AM - 16 January, 2009
Here's a hint. You're doing something wrong.

I'll run my mp4 against any mp4 made by anybody.
Jvillin 2:29 PM - 16 January, 2009
not so helpful....and painfully obvious!
a-swift 2:53 PM - 16 January, 2009
i thought i posted as much detail about my encoding process as you did.
Jvillin 4:53 PM - 16 January, 2009
I have followed this procedure when exporting from FCP and found poor results. What specifically would be useful in idenifying where my mistakes are?

export > using quicktime conversion > as format choose "mpeg-4", click "options"

for "file format" (top of the window) now choose "mp4" (an n o t "mp4 (isma)" since this one does not give you the h.264 option!)
video format: "h.264"
data rate: (i tried the "ipod maximum") "750 kbits/sec"
image size: "320 x 240 qvga"
frame rate: "30"
key frame every 24 frames (default)
XRM5 4:53 PM - 16 January, 2009
Rip VOB with Mac the Ripper.
Convert VOB to ProRes/8-bit unc/DV in MPEG Streamclip.
Jvillin 4:57 PM - 16 January, 2009
Mac the ripper! k ill try that!!

1 rip devd to VOB...

do i Convert VOB to ProRes/8-bit unc/DV in MPEG Streamclip in FCP after the editing process?
Jvillin 4:58 PM - 16 January, 2009
Quote:

would u mind providing some detail about ur encoding process? please!
a-swift 5:05 PM - 16 January, 2009
Jvillin, never export from FCP using "Quicktime Conversion" option. At least not with any version that's currently available, until they fix some things. Always use the export "Using Compressor" option. Once Compressor opens up, you should have a better selection of sane encoding options because there are "presets" that are already created for you. Most importantly, you'll be using a preset that includes some basic stuff, such as:

H.264 encoding,
Frame Size (same as original, 720x480)
Bitrate 3000 kbits/sec
Frame Rate (same as original)
Key frame every 15 frames

Using a preset with settings closer to the above will result in much higher quality mp4 files. You will probably not be able to tell the difference between the mp4 and the original.

I know its a pain in the ass to use compressor, trust me I wish I personally didn't have to do this, but unfortunately it's the best way.
Jvillin 5:24 PM - 16 January, 2009
swift check it...Im rockin FCP 6.0.1

when I go to export as uncompressed the option is greyed out! Any ideas why that is? Im searching forums now to see why! Thanx again for all ur support!
Jvillin 5:26 PM - 16 January, 2009
correction***** using compressor option is greyed out
Jvillin 5:29 PM - 16 January, 2009
this file was .mov.......I dragged it down to the seqencer it explain settings do not match and allowed me to select yes to match...this freed up the compressor option...however when selecting it says the compressor is not properly installed.....

thanx again sounds like I need to trouble shoot this issue

j
mizu 5:46 PM - 16 January, 2009
ill chime in. You might want to try reinstalling compressor. I beleive you can just reinstall it by clicking options in the Final Cut Studio installer, and deselecting everything but compressor.
nik39 6:25 PM - 16 January, 2009
Quote:

*crying tears*

That was a classic :)
nik39 6:25 PM - 16 January, 2009
erm.. laughing tears.
a-swift 6:45 PM - 16 January, 2009
Ok Jvillin. It sounds like you're using FCP standalone. I assumed you had FCP Studio, which includes the compressor. Nevermind. Carry on. Good luck.
a-swift 6:46 PM - 16 January, 2009
Quote:
erm.. laughing tears.

i cracked myself up with that one too.
nik39 7:11 PM - 16 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
erm.. laughing tears.

i cracked myself up with that one too.

tsk tsk... proper english, eh?

www.dict.cc

:-P
ancientyouth 7:45 PM - 16 January, 2009
so youll probably need dvd studio also..... definately if you want quality...... i saw you are working with a quicktime movie .mov, no good, i started a thread "need help editing recorded ..."' and a swift basically held my hand through the entire process..... youll want to check that....
a-swift 9:16 PM - 16 January, 2009
yes DVD studio is nice if you're gonna make a DVD for any reason. it's also included in FCP Studio.
Jvillin 10:53 PM - 16 January, 2009
I reinstalled the compressor all is good....and video looks amazing! thanx all
mizu 11:41 PM - 16 January, 2009
Quote:
I reinstalled the compressor all is good....and video looks amazing! thanx all

cool man good to hear
ekwipt 6:18 AM - 17 January, 2009
I'm not using video SL but I would

Rip with handbrake
Edit with Final Cut
Export as a quicktime
Use Mpeg Streamclip to compress/export
I've had good results with mpeg streamclip
Jvillin 9:29 PM - 20 January, 2009
so there are some clips I wanna rip from a dvd....is handbrake capible of doing it.......or r there copy right protections on dvds that prevent handbrake?
mizu 11:01 PM - 20 January, 2009
you can, but i dont suggest using handbrake...i would use mpeg streamclip or mac the ripper if you want good quality
mizu 11:02 PM - 20 January, 2009
In mpeg streamclip you can search though your chapters of your dvd and find the exact piece you want
Jvillin 2:43 PM - 21 January, 2009
Quote:
you can, but i dont suggest using handbrake...i would use mpeg streamclip or mac the ripper if you want good quality

lemme ask u this.......whats the best formula for u MIZU to rip then edit then render

rip with mpeg streamclip? rip to what format if u wanna edit it?
a-swift 3:06 PM - 21 January, 2009
i would recommend mac the ripper as the best for ripping music videos. movies is another thing though. you could easily find movies that will foil mac the ripper. for videos though, it's the bee's knees.
mizu 4:21 PM - 21 January, 2009
Quote:
i would recommend mac the ripper as the best for ripping music videos

+1

As far as my process, for movies

Open Mpeg Streamclip, go to File Open DVD
Get to the part of the movie you want and set your in and out points(the shortcuts are "i" for in and "o" for out) then trim your clip by hitting CTRL+T

Then Export to DV, I use DVCPRO25, i leave everything to default in that screen.
I then take that and do my edit in FCP, and then export from FCP using Compressor. Use the settings A-swift gave you above.

Then you should have it!
BR 0731 2:41 AM - 6 January, 2020
I see you go though many procedures to convert the video, but all you need is one tool. So joyoshare media cutter can rip the dvd ( without re-encoding so no quality loss), convert it to mp4( slightly quality loss), add effects to the video( the quality loss is counted in the conversion so you wont experience quality loss again) and then export it. You can try the free trial of this software on their official site.