DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Did my first gig last night... Sort of

Jordan Houghton 11:02 AM - 10 January, 2014
Went out for a night out last night, i didn't realise i knew the dj in one of the main clubs in my area. Couldn't believe it when he asked me to go up and dj for him. i absolutely killed it and loved every minute of it. Definitely something i've got myself into proper now.
raequan 1:32 PM - 10 January, 2014
so you got your controller at xmas 2013(and didnt have a clue with it) and 2 weeks later you djed at a club and you killed... by what terms you killed....

you played all the bangers the people wanted to hear.. you mixed in at the chorus and then the intro came in (yeah ok)....key clashes.

i think it was more slap the next song on and jesus pose.

did you take them to a journey from one popular song to and old school song that sounded the same from back in the day.....

but congrats now you know how it feels when you dj and play out to people
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:42 PM - 10 January, 2014
By all means more details
ozfrombk 2:29 PM - 10 January, 2014
I would like to hear more details on how you killed it dude.

This whole “get a DJ controller and kill a party 2 weeks later” shit has got to stop.

I mean I’m fresh as hell to the DJ game as well. It’s exciting. I get it. You got the equipment and all you wanna do is play for people but damn have some patience and work hard at your craft.

I got a pair of 1200s and a TTM 56s mixer that I consider my holy grail. I been practicing everyday for about 2-3 hours on weekdays (bc of my 9-5) and I try to go for at least 8-12 hrs total on the weekends. This has been my routine for the last 2 years and I know I’m still not good enough for a club debut. There is still a whole load of knowledge I need to acquire and put into practice.

Have you learned to beatmatch by ear?

Have you learned to count beats?

Have you learned song structure?

Do you know the ins and outs of your songs?

This young generation of mine needs to have some more damn pride in their craft and stop thinking they know everything about everything.

You wouldn't start playing basketball for the first time two weeks ago and then think you can ball at Rucker Park today?

I hope not.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:44 PM - 10 January, 2014
You cant just step in the ring with ali cause you think you can box
ozfrombk 2:47 PM - 10 January, 2014
You can't race in NASCAR simply because you got a license
Club Ample 2:48 PM - 10 January, 2014
In my opinion there is no other industry with more hate toward newcomers than the DJ industry.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:50 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
In my opinion there is no other industry with more hate toward newcomers than the DJ industry.

Thats because there is no other industry that hires new employees with no experience who walk in on the first day, work for free, then bitch because they are not employee of the month
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:55 PM - 10 January, 2014
Could you imagine you went to harvard, got a graduate degree, got a job programming software, got raises and promotions, got picked up by microsoft, became a lead programmer, and one day some guy walks into your cube and says "hi im larry i work at the mcdonalds next door, i was walking home and figured this place looks cool. Whatcha got there, you writing a book? Here let me help." And proceeds to open up microsoft paint and draw a stick figure of a guy pissing on a cat. Then going around telling his friends he helped program the new windows OS
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:57 PM - 10 January, 2014
Even worse it that was really like th DJ world then windows ships with HIS pic on the box
Club Ample 3:17 PM - 10 January, 2014
On one hand I completely feel what youre saying.. on the other hand don't hate the player, hate the game. There are very few jobs that can be considered as fun as DJing, and that makes it a big target for people that want to do it for the pure enjoyment of it. As opposed to working construction or some other laborious and mundane job that no one in their right mind would do for meager compensation.

Also, everyone has a different rate at which they can achieve certain skills... some people are naturals while others will never be good no matter how many hours they practice.

The guy who spends 5 hours a day learning how to scratch and beat juggle will get all the respect in the world on these forums if he can show those skills in a video ... but that doesnt mean the guy has any clue about how to read a crowd or that he has any significant knowledge of the music needed to please a crowd.
Good3go85 3:24 PM - 10 January, 2014
UNLESS YOU GOT VIDEO, I DONT BELIEVE IT!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:59 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
On one hand I completely feel what youre saying.. on the other hand don't hate the player, hate the game. There are very few jobs that can be considered as fun as DJing, and that makes it a big target for people that want to do it for the pure enjoyment of it.

I would argue basketball is as much fun if not more than djing yet you DONT see people going to the playground for a pickup game then comming home and changing their job status to pro basketball player. You also dont see jack nicholis stand up courtside at a lakers game, walk up to kobe and say "take a seat champ mind if i hit these free throws forya" even though ole jack might be a better free throw shooter than kobe.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:03 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Jordan Houghton 4:50 AM - 27 December, 2013I'm literally just starting to dj, I've wanted numark mixtrack pro II's for months and my girlfriend kept telling me I wouldn't use them. Then on Christmas Day I opened my present from her and wham they were the little beaut!What did everyone else get?

I would also like to clarify the original poster posted this a few weeks ago
raedonquan 4:13 PM - 10 January, 2014
Knowhaimsayun
DjCity 4:53 PM - 10 January, 2014
You guys are kinda hard on the newbie.

Give him some encouragement.
I doubt he killed it but with sync and the right music at the right time, he may have scrapped by.

Or

He's bullshitting us trying to act more than he is.

When I started, 2 weeks in, I was not even remotely good although I knew my music inside and out.

I could scratch a little. That was about it besides knowing what records could mix. I could not really mix them yet but I knew they mixed.

Ok.
Dude needs a reality check cause you CAN'T kill a club with 2 weeks experience at dj'ing.
HighGrade562 5:12 PM - 10 January, 2014

You should at least know this before you start gigging.
DjCity 5:17 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:

You should at least know this before you start gigging.

Yeah right.

These new jacks have no idea.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:19 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
You guys are kinda hard on the newbie.

Give him some encouragement.
I doubt he killed it but with sync and the right music at the right time, he may have scrapped by.

Or

He's bullshitting us trying to act more than he is.

When I started, 2 weeks in, I was not even remotely good although I knew my music inside and out.

I could scratch a little. That was about it besides knowing what records could mix. I could not really mix them yet but I knew they mixed.

Ok.
Dude needs a reality check cause you CAN'T kill a club with 2 weeks experience at dj'ing.

I feel the reality check given to noobs is important because its very very easy to push play on a hot song (that ANYONE in the crowd could have picked) see people dance and think your great because they did that, when in reality you did nothing...the SONG did that, yet there is a list if other things you failed to do that you dont even realise exist. Its good to be made aware of the reality of your situation so that you can work and act accordingly. Humility is an invaluable commodity in our industry.
latindj 6:08 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Thats because there is no other industry that hires new employees with no experience who walk in on the first day, work for free, then bitch because they are not employee of the month

strippers. your argument is weak.

nm
Gio Alex 6:31 PM - 10 January, 2014
Where's DJ La Formula when you need him?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:51 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

To be fair everything of mine is weak when it comes to strippers
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:51 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Where's DJ La Formula when you need him?

Headlinining vegas most likley
latindj 7:00 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

To be fair everything of mine is weak when it comes to strippers

failure to launch syndrome huh? that's not good...there's an app, ugh, pill for that...lol!

nm
jprime 7:28 PM - 10 January, 2014
Last night my wife stayed at work and she asked me to step up and make some dinner for her and I totally killed it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:48 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Last night my wife stayed at work and she asked me to step up and make some dinner for her and I totally killed it.

So your a professional chef now...nice!!
jprime 8:25 PM - 10 January, 2014
Crazy eh! Just got my first set of knives for xmas too.

Ramsey an me probably be workin on a collab project soon I expect
 6 8:26 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Crazy eh! Just got my first set of knives for xmas too.

Ramsey an me probably be workin on a collab project soon I expect

lol
Joee 8:41 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Went out for a night out last night, i didn't realise i knew the dj in one of the main clubs in my area. Couldn't believe it when he asked me to go up and dj for him. i absolutely killed it and loved every minute of it. Definitely something i've got myself into proper now.

his avatar says it all……I'm just saying
DJ Inubito 8:55 PM - 10 January, 2014
Hey Jordan,

Make a soundcloud (or mixcloud) and upload a mix. :)
Gio Alex 8:58 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Hey Jordan,

Jordan will get devoured by these wolves. Y'all are ruthless! LMAO
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:01 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Jordan,

Jordan will get devoured by these wolves. Y'all are ruthless! LMAO

How would he get killed, hes clesrly a natural savant who "kills it"
Gio Alex 9:04 PM - 10 January, 2014
DjCity 8:08 PM - 19 January, 2014
Damn.

Guess dude got scared away from his own thread.
jamesboi40 8:35 PM - 19 January, 2014
Quote:
i absolutely killed it...
Bad DJ etiquette there man, You didn't do a good job if you have to tell yourself you did a good job, you leave that down to the punters and the guy that hired you, I'm sure you did do good for your first time, Just don't get ahead of yourself, It's been a few weeks, have you recorded any mixes? If so can you post them?
DJ Remix Detroit 9:21 PM - 19 January, 2014
Quote:
Could you imagine you went to harvard, got a graduate degree, got a job programming software, got raises and promotions, got picked up by microsoft, became a lead programmer, and one day some guy walks into your cube and says "hi im larry i work at the mcdonalds next door, i was walking home and figured this place looks cool. Whatcha got there, you writing a book? Here let me help." And proceeds to open up microsoft paint and draw a stick figure of a guy pissing on a cat. Then going around telling his friends he helped program the new windows OS

perfection!