Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

MIDI Clock output for use with DMX lighting controllers/software

DJ Spreads 10:19 PM - 28 December, 2013
MIDI Clock output for use with DMX lighting controllers/software

At the venue where I DJ, we use a separate computer for controlling our DMX lighting set up. We have to take a spare output from the mixer we use to run into the computer so that it can register the BPM for lighting effects.

My suggestion is an inclusion of a MIDI clock that will allow outputting of the current BPM of tracks being played so that the DMX software can register the BPM.

It would also be awesome if Serato could include DMX triggering too, so I could program entire lighting routines for songs and have them trigger within Serato as the song plays.

.... That last suggestion is asking a lot, I know, but a MIDI clock would be awesome!
DJGongshow 2:40 AM - 25 April, 2014
+1
MBLL 8:45 PM - 26 April, 2014
+1.

I would like a midi in and out. That would be great for using external gear like drum-maschines, samplers etc.
Mutis Mayfield 4:19 PM - 27 April, 2014
And Ableton...
controversial 5:43 AM - 4 December, 2014
+1
kebzer 11:38 AM - 5 December, 2014
+1

SDJ is hell of an expensive product, not to include MIDI output.
Musik Trends 5:49 AM - 9 December, 2014
Enable DMX triggering through the IAC driver. I'd love be able to bring up a song and set trigger points at a verse, chorus, bridge etc so that it can trigger scenes in lighting software such as Enttec's D-Pro
Mutis Mayfield 11:36 AM - 9 December, 2014
It is possible with live (has especial maxforlive patches for enttec) but yes, it will be great do it with one soft...
Mr Wilks 3:20 AM - 11 December, 2014
+1 This a pretty cool feature and is needed.

Being able to control lighting, lasers, LED walls, CD2, smoke, fire etc would be neat, especially if you could trigger using cue points.
Mr Wilks 3:23 AM - 11 December, 2014
I remember this from a few years back. It was Joachim Garraud using midi.

Invasion Secrets with Serato Video-SL: youtu.be
kebzer 10:43 AM - 11 December, 2014
All we need for a start is SDJ to be able to transmit BPM info somehow. Probably via USB I guess. Wi-Fi should not be considered as an option, because of the possibility for a conflict with SDJ. So, USB could do the task. From there, anyone can take the transmitted data and incorporate them with whatever they want.

Probably the solution lies somewhere inside the original code of the Bridge.

As a next step, I guess MIDI data transmission should be implemented.
DJwhizkid 11:01 AM - 11 December, 2014
In my opinion this kind of BPM sharing has a huge business potential. As i see it, if serato will offer such a feature it will be a paid expansion.
kebzer 11:24 AM - 11 December, 2014
At this point, I don't have a problem paying for expansions. This new practice of Serato is way more fair for the customer, than simply charging 150 bucks for every new version, full of stuff that probably I might not even touch.

For example, I have bought PnT & Flip, but no FX packs. So, up to now my whole SDJ customer history sums up to 60 bucks, not bad at all (I own an SL3 from the SSL days).

I cannot speak about new customers, entering Serato now, but for the old users their policy is fair. So, charging a few bucks for a BPM module is definitely OK, since obviously not all DJs will be interested in such a feature.
DJwhizkid 11:51 AM - 11 December, 2014
Didn't say its not fair… Just mentioned it :)
Mutis Mayfield 8:58 PM - 5 January, 2015
Bpm calculation is simple and under the hood for sync needs. Midi jitter has its own issues and that's the reason behind (I suspect due to old rant with live external sync...) there is no output in Serato...

Output as a midi clock is easy too but the Bridge had a better implementation (direct control of ableton transport based in special audio track from timecode into relative makers... Not conversion: remote script! ... Without scratching cappabilities due to ableton audio blablah) so, it will be more intelligent to implement some kind of "plugin" in ableton (m4l?) which manage the timecode itself but...

It also has another issue related to audio sharing from sdj (which was performed in internal socket from ssl to live and viceversa aka the socket/bridge) because m4l in max6 enviroment didn't allow multichannel routing (liveApi limitation again) so no more than one turntable for audiochannel... (Maybe it could be possible to setup a float window recieving audio from two or more different instances of channel audio router...) and again issues and issues...

So, why not rethink the Bridge/mixtape itself? That's the reason behind silence and wait... And sdj, p'n't, flip... Sync! These are steps to accomplish all the promised features but maybe in different form and order (first Itch users, later ssl migration to sdj...)

If Serato implement some kind of timeline recorder (like old NI NHL perhaps) with some flexible makers for Sp16 (aka session view or remix decks) flip clips... You will have the same in only one app and without midi clock necessity (almost if you don't expect to manage external gear...)
Mutis Mayfield 9:31 PM - 5 January, 2015
Only to state how BPM calculation is by far implemented check this:

If you are smart enough, create a "own" Bridge to live could be doable... ;)

mansteri.com
AlxRyde 9:12 AM - 9 January, 2015
I'd be interested in it as well. I'm a bit at odds as to how we would select what BPM to sync the clock to though.

The way Traktor has implemented it, there is a deck that controls the Master BPM, and you can see this very clearly in the software. The Master will typically switch focus automatically when you stop a playing deck, though when you are playing multiple decks out, this can get confusing quickly, especially if you're not using Sync. Alternatively, you can dictate a Master BPM in the software without it being tied to any deck, and you can Sync decks to this virtual sort of "deck".

Serato, doesn't have this kind of interface, nor do I know if it has it implemented at some core level. I know that there is some sort of "Master BPM" going on when you're using sync, but I don't know whether there's anything else going on when Sync is off. The way it works in Traktor is elegant because the Master switches automatically when you change decks, and you can dictate the Master by yourself if you need to. Since this is integral to the software, it works with any mixer out there, whereas I can see it being a little more complicated with Serato if the framework isn't already there.
Mutis Mayfield 4:46 PM - 9 January, 2015
The main issue is the negative approach to Sync in Serato itself. Let me explain it.

Sync is not the "enemy" to "realdj" is only a tool in this kind of jobs with multiple decks, fx, flip, video... The way which Traktor manages it with Master clock attached or not to deck control comes from the electronic music background itself. To me a turntable was a player in its born but muted into instrument with the turntablism era and into tool with dvs and midi implementation of the applications for djing.

If you see the turntable with dvs vinyl as a whole new "instrument/tool" you start to expand the possibilities beyond scratching and mixing (ie: become a Master clock controller for Mpc or hardware sequencers) and in these new "paradigm" sync is useful. To mix 2 tracks not so, but to perform with other musicians you will need some kind of "tic clock" to work altogether. When you think in mix 3 decks, loops, fx (with time in mind like delays) and so on... Sync becomes necessary.

Said that (and hoping people could get over it) and back on topic...

The way you could get profit of these "serato qc clips/abstractions" related to the clock and sync (even with on/off switch) is starting to develop with the "tic clock" and external control in mind.

Let's go a bit further with some math...

If you have a deck with its bpm (and beatgrid of course) you can generate a clock signal sending a pulse every second doing bpm/60. If you attach the dispatching pulse to a beatgrid (transient) event then you have sync midi clock out (to this deck as master).

If you want to generate a Master Clock outside sync, you should need a number box (integer and maybe a float variable for finetune bpm) which sends the same message (bpm/60) plus start stop (acting as a beatgrid or "metronome"...

Then if you want to switch automatically when you turn play/stop is some coding (boolean function observer) which gets the "main" clock generator to listen.

All this math is doable in QC (or maxmsp, pd...) and it could run alongside SSL or SDJ but I expect it will be integrated soon inside the software itself because I hope users which understand Flip potential and demand features like remix deck, midi clock out and so... understand the "accessory need" of sync as part of all these "algorithm" to control external (soft/hard) "things" from turntable maneuver.

At last nobody (at Serato) is saying "Hey we have Sync, forget about djing fellas!". I strong believe it is the opposite and they are doing a great job.
Mutis Mayfield 4:48 PM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:
but muted into instrument

mutated, sorry for misspelling it...
Mutis Mayfield 4:51 PM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:
f you attach the dispatching pulse to a beatgrid (transient) event then you have sync midi clock out (to this deck as master).

Counting beatgrid event/4 if you are in 4:4 music content...
DER_FICH 9:12 PM - 9 January, 2015
+1
jrj07c 10:16 PM - 9 January, 2015
+1
DJCY 11:41 PM - 2 March, 2015
+1

It is time for DMX clock output
ivan martinez 10:32 PM - 19 March, 2015
Ableton ready!!
DJGongshow 3:44 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
+1

Would be so useful. Would be fantastic to have a MIDI signal emitted for evey cue point that to jump to or pass so that you can trigger different lighting scenes/chases just by letting a song play through. I would imagine this wouldn't be too complex as you already have the cue points which are marked at certain points and with beat grids you already have the BPM.

I would definitely pay for this feature.

+1
DJCY 7:23 AM - 2 June, 2015
Is this function possible yet?

beatgrid clock midi to advance dmx or by cue point to change scenes

Yes, I would pay for such a plugin
Mutis Mayfield 8:52 AM - 2 June, 2015
I don't remember if I shared this early in the post...

Anyways... Maybe some of you like to code in quartz and could implement by itself the clock thing (almost as proof of concept to show Serato the potential...)

mansteri.com

Just saying...