DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Numark Orbit Mapping for Scratch Live

Serato, Support
Karl Y 6:44 PM - 18 December, 2013
Hi everyone,

i've made a little mapping for the Numark Orbit with Scratch Live

Download the attached Zip file and follow these instructions:

1) Download the Numark Orbit Editor from the downloads section here: www.numark.com
Connect your Orbit, run the Numark Orbit Editor and load the JSON file provided in the ZIP package below this post.
Click "Send current mapping to Orbit"
i tried to change as few settings as possible compared to the device factory defaults, but some things are different, so if you want to use your Orbit with other software as well, make sure you RETRIEVE and SAVE the factory default first.

2) Navigate to your home / Music/_Serato_/ folder.
If it exists, open the MIDI folder, if it doesn't, create a new folder and name it "MIDI" (all caps)

3) copy the Orbit.xml file from the ZIP archive there.

4) delete the AUTO_SAVE.XML file if it exists to wipe out fragments of older mappings that may cause conflicts.

5) open Scratch Live and connect both the Orbit and your Rane hardware.

6) open the Setup screen, navigate to the MIDI panel

7) make sure the Orbit is in the list of devices. Check that "Enable MIDI Output Lighting" is ticked.

8) load the mapping "Orbit _SSL_25"

That's it.

Mapping Details

Pad Bank 1:
Cue points (red)
Library back / Expand/collapse sub crates (light green)
Library forward / load track (bright green)
Shift for Hot Cue Delete (blue)
Scroll library (jog wheel)

Pad Bank 2:
Sample Player
Current sampler bank is red, inactive banks are light blue
sample triggers are turquoise, active samples are marine blue
Jog wheel controls sample player master volume

Pad Bank 3:
Loop Rolls
left row top to bottom, then right row top to bottom represent values 1/32 to 4 beats

Pad Bank 4:
Auto Loops
left row top to bottom, then right row top to bottom represent values 1/4 to 32 beats

All banks: "Shoulder Triggers" / Gyro Sensors
Momentary Ultra Knob Effects
Left shoulder trigger, axis one: left ultra knob effect
Right shoulder trigger, axis two: right ultra knob effect

Note that some buttons are unused, and some controls are redundantly mapped, e.g. the jog wheel does the same thing regardless of K1/K2/K3/K4. - and it is unmapped on the Loop /Roll pages.
I personally think that a good mapping doesn't have to use every key or access every function for the sake of it, but rather provide what's useful and keep it clear.

But please let us know your feedback :-)

Karl Y
6:44 PM, 18 Dec 2013
Discussion moved to Scratch Live MIDI Device Presets
6:58 PM, 18 Dec 2013
Download mapping here --->
Download· Permalink
thorissr 8:15 PM - 27 May, 2014
This mapping really came in handy!!!!

Thanks
mr medic 3:26 PM - 2 February, 2015
amazing mapping thx!!! i just made some changes in de colors of the cue point so they match with the serato cue point colors :D
5:59 AM, 20 Mar 2015
amplogik attached a file: numark_orbit_logik_mapping.xml
Download· Permalink
amplogik 6:29 AM - 20 March, 2015
Here's another one, for Serato DJ, not SSL.

Hand coded to support colors and lighting.

Frankly, the mapping from Numark sucked for anything I wanted to do. Really I needed a remote for when I stepped away from the tables or from the NS7II which I tend to use on the road more these days.

Bank 1 - Cue Points 1-8
cue points for left and right decks,
arrange top out to bottom in
left side - left deck
right side - right deck
color matched to the default cue colors for cues 1-8 with midi output lighting
left bumper / motion - filter left deck
right bumper motion - filter right deck

Bank 2 - loop rolls
left deck and right deck as above
1/16 beat to 8 beats - out to in both sides
Left buttons - left deck
Right buttons - right deck
No knob controls yet - but you could map them to the loop size I suppose. I had trouble with that tho.

Bank 3 - SP6 control
bottom row, bank selection (purple),
outer left side - sample slots top to bottom, 1,2,3 (green)
inner left side - smart sync sample to to bottom 1,2,3 (orange)
outer right side - sample slots top to bottom, 4,5,6 (green)
inner right side - smart sync sample to to bottom 4,5,6 (orange)
Left Bumper - Vol/Gain Slot 1
K1 - Vol/Gain Slot 2
K2 - Vol/Gain Slot 3
Right Bumper - Vol/Gain Slot 4
K1 - Vol/Gain Slot 5
K2 - Vol/Gain Slot 6

Bank 4 - FX
outer left top 3 (white) - FX A toggle 1, 2 and 3
outer right top 3 (white) - FX B toggle 1, 2 and 3
inner left top 2 (orange) - Send A Channel1
inner left top 2 (orange) - Send B rChannel2
inner left 3rd from top (pink) - Send A - Master
inner right 3rd from top (pink) - Send B - Master
Bumper left - FX Bank A - knob 1
K1 - FX Bank A - knob 2
K2 - FX Bank B - knob 3
Bumper left - FX Bank B knob 1
K1 - FX Bank B knob 2
K2 - FX Bank B knob 3

This mapping supports midi lighting for Sertao DJ 1.7.2, however, that is buggy as hell, I'm sorry to say.

There are issues with SDJ sending lighting or colors on off states to buttons, particularily on channel 4, controls 39, 43, and 47 - so those buttons are either off or on white. Can't work out what is different about them.

There is some issue with CC controls on FX B 3 with absolute CC messages so I've had to set it as an offset control.

Midi ON lighting seems not to send specified colors to the device if the off state has a darker color, so the buttons all just stay lit up with a paler color that I'd like. The loop roll for example is supposed to go bright white/blue for the currently selected roll, but MIDI OX shows that this is not being sent.

Also the generated XML from SDJ is a bloody mess. No offence intended to the hard workers at serato, but it really is awful. Nodes are repeated all over the place for no reason, the DTD appears inconsistent, and all the elegance of the SDJ xml file has been lost in what I will describe gently as bloat. So there's probably errors somewhere.

I would really love someone from Serato to take a look at this file and find out why MIDI on/off lighting states don't seem to work, and everything defaults to the dark color, and what the heck is up with channel 4 midi lighting on note 39, 43, and 47. I can't figure it out even after days of careful work.

Still, it's still useable, easy to tell at a glance what you are doing, what bank you are on, and light years ahead of that awful Numark preset.
Maven Lore 2:00 AM - 6 April, 2015
First of, amplogik, I'd like to say thanks for coding this map. However, I feel I'm doing something wrong when using it. Specifically with the loop rolls section, but none of the other functions besides cue points really work for me. On mine, it just goes to regular loops, not rolls. I'm using SDJ 1.73 on a 2011 Macbook Pro. I have deleted any and all auto saves, cleared the controller, and loaded your map. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Quote:
Here's another one, for Serato DJ, not SSL.

Hand coded to support colors and lighting.

Frankly, the mapping from Numark sucked for anything I wanted to do. Really I needed a remote for when I stepped away from the tables or from the NS7II which I tend to use on the road more these days.

Bank 1 - Cue Points 1-8
cue points for left and right decks,
arrange top out to bottom in
left side - left deck
right side - right deck
color matched to the default cue colors for cues 1-8 with midi output lighting
left bumper / motion - filter left deck
right bumper motion - filter right deck

Bank 2 - loop rolls
left deck and right deck as above
1/16 beat to 8 beats - out to in both sides
Left buttons - left deck
Right buttons - right deck
No knob controls yet - but you could map them to the loop size I suppose. I had trouble with that tho.

Bank 3 - SP6 control
bottom row, bank selection (purple),
outer left side - sample slots top to bottom, 1,2,3 (green)
inner left side - smart sync sample to to bottom 1,2,3 (orange)
outer right side - sample slots top to bottom, 4,5,6 (green)
inner right side - smart sync sample to to bottom 4,5,6 (orange)
Left Bumper - Vol/Gain Slot 1
K1 - Vol/Gain Slot 2
K2 - Vol/Gain Slot 3
Right Bumper - Vol/Gain Slot 4
K1 - Vol/Gain Slot 5
K2 - Vol/Gain Slot 6

Bank 4 - FX
outer left top 3 (white) - FX A toggle 1, 2 and 3
outer right top 3 (white) - FX B toggle 1, 2 and 3
inner left top 2 (orange) - Send A Channel1
inner left top 2 (orange) - Send B rChannel2
inner left 3rd from top (pink) - Send A - Master
inner right 3rd from top (pink) - Send B - Master
Bumper left - FX Bank A - knob 1
K1 - FX Bank A - knob 2
K2 - FX Bank B - knob 3
Bumper left - FX Bank B knob 1
K1 - FX Bank B knob 2
K2 - FX Bank B knob 3

This mapping supports midi lighting for Sertao DJ 1.7.2, however, that is buggy as hell, I'm sorry to say.

There are issues with SDJ sending lighting or colors on off states to buttons, particularily on channel 4, controls 39, 43, and 47 - so those buttons are either off or on white. Can't work out what is different about them.

There is some issue with CC controls on FX B 3 with absolute CC messages so I've had to set it as an offset control.

Midi ON lighting seems not to send specified colors to the device if the off state has a darker color, so the buttons all just stay lit up with a paler color that I'd like. The loop roll for example is supposed to go bright white/blue for the currently selected roll, but MIDI OX shows that this is not being sent.

Also the generated XML from SDJ is a bloody mess. No offence intended to the hard workers at serato, but it really is awful. Nodes are repeated all over the place for no reason, the DTD appears inconsistent, and all the elegance of the SDJ xml file has been lost in what I will describe gently as bloat. So there's probably errors somewhere.

I would really love someone from Serato to take a look at this file and find out why MIDI on/off lighting states don't seem to work, and everything defaults to the dark color, and what the heck is up with channel 4 midi lighting on note 39, 43, and 47. I can't figure it out even after days of careful work.

Still, it's still useable, easy to tell at a glance what you are doing, what bank you are on, and light years ahead of that awful Numark preset.
amplogik 6:40 PM - 10 April, 2015
I've tried it on both mac and pc, so I'm not sure what the trouble might be.

Some questions so I can figure out what you're seeing:

When you swtich to bank 2 - loop rolls, do the buttons light up blue? What about the other two banks? Do the colors change?

With loop rolls/auto loop, it should be arranged shortest loop to largest loop. Standard loop mode doesn't do this, it only allows you to set in, out and reloop, which I rarely use live, so I didn't set up a bank for that.

How about the SP6 control? You have to select the current bank, using the bottom row of buttons first, then choose your sample playback from the outer top buttons. The inner top buttons are for sync, but smart sync only works if it set in your global preferences of course.

The FX control on bank 4 of course only works if you have already set up FX and have chosen single or multi FX mode. It doesn't allow you to scroll through and select FX, you have to have them chosen ahead of time. Again, this layout is customized for live performance control rather than setup.

Now, assuming that all of the above checks out, then not sure what the issue would be.

If only bank 1 is ligthing up when you have samples present, then there must be something wrong with the loading of the xml into serato. All buttons should light up if there are functions, samples, or ques lit up, and in bank 2 in particular, all buttons should be blue if any song is playing, as you can select any length roll at any time. If that is not happening I suspect serato is choking on the XML file.

I had a lot of trouble at first myself, because SDJ does some very annoying things with it's xml files. For example, if you clear out the auto_save.xml and load a new mapping, it reorders the mapping in the file each and every time. What I've ended up doing, is saving out the orbit mapping as AUTO_SAVE.xml and putting that in the folder as well, to prevent Serato from going haywire.

Also, and this is important, if you have other MIDI controls that use the same midi channel and / or control/note as one mapped on the orbit, output lighting and control don't work right. Serato doesn't know which device to route them too and doesn't broadcast to all devices on that channel ( a bad midi implementation ) as it should. Tested and verified with midi ox.

So, it might help if you disable other midi devices and save out the orbit mapping as AUTO_SAVE.xml as well, and put that in the folder too.

I'll try to get some pictures and video up on the mapping next week.
DJ SOUTH 11:51 PM - 19 June, 2015
the loop rolls are not working on mine i did everything u said to the t please help thank you