Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

REMOTE/MINI OR PIONEER SP1?

DJKayce 1:05 AM - 11 December, 2013
Hey guys, Am currently using Rane 61 with Denon DN-HC1000s to control my cues, loops, Fx, sp6 and so on. Planning on adding the Pioneer SP1 in Feb '14 to control DJ. I have DDJ-SX for my smaller gigs and I liked the DJ a lot.
Please anyone with the knowledge of SP1 & Remote? Do they do the same functions? Should I just get the App and call a day thereby saving my money or U think I might still need the SP1 to go with Rane 61 come Feb '14 for Serato DJ?

Pioneer sp1 -- $399
Remote iPad -- $19.99
Remote Mini -- $4.99

I have an iPad & iPhone already.
Dj MacMillz 1:41 AM - 11 December, 2013
I would say get the app for ipad....as SDJ develops so will the app. Just look at the DN-HC1000S shortly after it was released, SSL added EFX....and we had to find a workaround/custom map it, eventually there were more functions than buttons/pads. With the app they will always find a way to add those functions via pages/tabs etc.

Personally I haven't pulled the trigger via the apps, my controller does all what I need so far. (NS6), my HC1000S is used with my SL1
DJKayce 6:38 AM - 11 December, 2013
Thanks MacMillz, am leaning towards remote for iPad since I can use it with SSL & DJ. Will get back soon.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:33 AM - 11 December, 2013
Pioneer = Buttons
Ipad/Iphone = Touch Screen

If like me i like to feel a button being pressed, with touch screen it just doesnt feel right.

Something to think about.
deejdave 3:52 AM - 14 December, 2013
I have all three and will say the remotes (ipad or iPhone) are very responsive when using the USB cable but nothing beats physical buttons & pads like woolsey said. Just asking though why not a remote or even all three? The SP1 is the only one that is even remotely expensive as the other two are pocket change. You will be pleasantly surprised by them all though.

BTW the SP1 has the same functions as the DDJ-SX (for the most part) and the Remote mini is a slim version of the Remote (obviously) they control similar features but do it differently. The performance pads can't be beat by the remote though. Physically superior as well as the beat slice are tops. Can't go wrong with any of them though. Of course you will get more oohs & aahs from the masses as anything with an ipad is "super cool" but us DJ's know where it's at!! LOL.
DJKayce 9:16 AM - 14 December, 2013
Thanks y'all. Just bought d remote ipad. Nice but still missing a key function for me (Reloop pad). All pioneer cdj's has this function including my ddj-sx. Love d ddj-sx so much since day 1. Will still buy d SP-1 come feb to go with my Sixty-one mixer.
Futuretek 2:50 PM - 14 December, 2013
Good choice... Start with the pocket change option and if it doesn't do what you want then step up to the other ones.
deejdave 3:58 PM - 14 December, 2013
Exactly. Just remember you can always use the remote with the SP1 as well so you get the best of both worlds at the same time. I even sometimes still use my Kontrol X1 which literally means I have 5 option for cue points etc.

1.)The Laptop itself (1-5)
2.)DDJ-SP1
3.)CDJ-2000 Nexus's
4.)Kontrol X1
5.)Serato Remote.

Whenever I use my Rane 64 I even have six options as the mixer has the cue points built in. I don't use them however due to the fact that Rane has notoriously infamous button durability.
DJKayce 5:02 PM - 14 December, 2013
Wow !!! Will do that.