Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Cant use 4 decks......

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark MixDeck Quad
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:45 PM - 1 December, 2013
How can I switch to 4 decks when using the Mixdeck Quad??
Serato, Support
Scott S 2:56 AM - 2 December, 2013
Hi the SOUNDINSURGENT,

You can not use 4 decks inside Serato DJ with the Mixdeck Quad. The Numark Mixdeck Quad supports the use of two virtual decks within Serato DJ. The remaining two channels on the controller can be used as external hardware channels.

Regards
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:00 AM - 2 December, 2013
You can not be serious?!?! I really, really hope this is changed in the future. After all it is a 4 channel controller and programs like VDJ and TRAKTOR can handle the job just fine.

I really am starting to question Seratos motives here....... Not impressed at all right now.
AlekNS7 2:45 PM - 2 December, 2013
What about Numark NS7 II ? Is it the same case with it, or 4 decks are available?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:09 PM - 2 December, 2013
Hi AlekNS7,

No the NS7 II was designed for Serato DJ so it is capable of using all 4 channels.

The Mixdeck Quad was not designed for Serato DJ and can only support two virtual decks within Serato DJ. You can still use the other two channels, but as hardware channels.

Regards
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:25 PM - 2 December, 2013
No That's just weak programming bro, Sorry but There's really no excuse for it only being 2 decks.

Who do I have to call or email to get this fixed??
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:44 PM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:
Who do I have to call or email to get this fixed??

Feel free to contact Numark about this issue > www.numark.com

Quote:
VDJ and TRAKTOR can handle the job just fine.

They dont actually, not natively. They are custom MIDI layer mappings done by the user.

The Mixdeck Quad was designed before 4 deck mixing was the 'norm, and I believe Numark marketed the product to have the extra 2 channels as hardware audio channels only (for mobile DJ's). Channels 3 and 4 are not natively software channels.

Cheers
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:36 PM - 2 December, 2013
So I'm gonna get the same run around as before, cool.

Well regardless of how you wanna spin things we both know that with a better mapping it is totally possible to use 4 decks. .........

but OK I know I'm only one user who doesn't mean shit in the big picture of things so I guess I'll stick with other software cause y'all are clearly not trying to do any extra work.

As you say "Cheers".
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:54 PM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:
Well regardless of how you wanna spin things we both know that with a better mapping it is totally possible to use 4 decks. .........

Yes it is possible, with a custom mapping. However we dont like the idea of custom mappings around here, it's inelegant and unpredictable. We prefer a native mapping. If you wish to dabble with custom mappings then Virtual DJ would be your best choice.

Serato has never offered custom mappings for controllers. We have never encouraged people to hack the way a controller is designed to work, as I said before this can be unpredictable and unstable.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:51 PM - 2 December, 2013
Well I guess we'll just agree that we disagree......... But I still say that the programmers in your camp are more then talented enough to make it work and be stable........

Cheers
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:12 AM - 3 December, 2013
Thanks SOUNDINSERGENT, I will close this thread and log it as a feature request, as there is not much more I am able to do at this stage.

Regards