DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The Grandmaster Switchbox - Selector for routing phono to Traktor or Serato

The Human Error 11:51 PM - 23 November, 2013
Finally a cheap solution for Djs who want to use both Traktor and Serato at the same time without swapping phono cables.

farm8.staticflickr.com
farm4.staticflickr.com
farm3.staticflickr.com

More images:
www.flickr.com
Dax 10:59 AM - 24 November, 2013
handy little box

nice idea.
Discobee 11:14 AM - 24 November, 2013
Did Grandmaster Jay inspire the name for the switchbox?
The Human Error 11:35 AM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
Did Grandmaster Jay inspire the name for the switchbox?

He gave the permission to use the name Grandmaster.
forty 12:24 PM - 24 November, 2013
www.allen-heath.com

Better solution.

I have 2 of these. They work great, except for idiotic DJ's that can't get their head around the setup. It's really not that hard.
The Human Error 12:30 PM - 24 November, 2013
Why is it better? Much more expensive and rack size lol.
forty 12:59 PM - 24 November, 2013
Have a look at the specs.

Double output from turntables/CDJ's. Reverse RIAA filters so you can plug back in to phono inputs etc.

In a club install, rackmount is so much better and cleaner. It can be out of the way and not intrude with the current DJ.

Cost is subjective.

Anyhoo, it's another option. There's a few out there, but IMHO this is the best.
Daniel Ventura 1:03 PM - 24 November, 2013
luke ldp-1 ftw
The Human Error 1:07 PM - 24 November, 2013
If I only played at one club where these fancy rack stuff was already installed it would be great. I think you are missing the point but whatever.
deezlee 3:40 PM - 24 November, 2013
That's cool lookin but we're usually fine using:

1. the "through" button.
Or
2. RCA splitters
or
3. Through output if using a sl1.

I'd be more excited If it also switched between the two dvs' outputs so that we could use a 2 channel mixer. That's the problem that we end up needing switchboxes for sometimes.
phatbob 3:51 PM - 24 November, 2013
Bet Rane will be delighted to see their logo on there.

Hope you have a good lawyer.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:01 PM - 24 November, 2013
Curious - how much?
The Human Error 4:02 PM - 24 November, 2013
Better call Saul!
AKIEM 5:59 PM - 24 November, 2013
Can you drive over that box with a truck?

:/

Wow
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:10 PM - 24 November, 2013
Is it safe to say that this box is not just limited to just switching between Traktor and Serato?
DJ DisGrace 6:10 PM - 24 November, 2013
Is this thing even real? Can't find anything about it...
DJ DisGrace 6:11 PM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
Is this thing even real? Can't find anything about it...

Ahh, I see. It's a homemade project. Looks good!
AKIEM 6:14 PM - 24 November, 2013
Wait you made that one - ah nice work then.

Still kinda funny with the Rane logo tho
skinnyguy 6:23 PM - 24 November, 2013
Wasn't pssl selling something like this a long time ago? Forgot who actually made it but that's where I saw it.
The Human Error 6:51 PM - 24 November, 2013
1. Yeah you could do that
2. I had problems using splitters, worked perfectly fine sometimes and problems other times.
3. Yup, this is easier imo.

Quote:

1. the "through" button.
Or
2. RCA splitters
or

I'd be more excited If it also switched between the two dvs' outputs so that we could use a 2 channel mixer. That's the problem that we end up needing switchboxes for sometimes.
The Human Error 6:54 PM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
Is it safe to say that this box is not just limited to just switching between Traktor and Serato?

Yeah off course!
The Human Error 6:55 PM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
Wait you made that one - ah nice work then.

Still kinda funny with the Rane logo tho

Quote:
Wasn't pssl selling something like this a long time ago? Forgot who actually made it but that's where I saw it.

The selector by Stokyo is a more advanced switcher.
The Human Error 7:10 PM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
Curious - how much?

Aluminum housing Teko, 143x72x43mm 3,45 €
2 x Stage rotary switch, 4 pole, 3 position 2x1.95 €
16x isolated RCA jacks 18 €
2x Alu knob 2x1,80 €
Som wires 2 €

Total: 30,95 € approx 41,76

Probably could have found cheaper rca jacks...
The Human Error 7:10 PM - 24 November, 2013
approx 41.76 $
forty 7:37 PM - 24 November, 2013
Quote:
If I only played at one club where these fancy rack stuff was already installed it would be great. I think you are missing the point but whatever.

I don't think I missed the point at all. The A&H product does MUCH more. I even use one at home. If portability was the real issue, you can accomplish the same thing with a series of splitters rather than a box.

Having said that, I didn't realize you made this and that it was a DIY project. Congrats. I too originally made a similar box before the A&H was on the market. After it came out, I tried one and was impressed with the extra functionality gained.

Anyway, like I said, there's a few different options out there like the Stokyo box you mentioned. I just wanted to point out the A&H as I've been in this position and have first hand experience.
deezlee 1:13 AM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:
2. I had problems using splitters, worked perfectly fine sometimes and problems other times.

Quote:

1. the "through" button.
Or
2. RCA splitters
or

Yeah I must have been grumpy this morning. That's a nice job on the switchbox. I just noticed that it has rca throughs too (which I prefer over the sl3's software throughs).
The Human Error 7:46 AM - 25 November, 2013
Haha no worries.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

1. the "through" button.
Or
2. RCA splitters
or

Yeah I must have been grumpy this morning. That's a nice job on the switchbox. I just noticed that it has rca throughs too (which I prefer over the sl3's software throughs).
ninjagaijin 11:34 AM - 10 January, 2017
I just got around this with a couple of Rek-o-kut low noise phono switches - I use them as splitters in reverse and works perfectly. So from one turntable input I can select between vinyl/phono output and line/DVS output with a button press. So a good way to elimimate those pesky Rane/SL3 AD-DA stage on top of the phono pre. My xone 92 phono input/pres sound better anyway
ninjagaijin 6:35 PM - 10 January, 2017
The roundup:

Note, deezlee mentioned a simple switch they found cheap on amazon in another thread

Best bang for buck: rek-o-kut low noise phono switch www.decibelhifi.com.au
Got one of these the other day and super happy.

Cheapest: ebay 'rca switch' www.ebay.com - not sure if will work well with phono / ground issues though - this is the best option for line level though, very cheap - there is also a metal case variant which looks sturdier but I'd worry about grounding issues.

There is an american similar equivalent branded model like this for twice as much on amazon - an amazon search for rca switchbox should bring it up.

More serious/expensive options:

magma bags switchbox v2 - djbooth.net same style as Stokyo Selector, harder to find apparently, not as useable with black colour in dark environment, compared to Stokyo. Stokyo seems easier to get and better design.

Allen & Heath Xone PB www.allen-heath.com
Don't really like the rack mount and push buttons - would be hard to fit around an already cramped booth and the buttons don't seem like would be easy to use in a dark club environment. I'm sure it is good quality but it doesn't fit in apart from in a rack mount and even then, too easy to make a mistake with the selector buttons I think and/or too hard to reach them, depending where you'd put the thing. It does look awesome though and would match my Xone 92 design. Wouldn't mind one! You could trust it for phono switching too I'm sure.

Manley Skipjack - super expensive, line level input only, so would need additional phono pre's. Expensive as and rare (out of production) - not worth the hassle unless you are rich as. Not very practical for DJ/booth use. mail.manley.com

Stokyo Selector - a similar option to the magna bags switchbox v2, this one has a third DVS select option. None of these have the three channels required for SL3 though.
www.stokyoworld.com
Fairly nice that it has three options (good for say having some laptops plugged in ready to go for a changeover while still having Audio 8 and SL3 plugged in) but I don't really need it, I think easier to just buy more smaller switches and place them nearby the units you need them for.

Luke LDP-1 www.thomann.de
Doesn't seem really useful for thru sends, although it does have 'line 1 + 2' output, along with outputs on the actual inputs. So maybe the inputs can be used as pass throughs? Looks decent with ability to be rack mounted as well as removing the rack mounts edges.

Now my personal favourite option: Rodec Patch Live
www.rodec.com
However it still only has inputs for 2 turntables and 2 CDJs, so no 3 channel DVS with three turntables or CDJs with SL3.

SUMMARY:
So in the end the best bang for buck seems to be (for 3 channel SL3 usage) three of the Rek-o-kut's. If using CDJs, you can get away with the ASPHO1 ebay ones. I believe there is a two input four output switch also, but I can't remember the specifics. I asked the guy to consider making a three channel a while ago and said they would look into it, so I linked them the Rodec Patch Live info in case helped. Would love a three channel unit still.. but even, may be better having three separate units (cheaper to replace/repair if one fails and if one fails, you can still use the other two) - mostly for space requirements and ability to position near each turntable/CDJ.

One thing I was advised that people should consider is short cables between switchbox and mixer, especially for vinyl thru mode (as long as it is just phono level thru output, not converting to line level like the magna switchbox appears to do) as the length of your turntable RCA cable (the extra cable from the switch being like an extension) affects the impedance of your turntable output - shorter being better. So try to get the switches as close to the mixer as possible to use 50-75cm cables to connect to mixer phono inputs and DVS phono inputs.

I'm thinking of eventually getting a third switch, one of those cheap ebay ones, to be able to select between a CDJ and a laptop input, to avoid someone with a laptop/soundcard/midi controller RCA input having to fiddle behind the mixer, they can just plug in next to the right or left CDJ and push the switch button. When finished just unplug and push the switch back to CDJ setting.