DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Your Thoughts On The New Numark NS72?

|DJSIGMA| 11:54 PM - 21 November, 2013
I just bought the new Numark NS72 and I was kinda bummed out that my Vestax VCI-380 wasn't able to get repaired because of the Vestax Company there is something going on with parts , which my right fader was bleeding out and I couldn't even use it anymore. I mean Vestax is good company I didn't want to get some cheap plastic set & I know sometimes turntables are a hassle when going to gigs but my last resort was to get the NS72 and I'm actually loving the system, for turntablist may think that it's a toy for beginner djs or wanna be djs but hey respect to every dj out there it takes practice and to know what you are doing. I've messed with turntables before but not as much as I should not every dj or the new generation djs don't even have knowledge of where djing all started from so I guess it is good to at least know the fundamentals or the history of djing began but as that being said, what are your thoughts of the NS72 are you disappointed in or are you impressed of the product that numark put out? In my opinion I think it is really a grerat controller even for the new generation to even learn and use, but I personally don't like the sync button but it is a digital controller.
dj_soo 6:32 AM - 22 November, 2013
Vestax has no replacement parts for the 380? That sucks.
|DJSIGMA| 3:43 PM - 22 November, 2013
Quote:
Vestax has no replacement parts for the 380? That sucks.

right now no they don't I so it was my last resort to get a NS72 and I'm probably gonna sell mines I mean it is a good controller but shoot I can't even use it right now. I'm actually happy with the NS72 and I need to get a case and warranty.
djkurve 5:19 PM - 22 November, 2013
Well I'm loving every minute with my NS7 II. Only had it for a few weeks now and I don't miss lugging three separate road cases (two techs + mixer) around! Plus no more worrying about needles, records, etc.. Setup is 90% faster for me. I actually started to mod my NS7 II case. Thus far I have my wireless mic receiver and a power strip underneath the NS7 II. Next step is doing the XLR mod.

instagram.com

vine.co
|DJSIGMA| 8:11 PM - 22 November, 2013
Quote:
Well I'm loving every minute with my NS7 II. Only had it for a few weeks now and I don't miss lugging three separate road cases (two techs + mixer) around! Plus no more worrying about needles, records, etc.. Setup is 90% faster for me. I actually started to mod my NS7 II case. Thus far I have my wireless mic receiver and a power strip underneath the NS7 II. Next step is doing the XLR mod.

instagram.com

vine.co

thanks for the feed back well see it helps out for you , hey what kind of case do you have? I might get an odysse case or which do you recommend? Oh I didn't know you could do mods
DJDaveOtt 1:05 PM - 23 November, 2013
Still waiting to spin on that beast Kurve!
|DJSIGMA| 8:55 PM - 23 November, 2013
Quote:

dude get on it , it is pretty good and amazing
djkurve 10:45 PM - 23 November, 2013
Quote:

Hit me up Monday morning!
DJDaveOtt 2:38 AM - 25 November, 2013
Will do
DjCity 4:24 AM - 30 November, 2013
I was gonna buy one today. Went to guitar center, played with the demo and passed on it for the time being.

I did not like the play buttons at all.
I saw a post somewhere on stato that said you really have to mash the play button hard to get it going or to get it to stop.

He was right! I can't do that in a club or cabaret. I need it to play when I hit play, not stutter then just not play. I need it to stop when I hit the button, not act like I did nothing to touch the pause button.

I had the first ns7 and loved it. When it died, I replaced it with the ns6 that I still have. I still like the ns6 with itch bit I don't like it with serato dj.
I have the pioneer ddj sx too and I like it as well but the faceplate started to buckle.

I'm disappointed in the ns7II.
I'm hoping they can fix the play buttons with a firmware update bit I don't see how.

Oh well, I guesses it will be me and my ddj sx till after winner NAMM
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:46 AM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
When it died, I replaced it with the ns6

Good grief..

What are the life expectancies of these things?
blackavenger 11:54 AM - 30 November, 2013
This sucks, because I don't really like the SX. It's nice, but just not for me. I like the symmetry of Numark controllers, and personally I find their platters to be superior as well.

If the NS7II is to be plagued with issues, I hope they are either developing, or are already close to releasing an NS6 MKII.
blackavenger 9:28 PM - 30 November, 2013
Yeah, I've seen this Play/Cue button issue mentioned lots of places. I wonder if Numark are going to publicly address this, or If it's going to be a quiet little adjustment to the manufacturing process? Either way, I think I'm gonna wait for a couple months....hopefully by then, the first batch of units will get replaced by a new one with this issue resolved.

It's a shame that such a small thing slipped through either R&D or QC. Personally, I'm hoping it's just a QC issue.....one that can be easily remedied.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:39 PM - 30 November, 2013
is the crossfader on the ns7II as stiff as the crossfader on the original ns7?
DjCity 9:45 PM - 30 November, 2013
Loose as hell!
Almost too loose but it could have just been the demo unit being abused.
DjCity 9:50 PM - 30 November, 2013
This is what I emailed to Numark

Hello I don't know if this is the right department but i'm trying to find out about the NS7 II. I have seen online people complaining about the play buttons not working very well. I demoed one at Guitar Center and the problem IS evident. You have to really hit the play button kinda hard to get it to play and sometimes instead of playing, It will start, the almost instantly stop. I had the NS7 and loved it but it developed this same problem. I sent it in for repair but was told that Numark did not have the parts to fix it. I wound up getting the NS6. I'm wondering if this problem with the NS7 II will be acknowledged and addressed. Please let me know. I would LOVE to get the NS7 II but not with this issue unresolved. Thank you.

I'm waiting for their reply.
djkurve 11:15 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
I was gonna buy one today. Went to guitar center, played with the demo and passed on it for the time being.

I saw a post somewhere on stato that said you really have to mash the play button hard to get it going or to get it to stop.

He was right! I can't do that in a club or cabaret. I need it to play when I hit play, not stutter then just not play. I need it to stop when I hit the button, not act like I did nothing to touch the pause button.

I had the first ns7 and loved it. When it died, I replaced it with the ns6 that I still have. I still like the ns6 with itch bit I don't like it with serato dj.
I have the pioneer ddj sx too and I like it as well but the faceplate started to buckle.

I'm hoping they can fix the play buttons with a firmware update bit I don't see how.

Not sure what you mean that your having a hard time with the play buttons. There is only one play button on the NS7 II. There is a cue button above the play button. Whenever I press the play/cue buttons on my NS7 II, they responds immediately. There could be a few reasons why the in-store demo model isn't that responsive.

1.) Check the latency settings on the computer.
2.) Does the computer meet the requirements to run the software?
2.) It's an in-store demo model. (Who knows what type of noobs come into that store and beat the hell outta of it.)
3.) Could be a defective unit.
djkurve 11:16 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:

It's as loose as a goose.

(I had too...)
djkurve 11:18 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
This is what I emailed to Numark

Hello I don't know if this is the right department but i'm trying to find out about the NS7 II. I have seen online people complaining about the play buttons not working very well. I demoed one at Guitar Center and the problem IS evident. You have to really hit the play button kinda hard to get it to play and sometimes instead of playing, It will start, the almost instantly stop. I had the NS7 and loved it but it developed this same problem. I sent it in for repair but was told that Numark did not have the parts to fix it. I wound up getting the NS6. I'm wondering if this problem with the NS7 II will be acknowledged and addressed. Please let me know. I would LOVE to get the NS7 II but not with this issue unresolved. Thank you.

I'm waiting for their reply.

Let me know when they get back to you. If it's a "first batch" issue, then I'll be returning mine for a new one. (Even though I don't have that issue.) Better safe than sorry.
DjCity 12:31 AM - 1 December, 2013
It's a somewhat common issue with numark. The ns series seems to suffer from it.

My ns7 had that problem twice. The first time, it was fixed but the second time, they did not have the parts.

My ns6 went through it too. I sent it in for repair and the just sent me a brand new unit.

If your not having a problem with your unit, Good bless you.

I'm backing away for the time being due to personal experience.

If the new demo unit is having this problem, even with noobs beating the shit out of it, I'm not getting one till this has been acknowledged and addressed!
djkurve 12:35 AM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
It's a somewhat common issue with numark. The ns series seems to suffer from it.

My ns7 had that problem twice. The first time, it was fixed but the second time, they did not have the parts.

My ns6 went through it too. I sent it in for repair and the just sent me a brand new unit.

If your not having a problem with your unit, Good bless you.

I'm backing away for the time being due to personal experience.

If the new demo unit is having this problem, even with noobs beating the shit out of it, I'm not getting one till this has been acknowledged and addressed!

I too had an OG NS7. (Call me Mr. pre-order! haha!) Never had any issues with that as well. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. *shrugs* I got the extended warranty through GC, (like usual) so if any issues arise I'll just return it for a new one. Almost pulled the trigger on a NS6 awhile ago, but I need those moving platters!
Papa Midnight 12:37 AM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:

Your Guitar Center has one? No Guitar Center in a 50 mile radius of me has it yet (that's 4 total Guitar Center's).

Quote:
Quote:
When it died, I replaced it with the ns6

Good grief..

What are the life expectancies of these things?

My NS7 still works fine... wonder went wrong with his.

Quote:

Yours is stiff? I never had an issue...

Am I just lucky or something?
|DJSIGMA| 2:30 AM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:

Well mine works fine with me , nothing wrong with the play button and the pads there made by Akai. They should be sturdy enough to handle that kind of pressure you put into the pads and plus maybe when you demo it there are adjustments for the start of the platter and when it stops
blackavenger 2:36 AM - 4 December, 2013
Will you answer a question for me, Sigma?
Does the NS7II have instant start? Like if you've got a point in the track cued up, and press pause, will it fully start up when you press play, or is there a bit of drag involved?
DjCity 2:46 AM - 4 December, 2013
I can answer that question.

It does but it's not as good as it was with the original NS7 and itch.

Some of these comments amuse me. They don't seem to realize that I owned the original NS7. I know how the buttons are supposed to work. I know how responsive the past button is supposed to be.
Quite simply, it's not as responsive as it should be.

The pads are great! The play button should be as responsive as the pads but they are not.

Anyone care to argue that play is as responsive as the pads are?
DjCity 2:51 AM - 4 December, 2013
Oh.
I also own the NS6 and the play button on that is also more responsive than it is on the NS7 II.

You should not have to apply a significant amount of pressure to get it to play.

Pioneer, other Numark products, Vestax, Reloop...

All of them have very responsive play buttons but the Numark NS7 II had an issue with this.
|DJSIGMA| 5:44 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Will you answer a question for me, Sigma?
Does the NS7II have instant start? Like if you've got a point in the track cued up, and press pause, will it fully start up when you press play, or is there a bit of drag involved?

I haven't messed with my NS72 for awhile cause I been busy but I can check to see if it does
|DJSIGMA| 5:47 PM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Oh.
I also own the NS6 and the play button on that is also more responsive than it is on the NS7 II.

You should not have to apply a significant amount of pressure to get it to play.

Pioneer, other Numark products, Vestax, Reloop...

All of them have very responsive play buttons but the Numark NS7 II had an issue with this.

you know you can adjust the start time and break time that is probably why you aren't getting a good response on the NS72 if you demo it at a Guitar Center some noobs don't know what they are doing. I got it for reason because it is a all in one system not a hassle to carry like turntables are but maybe some people have defects NS72 cause it is always the first batch of NS72 they would not function correctly or I probably just got lucky with getting a good NS72.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:01 PM - 4 December, 2013
I had a chance to play with the NS72 at a radio gig i did a week ago and i gotta admit it was pretty f'n sweet. I didnt notice the start button issue but i wasnt looking for it either
DjCity 6:13 PM - 4 December, 2013
Believe me. It's not the start time knob or the stop time knob.

I hit play as I normally would and the platter stuttered instead of playing.
Hit it again and it stuttered again.
Hit it a 3rd time harder and held pressure and it played.

I will test another one when I get a chance but that issue concerned me because I've had that issue in the past with my NS7.

I'm not getting the first run of the NS7 II.
|DJSIGMA| 4:28 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Believe me. It's not the start time knob or the stop time knob.

I hit play as I normally would and the platter stuttered instead of playing.
Hit it again and it stuttered again.
Hit it a 3rd time harder and held pressure and it played.

I will test another one when I get a chance but that issue concerned me because I've had that issue in the past with my NS7.

I'm not getting the first run of the NS7 II.

Nothing wrong with my NS72 I'm not getting those stutters I'm getting a good response with the platters I just tried it nothing wrong.
blackavenger 11:37 AM - 5 December, 2013
Have any of Y'all NS7II owners hooked anything up to the inputs to see if the filters will work on them or not? I have been trying to get a definitive answer from either Serato, Numark, or DJWorx, and no one has answered yet.

On other words, are those analog filters when SeratoDJ is not running?
djkurve 12:26 PM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Have any of Y'all NS7II owners hooked anything up to the inputs to see if the filters will work on them or not? I have been trying to get a definitive answer from either Serato, Numark, or DJWorx, and no one has answered yet.

On other words, are those analog filters when SeratoDJ is not running?

The filters are codependent of the software. I tired it last week and got nothing. Numark dropped the ball AGAIN!
djkurve 12:29 PM - 5 December, 2013
Oh and all you people that are having problems/issues with your NS7II, could you post some videos?
blackavenger 12:43 PM - 5 December, 2013
Damn...yeah, they really did drop the ball.
blackavenger 12:49 PM - 5 December, 2013
Guess they need something for an MKIII version.
DJ Tino C 12:32 AM - 15 February, 2014
Here is my take on it. I just got my hands on one today at Guitar Center. I loved it! As far as the problems, I can't say, everything responded fine. My only complaint was those loose cross and volume faders...as far as dropping the ball on inputs etc, I believe this is all done on purpose for a few reasons. First to keep us drooling for the next upgrade, second because it was meant just to function as a controller with a few options. I think most DJs are more creative than the R&D guys, and lastly to keep the market competitive and keep gear whores spending money. If one item offers something that another does not, then bam, guess what? Somebody has an excuse to buy 2 controllers now. This is technology, nothing more. Its like buying a computer, once you get home with it, you already see a something new online due out in 6 months.
Papa Midnight 3:13 AM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
My only complaint was those loose cross and volume faders.

...In my experience, chalk this one up to a battered and beaten store floor demo model.
blackavenger 3:31 AM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

...In my experience, chalk this one up to a battered and beaten store floor demo model.

Personally I prefer Numark's loose channel faders to Pioneer's stiff channel faders. In fact, I rejoiced when I found out that Audio Innovate is selling the mini-Innofader on the retail level. I will be buying at least 4 of those things for the SZ. It remains to be seen as to whether the crossfader will be inferior/superior to the mini-Innofader, so I'll hold off on that at first. But screw all that tension in the channel faders. That shizz sucks! Numark's channel faders blow Pio's away.
Papa Midnight 5:00 AM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Personally I prefer Numark's loose channel faders to Pioneer's stiff channel faders. In fact, I rejoiced when I found out that Audio Innovate is selling the mini-Innofader on the retail level. I will be buying at least 4 of those things for the SZ. It remains to be seen as to whether the crossfader will be inferior/superior to the mini-Innofader, so I'll hold off on that at first. But screw all that tension in the channel faders. That shizz sucks! Numark's channel faders blow Pio's away.

I know what you mean and I agree. However, last I tried a floor model NS7 in Guitar Center (I don't even bother going anymore. It took them months to finally stock the NS7II in store, and 2 months later they still hadn't connected it for demoing), the faders (for which ones the caps were there), were beyond decimated.
DJ Tino C 1:04 AM - 17 February, 2014
Wow! Good to know! Thanks guys.
|DJSIGMA| 4:59 AM - 16 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I tried the DDJ SX yup there were hella stiff smh
westell54 11:19 PM - 16 March, 2014
djKurve,

Can you tell me if you have the original NS7 case or is it a newer model. I'm having trouble finding an NS7 case that fits the NS7ii without blocking the front mic port and the 1/8" headphone jack on the front of the unit.
Mr. Goodkat 12:15 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJM 900 srt are the only faders iver ever liked on pio. thats always been an issue with PIO mixers. THey will eventually loosen, but it takes a second or a lot of play.
blackavenger 2:53 AM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:
DJM 900 srt are the only faders iver ever liked on pio.

So the SRT's faders are looser than a typical DJM mixer?
WarpNote 5:43 AM - 18 March, 2014
The SRT has magnetic faders, the crossfader has a nice feel to it. Not as loose as a Rane crossfader, but still very nice. The SRT magnetic linefaders are stiffer, but still feel somewhat looser than your regular DJM900NXS.

The SRT line faders does not have that nice loose feel as the 68/62/57 IMO.
That said, I think they are an improvement over the regular 900 mixer.
blackavenger 2:29 PM - 18 March, 2014
^ Thanks ^
Mr. Goodkat 5:55 PM - 18 March, 2014
what warp note said. these are about halfway between rane and 800/900(that arent srt) upfaders, which is a huge improvement over their past upfaders.
DJ CUTLOOSE 5:01 PM - 10 August, 2014
I've been on sl1210's and 1210's for the last 25 years, a good 8 with Scratch Live. Due to clubs and radio stations not having them I've had to carry a heavy coffin around.... Been a killer and know some of you know all about it too. Enough of that lol
3 weeks ago, I got the SX, I can cut and mix on it, but hated it, took the fun out of the whole game...
Plus I found sound quality lacking compared to real decks scratch live. Plus little things like loop activate was poor, lots of other things too.
Yesterday I got the NS7 2........ Game changing for me, a rich sound where I can clearly hear 2 tracks clearly in the mix, unlike the sx where it's all mashed together... The use of the pads is amazing, where it doubles up on each section.... The pads are sharp too and multicoloured so you know where your at.... Touch capacitive knobs..... Filter roll.... And of course the main ingredient that is spinning vinyl. Portable and everything you need to live remix tracks, even tho its heavier the rest, it's still a fraction of the full coffin. The pressure needed to hit play is easy to master, and just like my sl1210's I leave them spinning thu the entire set, don't get why you would want to stop them? Faders are loose, all of them, cue buttons are one press(I love that), separate mic with bass and treble, I don't use sync, and I quantize just puts latency on your cues (but wouldn't use it anyway)...
Great for beat juggling, mixing, scratching, remixing on the fly.... I never thought I'd say this but after 25 years on sl1210's I will leave them in the studio to remind me of where it all began!