DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Jack and Jill Party.

young1 9:14 PM - 18 November, 2013
Has anyone done a Jack and Jill Party? I'm just trying to get an ideal on what type of music to play. I was told that kids will be there to. I just found out that it is a Jack and Jill Christmas Party.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:26 AM - 19 November, 2013
what the hell is a jack and jill party?
DJ Reflex 4:49 AM - 19 November, 2013
Isn't that where they they run up the hill... to fetch a pail of water?
Dj Shamann 5:39 AM - 19 November, 2013
Jack & Jills aka Stag & Doe parties are the pre-wedding party, it's a combination of the bachelor/bachelorette parties.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:58 AM - 19 November, 2013
gotcha... first time ive ever heard of that.
RobDJ dotcom 8:20 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Jack & Jills aka Stag & Doe parties are the pre-wedding party, it's a combination of the bachelor/bachelorette parties.

A combined bachelor AND bachelorette party WITH kids?!?!?!?! (dry heave)

Just play Barbra Streisand all night to keep the music as lame as the concept of the party.

I'm not talking Duck Sauce either.
phonze 8:26 PM - 19 November, 2013
It's kind of like a fundraiser of sorts. There's games, door prizes, drink tickets, stuff like that. I did one, it's pretty lame. Never again.
RobDJ dotcom 8:30 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
It's kind of like a fundraiser of sorts. There's games, door prizes, drink tickets, stuff like that. I did one, it's pretty lame. Never again.

And this qualifies in some deep disturbing way as a bachelor party?
phonze 8:36 PM - 19 November, 2013
Oh, it's definitely not a bachelor party. At least not the ones I've been to.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:12 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Lmfao!!
Dj Shamann 10:12 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
A combined bachelor AND bachelorette party WITH kids?!?!?!?! (dry heave)

Jack & Jills are usually pretty fun, although this J&J/X-Mas party WITH kids doesn't sound much like a J&J at all.

Quote:

It's a bachelor party without the strippers, but it's better than a bachelor party because you're not stuck in a room with a bunch of horny dudes and no action other than the feature.

Bachelorette parties rarely are a DJ hired event, so next best thing is a Jack & Jill because you've got all these drunken women all excited about their "bestie" getting married. You can also make some decent money without the annoyances of a real wedding.

Still Jack & Jill/Christmas with kids sounds more like a family get together scheduled to save money and will probably be boring as hell.
DJ GOOK 11:57 PM - 19 November, 2013
I learned something new today
young1 2:10 AM - 20 November, 2013
Quote:
Oh, it's definitely not a bachelor party. At least not the ones I've been to.

Well, I let you guys know what a Jack & Jill party is when I do the gig on the 14th. Now trying to decide on songs.
RobDJ dotcom 2:08 PM - 20 November, 2013
Quote:
Now trying to decide on songs.

Wear that t-shirt with bride and groom stick figures that says "game over".

Play "Game Over", "Another One Bites the Dust", and "Still a B!tch in my Book" (Lil Troy if memory serves).
young1 7:49 PM - 20 November, 2013
Well guys I found out what a Jack and Jill is. No bachelor or bachelorett party, it's a party for teenagers that Jack and Jill does every year(jackandjillinc.org/).

I'm glad there is a thing called google to find info on this.
DJ VEE 3:11 AM - 21 November, 2013
Now I'm confused... I know of Stag n Doe parties, (sometimes called Jack & Jills). It's a newer idea where yes, it is a combined party instead of a separate bachelor and bachelorette party and they have become more of a fund raiser.
They can be fun to do because it really is just a big party. Kids are not usually there though. You kind of watch the raunchy stuff early on while the older people are there early. After that, it's just a big party. You don't usually have to be careful with edited versions like at the wedding. Everyone is there to have a bunch of drinks and have a good time.
The problem usually is that they tend to have a lot of door prizes which they do not get I give away early on. As the night goes on, they realize they need to give the prizes away and you have to stop as soon as you got the crowd going and the dance floor full.
Most of the time you are now depending on people who are now drunk, or well on their way there to organize things. The bride and groom ( to be ), usually end up arguing by the end of the night, (should have just had the bachelor party with strippers at that point).
Overall, they are not bad to do, but it can sometimes be hard to keep a good flow going because you have to constantly stop for the stupid games.
Question is, what part of Canada are you in? What you describe sounds like a Straight up Christmas party, which is completely different that a Stag n Doe (Jack & Jill).
DJ VEE 3:13 AM - 21 November, 2013
People in Ontario used to have bachelor (Stag) parties back in the day when men were men and women were glad of it. Lol!
young1 3:51 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
Now I'm confused... I know of Stag n Doe parties, (sometimes called Jack & Jills). It's a newer idea where yes, it is a combined party instead of a separate bachelor and bachelorette party and they have become more of a fund raiser.

They can be fun to do because it really is just a big party. Kids are not usually there though. You kind of watch the raunchy stuff early on while the older people are there early. After that, it's just a big party. You don't usually have to be careful with edited versions like at the wedding. Everyone is there to have a bunch of drinks and have a good time.

The problem usually is that they tend to have a lot of door prizes which they do not get I give away early on. As the night goes on, they realize they need to give the prizes away and you have to stop as soon as you got the crowd going and the dance floor full.

Most of the time you are now depending on people who are now drunk, or well on their way there to organize things. The bride and groom ( to be ), usually end up arguing by the end of the night, (should have just had the bachelor party with strippers at that point).

Overall, they are not bad to do, but it can sometimes be hard to keep a good flow going because you have to constantly stop for the stupid games.

Question is, what part of Canada are you in? What you describe sounds like a Straight up Christmas party, which is completely different that a Stag n Doe (Jack & Jill).

At first I thought it was a bachelor and bachelorette party, but I found out today it was for the Jack and Jill organization(jackandjillinc.org). When I got the notice, all they told me it was a Jack and Jill party, and what they are going to pay. And no I don't live in Canada, I live right outside of D.C.
DJ VEE 4:03 AM - 21 November, 2013
Oh, OK. That explains the confusion then. As far as I knew (which ain't much), that is strictly a Canadian thing. In Ontario anyway. Not sure about the rest of Canada, (big place).
DJ VEE 4:11 AM - 21 November, 2013
My business partner/life long friend lives in Ontario and I'm in Detroit . He made us up some business cards once and put on them "Stag n Doe" parties. I had my doubts about passing them out on the US side and they were confirmed when people gave me the funniest looks and asked "what the hell is a Stag n Doe"? I think I only passed out 2-3 cards and the rest of that box of 1000 are still gathering dust on a shelf in the basement somewhere.
Club Ample 9:10 PM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
Has anyone done a Jack and Jill Party? I'm just trying to get an ideal on what type of music to play. I was told that kids will be there to. I just found out that it is a Jack and Jill Christmas Party.

I did the exact same kind of party a few months ago...youre going to want to stick to tried and true wedding type dance music...some RnB, every line dance you can think of...some pop uptempo like Katy Perry...Rihanna we found love...etc etc... then throw in your kid friendly tracks like Demi Lovato.. One Direction...and the super lame Cotton Eyed Joe, What does the fox say etc. Make sure you have 100% clean versions.