DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Connecting powered sub + speakers: how to ??

Newuser21 8:52 AM - 13 November, 2013
Okay so, plain and simple. I have an 18 inch active woofer and 2 15 inch active tops. I only have XLR cables, no rca, and I need to know the correct/safest way to connect them all via XLR. My mixer, DDJ SX,has two PA XLR inputs or males I ishould say, each speaker has one male and one female XLR slots. Should I use both of my mixer's inputs for my 2 speakers, then go to one of my speaker's remaining input to the output oon my sub to power my sub ? Or should I go from the output on the sub straight to the input on the mixer, then have just one speaker connect to the 2nd input on my mixer, and the other speaker connect from its OUT to the IN on the speaker that's going into the in on my mixer.. damn made it sound confusing but I hope someone can pick that up and help me..lol
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:27 PM - 13 November, 2013
What kind of speakers do you have?
From what you described I would go XLR L and XLR R out to your tops L and R, then From the outputs of your tops L and R go into your sub.
RobDJ dotcom 2:33 PM - 13 November, 2013
Not familiar with that mixer but I'm 100% sure you wanna go from the XLR OUTPUTS (key word being OUT) on the mixer to the INPUTS on the tops. Then kinda like CQE said, from the OUTPUT of either of the tops to the INPUT on your sub. It doesn't matter which top OUTPUT you use. That depends on speaker placement.
Newuser21 2:47 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Not familiar with that mixer but I'm 100% sure you wanna go from the XLR OUTPUTS (key word being OUT) on the mixer to the INPUTS on the tops. Then kinda like CQE said, from the OUTPUT of either of the tops to the INPUT on your sub. It doesn't matter which top OUTPUT you use. That depends on speaker placement.

Thanks to both of you .. but aghh shaking my head, I think I have a different mentality of what is output and input. When I say input I mean the kind where there are pins sticking OUT, so when I say INPUT I mean where there would be a FEMALE XLR going INTO the INPUT, god this is confusing to me lol.. but OUTPUT to me means where there AREN'T pins but holes, where a MALE would connect, is that what you guys mean too ?
Also, @ ROB my mixer has a section that says MASTER OUT with two XLR spots with PINS sticking out where a female xlr cable would plug into it.. is that what you guys are talking about
Newuser21 3:03 PM - 13 November, 2013
After looking up some images of XLR input/ output I see now I had it backwards. When I said input I meant output, and vice versa. Ok thanks guys I understand now, but my remaining question is what's wrong with the way I had it in the second scenario? Won't it work just fine:

Saying it properly this time:
Speaker 1 to OUTPUT on mixer via xlr
Speaker 1's OUTPUT to INPUT on speaker 2, powering speaker 2
SUB goes STRAIGHT to the mixer from its INPUT to the output on the mixer.
Is there anything wrong with that ?
Do I HAVE to put both speaker to the mixer, then power the sub with a speaker ?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:11 PM - 13 November, 2013
Yes I would work but that's not the best way to set it up.

Some music is split into L and R channels. A good example of this would be Michael Jackson, the way you make feel. In the beginning with the drum beats they switch from left to right. So if you only use one output to go to your tops, you will be missing that other section from your speakers.

Subs is OK to run off only 1 output but your tops should never be.

Do what me and RobDJ said.
Newuser21 3:13 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Yes I would work but that's not the best way to set it up.

Some music is split into L and R channels. A good example of this would be Michael Jackson, the way you make feel. In the beginning with the drum beats they switch from left to right. So if you only use one output to go to your tops, you will be missing that other section from your speakers.

Subs is OK to run off only 1 output but your tops should never be.

Do what me and RobDJ said.

Wooooow I had no idea it worked like that :O i thought u got full range of the sound through just one OUT, but you only get half ? So would you only notice it in songs that have that panning affecet? just trying to learn here now lol
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:16 PM - 13 November, 2013
For the most part yes...most music won't be impacted by this and you can certainly get away with running only 1 output, but why take a chance when you can just do it right the first time?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:16 PM - 13 November, 2013
what speakers do you have??
Newuser21 3:17 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
what speakers do you have??

I see, I have RCF 15 inches,, ART series 3
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:18 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
For the most part yes...most music won't be impacted by this and you can certainly get away with running only 1 output, but why take a chance when you can just do it right the first time?

Just to clarify, its not that you get half, you get full, but if something was specifically produced that had a pan effect, you will lose that.

Picture your home theatre surround sound system. If your movie has a plane flying from left to right, you hear it move through the speakers as left to right. Now if you plugged the right speaker into the left output you wouldn't get that effect.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:18 PM - 13 November, 2013
Sub is RCF sub715?
Newuser21 3:19 PM - 13 November, 2013
Nono it is a yorkville 18 inch
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:21 PM - 13 November, 2013
Oh OK.

Depending on which version of the RCF, if there is a boost button or flat button, make sure you are always on flat or vocal when running your sub. Don't select the boost feature.
Newuser21 3:22 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Oh OK.

Depending on which version of the RCF, if there is a boost button or flat button, make sure you are always on flat or vocal when running your sub. Don't select the boost feature.

Oh right! I already had that in mind as a good idea so I don't get too top heavy or havemy tops trying to reproduce the monster's bass.. thanks a lot : )
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:24 PM - 13 November, 2013
Exactly.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:25 PM - 13 November, 2013
what you can do also if you like.

Buy a 1/4" to XLR adaptor, you can plug your sub into your booth output and use your master for your tops. This way you can an individual control for your sub and you can turn that up and down as needed.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:26 PM - 13 November, 2013
with one of these...and you will control your sub with your booth output.
www.ebay.com
Newuser21 3:30 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
with one of these...and you will control your sub with your booth output.
www.ebay.com

That's an excellent idea... If I did that, and I put both booth and master out dials at the same point, would the mixer itself be giving out the same number of DB's on both the booth and master out ?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:45 PM - 13 November, 2013
The dials don't matter where you put them, you would have to adjust it based on your volume settings. If it's too bass heavy, turn down your booth, not enough bass, turn it up a little. That's more of a trial and error than saying keep them at the same level.

As long as you are keeping your signal clean (no red on your line meters and no red on your master meter, no clip lights blinking on your speakers) you will be fine with adjusting as you need
Ulrich von Hurtem 4:13 PM - 13 November, 2013
Your powered sub, likely has a low pass filter, but it's still important to high pass the tops.

You need an active crossover. I use and recommend a pre-owned Rane AC22B.

A crossover will: low pas the sub, high pass the tops, mono the sub signal, and give mad extra headroom in your amps, and loudspeakers.

Don't just Y two outputs to one input, to get mono for the sub. www.rane.com I use the circuit here, in my mixers effects loop, to mono the whole system.

Hooking up sound systems: www.rane.com

As for setting levels: www.rane.com
Newuser21 4:18 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Your powered sub, likely has a low pass filter, but it's still important to high pass the tops.

You need an active crossover. I use and recommend a pre-owned Rane AC22B.

A crossover will: low pas the sub, high pass the tops, mono the sub signal, and give mad extra headroom in your amps, and loudspeakers.

Don't just Y two outputs to one input, to get mono for the sub. www.rane.com I use the circuit here, in my mixers effects loop, to mono the whole system.

Hooking up sound systems: www.rane.com

As for setting levels: www.rane.com

Thanks.. bbutu that's expensive.. would it really make a noticeable difference ? Because I don't have a crossover now and it sounds just fine
Ulrich von Hurtem 4:45 PM - 13 November, 2013
Without an active crossover, your top amp is working hard to produce frequencies, that your tops can't reproduce. An active X-over will free up around 40% more amp power. By not asking your tops to produce frequencies, you don't want or need them to make, you free up cone excursion for the sounds your tops are good at.

You should be able to get a Rane AC22 for around $150. Well worth it.
Newuser21 4:52 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Without an active crossover, your top amp is working hard to produce frequencies, that your tops can't reproduce. An active X-over will free up around 40% more amp power. By not asking your tops to produce frequencies, you don't want or need them to make, you free up cone excursion for the sounds your tops are good at.

You should be able to get a Rane AC22 for around $150. Well worth it.

If I can find one for that price I'll take it as soon as possible, but how dangerous is it ? Is it going to blow my tops to play around with the setup until i get a crossover ????
Newuser21 5:00 PM - 13 November, 2013
Another question, how would that work? my speakers and sub go into the crossover right ? I don't see any xlr ins or outs on the crossover and I only have xlr's :O
Ulrich von Hurtem 5:32 PM - 13 November, 2013
Dangerous? Same as always. Listen for signs of distress, and turn down, if your speakers are complaining. With the X-over, you'll be able to go a lot louder, before the speakers cry mercy.

Mixer out to x-over in, x-over low out to sub amp (which, in the case of powered speakers, is in the speaker), X-over high out to top amp.
RobDJ dotcom 9:25 PM - 13 November, 2013
I think what we need here is a good foundation.
1. XLR's are male or female regardless of being on the end of a cable or back of a component, ie a mixer or amp. An XLR with posts in it, commonly three of them, is a male. And one with holes is a female. I'm sure you can throw that scenario together in your head (begin misquote now).
2. On a component, ie mixer or amp, "inputs" and "outputs" are exactly what they sound like. An "output", like the one you're describing on the back of your mixer, is a port where a signal, in this case the music being played, is actually being output. That signal is meant to go somewhere else. An "input", like the ones on your tops, is a port where a signal, in this case the output signal from your mixer, is meant to be input. The component that has the "input" takes the signal coming in and does something with it. Your tops do two things with the incoming signal. One is push sound out of the speakers. Two is pass that signal along to their own "outputs" so that the signal can then be used by another component. Two outputs connected together will accomplish nothing. It is the same as two people with no ears talking to each other. Both are talking but no one is listening. No conversation there. Outputs go to inputs. Then your components are talking.
3. A male XLR plug on a component is not necessarily an input or an output. It's just a male XLR plug. Same goes for female. The XLR plugs are labeled as inputs or outputs. This label means everything. The gender of the plug only decides what type of cables you need to connect outputs to inputs. Nothing else.

Read this and understand it so that you start knowing how to hook things up in general. Don't ONLY figure out that tab A goes in slot B on what you're working with at the moment or you'll be an amateur forever.

Bring on the misquotes.
RobDJ dotcom 9:28 PM - 13 November, 2013
Oh $hit, looks like this convo expanded a lot while I wasn't paying attention.
Newuser21 9:22 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
I think what we need here is a good foundation.
1. XLR's are male or female regardless of being on the end of a cable or back of a component, ie a mixer or amp. An XLR with posts in it, commonly three of them, is a male. And one with holes is a female. I'm sure you can throw that scenario together in your head (begin misquote now).
2. On a component, ie mixer or amp, "inputs" and "outputs" are exactly what they sound like. An "output", like the one you're describing on the back of your mixer, is a port where a signal, in this case the music being played, is actually being output. That signal is meant to go somewhere else. An "input", like the ones on your tops, is a port where a signal, in this case the output signal from your mixer, is meant to be input. The component that has the "input" takes the signal coming in and does something with it. Your tops do two things with the incoming signal. One is push sound out of the speakers. Two is pass that signal along to their own "outputs" so that the signal can then be used by another component. Two outputs connected together will accomplish nothing. It is the same as two people with no ears talking to each other. Both are talking but no one is listening. No conversation there. Outputs go to inputs. Then your components are talking.
3. A male XLR plug on a component is not necessarily an input or an output. It's just a male XLR plug. Same goes for female. The XLR plugs are labeled as inputs or outputs. This label means everything. The gender of the plug only decides what type of cables you need to connect outputs to inputs. Nothing else.

Read this and understand it so that you start knowing how to hook things up in general. Don't ONLY figure out that tab A goes in slot B on what you're working with at the moment or you'll be an amateur forever.

Bring on the misquotes.

THANK YOU very much! I love when you guys like to help out a young cat. Soooo basically, you always wanna follow an order of makming sure whatever is about to be connected, be connected through its INPUT, NOT its output, and whatever is powering that new item be it a sub or speaker, go from THAT item's OUTPUT, or you will get no sound. Actually, I noticed that earlier when I tried going from one of my speaker's input to the output on my sub to power it and it didn't work, and now I know why !
Newuser21 9:34 AM - 14 November, 2013
So my brain just popped another question. Following this output to input rule, I found that my method I had in mind for connection actually follows those rules perfectly.
2 speakers
1 sub

Mixer OUT to Speaker 1 IN
Speaker 1 OUT to Speaker 2 IN
Speaker 2 OUT to Subwoofer IN
It works perfectly, but you guys still suggested it to be the incorrect way of doing things. Is this simply still because I'm not connected both of my tops to the OUTS on the mixer specifically, thus not getting full sound with audio that has panning affects and of the like? How exactly does that play hand in hand with the Input/Output rule ?
Newuser21 9:42 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
So my brain just popped another question. Following this output to input rule, I found that my method I had in mind for connection actually follows those rules perfectly.
2 speakers
1 sub

It works perfectly, but you guys still suggested it to be the incorrect way of doing things. Is this simply still because I'm not connected both of my tops to the OUTS on the mixer specifically, thus not getting full sound with audio that has panning affects and of the like? How exactly does that play hand in hand with the Input/Output rule ?

Correction: I actually had in mind instead of Speaker 2 out to subwoofer in, I was gonna go from the Mixer's 2nd OUT to the woofer's IN, but my question hasn't changed still lol
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:14 PM - 14 November, 2013
yes it will work, but its not the best way to set it up.

Why would you want to set something up a certain way if there is a better way available??
RobDJ dotcom 2:14 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:

Okay. Looks like we've got that part nailed. Time to move on. The answer to this new question begins with another question- Stereo or Mono.

Step 1: definitions
Stereo sound= the speaker(s) on the left work independently of the dpeaker(s) on the right. Therefore if the song that's playing has an instrument or vocal or something like that ONLY on the left or ONLY on the right then the sound for that instrument or vocal will ONLY come from the left speaker(s) or ONLY the right speaker(s).
Mono sound= ALL instruments, vocals, etc come through ALL speakers. Left AND right. Regardless of how the song playing is formatted. NO left and right separation.

At this point it will be important to check your mixer for a stereo/mono switch. I haven't gotten into SSL setup in a while but I'm pretty sure there's a stereo/mono option in there too. An important principal to remember is that if ANY ONE stereo/mono switch or setting is on mono then EVERYTHING IS MONO. Regardless if 99 out of 100 settings are stereo if even just 1 in 100 is mono then EVERYTHING is mono.

Mono is not bad. I run everything mono. It's easier to hook up that way and "safer" in certain circumstances. I do lose what I consider 1% of sound quality that only an audiophile is going to notice. And I can't do neat left right DJ tricks. But I'm playing weddings and parties where no one gives a $hit if my sound is stereo or mono and I know 1,000 neat DJ tricks I can do in mono.

The cabling scenario I quoted above is mono. To get stereo you'd need to run one top off of each output on your mixer. Then run the sub off of either top. Don't think I've seen too many bass lines with stereo separation.
the_black_one 7:44 PM - 14 November, 2013
not a big fan of controlling subs or tops with booth outputs ..... there are very good crossovers and sound processors out there .... USE THEM!!!

NM NH
Taipanic 8:18 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
2 speakers
1 sub

New user or not, I still find it hard to believe that someone who wants to DJ doesn't understand what stereo is...

If you have the Yorkville LS800p or LS801p they do not have a built in cross over to send a high pass signal to the tops. What I do is send the XLR mains to each top speaker, then get a pair of RCA-XLR Male cables to run from the tape out (or record out) on the mixer to the subs. Set the volume & crossover level on the sub to match the output of the top end speakers. I agree with what others have stated, that it is best if you have a crossover to cut the low frequencies to the top speakers.
Johnnynights 4:55 AM - 15 November, 2013
Does mono really sound better with subs since i always run on stereo?

I use 2 powered speakers and 2 powered subs.

I always go from mixer out to subs then tops,or is it better going from mixer out to tops then subs?

Thanks.
the_black_one 5:15 AM - 15 November, 2013
telling you ..... use a crossover

NM NH
Newuser21 5:48 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Okay. Looks like we've got that part nailed. Time to move on. The answer to this new question begins with another question- Stereo or Mono.

Step 1: definitions
Stereo sound= the speaker(s) on the left work independently of the dpeaker(s) on the right. Therefore if the song that's playing has an instrument or vocal or something like that ONLY on the left or ONLY on the right then the sound for that instrument or vocal will ONLY come from the left speaker(s) or ONLY the right speaker(s).
Mono sound= ALL instruments, vocals, etc come through ALL speakers. Left AND right. Regardless of how the song playing is formatted. NO left and right separation.

At this point it will be important to check your mixer for a stereo/mono switch. I haven't gotten into SSL setup in a while but I'm pretty sure there's a stereo/mono option in there too. An important principal to remember is that if ANY ONE stereo/mono switch or setting is on mono then EVERYTHING IS MONO. Regardless if 99 out of 100 settings are stereo if even just 1 in 100 is mono then EVERYTHING is mono.

Mono is not bad. I run everything mono. It's easier to hook up that way and "safer" in certain circumstances. I do lose what I consider 1% of sound quality that only an audiophile is going to notice. And I can't do neat left right DJ tricks. But I'm playing weddings and parties where no one gives a $hit if my sound is stereo or mono and I know 1,000 neat DJ tricks I can do in mono.

The cabling scenario I quoted above is mono. To get stereo you'd need to run one top off of each output on your mixer. Then run the sub off of either top. Don't think I've seen too many bass lines with stereo separation.

I understand. What I'm not sure about is what if I had my cables set up in the split stereo way I had mentioned , but my switches were on mono ??
Newuser21 5:56 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
2 speakers
1 sub

New user or not, I still find it hard to believe that someone who wants to DJ doesn't understand what stereo is...

If you have the Yorkville LS800p or LS801p they do not have a built in cross over to send a high pass signal to the tops. What I do is send the XLR mains to each top speaker, then get a pair of RCA-XLR Male cables to run from the tape out (or record out) on the mixer to the subs. Set the volume & crossover level on the sub to match the output of the top end speakers. I agree with what others have stated, that it is best if you have a crossover to cut the low frequencies to the top speakers.

Hey tai panic, thanks for the input. Unfortunately I wasn't born with immediate extensive knowledge in audio nor did it spontaneously spawn in me when I first realized I wanted to become a dj. I was however born with a massive love for music and sharing it, without a doubt. Now, regarding your methods for connecting your equipment when you say set the crossover level on the sub to match that if the tops, but I thought in that particular scenario we ha imagined I didn't have a crossover and my sub doesn't have one built in nor do my tops. Do you mean the low pass filter on my Sub ?
Newuser21 5:58 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:

NM NH

My question about the crossover is can I use xlrs with into the x over and also how many outs do they typically have as in how many tops / subs could I run using one ?
the_black_one 6:16 AM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NM NH

My question about the crossover is can I use xlrs with into the x over and also how many outs do they typically have as in how many tops / subs could I run using one ?

look around .... there are 2 way and 3 way crossovers ... and yes XLRs are there

NM NH
RobDJ dotcom 2:36 PM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
Regardless if 99 out of 100 settings are stereo if even just 1 in 100 is mono then EVERYTHING is mono.

I understand. What I'm not sure about is what if I had my cables set up in the split stereo way I had mentioned , but my switches were on mono ??

If the system is wired stereo, but any one setting is mono, then the sound coming out of the system is mono. I THINK I see what's prompting the question. And, IF I'm right, I do that. Wiring the system in stereo for the sake of wire quantity or wire routing, while running the system mono is something I do regularly.
RobDJ dotcom 3:14 PM - 15 November, 2013
On the crossover topic:
We've covered that your tops have inputs AND outputs. Do they have any filters or other controls built in that effect the output port? Such as knobs or buttons for stuff like passes or cuts?
Taipanic 3:49 PM - 15 November, 2013
Quote:
Do you mean the low pass filter on my Sub ?

Yes.

If you going to connect your speakers as you stated above (speaker a<->speaker b<->Subwoofer) than you would have to run the signal as Mono. If you run it as stereo and only are using one channel, you will not be playing part of the music that is only being broadcast on the opposite (unused) channel. I generally run my systems in stereo as it sounds better - unless the L&R speakers are so far apart that the audience is not able to hear the second speaker for the stereo effect. If you do have the 800/801 series sub, I listed above how I would set up the system. Most other subs have a built in crossover, that you can run both stereo channels to the sub, and it will send the high pass to the tops, but the Yorkvilles do not have that feature. For most gigs, I run both channels from my record out on the mixer (rca-xlr male) to a single sub and run the main XLR outputs to my tops. Both of the mixer outputs are controlled by the Master volume. I set the sub output level on the back of the sub before playing and can make adjustments later as needed.
DJ VEE 4:57 PM - 29 November, 2013
Might be kind of late here, but it seems like the OP was not understanding that the outputs on his mixer are Left and Right. Using only one of them would give him only Left or Right.
Seems like that's where some of his confusion was.
DJ Remy USA 5:22 PM - 29 November, 2013
Quote:
From what you described I would go XLR L and XLR R out to your tops L and R, then From the outputs of your tops L and R go into your sub.

I would do the opposite if your sub has a crossover built which majority do now a days. I would go into the sub first then run from the subs output to your tops. You want to use the sub to drive the Tops. If your sub has a crossover and limiter its actually safer to go this route. Correct me if Im wrong someone dont want to steer this guy in the wrong direction.
DJ Remy USA 5:26 PM - 29 November, 2013
Quote:
Does mono really sound better with subs since i always run on stereo?

I use 2 powered speakers and 2 powered subs.

I always go from mixer out to subs then tops,or is it better going from mixer out to tops then subs?

Thanks.

Ive always done it this way too but everyone here is saying run into the Tops then out to the subs but maybe because I always have used subs that have crossovers buitl in :/
DJ VEE 5:33 PM - 29 November, 2013
My subs have built in X-over at 100Hz, so I have always went from mixer to sub then tops. If you go to the tops first, you will be sending full range to the tops and the subs. Your tops will be trying to reproduce frequencies below 100Hz and your subs will also be trying to reproduce subs above 100Hz unless the tops have a X-over...
Or, am I having a blond moment here?
DJ VEE 5:34 PM - 29 November, 2013
I believe it was posted earlier that the OP's Yorkville sub does not have a X-over, which changes the game a little bit.
the_black_one 6:25 PM - 29 November, 2013
Get a cross over and a limiter wile your at it....

Nm nh
Taipanic 4:07 AM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
I believe it was posted earlier that the OP's Yorkville sub does not have a X-over, which changes the game a little bit.

Yeah, the Yorkville subs do not have a crossover to output the HF - the built in crossover only sends the LF to the sub. I run from my record out to my Yorkvilles and Mains to my Top Speakers. Funny though, they can take a high powered amplified signal and convert it to line level.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:47 AM - 30 November, 2013
Watch this

youtu.be
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:36 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't born with immediate extensive knowledge in audio nor did it spontaneously spawn in me when I first realized I wanted to become a dj. I was however born with a massive love for music and sharing it, without a doubt.

But your massive LOVE for it and quest for sharing it should drive you to devote time to figure out the best possible ways for doing just that.

As a matter of fact, most REAL DJ's that I KNOW, just because of their love for the art, generally become VERY skillful with electronics knowledge, sound processing, the audio chain from the roota to the toota, straight up sound reinforcement, how to spread power requirement across different breakers, emergency tactics for dealing with problems out in the field, expert "Tetris: packers, and oh, let me not forget, the ability to mount a headshell experts.

Fast forward to today, they better know something about computers and managing libraries...and backups...

If you're SERIOUS about what you do, you can't help but want to gain knowledge in the items mentioned above...
djkurve 12:14 AM - 1 December, 2013
If you have powered EV ELX/ZLX speakers, (like me) this is how it's done.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ DisGrace 12:29 AM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
I use and recommend a pre-owned Rane AC22B.

I would hazard a guess that this piece of gear and it's various ins/outs/options would be waayy over this user's head.
dj_soo 3:28 AM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks to both of you .. but aghh shaking my head, I think I have a different mentality of what is output and input. When I say input I mean the kind where there are pins sticking OUT, so when I say INPUT I mean where there would be a FEMALE XLR going INTO the INPUT, god this is confusing to me lol.. but OUTPUT to me means where there AREN'T pins but holes, where a MALE would connect, is that what you guys mean too ?
Also, @ ROB my mixer has a section that says MASTER OUT with two XLR spots with PINS sticking out where a female xlr cable would plug into it.. is that what you guys are talking about

Reverse your mentality. Output and input refers to your audio signal - not the physical cables. You already have make/female terminology to describe the pins so stop thinking in those terms.
Newuser21 9:37 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't born with immediate extensive knowledge in audio nor did it spontaneously spawn in me when I first realized I wanted to become a dj. I was however born with a massive love for music and sharing it, without a doubt.

But your massive LOVE for it and quest for sharing it should drive you to devote time to figure out the best possible ways for doing just that.

As a matter of fact, most REAL DJ's that I KNOW, just because of their love for the art, generally become VERY skillful with electronics knowledge, sound processing, the audio chain from the roota to the toota, straight up sound reinforcement, how to spread power requirement across different breakers, emergency tactics for dealing with problems out in the field, expert "Tetris-: packers, and oh, let me not forget, the ability to mount a headshell experts.

Fast forward to today, they better know something about computers and managing libraries...and backups...

If you're SERIOUS about what you do, you can't help but want to gain knowledge in the items mentioned above...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, @ ROB my mixer has a section that says MASTER OUT with two XLR spots with PINS sticking out where a female xlr # would plug into it.. is that what you guys are talking about

Reverse your mentality. Output and input refers to your audio signal - not the physical cables. You already have make/female terminology to describe the pins so stop thinking in those terms.

Thanks I uunderstand that now, from the beginning I had itin my head that the pins and cords go hand in hand with each other which they do, but if I refer to mypins as in's and outs or male/female then how to I differentiate between the two types of cords? Innies and outies?
Newuser21 9:38 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

As a matter of fact, most REAL DJ's that I KNOW, just because of their love for the art, generally become VERY skillful with electronics knowledge, sound processing, the audio chain from the roota to the toota, straight up sound reinforcement, how to spread power requirement across different breakers, emergency tactics for dealing with problems out in the field, expert "Tetris: packers, and oh, let me not forget, the ability to mount a headshell experts.

Which is why I'm asking questions on a forum and working 12 hour shifts every day to get into tech school for this stuff :) My point was I am a busy guy, and I can't have the knowledge spontaneously spawn in me. It is almost contradicting to negatively critique someone for a lack of knowledge when they are clearly on route to... asking for some more knowledge lol
Newuser21 9:44 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
My subs have built in X-over at 100Hz, so I have always went from mixer to sub then tops. If you go to the tops first, you will be sending full range to the tops and the subs. Your tops will be trying to reproduce frequencies below 100Hz and your subs will also be trying to reproduce subs above 100Hz unless the tops have a X-over...
Or, # blond moment here?

Thanks I'm soon getting a rane crossover, but before then since neither my toops of subs have a crossover I will have to go from my mixer to tops to subs, I don't have any RCAto XLR cables so I can't yet do Tai Panic'smethod for using the record out for the subs only, I've seen a lot of guys using the ls801p and they usually go to the sub first, I'm guessing they all have crossovers and or driveracks lol
Newuser21 9:47 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I use and recommend a pre-owned Rane AC22B.

I would hazard a guess that this piece of gear and it's various ins/outs/options would be waayy over this user's head.

I've taken a look at it and I understand everything I can see, looks pretty simple actually
Newuser21 9:53 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Watch this

youtu.be

I watched this before I posted this thread haha.. see guys I do do my research on the essence for my love of the craft despite my 12 hour shifts ;)
nah but I noticed off the bat that he had a crossover in the tops and went from the subs first, until I get my x-over I'm getting the idea here that it'd be wise to go to tops first
Newuser21 9:55 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Get a cross over and a limiter wile your at it....

Nm nh

on it lol
Newuser21 10:02 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm glad you posted this vid, can someone explain to me how the first stereo setup is not split stereo? He only connected one speaker to his mixer, then used his sub to power his second top..
Newuser21 10:02 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm glad you posted this vid, can someone explain to me how the first stereo setup is not split stereo? He only connected one speaker to his mixer, then used his sub to power his second top..
Newuser21 10:06 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
On the crossover topic:
We've covered that your tops have inputs AND outputs. Do they have any filters or other controls built in that effect the output port? Such as knobs or buttons for stuff like passes or cuts?

Hey sorry I've been away working lol.. I have RCF art 3 series they are great sounding cheapspeakers because they offer little on the input section, the only thing I have is a flat/boost switch. When using my sub I always switch them to flat. My RCF's have no filters either
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:21 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is why I'm asking questions on a forum and working 12 hour shifts every day to get into tech school for this stuff :) My point was I am a busy guy, and I can't have the knowledge spontaneously spawn in me. It is almost contradicting to negatively critique someone for a lack of knowledge when they are clearly on route to... asking for some more knowledge lol

The way you responded -
Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't born with immediate extensive knowledge in audio nor did it spontaneously spawn in me
was NOT indicative of someone who wants to learn. It gave NO indication of how "busy" you are, how many hours you work a day, that you're in "tech school" for this stuff, or that you're "clearly on route" to gaining this knowledge...

No, you sounded like someone who bit off more than they could chew.

If you would have phrased your "comment" better, you wouldn't have been "negatively" chastised...which was actually "POSITIVE" reinforcement, as we were describing what you needed to know ANYWAY....
Newuser21 11:34 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is why I'm asking questions on a forum and working 12 hour shifts every day to get into # for this stuff :) My point was I am a busy guy, and I can't have the knowledge spontaneously spawn in me. It is almost contradicting to negatively critique someone for a lack of knowledge when they are clearly on route to... asking for some more knowledge lol

The way you responded -
Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't born with immediate extensive knowledge in audio nor did it spontaneously spawn in me
was NOT indicative of someone who wants to learn. It gave NO indication of how "busy" you are, how many hours you work a day, that you're in "#" for this stuff, or that you're "clearly on route" to gaining this knowledge...

No, you sounded like someone who bit off more than they could chew.

If you would have phrased your "comment" better, you wouldn't have been "negatively" chastised...which was actually "POSITIVE" reinforcement, as we were describing what you needed to know ANYWAY....

I thanked for all the help my friend. You're right in saying it was not indicative of how much I want to learn or that I was 24/7 busy, but it was not indicative of the vice versa either leaving your knowledge of me in a neutral standpoint in that respect, so I personally thought it rendered such a statement to simply be a premature assumption which I felt unnecessary seeing as though it suggested I didn't truly love my craft, no disrespect. The comment you quoted in your most recent post from me is refering to the fact that I cannot dedicate my life to working so much AND being able to learn such involved concepts without well.. not sleeping like ever lol, NOT that I'm too lazy to put the effort in and think it should just spontaneously spawn in me. I don't want you to get the wrong idea of my dedication :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:38 AM - 5 December, 2013
Quote:
I don't want you to get the wrong idea of my dedication :)

Duly noted. The art USED to be structured where you "Had" to acquire this knowledge, or you simply would not make it to the next level.

Advances in technology have allowed corners to be cut, and thus the learning experience.

You'll find that if you're dedicated to this "Art" that you'll become one of the most well rounded people you know. :-)
dj_soo 7:51 AM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:

Thanks I uunderstand that now, from the beginning I had itin my head that the pins and cords go hand in hand with each other which they do, but if I refer to mypins as in's and outs or male/female then how to I differentiate between the two types of cords? Innies and outies?

the end with the pins are male (pins = penis: nh), the ones with the holes are female (hole = vagina).

input and output refers exclusively to the audio signal.
DJ GaFFle 1:20 PM - 7 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn't born with immediate extensive knowledge in sex coz I did spontaneously spew in men when I first realized I wanted to become ghey. I was however born with a massive love for cock and sharing it, without a doubt.

As a matter of fact, most REAL Ghey Men that I KNOW, just because of their love for the cock, generally become VERY skillful with electronic toys, sucking, and trains from the roota to the toota, straight up sex orgies, how to spread themselves across different men, emergency tactics for dealing with problems out in the field, expert "Fudge: packers, and oh, let me not forget, the ability to mount the head...

Let's just stick to the topic fellas... :-)

(nm/nh)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:38 PM - 7 December, 2013
That is sooo nasty.
DJ GaFFle 3:41 PM - 7 December, 2013
LMAO
alongone 11:41 PM - 14 July, 2014
Thanks for all and any help
I have all powered speakers, I am trying to learn whether I need to use the DBX driverack px or just run through my two jbl 18 inch subs to the 15 satellite speakers, I also have a digital presonus mixer any help will be deeply appreciated. Question (1) use the dbx driverack PX or not? Thanks.
DJ Remy USA 2:11 AM - 15 July, 2014
Use the DBX on powers speakers always it helps protect your investment and get the best sound out if your gear.
DJ Dean Machine 9:22 PM - 11 August, 2016
This Driverack has made for incredible sound quality! I'm impressed! Nicely dialed in now and smokin hot sound.
Gabemt 1:02 AM - 1 May, 2017
I have vrx918sp and 2 prx715 jbl I'm using a Yamaha mixer how can I separate the bass from the pxr715 because when I put more bass to the 18"s it goes to the pxr715 and they start to sound bad
Ulrich von Hurtem 1:19 AM - 1 May, 2017
mixer to vrx18 in, vrx18 XLR out to prx715. Set crossover selector on vrx18 to "hi-pass 80hz"
Gabemt 2:23 AM - 1 May, 2017
I did but I still get bass when I higher the volume ?
Gabemt 2:27 AM - 1 May, 2017
Also if I lower the bass on the mixer I get a lot of highs even if I lower everything down
Gabemt 2:28 AM - 1 May, 2017
My first experience with vrx918sp
Ulrich von Hurtem 2:54 AM - 1 May, 2017
80hz is a rather low X-over point. If that's the issue, and I think it may be, you'll need a separate active crossover.
Gabemt 4:17 AM - 1 May, 2017
Yes I think that can work!!what do u recommend?
dj_soo 6:56 AM - 1 May, 2017
If you're using 15" tops, a lower xover point isn't a bad thing. Those larger woofers on your tops are designed to hit lower frequencies so let them work for you and have the subs cover the majority of the "felt" bass.

Might just be that you need to balance them a bit better...
Gabemt 4:54 PM - 1 May, 2017
My pxr 715 are good for some bass but not the low frequency and hit I want also they have a lot of highs and it beats my lows I'm using a Yamaha mg10xu
Gabemt 4:59 PM - 1 May, 2017
So I really want to control my bass and highs saparet
Gabemt 5:33 PM - 1 May, 2017
Do I need a different mixer or more stuff to ad
Ulrich von Hurtem 10:54 PM - 1 May, 2017
An active crossover will give you control, over crossover points, and levels.
Gabemt 11:28 PM - 1 May, 2017
Any recommendations on a good crossover
Gabemt 11:30 PM - 1 May, 2017
To buy??
Gabemt 11:30 PM - 1 May, 2017
To try to fix my problem
Ulrich von Hurtem 11:38 PM - 1 May, 2017
I use a Rane AC22B. Only available used thee days. worth buying, if you can find one. Make sure to get the power supply (if needed)
Gabemt 12:08 AM - 2 May, 2017
Sorry power supply?
Ulrich von Hurtem 12:33 AM - 2 May, 2017
Some Rane gear requires an external power supply. They often go missing, and they're hard to find. Sometimes the same Rane item will not require a power supply, depends on when it was made. Just be sure it's included , if needed.
dj_soo 6:37 AM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:
My pxr 715 are good for some bass but not the low frequency and hit I want also they have a lot of highs and it beats my lows I'm using a Yamaha mg10xu

my guess is that your sub is limiting before your tops are and causing an imbalance once you crank it up. Common when you're only using a single sub vs high passed tops.

When you sound check, balance out the tops and sub at high volume levels and then turn down your master.
Taipanic 2:10 PM - 2 May, 2017
Any of the DBX Driverack PA series will give you all the control you need and then some.
Gabemt 3:23 PM - 2 May, 2017
DBX ? SORRY BUT I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL DJ I WAS BACK ON THE DAY WITH CD AND PA SPEAKERS BUT I'M GETTING BACK ON THE GAME MOSLY FOR MY PERSONAL USE I HAVE 2 PXR715 AND 2 VRX918SP
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:43 PM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:
When you sound check, balance out the tops and sub at high volume levels and then turn down your master.

This
Taipanic 8:48 PM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:
DBX ? SORRY BUT I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL DJ I WAS BACK ON THE DAY WITH CD AND PA SPEAKERS BUT I'M GETTING BACK ON THE GAME MOSLY FOR MY PERSONAL USE I HAVE 2 PXR715 AND 2 VRX918SP

lmgtfy.com
kilu 1:59 PM - 25 May, 2018
www.sweetwater.com

in the picture here it shows the use of a crossover using the L/R.

Im sort of confused as to how this works this way though is the output from the mixer going through the input of the crossover then back out to power both the tops and sub ? how would would you make this happen as well. im looking to get a crossover and get this to work.
dj scottie b 10:26 PM - 26 May, 2018
Quote:

maybe I'm wrong, but aren't u supposed to go from mixer to sub to top?
Comrade Tulayev 10:13 AM - 27 May, 2018
Yep, sub first then to tops
DjHurt™ 12:27 PM - 10 November, 2020
my setup are from mixer L & R master output xlr to sub in L & R and sub out to tops in L & R.
I also doing from mixer L & R master output xlr to tops and booth out to sub in that way you can adjust your bass if it's clipping or if you need more bass or lower your bass.
BrentMeder 10:27 AM - 17 November, 2020
Quote:

Should be going from the output on the mixer via XLR to the sub and then from the output of the sub to the 2 tops. This is because the sub will have a crossover which will separate the bass frequencies below a certain level, probably around 100Hz, and then send the frequencies above this to your tops.
577er 4:27 PM - 17 November, 2020
Hopefully he figured this out back in 2013 but “it depends” is the correct answer.

If your subs have a high pass output then Mixer > subs > tops would make the most sense (as long as you balance them afterwards).

If your sub doesn’t send a filtered signal but your tops cut the lows then it doesn’t matter how the signal flows.

If your tops don’t cut the lows but your subs do then definitely sub > tops

I have encountered speakers with outputs that affect the output when you change the volume or turn off the speaker / sub. This means again it depends what sounds best in your particular setup. But keep in mind if your subs go out or have to be turned down - your tops are always more important so plan accordingly.

Many times subs with stereo inputs sound fuller with both left and right signals receiving a signal but not always.

Personally I prefer aux fed subs with my tops running full range but that’s for DJing.

If I’m planning an installation it’s always aux fed sub and high passed tops because if you have random people use the system you have to protect it from overzealous dummies.

Also worth repeating that subs interact with the room / space very differently than tops and so while it’s usually obvious where to place the tops it’s not always obvious where to place the subs for best results.