Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Mac Book Pro Audio Buzz when Connected to MiniDisplay Port

DJ Michael T 1:12 AM - 11 November, 2013
On going problem here... looking for help.

I'm getting what seems to be a ground buzz when connecting my minidisplay port's video connection. I'm using Itch with the DDJ-S1 controller on a Mac Book Pro 15" Mid-2009. When simply doing a DJ gig, I have no buzz. When adding video to my show, my only option is to output video from the minidisplay port. It's connected to a VGA cable and then to a video rack with a marshall switcher, signal splitters, a furman conditioner and DVD player.

I've ran the power from the audio rack to the same and to different circuits... in both cases, I have a buzz.

I've ground lifted each rack individually, and even ground lifted the mac book on it's own... still a buzz.

I've tried different VGA cables, and different MiniDisplay to VGA adaptors... still a buzz.

Other than bringing my MacBook to the dreaded Genious Bar, I do not know what else to do. Any ideas... suggestions... or others who have had this problem, please let me know. Other possibly needed info... no buzz when playing at a club using CDJs and using my same minisdisplay output to VGA connections. The buzz only happens when using my mobile gear (regardless of venue).
Code:E 6:10 AM - 12 November, 2013
Have you had the the whole DJ rig on the same circuit as all the video components and displays?
Code:E 6:12 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
ns. The buzz only happens when using my mobile gear (regardless of venue).

Oh didnt read this. Something is giving you the buzz in your mobile gear. What video gear to do you use. just a projector, spitters anything?
DJ Michael T 12:05 PM - 12 November, 2013
The audio portion if my rig us the pioneer S1 controller with XLR outs either direct to QSC KW series powered tops and bottoms or sometimes with a sound craft sound board between.

The video out starts with the mac book pro uses minidisplay to VGA. Then connects to a Kramer VP series professional video switcher/ scaler. From there I have both a VGA splitter and HDMI splitter. Most of the time I'm using both splitters and sending video content to Visio 60" TV monitors and a computer screen set as preview monitor setup in the booth.

I have had both rigs on the same and separate circuits and in both cases encounter the buzz. I've never had the full system with speakers, TVs, etc on one circuit though in fear of drawing too much power. (The speakers alone are 1000 watts each x 4).
DJMark 7:31 PM - 12 November, 2013
I'm betting that if you used baluns and CAT-6 ethernet cable for the video feed, the buzz would go away.

Sounds like you have a classic ground-loop scenario, and the transformers in the baluns should serve to break the loop. As a bonus, you'll be able to run much longer feeds of video over ethernet cable.
Joshua Carl 10:02 PM - 12 November, 2013
also try one of these...

upload.wikimedia.org

where ever i encounter this I put EVERY peice of gear on the power strip with one of these and 9/10 times its the fix
(ie on the strip it self, not each plug)
DJMark 12:43 AM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
also try one of these...

upload.wikimedia.org

where ever i encounter this I put EVERY peice of gear on the power strip with one of these and 9/10 times its the fix
(ie on the strip it self, not each plug)

Yes, but that "fix" comes with some potentially fatal safety issues. It's something you can "usually" get away with, something similar to lighting a match while pumping gas.

The real fix is to take care of the ground loop somehow, which eliminates the safety issues.
DJ Michael T 5:03 AM - 14 November, 2013
Mark - I've never heard of baluns... Just looked it up. Not sure where/ how this would help.

And josh... I've used the ground lift option and it only minimizes the problem it's definitely not a great permanent fix.

I see that my issue is somewhat isolated. Could be a flaw within the construction of my MacBook possibly.
DJMark 7:04 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Mark - I've never heard of baluns... Just looked it up. Not sure where/ how this would help.

They would help because the transformers would isolate the ground, killing the buzzing.

That's of course leaving out the possibility that you have an actual equipment problem.
The Blendmaster 4:48 PM - 18 June, 2016
I've had the same issue not sure if it's a problem with MacBook always does the hum when either Serato usb is plugged in while HDMI is hooked up and vice versa
The Blendmaster 4:49 PM - 18 June, 2016
Has anyone found a fix this is crazy annoying
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:44 PM - 18 June, 2016
I have had to the same issues too, with a Mac with HDMI port. Even bringing the HDMI cable close to the Mac when trying to connect the monitors I get a buzz that won't go away.

So many possibilities in my own situation. The bar I play in has three dance areas with booths/Dj areas in each section. They have installed XLR sockets in each area to connect to and the main PA control is located behind the bar area.

I can only significantly reduce buzz if I connect to one particular XLR socket located in the main bar, anywhere else it's a loud zzzzzxaaaaa sound.

I have tried using XLR ground interface it makes things worse.

I have resigned to running XLR to that particular socket irrespective of the floor I'm playing .
DJMark 7:56 AM - 23 June, 2016
Isolation transformers.

Either in the audio path, or the video path (baluns).

Or maybe both.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:28 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
Isolation transformers.

Either in the audio path, or the video path (baluns).

Or maybe both.

Are you referring to this ?

www.amazon.co.uk

I have this already and the unwanted sound goes through the roof in the spot i dj at.

I think it works because i actually tried it at home with a powered speaker i have. The Isolator supports both XLR and RCA .

The powered speaker has both xlr and rca inputs. Usually when i connect my Mixer via rca to this powered speaker i get a low grade hum vs when i use XLR. When i use the aforementioned isolator with RCA at home the hum goes away.

I just think its the connection in the club i play at though.
Brumar 8:15 AM - 3 October, 2019
Anybody find a fix for this? It goes away from time to time, but yes the displayport on a Retina 2012 is making some mad buzzing noise. I'm running everything with balanced cables and clean power into an Apollo, which is in the adjacent thunderbolt port.

The only thing I've been able to deduce, is when I use a screen dimming app (Quickshade) it goes away.

It sounds like it's something to do with the displayport adapter or VGA in general.

After much trial and error I figured out how to drive 2 displays with the MBP retina (VGA to displayport, and HDMI output) any other version didn't work and caused the computer to freeze. But I guess this just goes to show it's not really optimized for something like this.

Anybody have suggestions for reliable MBP or Mini on the cheap? What are people doing these days for reliable noise free rigs that can drive multiple displays?

Loved the 2012 retina for many years, zero issues (except for this).
Culprit 5:38 AM - 11 October, 2019
Hey Brumar,

I haven't tested it yet but you can try using an Apple TV 4th generation device and connect to it directly and use that as an external display.
Brumar 5:42 AM - 11 October, 2019
I figured it out. Got a $0.50 ground lift adapter for my display monitor and the noise went away completely! Highly recommend someone try this before anything else.
PanosM 2:41 PM - 29 February, 2020
Dear Brumar,

I am having the same issue.
When I am connecting my display via hdmi through miniDislpay adapter, I am having an annoying sound.

What is exactly the ground lift adapter? Could you please provide a link?

Thank you in advance,

PanosM
Robb Royale 8:06 PM - 2 March, 2020
PanosM, try this: www.harborfreight.com
djvik9534 2:26 AM - 7 March, 2020
try going to system preferences then sound and make sure your hdmi is not checked for sound.