DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The sky has fallen... Serato DVS in a Pioneer mixer? My demo of the DJM-900SRT.

phatbob 6:09 PM - 9 November, 2013
Certainly an interesting product, just for what it means to the industry, whether you like Pioneer products or not.

Check it out here: Watchwww.youtube.com

Cheers
Discobee 7:08 PM - 9 November, 2013
Thank you for this video....I'm seriously considering this mixer.
Jeff Scott 9:43 PM - 9 November, 2013
Looking SlimBob
DJ DisGrace 2:57 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Looking SlimBob

+1 looking trim, my friend!
phatbob 3:17 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Looking SlimBob

+1 looking trim, my friend!

Thanks guys... It's kinda novel, tracking my weight loss through a series of YouTube videos... ;)
Discobee 5:14 AM - 10 November, 2013
With Scratch Live and the regular DJM900 Nexus, I MIDI the following to give me a little bit of control:

Link CUE - tab between folders and tracks
Fader Start 1 - L Cue 1
Fader Start 2 - L Loop On/Off
Fader Start 3 - R Cue 1
Fader Start 4 - R Loop On/Off
Ch 1 CUE - load left deck
Ch 4 CUE - load right deck
Ch 1 Fader - scrolling

Gives me just a little more control without needing the Denon HC1000 or Dicers. I imagine that the DJM900 SRT will also allow me to MIDI these as well right?
DJ Matty Stiles 8:21 AM - 10 November, 2013
Thank you so much for the vid! I've been looking for one like this for the new 900 SRT.

Are those pink neons or standard pinks? Whith white butte rugs underneath?
DJ Remy USA 9:33 AM - 10 November, 2013
How is the cross fader I scratch a lot and if the fader is just like the regular nexus then Im not interested, the mixer is sweet besides that but how are the faders thats all I care about and that vid is kinda long so I didnt watch the whole thing.
phatbob 11:04 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
With Scratch Live and the regular DJM900 Nexus, I MIDI the following to give me a little bit of control:

Link CUE - tab between folders and tracks
Fader Start 1 - L Cue 1
Fader Start 2 - L Loop On/Off
Fader Start 3 - R Cue 1
Fader Start 4 - R Loop On/Off
Ch 1 CUE - load left deck
Ch 4 CUE - load right deck
Ch 1 Fader - scrolling

Gives me just a little more control without needing the Denon HC1000 or Dicers. I imagine that the DJM900 SRT will also allow me to MIDI these as well right?

I did test that, and unfortunately like all other native Serato DJ hardware, it cannot be mapped. So if you are used to having that custom mapping, the Nexus is still the one for you.
phatbob 11:12 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Thank you so much for the vid! I've been looking for one like this for the new 900 SRT.

Glad to help! Along with the NS7 II, this was the new hardware I was most excited about checking out myself.

Quote:
Are those pink neons or standard pinks? Whith white butte rugs underneath?

Neons, yeah. My video colour grading skills are still quite poor, so if anything, I have done a disservice to just how crazy bright those things are.

I normally use Butter Rugs, but if I remember right, those are just regular white slipmats.
phatbob 11:23 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
How is the cross fader I scratch a lot and if the fader is just like the regular nexus then Im not interested, the mixer is sweet besides that but how are the faders thats all I care about and that vid is kinda long so I didnt watch the whole thing.

You only had to watch the first 2 minutes to see me tell you it's identical to the Nexus, apart from the Serato DJ stuff... ;)

So yeah, the faders are the same. I'm only the most rudimentary scratcher myself, so it's good enough for me.

I also saw a tweet from A-Trak a while back saying he used to have an Innofader in the 800, but uses the stock fader in the Nexus, so I guess it's not too bad. But if you're used to the feel and finite adjustment of a Rane, I can see why you'd prefer that.
Discobee 6:43 PM - 10 November, 2013
Ahhhh I see......ok the difference between the regular Nexus and the SRT is MIDI vs Native...I understand now.

Thanks phatbob, that actually clears things up for me alot and in my decision. I will not buy the SRT just yet and stick to my Rane 62. I like the newer Pioneer mixers better but not having cue points and loading tracks after having the ability to do so (on the regular Nexus) is a little bit of a deal breaker.

I hope Pioneer will come out with a mixer that has controls for Serato DJ like that DJM-T1 for Traktor in the future.
SELECT 8:16 PM - 10 November, 2013
The new SRT mixer has a magnetic fader. Rane uses magnetic faders as well. Its definitely not like the older models Pioneer mixers. I like how they designed it. Seems like I can take a lot of abuse.
SELECT 8:17 PM - 10 November, 2013
You can see the internal design of the channel faders and crossfader here-www.pioneerelectronics.com
SELECT 8:29 PM - 10 November, 2013
The DJM-900SRT is perfect for tough club environments, thanks to two metal shafts supporting the fader knobs and an exclusive magnetic cross fader construction that can be used more than 10 million times – nearly three times more than the DJM-750. The fader mechanism is positioned to one side, rather than directly beneath the fader faceplate opening, minimizing the damage from liquid or dust getting inside, while the Pioneer P-LOCK Fader Caps are impossible to pull off in the heat of a mix.
phatbob 8:56 PM - 10 November, 2013
Interesting... I may have missed that.

The fader felt pretty much the same as the ones I use on the Nexus, but then they are installed in clubs, and so are a lot older.
Jeff Scott 9:24 PM - 12 November, 2013
I used to lose a fader every 2 month or so, 4/5 nights a week club use with an 800, had the 900 Nexus nearly a year now and all the faders are still fine
TelosHedge 3:29 AM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
I used to lose a fader every 2 month or so, 4/5 nights a week club use with an 800, had the 900 Nexus nearly a year now and all the faders are still fine

i haven't lost one yet either, but i have bent the crossfader a bit lol.