DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Radio DJS. How did you do it? Share

dyvrs 6:34 PM - 10 March, 2006
Besides having skills period how does a DJ even break into being a radio mix DJ (non college).

Matter of fact there are a few DJs who are on-air that completley suck. I won't name names for now.

But everytime I ask a big DJ when I see them on the street or at the mall, they just tell me the same thing over and over again "just keep doing your thing".

I assume networking, being a DJ for an artist, group, or band will tremendously help. Mixtapes and promotions and what not.

Is that and a while shit load of luck all it takes?

Anyone whos on the Radio now please share your stories on how you got your big break. Stuck up celebrities need not apply.
el presidente 7:38 PM - 10 March, 2006
dyvrs, you hit it right on the head. develop your own style, become sharp technically, make a name for yourself, and send the station(s) you want to spin on loads of mixtapes. show them you're great and that you want it bad. most of the djs are much better than they can show on the radio, but they were also very hungry to get on. its the same thing with hot gigs, selling beats or production services, etc.

best of luck to you.
BUSTAMOVE90210 7:43 PM - 10 March, 2006
i dj on the radio and i've dee-jayed around the world (Germany, Australia, England and France) soon to try and add Asia to that list. I would like to help all other djs with advice so ask away. as far as this discussion it's about conquering YOUR city first. this of course means networking with other djs, but more importantly them recognizing you have skills somewhere along the line they may not like you but they won't deny this fact. i started with block parties and mobile gigs. then moved on to the hottest clubs. by that time YOU WILL BE KNOWN IN THE HOOD. when you walk into the radio station lobby (if they don't approach you first) they will or should know your name.
Rebelguy 7:47 PM - 10 March, 2006
In this day and age you really should consider if you even want to do it. If you are trying to score a gig in a major market you have to know that the mixshows will probably be very structured and there is a lot less room for you to choose what you want to play. Its not as fun as you think it is.

If you are really going to pursue it then it really helps if you know someone to at least foward your demo to the write people but if you can get a good street buzz and keep sending tapes they you can probably get a guest spot. Sometimes I think it is somewhat easy as a lot of stations have mix weekends over holiday weekends with many hours to fill. Wild 94.9 in San Francisco did a 400+ hour two week long mix over the holiday season. Those are good opportunities to get a shot. What area are you in???
BUSTAMOVE90210 7:53 PM - 10 March, 2006
good points rebelguy. let's start with what city you're in dyvrs
Julls 8:29 PM - 10 March, 2006
We need like a C-Zer guide for this thread.
DeezNotes 11:06 PM - 10 March, 2006
Rebelguy made a good point. It was a primary goal for me at one point, but once I was there I didn't like what I saw.
dyvrs 12:09 AM - 11 March, 2006
Some really good info, thanks for everyone who contributed.

For everyone asking what city I'm in.........I'm in the city where its impossible to be on the radio. New York City! 2 hi

I am a recent college grad with a BA in Comm/Broadcast performance so I figure a good route would be to work at the station first as promotions, programming or what not and try my luck from there. Anyone agree?

In all honestly since I am in the #1 market of the world, I am considering moving somewhere to get my start. Has anyone done this or advise this? BUSTAMOVE?

Do I want it that bad? Yes I am young and have time to waste in my life. I don;t mind being poor as long as I have my tables and serato.

I guess the hardest part is getting the contacts.
Rebelguy 12:23 AM - 11 March, 2006
If you want to be a radio DJ that bad then moving is always a good option. There are lots of smaller markets which sometimes will be more flexible with letting newer people on the air. One thing to remember is try to get a station that has BDS or mediabase. This is the main thing label people look for when they are deciding who gets what as far as promos and advance product. With the advent of the digital age and the ability to e-mail tracks it is not as hard to send out promos but they really do look for people that are gonna help them get detectable spins. That is what the game is all about to them...getting spins and having their songs chart.
Julls 4:45 PM - 11 March, 2006
Hey anyone have like a sample letter that should go with your mix cd?
DJ Evil One 7:16 PM - 11 March, 2006
i used to work in promotions at the #1 station out in my market (portland, OR) and i've seen a lot of jocks come here from other markets, prove themselves and get jobs in other areas...

as a matter of fact, HOT97s E-Bro worked at the same station as me at the same time...he went from the morning show here to doing big things in NY. i think a couple of the on airs went to vegas, one is in AZ...

case in point right there.
Dj MG 7:56 PM - 11 March, 2006
It's all about timing and networking brotha. 4 years ago I was a bedroom Dj then got a job at record store called Stacks Vinyl in Cerritos. I've worked there for 2.5 years networking and paying dues. During those years I started to play clubs and meet new people. After a while, I felt that I would never be on radio and I posed the same question that Dyvers said to my homeboy Dj Echo from Power 106. He just told me to mix and scratch clean and to never sleep on any opportunities. He also said that networking and maintaining a work ethic is cruicial as well.

About a year and a half ago, I caught my break when a friend of mine, Remark, got a mixing job at 92.7 kkuu fm in Palm Springs. I met this guy through clubs and stuff. After a while, he got me guest spots and I started to DJ there more often until they finally hired me. Then a year later, a relatively new station in Riverside opened up (Wild 96.1) and I didn;t know anyone there. So I hit up some of the mixers that were working there (4 at the time) and met up with them to chop it up. After the first meeting, they said they were not looking for DJs but would like to hear a demo from me. So the next day and every day there after, I sent them my mixes that I recorded on my other station (92.7). After about 3 or 4 months, they had a mix weekend and needed help so they gave me a shot. After a couple of months they eventually hired me.

SOOOOOO my biggest pointer is....
1. To send constant demos to where ever you want to go on.
2. YOU MUST NETWORK OR KNOW THE PEOPLE AT THE STATION
3. You must be persistant and maintain contact with people (This shows that you have good work ethics)
4. Do clubs or anything so your name gets familiar
5. When you make demos for radio, PLEASE don't multitrack because people can tell when you are bullshitting and thats not a good look
6. Stay positive and don't give up

I guess this is all I can say. I've had a lot of DJs come up to me and ask me if there is any room at the station. I tell them not right now, but if they give me a demo and the people like it, they may have a shot. Out of all the times I've said that to people, I've gotten a total of 0 demos. And I'll tell u this much, if they did they would of had a shot because we did have an opening and they assed out because they didn't want it bad enough. I'd say when you are on radio, to be on, it is 35% networking, 40% skill, and 25% work ethic. The best way to start I guess is to join a station street team and work your way up. Hope this helps. If any more questions, holla.
Dj MG 8:14 PM - 11 March, 2006
Oh yea, as RebelGuy and Deez said, there is alot of politics on radio. Lucky for the stations I am on, they are very open on playing old hip hop and stuff, but as always, 60% of our mix has to be songs played on a structed list. But i'll tell you this much, radio has changed my life for the better and it has been a dream come true for me. Sure radio doesn't pay you jack crap, but the experience, the luxory of your friends and family to hear you is priceless. If I were to die now, I'd die happy. Actually, I'm almost dead, I am a full time student and I had 4 midterms this week and one more next.
el presidente 12:19 AM - 12 March, 2006
ahh, too funny. evil one, when were you working at kxjm? did you work for my man hector and for renee while you were there?

mg, do you still work at stacks? icy ice is the homie. got much love, and he's always looking to show people love. and echo's the homie too. and my hearing thanks him immensely (long story)

dyvrs, its a really small world and if you do things right and pursure it passionately and professionally (and heed the great advice listed here), you'll have a great chance at success. best of luck.
Dj Ryme 12:43 AM - 12 March, 2006
Hey MG, any room on the street team?? Your cool as hell bro, I used to talk to you when I used to go to Stacks all the time. Let me know - Ryme
DJ Evil One 1:37 AM - 12 March, 2006
el presidente-

yo. i worked there in 99 for a hot minute. it was right after they went to the chr format. i was a measley street teamer...i think i'd just gotten my turntables (or was about to) so i didn't have any visions on working my way up and was still in school. hector had also just gotten hired while i was there too, renee was there as well.

where i'm at now, i don't know if i'd even want to be on the radio in this market. from what i've heard the situation at the stations here in town its so limiting that i don't know how i could get more gigs (i've got 4 weeklies here, each at different spots and each one cracks minus the radio).
Dj MG 2:25 AM - 12 March, 2006
Waddup El Presidente, yea, I still work at Stacks, but at home. I do updates on the page. I no longer work physically at Stacks because school and radio is taking alot of my time and I wanted to give other people my responibilities so that it could lead or help them take their DJing careers to the next level one day just as it did for me. Oh and I forgot, Icy Ice is one of the dopest people you will ever meet. He is always grounded and is always down to help people out like me.

Whats up Rhyme. I don't know if they are looking for anymore people for the street team, but what I would do is go by the station and talk to someone about joing the street team or interning.

Another thing I wanted to add is that nothing comes handed to you. You have to earn it and pay dues. When I Djed in Palm Springs, I drove there from LA (About an hour and a half one way)and Djed for free for 3-4 months and did the same for wild 96 in Riverside. But after it is all said and done, its worth it for me. DYVRS, good luck and I hope everyones adviced helped u out.
el presidente 5:36 AM - 12 March, 2006
thats funny. hector is my man and whenever he and i would be in portland at the same time we'd put it down hard. we'd roll out to 1201 and some other spots. but that was years and years ago. i still stay in touch with tony tech also. thats the homie also. and you're right, the scene up there isn't good for radio mixers. kxjm has been falling off and the clearchannel stations are...clearchannel stations. tony cole is a really good guy (i met him through hector when he was in seattle), but its a different world. probably not worth the hassle.

and back on to the topic, mg is right. you have to work your ass off. intern, get on street teams, make mixtapes daily, get sharp technically.
Dj Goldade 10:11 PM - 12 March, 2006
A suggestion - Get a spot on a university campus radio. They may not pay, but it's something to put in your resume. Also they're less structured as to what you have to play. The biggest radio DJ's in Vancouver (Canada) started out with a hip-hop show on the local campus. Also internet radio might be another avenue. It takes time to promote and get exposure but there's no CRTC (Canada's FCC equivalent) to jump down your throat
dj shadow from detroit 3:20 PM - 14 March, 2006
I ACTUALLY WON A DJ CONTEST TO BE A MIX DJ FOR A YEAR FOR HOT 102.7 HERE IN DETROIT!!! I THINK IF YOU SEND YOUR DEMO AND YOU HAVE ALOT OF PASSION AND DESIRE FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO DO KEEP TRYING!!! TRUST ME I STARTED DJING BACK IN 1990 I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD WIN A DJ CONTEST TO BE ON THE RADIO.BUT THAT PASSION I HAVE DROVE ME TO DO THING'S THAT I WOULDN'T NORMALLY DO!!
YOU ONLY LIVE ONE TIME BELEIVE IN YOUR SELF AND NEVER LET ANYONE PULL YOU DOWN!!!!! WWW.MYSPACE.COM CHECK ME OUT!!!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:52 PM - 14 March, 2006
yo shadow, nice remix of ciara's oh.
dj shadow from detroit 6:02 PM - 14 March, 2006
hey thank you i appreciate it! hey you use a dell inspiron?
i been using a dell 8100 inspiron for a year(512 ram,i never use internet man i have been blessed with this laptop for real) everyone talk's about mac's but i swear i thank dell is the best!!!! have you had any problem's ?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:21 PM - 14 March, 2006
the only probs i had with my Dell was when i was running FS2 (all kinds of hangups, and blue screens....not to mention all the random audio drop outs and ground loop hum)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:24 PM - 14 March, 2006
otherwise, with ssl, no probs here.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:25 PM - 14 March, 2006
btw, my lappy hasn't seen the net as well.... all kinds of stuff was disabled (fine tuned and stripped just for music)
dj shadow from detroit 8:41 PM - 14 March, 2006
do you ever have problem's with threshold when setting up?i alway's do in club's on set up when i estimate it alway's goes to right i never have problem's through the night but i know i shouldnt alway's get threshold at zero all the time. am i doing something wrong?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:18 PM - 14 March, 2006
i have the same estimate (to tha right) when i play out, but i don't see any probs...when i'm at home, the estimate settles to the center or to tha left side.
hustlas 11:49 AM - 26 March, 2006
any idea what details to include in the resume?

ima applying for music executive.
Thebasementwonder 9:00 PM - 26 March, 2006
I been doing radio in toronto for 2yrs. It was sad the way it happened. But i enjoy community radio. I been djing 29yrs. I djing along side some of the finest dj's around. Seen music change etc. For me I was in the right place at the right time. But I all do respect to all dj's. Just be yourself and enjoy the music dont bother whos better then who. If u have 1000 people in a party and only 50 dance. Something is wrong but. Poeple bost about who they had a packed house but ask him howmusch enjoyed themselves and danced. I rather have 100 people come to be and give love and enjoyed the nite thats my opinion. Just be real keep up with the changing game of djing and music