Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

The VFX-1 just feels.... useless now.

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
FabulousFrequencies 5:39 PM - 7 November, 2013
I promised I would post these thoughts to this forum when Martin asked why my time spent with SDJ is so short. I didn't want to clutter up the beta forum, so here it is. And I could be overlooking something as I barely spent much time with it, so by all means let me know.

The VFX-1 operation, I learned on ITCH. When I learned it, I never used LATCH, I LIKE adjusting PARAM-2 on the unit, and double time is my beat setting 90% of the time.

1) On SDJ, latch is completely defunct. It's in permanent latch mode. There are hardware switches on the side of the unit that do absolutely zilch now.

2) The PARAM-2 knob no longer adjusts param-2. If you push it down to adjust param 2, it activates a new FX feature.

3) I can not seem to set the beat to 2x any longer. In fact operation of the beat rotary seems to skip certain selections as labeled, and if I recall correctly even leaves 1 or 2 choices in an unchanged state from the last? Bizarre.

4) The method for activating deck chain has changed. Now you tap a/b to toggle on/off whereas prior you held the active deck while tapping the other to chain on/off.

And these are just things i've noticed off the bat. I need to be very clear about this; I didn't buy this unit to shove it in the closet. I've had it a little over a year now and I love using it with ITCH, it's part of every mix. On SDJ I just want to smash it and toss the remains in the closet. I am not giving up a part of my routines to move on to SDJ, that's outrageous. Right now mapping a Traktor x1 to the FX engine would be 10x more productive. Native Serato hardware should *always* be more attractive to use with Serato than it's vendors competitor hardware. You're not doing Vestax any favors here, or yourselves. I suggest you sit down with a vfx-1 and restore it's functionality. Thank you.
djstefy74 9:50 PM - 7 November, 2013
Again..i agree with you in this post,after made similar posts with holy hope that Serato's team said something new about Vci300+Vfx integration in Sdj,the 300 was(the first??)pro controller burn with Serato(Itch,of course)and now with Dj(one season delayed to integrate it with the Vci..)and i expect that the use with the new software is a pleasure at least like(or almost)with Itch..BUT..Scroll jog on the controller,fx that cannot selected properly,favourite fx list that don't work..I understand that SDJ is with new controllers in mind,Dvs integration ecc.
But must to have a new controller or a new midi controller to have full control of the software it's a little annoying..
Serato, Support
Mak T 12:51 AM - 12 November, 2013
Hey FabulousFrequncies,

Thanks for your patience. Our Team has had this conversation with you previously, and at this point it is in the hands of the Product Team and how they will be prioritizing the VFX-1.

Cheers

Mak T
8:04 AM, 26 Nov 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
FabulousFrequencies 4:45 AM - 16 August, 2014
So, we're about 9 months and 5 versions ahead on this. I don't see any progress in the release notes. Perhaps you can justify changing button behaviour and assignments with your own rationale. But rendering them useless isn't acceptable by any rationale.
djstefy74 8:59 PM - 18 August, 2014
Hi guys,any news about the vfx1 functions and the Vci300 scroll function in the 1.7 beta?
djstefy74 8:59 PM - 18 August, 2014
Hi guys,any news about the vfx1 functions and the Vci300 scroll function in the 1.7 beta?
FabulousFrequencies 9:59 PM - 18 August, 2014
Stefy,

Please start your own help request. Thank you.
KmanSanders 11:20 PM - 8 September, 2014
I am also having midi issues with the VFX-1. I can't midi map anything on the controller and it doesn't come up in the midi device section of the setup menu.
KmanSanders 12:18 AM - 10 September, 2014
This is what I've been told by Serato's David Wood...

the Vestax VFX-1 is a natively supported controller and can't be MIDI mapped in Serato DJ,

I asked him why I could map it in Scratch live but not Serato DJ and he said this:

"That was because so of the Select FX options were not mapped however in Serato DJ it is mapped to the User 1,2,3 now so it is completely native. If you wish to MIDI map other features you'll need to use a 3rd party MIDI device."

Pretty frustrating I gotta say. Why would they map it and not give you any options to change it?
FabulousFrequencies 11:50 PM - 20 October, 2014
Quote:
This is what I've been told by Serato's David Wood...

the Vestax VFX-1 is a natively supported controller and can't be MIDI mapped in Serato DJ,

I asked him why I could map it in Scratch live but not Serato DJ and he said this:

"That was because so of the Select FX options were not mapped however in Serato DJ it is mapped to the User 1,2,3 now so it is completely native. If you wish to MIDI map other features you'll need to use a 3rd party MIDI device."

Pretty frustrating I gotta say. Why would they map it and not give you any options to change it?

Perhaps someone should inform David Wood that the NATIVE mapping is BROKEN, has been broken, we're being ignored, Vestax is being blown off, and none of the vfx-1 users that bother to be verbal about it are happy. Tired of excuses and politics from this ridiculous company.
Sr Ortegon 11:21 PM - 28 October, 2014
I still using itch because of all of these inconvinients.

Itch is stable and perfect for vci 300 and vfx 1
viper9711 7:14 PM - 23 November, 2014
Hey Serato Team,

as described herein, the controller is practically useless with Serato DJ.
Could you create a way so that it is freely programmable? (not native for SDJ)
I think that would be a simply way for you. You don´t have to spend time to create a new mapping for SDJ.
Means Itch users can use it as programmed and SDJ users can make their own mappings as they like.
What do you think about that?
viper9711 8:26 PM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey FabulousFrequncies,

Thanks for your patience. Our Team has had this conversation with you previously, and at this point it is in the hands of the Product Team and how they will be prioritizing the VFX-1.

Cheers

Mak T

What about this post? It´s from Nov.2013 :(
FabulousFrequencies 2:47 AM - 28 November, 2014
They're ignorant, and frankly; Insulting. If Vestax paid to have support baked into DJ then Vestax should be reading them the riot act right now. Native support has been broken for over a year. I have an NI unit that would map my way back to functionality, but not my Serato controller? That is utterly disgraceful. How we are being 'prioritized' by the product development team is also disgraceful.
Mr Goldfingers 11:41 PM - 14 December, 2014
Yep - that's why when SDJ first came out for the 300, I tried it once... realized all the "fun" functionality of the dyanmic duo (300 + FX1) had been stripped or is non-functional. Went back to itch and never looked back.
FabulousFrequencies 11:58 PM - 14 December, 2014
Never fear Mr Goldfingers. The product development team is all over it! LOL!
FabulousFrequencies 1:58 AM - 15 December, 2014
I was just informed that this forum is closed to new threads. We have been abandoned. Please direct all support requests to the Serato dead letter office.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:09 AM - 15 December, 2014
You haven't been abandoned guys, it's just that our support systems have changed.

Apologies that this thread hasn't had much love lately, but I'm afraid Mak's statement still stands in that re-mapping the VFX-1 is a decision in the hands of the Products team.

I can assure you we are not a 'dead letter office'. There is no new information for this particular issue sorry.

Aaron
FabulousFrequencies 2:14 AM - 15 December, 2014
This thread hasn't had any love since: Mak T 7:51 PM - 11 November, 2013

How is this excusable, Aaron? And what good is any support chain if the answer is always 'We don't know', 'I'm not sure', and 'They're working on it' ? This is nonsense and unethical.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:18 AM - 15 December, 2014
I hear you man, but I'm not quite sure how else we could deal with an issue for which there is no new information to share.

This particular thread seems to have slightly slipped through the cracks when Mak left the support team. Apologies for this, but I'm here now. I'll have another chat with the Products team to see if I can share anything else with you on this.

Aaron
FabulousFrequencies 10:10 PM - 15 December, 2014
They fixed the latch switch, FYI. But the operation is backwards from the OEM operation. And there are other bugs i've found since installing the most recent version last night. This is a mess, Aaron.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:24 AM - 16 December, 2014
Oh dear - bugs specific to the VFX-1? Let me know what they are and I'll try reproduce so I can log them up.

There are a number of devices that were mapped differently for Serato DJ, but our hope was they were improvements. Sorry if you've said this all before, but could you give me a run-down on what specifically you think should be changed?

Cheers
FabulousFrequencies 2:25 AM - 16 December, 2014
The vfx-1 & the vci-300. Who exactly on that team thinks that porting a controller over to an improved platform merits changing native mapping?

NOTE: ESPECIALLY when the original features are present in the new platform.

This is like making a new car and deciding the brake pedal is going to do something else now. If the new car has a set of brakes, it should probably be assigned to the brakes. If you got rid of the brakes and needed to do *something* with the pedal, I could understand. But that is not the case here. Here's an example, we'll just use one:

FLANGER SELECTED:

VFX-1, MOD layer A.

ITCH - Scroll Assigned to - LFO % (range 0-100)
SDJ - Scroll Assigned to - DELAY ms (range .20-12)

VFX-1, MOD layer B.

ITCH - PUSH & scroll Assigned to - DELAY ms (range 0.5-10)
SDJ - PUSH & scroll Assigned to - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (Push changes feedback type)

VFX-1, BEAT ROTARY KNOB.

ITCH:

1/8 = 1/8
1/6 = 1/6
1/2 = 1/2
3/4 = 3/4
1 = 1/1
3/2 = 3/2
2 = 2/1
4 = 4/1
8 = 8/1
x1 = 16/1
x2 = 32/1

SDJ:

1/8 = 1/8
1/6 = 1/8 (LOL)
1/2 = 1/2
3/4 = 1/2D
1 = 1
3/2 = 1D
2 = 2
4 = 4
8 = 8
x1 = 8 (And again..)
x2 = 8 (We having fun yet?)

How on earth, good Sirs, is this 'an improvement' ? These are not things I 'think' should be changed; They're broken. I been here long enough to know how that sort of language is put out there to politically absolve anyone of responsibility. The word is broken. Not changes, improvements, thoughts, or what anyone feels; It's broken. If I use a mouse I can access all the flanger settings I can using the VFX-1 in ITCH; On SDJ. That's called broken.

LATCH OFF = LATCH ON
LATCH ON = LATCH OFF

These are sliders with silk screening. All ya have to do is read it.

Is it really productive to ask me to sit here all night and dissect these things when your team has the equipment, software, and job descriptions that get them paid to figure all this out? Plug one in, go through each mode and parameter, write down the cause/effect and compare to the new software.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:00 AM - 16 December, 2014
Thanks for that man, really appreciate the effort.

I can see some things in there that have to be different due to the differing options between ITCH and SDJ, but globally you are right. It's not great at all.

We did start to look into this some time ago, but other things came along that squeezed it aside. The fact we haven't continued to hear from people also contributed to it dropping off the radar. I'm not trying to make excuses here, just want you to know the reasons why we haven't sorted this already.

We are always open to solid suggestions as to how we can improve things though, especially mapping since we have improved our processes for working in this area. I'm going to have a good chat with the Products team about what our options are from here.

Cheers,
Aaron
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:41 AM - 19 December, 2014
Hi FabulousFrequencies.

Sorry you've been frustrated. I've attempted to answer your questions/issues here, and we do always listen to our users - you are what makes Serato good!

Because the effects in Serato DJ are completely re-written and follow a general schema that has 4 buttons and 4 knobs, there will be some legacy hardware that doesn’t perfectly map compared to their ITCH mappings. The VFX-1 is an example of this.

There are also some hardware limitations - some of the controls don’t send the correct type of messages.

We aimed to be as close to the original mapping as possible but to map to the new software there were some compromises to be made.

I’ll comment on your feedback below:

Quote:
VFX-1, MOD layer A.

ITCH - Scroll Assigned to - LFO % (range 0-100)
SDJ - Scroll Assigned to - DELAY ms (range .20-12)

The mappings for the VFX were as follows:

DEPTH in Single FX Mode = Knob 1 (this normally controls the effect depth).
MOD turn in Single FX Mode= Knob 2 (this controls the second knob in the effect unit, in Flangers case, it’s the Delay.)

Quote:
VFX-1, MOD layer B.

ITCH - PUSH & scroll Assigned to - DELAY ms (range 0.5-10)
SDJ - PUSH & scroll Assigned to - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (Push changes feedback type)

MOD push in Single FX Mode = Button 2 (in this case this is Feedback type)

There is no push and turn for the VFX-1 in Serato DJ sorry when in single mode.

This was to allow Multi Mode to be more powerful - allowing users to use the first two effects in this mode:

MOD turn = Effect Slot 2 Depth
MOD push = Effect Slot 2 On

Quote:
VFX-1, BEAT ROTARY KNOB.
SDJ:

1/8 = 1/8
1/6 = 1/8 (LOL)
1/4 = 1/4
1/2 = 1/2
3/4 = 1/2D
1 = 1
3/2 = 1D
2 = 2
4 = 4
8 = 8
x1 = 8 (And again..)
x2 = 8 (We having fun yet?)

There is no 1/6 in SDJ.
1/2D is 3/4 timing.
1D is 3/2 timing.
x1 and x2 look to be broken and we can fix this.

Quote:
LATCH OFF = LATCH ON
LATCH ON = LATCH OFF

From the VFX-1 manual:
LATCH: Move the SLIDE SWITCH up to select Latch (Normal) Mode.

This also features the Latched LED light to indicate if the hardware is latched or not.

We are always keen to listen to feedback and suggestions, so while I’ve added some reasons above, these aren’t necessarily the best thing possible and as always we are interested in user feedback.

Remember to take into account the two effect modes with suggestions.

Cheers!
Matt
FabulousFrequencies 1:00 AM - 23 December, 2014
Quote:
Because the effects in Serato DJ are completely re-written and follow a general schema that has 4 buttons and 4 knobs, there will be some legacy hardware that doesn’t perfectly map compared to their ITCH mappings. The VFX-1 is an example of this.

Doesn't that there fancy Pio-thingy SX have 4 buttons and 4 knobs? Doesn't this just fuel speculation that you dropped the ball on your current vendors to court Pioneer? That timing isn't coincidental by any stretch.

Your commentary on the MOD parameter knobs doesn't address they key point that the ITCH adjustable parameters assigned in ITCH do exist in SDJ, they're simply not the same assignments any more. I can literally re-create my FX in SDJ but I am forced to use a mouse. Perhaps you missed that. I can still adjust the ITCH parameters, in SDJ, if I use a MOUSE. Conversely, I can plug in and map a non-native controller? What sort of madness is that? These parameters didn't vanish, my knobs didn't vanish; Seratos attention to detail vanished.

Quote:
MOD turn in Single FX Mode= Knob 2 (this controls the second knob in the effect unit, in Flangers case, it’s the Delay.)

You should really go plug one in and use it. It controls what I said it controls. And that is exactly how my work flow and all other vfx-1 users work flow (verbal here, or not) was developed in ITCH and is now train wrecked by SDJ; For over a year now.

Quote:
There is no 1/6 in SDJ.

Assign it to 1/8D then or the Easter Bunny. But don't just let it sit there are do more of the same.

Quote:
1/2D is 3/4 timing.
1D is 3/2 timing.

I know what these are, the list is being copied verbatim for accuracy purposes. If I were only listing problem selections, the list would be shorter.

Quote:
From the VFX-1 manual:
LATCH: Move the SLIDE SWITCH up to select Latch (Normal) Mode.

From the mental manual of a VFX-1 / ITCH user:

Paper manuals have misprints and it does not work this way in ITCH. Nor does the silkscreen on the deck suggest it does. Does anyone in that office actually use a VFX-1 ?

I'm sorry, but all your reply did was aggravate me and reaffirm suspicions that you sold Vestax out to court the Samsung of DJ controllers. When you bring politics into Business you burn bridges. I'm done with this merry go round. I'm only sorry that I was forced to own a Serato license with my purchase. Good luck to you kids, and Happy Holidays!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:36 AM - 23 December, 2014
Again - we aren't trying to aggravate you here.

However I have tried to explain the reasons why things ended up the way they are.

I'm still keen to hear your suggested mappings - please let me know, if they hold up and don't cause any other issues with mappings, we'd be happy to look into changing things if other users also like them too.
Sr Ortegon 8:35 PM - 17 January, 2015
I still stick to "Itch". nothing to do with "Serato dj" if you're using the vestal and its fx controller.
Mr Goldfingers 6:32 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
I still stick to "Itch". nothing to do with "Serato dj" if you're using the vestal and its fx controller.

+1