DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Apple Power Supply?

slimmjimm 6:24 PM - 2 November, 2013
How are you guys keeping your Apple power supplies going? I seem to go thru one a year, I don't wrap it tight or funky, and I always seem to get a kink at the end of the computer side by the brick, which ultimately breaks the wire inside. It seems like it needs some better strain relief.
phatbob 6:55 PM - 2 November, 2013
The more recent ones with the right angle MagSafe seem to have that better strain relief on them, plus the design is generally better.

I've had zero issues with any of those, whereas the older ones were very flaky.
slimmjimm 7:53 PM - 2 November, 2013
Quote:
The more recent ones with the right angle MagSafe seem to have that better strain relief on them, plus the design is generally better.

It's not the magsafe to computer connection where I'm having the problem, but I agree, the older ones were horrid. My problem is on the opposite end of the wire, near the actual power supply housing.
DJMark 9:38 PM - 2 November, 2013
Quote:
My problem is on the opposite end of the wire, near the actual power supply housing.

If you keep at least a couple loops of the cable around those pop-out things, and make sure the cord is coming out of the power-supply pretty much straight (not pulled at an angle) that helps a lot. I've seen a lot of failures due to that cord getting strained.
Logisticalstyles 2:17 PM - 4 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It's not the magsafe to computer connection where I'm having the problem, but I agree, the older ones were horrid. My problem is on the opposite end of the wire, near the actual power supply housing.

I'm going through the same thing right now.
AustinG 3:38 PM - 4 November, 2013
www.apartmenttherapy.com

I used to go through one every 6 months until I started wrapping correctly.
phatbob 4:53 PM - 4 November, 2013
Quote:
www.apartmenttherapy.com

I used to go through one every 6 months until I started wrapping correctly.

That might well be it; I've never had any problems at that end of the cable myself, but then I've always wrapped it with that 'pigtail'.
slimmjimm 6:47 PM - 4 November, 2013
I'll try that out, even though I'm not in the habit of using the winders, i just loop and velcro (similar to xlr cables) But I still think it needs proper stress relief. I think on the next one, I might try and fashion on out of some spare spring and clear heat shrink.

Has anyone tried the generic ones on ebay? They're obviously all made in China, I might try one out. Anyone know if the actual computer itself has some type of shutoff if it's not receiving the correct volt/amp/watts etc?
djnak 7:13 PM - 4 November, 2013
never had any issues with any in years although a couple years ago the A/v guy gave me shit for the way I was wrapping it up...so I now wrap it "properly"
RANDYG 12:42 AM - 5 November, 2013
I went through three on my first MacBook with the original "thick" style magsafe connector. I have had the same on my MacBook pro for almost three years now. Also, this unit was not made for the rigors of DJ use no matter how well you take care of it. Eventually, it will fail. Apple wants those dollars!
DJ Remy USA 2:18 PM - 5 November, 2013
Cable wrapping issue I never had issues with my power supply failing or accelerated wear and tear.
slimmjimm 4:45 PM - 5 November, 2013
Quote:
Cable wrapping issue I never had issues with my power supply failing or accelerated wear and tear.

How is everyone (who is NOT) using the ears wrapping their cable? I loop the AC cord, then I loop the brick/comp side cord and velco together.
Logisticalstyles 9:10 PM - 5 November, 2013
Up until recently, I was getting Facebook ads for a red adaptor that you could attach to the power brick to avoid the broken cables. It was 20 bucks if I remember correctly. Now that I need it I don't see the ads anymore. Damn.
DJ Remy USA 10:59 PM - 5 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

How is everyone (who is NOT) using the ears wrapping their cable? I loop the AC cord, then I loop the brick/comp side cord and velco together.

wrap the cable where the stress is one the actual loop and not at the point of wear. I use the over under method when wrapping.

Watchwww.youtube.com

always done it this way works long term
PumpkinHead 5:43 PM - 6 November, 2013
@DJ Remy USA
I can't believe there's actually a video for that. But I'm for it nonetheless, I'll be using that technique from now on.
Logisticalstyles 8:27 PM - 9 November, 2013
Here's that adaptor I was talking about:

www.thefrayfix.com
slimmjimm 10:09 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:

www.thefrayfix.com

AWESOME! Thats perfect. Thx.
Logisticalstyles 11:35 PM - 9 November, 2013
No problem, I just ordered one myself.
Dj Shamann 10:10 PM - 13 November, 2013
I had a major annoyance with this cord that has lead to further problems. I don't wrap the magsafe, never have and keep it in decent enough surroundings, one day I plug in my MBP and can't hold a charge, jiggle it a bit and it works. problem persists the next day so I look at the cord and it's frayed.

I don't know how, but I suspect the cord got swapped a few nights ago by a DJ I was working with (intentional or not I don't know). What happens next? The thing catches on fire!

I take it to Apple store like WTF and they tell me I'm passed warranty so they can't do anything, I tell him to look at the burnt to shit rubber and say "imagine the lawsuits"?

They give me a brand new one. take it home, doesn't charge. I take a look at the connection port and realize it was scorched in the process of the "fire". So now I've got an MBP that only holds a charge when the wind blows in the direction of its liking. Worst thing is when it's connected, it won't tell you that the battery is draining, so no little warning sign in Serato, just boom and powered down on me one night.

Anyway, my little rant aside, I have an MBP 17", late 2011, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm with me that the family number is a1297. I've been trying to track down a dc-in board to fix this, but I have yet to see one that I know for sure is compatible with my model. If i take it in to Apple you know they're going to tell me it's the logic board rather than what it really is.
slimmjimm 7:03 PM - 17 November, 2013
Update:

Got my Fray Fix. It's exactly what I needed, and I so far (one day of use)I recommend it. It's made from a silicone, and has enough stress relief for normal wrapping. I bought the "set" which is for the power supply, and the computer end. I'm not sure if they are out of ends for the Magsafe adapter, but I received 2 of the "brick" end pieces, one of them having the bottom "loop" cut of, and writing on it showing me where to cut for the Magsafe end. I didn't put that end on. I haven't had a problem with the Magsafe side of the power cords since they switched over.

Installation was kinda of DIY, they give you some tape, toothpicks and lube. Basically you tape a toothpick onto the end of the Magsafe, and lube it up to slide through the stress relief, it worked, but seemed kind of weird to have a nice manufactured protector, but putting it on MacGyver style. The end result is what I'm after, so I'll let it slide. We'll see if the silicone holds up to being thrown on a bag with laptop stands and scan converters etc. flopping around. It's still a deal for $10 and not having your power supply dump out at 11:30 right before peak hour, and way after an Apple store or Best Buy is closed.
Logisticalstyles 10:00 PM - 17 November, 2013
Damn, I placed my order right after I posted the link and I haven't got mine yet. I'm glad it worked out for you. Hopefully mine shows up tomorrow. I didn't get the Magsafe end because I haven't had any issues with that part, but I may pick it up if I'm happy with the brick piece.
slimmjimm 10:53 PM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
Damn, I placed my order right after I posted the link and I haven't got mine yet. I'm glad it worked out for you. Hopefully mine shows up tomorrow. I didn't get the Magsafe end because I haven't had any issues with that part, but I may pick it up if I'm happy with the brick piece.

I really wouldn't waste your time on the other end, Apple really seemed to improve it with the new style. I just got mine yesterday, I wouldn't sweat it.
Shazam01 7:07 PM - 30 November, 2013
I just ordered The Fray fix based on this thread. It's perfect. Haven't gotten it yet but wondering how it's working out for you guys so far. Any complaints or issues I should look out for? You known when they say "if it seems too good to be true..."
DJ Remix Detroit 9:35 PM - 30 November, 2013
en.wikipedia.org

my magsafe power supply almost caught fire last week. i see that this is a huge problem that looks to be a product of faulty design by apple.

im gonna take mine up to the apple store and see if i can make a big enough fuss for them to replace it.
djkurve 11:52 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:

www.thefrayfix.com

+1! Just ordered one!
Dj Shamann 11:57 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
my magsafe power supply almost caught fire last week. i see that this is a huge problem that looks to be a product of faulty design by apple.

Read my story from a couple of posts up, mine actually did. Switch that sucker right away.

Quote:
I had a major annoyance with this cord that has lead to further problems. I don't wrap the magsafe, never have and keep it in decent enough surroundings, one day I plug in my MBP and can't hold a charge, jiggle it a bit and it works. problem persists the next day so I look at the cord and it's frayed.

I don't know how, but I suspect the cord got swapped a few nights ago by a DJ I was working with (intentional or not I don't know). What happens next? The thing catches on fire!

I take it to Apple store like WTF and they tell me I'm passed warranty so they can't do anything, I tell him to look at the burnt to shit rubber and say "imagine the lawsuits"?

They give me a brand new one. take it home, doesn't charge. I take a look at the connection port and realize it was scorched in the process of the "fire". So now I've got an MBP that only holds a charge when the wind blows in the direction of its liking. Worst thing is when it's connected, it won't tell you that the battery is draining, so no little warning sign in Serato, just boom and powered down on me one night.

Anyway, my little rant aside, I have an MBP 17", late 2011, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm with me that the family number is a1297. I've been trying to track down a dc-in board to fix this, but I have yet to see one that I know for sure is compatible with my model. If i take it in to Apple you know they're going to tell me it's the logic board rather than what it really is.

I believe there was a class action lawsuit, don't go in there boldly threatening them, but give them the "imagine if" like I did and you'll probably get a new one.
Logisticalstyles 1:39 PM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
I just ordered The Fray fix based on this thread. It's perfect. Haven't gotten it yet but wondering how it's working out for you guys so far. Any complaints or issues I should look out for? You known when they say "if it seems too good to be true..."

So far so good. It was easy to apply and the cord is more than adequately protected. I've got no complaints.
phatbob 1:59 PM - 1 December, 2013
A couple of things to add here; I had 2 that went bad, fraying or melting or whatnot, and I second the advice that you should just go into the Apple Store, be nice and friendly, and the staff are likely to help you out. I had both replaced free, out of warranty.

Another thing to look out for is to make sure you don't accidentally use the lower rated power supplies with the machines that need bigger ones. It's ok to use a 65w with a 15" MBP for general tasks, but if you are hammering CPU intensive stuff then the 65w can't handle it, and will get WAY too hot.

Only one I ever melted was for that reason; left a Compressor encode running overnight and melted the MagSafe.
DJ Remix Detroit 11:53 PM - 9 December, 2013
came across this: support.apple.com

i called apple support and they are going to replace my power supply out of warranty.

i'm def going to invest in the fray fix for my 13" & 17".