DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Getting lasers through airport security

PatientBear 12:07 PM - 31 October, 2013
Is it possible? I wanted to pack two lasers as carry ons but wondered if I'd run jnto issues. Anyone have any experience with this?
eugguy 12:12 PM - 31 October, 2013
You will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
SeriousCyrus 2:01 PM - 31 October, 2013
lol. They should just count as electronics, I don't have lasers, but my backpack has been searched many times at security due to the range of electronics I like to carry, if they're ok to go through the xray machine, you should be fine, all they do is unpack the bag and put all the items again through one by one.
Mr. Goodkat 8:51 PM - 31 October, 2013
might be a bad idea though. theres been a few stories about people using them to blind pilots from the ground. and while you are flying, you never know how those tsa agents are gonna act. they might say nothing, they might trip.

www.cnn.com

www.cnn.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:15 PM - 31 October, 2013
Lasers as in PENLIGHT lasers, or DJ lasers, like mounted on a truss and / or needing 120 volts?
Mr. Goodkat 2:09 AM - 1 November, 2013
probably meant dj lasers, but still, that nsa isnt the brightest govt agency as we all know. they might think he has some futuristic weapon.
DJ Reflex 3:09 AM - 1 November, 2013
As I've said before on this forum... lasers are a tricky animal to tame. Even small, DJ lasers like Chauvet or others still come with quite a few regulations. While most sales outlets, venues, and DJs have no idea what type of regulations govern lasers, the FDA has about a 150 page manual that describes (in detail) what kind of lasers you can buy, transport, and properly use in public.

I'm not the expert on getting lasers through the airport, but just know that they do come with some hefty regulations for use. The bright side is that these rules are not regularly enforced due to lack of staff (laser police). You'd have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to have your stuff confiscated and fined.

If the are under 5 mw, you should be fine. Those do not need any variances.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:20 AM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
probably meant dj lasers, but still, that nsa isnt the brightest govt agency as we all know. they might think he has some futuristic weapon.

Chances are, they won't even KNOW it's a laser, vs. some type of disco globe light, but they WILL test it for drugs and explosive residue, and run it through an X-Ray machine.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 PM - 1 November, 2013
they're generally marked laser due to regulations, so unless they can't read, i think they might just figure it out.
slimmjimm 7:46 PM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
they're generally marked laser due to regulations, so unless they can't read, i think they might just figure it out.

I think you're giving some people at the TSA a bit too much credit.
CMOS 7:50 PM - 1 November, 2013
Please say "Fricking Lazer Beams" when they ask what it is.
DJ Reflex 4:35 AM - 2 November, 2013
Ill-tempered sea bass?

Quote:
RobDJ dotcom 4:02 PM - 2 November, 2013
Quote:

ROFL

Maybe if you've not got a hard on for federal holding you just don't do things that have a healthy potential of getting you there. Like trying to take "fricking lazer beams", or snakes, on a plane. If you need them where you're going just ship them. Insure them so that if the postal dip$hits break 'em they'll have to buy you some new ones. Or if you really feel like you need your "fricking lazer beams" to travel with you pad em up good in a suitcase and hope. I think you'd have better luck smuggling narcotics by the kilo in your carry on than getting "fricking lazers" through security.
SeriousCyrus 11:30 PM - 2 November, 2013
I reckon the kind of laser he hopes to take on board requires a plug, and therefore obviously useless for blinding the pilots.

While there may be a ton of regs regarding laser use, i doubt there's much stopping you from transporting consumer grade lasers around.
RobDJ dotcom 3:15 PM - 4 November, 2013
I really doubt lasers were getting on a plane last week. After that shooting at LAX I'd send this one to Myth Busters cause I don't think it's possible.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:07 PM - 4 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Chances are, they won't even KNOW it's a laser, vs. some type of disco globe light, but they WILL test it for drugs.

Lets all hope his lazer isnt on meth!
RobDJ dotcom 5:49 PM - 4 November, 2013
Quote:
Lets all hope his lazer isnt on meth!

ROFL
That's what I'm talkin about!!!
CMOS 9:01 PM - 4 November, 2013
Cmon people.......... "Fricking Lazers". Get it right!!!!
DouggyFresh 7:22 AM - 11 November, 2013
Must be a Major Lazer...
RobDJ dotcom 3:50 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Must be a Major Lazer...

Saw some of his stuff on Clubland. Still deciding if I love it or hate it. Also saw Diplo there and I'm pretty sure I love that Dubstep style booty song. Feels like a new flavor of old Miami Booty Bass and I'd LOVE to see a movement like that!