Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SDJ 1.5.1.6 crash on my Mac

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Rhadesh 12:32 AM - 25 October, 2013
when i turn on the power of my ddj sx the software crashes.
I will send my report....

MacBook Pro
Retina, 2012
Processador 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memória 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Placa gráfica Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

PS: Never add problems with SDJ 1.3
12:36 AM, 25 Oct 2013
Rhadesh attached a file: SDJ.docx
Download· Permalink
1:03 AM, 25 Oct 2013
Rhadesh attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-10-22-195042_MacBook-Pro-de-Sergio.crash
Download· Permalink
1:04 AM, 25 Oct 2013
Rhadesh attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-10-23-191032_MacBook-Pro-de-Sergio.crash
Download· Permalink
Rhadesh 11:27 AM - 25 October, 2013
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:05 AM - 28 October, 2013
Hi Rhadesh,

If you re install 1.3 do you still have the problem?
Get that here - serato.com

If you open the program first does it stay open, without crashing and load your library?

Thanks for the crash reports. Can you let me know if you have removed all corrupt files from your library?

Also try renaming the _Serato_ folder and let me know if that allows you to load the program with the controller connected.

Follow these steps -

Close all Serato Applications
Rename _Serato_ folder to _Serato_old (Don't worry about the backup folder)
Open Serato DJ
This will create a new _Serato_ folder in your "My Music" folder and create a blank template with no crates or any other stored information.

To regain information as you left it
Close Serato DJ
Trash new _Serato_ folder
Rename _Serato_Old back to _Serato_
Open Serato DJ
Everything should be back to normal.

Matt P
Rhadesh 8:21 AM - 28 October, 2013
Thanks Matt,
I will try this and than give you my feedback and answer your questions....
Rhadesh 1:59 PM - 29 October, 2013
Matt P

I've tried your suggestion (Follow these steps) without success. the same problem occurred.

=answering the above questions=

1 - i don't have any problems when reinstalling SDJ 1.3

2 - i don't have any problems using the software with DDJ-SX powered off.

3 - i don't have any corrupt file.

Rhadesh
Rhadesh 1:47 PM - 30 October, 2013
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:28 PM - 30 October, 2013
Hi Rhadesh,

Can you upload the crash report you are getting with 1.5.1?

Let me know if you have already updated your firmware for the DDJSX too

You can get that here - pioneerdj.com

Regards

Matt P
Rhadesh 9:58 AM - 31 October, 2013
Matt P

i already did that..... you are not helping me.....
of course i already tried everything that was written in the forums, if not, I had not asked for help........

I need solutions here.........

Of course i already update the firmware........ and the report is exactly the same....

First you (Serato ) told me to open a help request, and now make me the same questions that you made to people with the same problem ...... so, why open a help request?

I am a Serato lover, I bought Serato and a new Mac, you release a new update and I'll not be able to use the program. it makes no sense to me. You should be the first to be concerned. Soon you will launch the 1.6 and you guys still have not solved the problems of the people who were the first to buy the Serato with the DDJ-sx.

You are not helping me making the same questions that have already made to people with the same problem ....

There was someone with the same problem that is already solved??????????
Serato, Support
Matt P 4:57 PM - 31 October, 2013
Hi Rhadesh,

I understand you are frustrated. I have to ask you similar questions to eliminate things from scenario. If you don't volunteer that information, I cant assume you've done it already.

I need you to follow the questions, and provide the answers ie: I still need a crash report from you.

Its not really a good use of either of our time to speculate how Serato are planning updates, so lets just try and get some results here :) and try to figure out why you are having this unique problem.

Can you tell me if you have USB3.0 ports? Have you tried basic things like switching out usb cables and compared with other DDJSX units?

Thanks for your patience

Matt P
9:52 AM, 5 Nov 2013
Rhadesh attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-11-04-192317_MacBook-Pro-de-Sergio.crash
Download· Permalink
9:53 AM, 5 Nov 2013
Rhadesh attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-11-04-192353_MacBook-Pro-de-Sergio.crash
Download· Permalink
Rhadesh attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-11-04-192411_MacBook-Pro-de-Sergio.crash
Download· Permalink
Rhadesh attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-11-04-193436_MacBook-Pro-de-Sergio.crash
Download· Permalink
Rhadesh 10:02 AM - 5 November, 2013
i just put my Mac specifications and just have 3.0 usb ports.
i tried different cables and different usb ports.... the same append......
i don't now anyone that as a DDJ-sx to try but THE SDJ 1.3 NEVER CRASHED on me!!!

what do you mean with "....you are having this unique problem." ? I saw that there are other people (in forum) with the exact same problem.....
Rhadesh 10:02 AM - 5 November, 2013
i just put my Mac specifications and just have 3.0 usb ports.
i tried different cables and different usb ports.... the same append......
i don't now anyone that as a DDJ-sx to try but THE SDJ 1.3 NEVER CRASHED on me!!!

what do you mean with "....you are having this unique problem." ? I saw that there are other people (in forum) with the exact same problem.....
Rhadesh 10:38 AM - 5 November, 2013
why i don't have nothing inside MIDI/XML folder? I can't find the AUTO_SAVE.xml

Is there a way to do a fresh install like it was the first time i install SERATO or clean every thing from Serato and than reinstall it...??????????
Rhadesh 8:42 AM - 6 November, 2013
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Rhadesh 3:16 PM - 6 November, 2013
HELP PLEASE, HELP!!!!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:08 PM - 7 November, 2013
Hey Rhadesh

This is quite a tricky issue. I can see from your crash logs that you are having exactly the same kind of crash each time, on both OS X 10.8.5 and 10.9

Given that SDJ 1.3 works fine for you and 1.5.1 crashes, there is clearly something very odd going on. Can you please tell me which was the first version of Serato DJ you installed for your DDJ-SX?

If possible, could you please upload videos of you successfully running Serato DJ 1.3 and also of Serato DJ 1.5.1 crashing. There may be some key information I can glean from seeing what happens. I have also logged your crash reports so they can be analysed by our development team.

Cheers
Aaron
Rhadesh 8:27 AM - 8 November, 2013
Thanks Aaron E

I bought the DDJ-sx in the first month of release. so I think it was the first release of SDJ.
I will confirm this later.

I will make the videos as soon as possible....
LJuarez 5:43 AM - 9 November, 2013
i am having the exact same issues, the original version that came with ddj-sx worked perfectly! but, as soon as i "upgraded" to 1.5 SDJ has been crashing unexpectedly!
LJuarez 5:45 AM - 9 November, 2013
There is something wrong with the new software upgrade not our MacBooks!!!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:33 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
There is something wrong with the new software upgrade not our MacBooks!!!

Given that well over 99% of users running a DDJ-SX with Serato DJ 1.5.1 are not having any issues, would you care to provide me with the data you are using to quantify this statement?

Please open your own help request and someone will look into your situation for you.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:34 PM - 10 November, 2013
@Rhadesh

Thanks for the info. Yes please upload some videos as soon as you are able. I am keen to take a look at what is happening.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:11 AM - 14 November, 2013
Hi Rhadesh (and others)

We believe we have an avenue to explore with this. We did a lot of work for Serato DJ 1.5 with how we connect to MIDI devices. We made many many improvements and one of them was to be stricter about the device name as given to us by the device driver. Without going into too much detail, the main result of this is that it's now much faster to connect a MIDI device to Serato DJ.

We are 99% confident that your Pioneer DDJ-SX will be providing an accurate device name, but there is most likely another MIDI device you have connected (not necessarily at the same time) which is being registered by Serato DJ, but is providing an incorrect device name due to the manufacturer's driver being corrupt.

Firstly, if you have any other MIDI devices connected at the same time as the DDJ-SX, please disconnect it/them and then test again. If you don't have any connected or this doesn't resolve the issue, then please go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup, click on the Window drop down and select MIDI window. Delete all of the devices in there and test connecting the DDJ-SX to SDJ again (this won't have any effect on being able to use any of them again, they will work fine the next time you plug them in).

It's important you delete all of them in the first instance. If this works, you can then start adding the devices back one by one to see which one is causing the issue. Let me know if this doesn't help and we may need to set up a remote session to see what's going on in your machine.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Aaron
Rhadesh 8:24 AM - 14 November, 2013
OK Aaron,

I will try this and give you feedback....
The video you asked to do, I have not done because I have a camera that records poorly.....

next week I'll buy an iPad Retina, if the experience above does not work I will do the video next Monday or Tuesday....

Cheers
Asu 8:49 AM - 14 November, 2013
i have 1.5.1 installed on the exact spec Macbook pro,no issues...you may wanna zap the whole Serato app first with app zapper....that's what i did.

Install 1.5.1,then reboot your Mac...should work fine after that.

you can also have both 1.3 and 1.5.1 installed. 1.3 first then install 1.5.1 and just click keep both that way you can test 1.5.1 and gig with 1.3 until you're sure of 1.5.1

make sure you install 1.5.1 not the beta 1.5.1.6

i did an 8hr set last Saturday with 1.5.1 with video too on 4Gigs of Ram with no issues...gonna upgrade to 8GB though,cheers
Rhadesh 10:40 AM - 15 November, 2013
Hi Aaron E

Quote:
Hi Rhadesh (and others)

We believe we have an avenue to explore with this. We did a lot of work for Serato DJ 1.5 with how we connect to MIDI devices. We made many many improvements and one of them was to be stricter about the device name as given to us by the device driver. Without going into too much detail, the main result of this is that it's now much faster to connect a MIDI device to Serato DJ.

We are 99% confident that your Pioneer DDJ-SX will be providing an accurate device name, but there is most likely another MIDI device you have connected (not necessarily at the same time) which is being registered by Serato DJ, but is providing an incorrect device name due to the manufacturer's driver being corrupt.

Firstly, if you have any other MIDI devices connected at the same time as the DDJ-SX, please disconnect it/them and then test again. If you don't have any connected or this doesn't resolve the issue, then please go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup, click on the Window drop down and select MIDI window. Delete all of the devices in there and test connecting the DDJ-SX to SDJ again (this won't have any effect on being able to use any of them again, they will work fine the next time you plug them in).

It's important you delete all of them in the first instance. If this works, you can then start adding the devices back one by one to see which one is causing the issue. Let me know if this doesn't help and we may need to set up a remote session to see what's going on in your machine.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Aaron

Good news..... :)

I went to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and saw all my midi devices, and a strange thing, don't now why but i had two ddj-sx devices installed. I cleaned everything, installed SDJ 1.5.1 and BINGO...... it worked perfectly for about 4 hours......
During these hours I tried everything to make it crash.
turned on effects on all 4 decks, play samples, loops, etc .... worked perfectly ....

Thanks Aaron, thank Serato, thank you Matt and thank you all for your patience .....

Serato will always be the best professional software in the world .... ;)

Cheers,
Rhadesh
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:34 PM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:

I went to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and saw all my midi devices, and a strange thing, don't now why but i had two ddj-sx devices installed. I cleaned everything, installed SDJ 1.5.1 and BINGO...... it worked perfectly for about 4 hours......
During these hours I tried everything to make it crash.
turned on effects on all 4 decks, play samples, loops, etc .... worked perfectly ....

Thanks Aaron, thank Serato, thank you Matt and thank you all for your patience .....

Serato will always be the best professional software in the world .... ;)

That's awesome news Rhadesh!

Thanks so much for reporting back, that's really valuable information for us. And thanks for your patience in getting it resolved, it must have been really frustrating for you.

So pleased to get it sorted for you, enjoy :D

Cheers
Aaron