DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

NEED HELP DECIDING WHICH SPEAKER TO BUY.

CalebLee 10:40 PM - 14 October, 2013
As of now I have 3 choices for which speakers I would like to buy (not in order) because I would like to become a mobile DJ. Try to ignore the pricing in your final decision.

1. Mackie SRM-650 1600W 15 HD Powered Loudspeaker (700$) (I think it is like 900 retail, but I found 700 at most placed)
2. B-52 ACTPRO-1515 Dual 15" Active Loudspeaker (750$)
3. Gemini GVX-215P Dual 15-Inch Powered Speaker (600$)

Here is what I want out of these speakers, power with clarity. Overall I want the sound to be the best. I want the speakers to be loud. I have one uniform concern with the Dual 15 inch speakers.. Is the bass going to overpower the single tweeter? I like bass, but there's a point where it is too much (overpowering the mids and highs), I've never heard a dual 15" speaker. Would this be a issue?

My second issue is, how would I elevate the Dual 15".. Would I use a stand? I'm not sure if the B-52 ACTPRO-1515 even has a speaker stand mount under it.

I love the style of the Mackie SRM-650, and I am interested in all the features it has like the SmartProtect DSP, EQs, Built-Like-A-Tank, HD processing, Driver Time alignment, phase correction, feedback destroyer, etc but I am wondering If I am paying for the features and not the speaker power. However a lot of those features are nice, like the ones helping audio quality etc.

Heres the SPL ratings for the three:
1. 133dB Mackie SRM-650
2. 134dB B-52 ACTPRO-1515
3. 136dB Gemini GVX-215P
-Most of those higher ones are probably going to be that high from the bass, which brings me back to the question, is there too much bass?

Today I sent Mackie this message, "Which speaker is louder, the Mackie HD1521 or the Mackie SRM-650? Also by how much decibels? I noticed that they have a Max SPL rating of 135dB (HD1521) and 133 dB (SRM-650). However I also noticed that the HD1521 only has a measured Max SPL of 125dB, which surprised me because the calculated Max SPL was 135dB, which would be like 2 times louder. So I am wondering if the Max SPL of the SRM-650 is really only like 123 dB. Also does this happen often with other speaker specs as well..? So like if there is another speaker from Brand X would it be just as loud as a speaker that is also rated at 133dB or 135dB? Thanks"
Which would again bring me to a new question, is there really that much power?

Overall, I need help deciding which speaker to buy. Again I want the most power with the best sound. I will accept other speaker ideas, just that personally from the research I have done these look to be good.

Most Important Questions:
1. What would you personally buy? (ignoring pricing)
2. From what I said, what would should I buy? (ignore pricing)
a. If you said the B-52 ACTPRO-1515 how should I elevate it

Here is where you can find specs for each speaker:
1. Mackie SRM-650 www.mackie.com

2. B-52 ACTPRO-1515 www.djgearforless.com

3. Gemini GVX-215P geminisound.com

Thanks -Caleb-
lvmez 11:11 PM - 14 October, 2013
Have you looked into the EV ZLX 15"? Something to consider.
CalebLee 11:21 PM - 14 October, 2013
Quote:
Have you looked into the EV ZLX 15"? Something to consider.

Honestly between that and the Mackie SRM-650 I would prefer the Mackie
latindj 11:21 PM - 14 October, 2013
there's a lot of help right up there in the left corner...under the search box ^^^^
CalebLee 11:42 PM - 14 October, 2013
I found the Electro-Voice ELX115P which is the same price as the Mackie. Not sure which one is better though.
Papa Midnight 11:46 PM - 14 October, 2013
If you're looking in that price range, just in my own personal opinion, you should go with the JBL PRX715.

Elswise, go Mackie.

Never go Gemini. Ever.
Papa Midnight 11:48 PM - 14 October, 2013
I retract my last statement. Get the JBL or go with QSC. Don't go Mackie.

Not unless they've stopped using cheap components and building B.S. (i.e.: Watchwww.youtube.com)

Either way, never go Gemini.
CalebLee 11:58 PM - 14 October, 2013
My end of my price range is about 750 for each speaker, so that would be out of the range. That might still be possible because lots of places these days have 6 or 12 month financing options.
DJ Reflex 12:04 AM - 15 October, 2013
^^ There had to be something wrong in that video. The signal light was not even blinking and the volume was barely up to 12:00. I suspect that the signal was too hot or shorted out somewhere. I don't have the sub, but my Mackies have never once shut down. And I pound them every week. I even had a power shortage once and they got real hot, but never shut down.
CalebLee 12:16 AM - 15 October, 2013
So should I go with the Electro-Voice ELX115P over the Mackies then?
DJ Reflex 12:40 AM - 15 October, 2013
I use Mackies, but I've heard better. Do a test of each. Are there any local stores that have these in stock? Will they let you listen before you buy? You can't go on specs and price... you have to hear what you like, then make your decision.
CalebLee 12:45 AM - 15 October, 2013
No, I don't have any stores nearby where I could do that.
CalebLee 12:50 AM - 15 October, 2013
Unless you think I should I go with something like a QSC K10, but the thing is, will that have enough bass. I go from thinking about getting 4 15" woofers to 2 10" woofers..
RobDJ dotcom 1:02 AM - 15 October, 2013
I'll be the third to say absolutely no Gemini. No no no no. I have a TON of Mackie gear (as well as JBL, EV, QSC, etc etc). I have NEVER had one single problem with any piece of Mackie gear. But... I have the 450's and I don't try to push them for lows. If I want lows I've got subs. Love my Mackies but have never tried the model you're listing.
Joee 1:10 AM - 15 October, 2013
1. Mackie SRM-650 1600W 15 HD Powered Loudspeaker (700$) (I think it is like 900 retail, but I found 700 at most placed)
2. B-52 ACTPRO-1515 Dual 15" Active Loudspeaker (750$)
3. Gemini GVX-215P Dual 15-Inch Powered Speaker (600$)

with this kind of budget you can buy good quality speakers, all these speakers you mention here are not quality there junk

b52......noooooo
gemini......hell nooooooooo
mackies use to be good back in the day when they were made buy RCF...todays mackie..NOOOOO

look into the yamaha dxr15------> www.ebay.com
CalebLee 1:13 AM - 15 October, 2013
So I guess it is down to Yamaha DXR15 or the Electro-Voice ELX115P
Joee 1:16 AM - 15 October, 2013
Quote:
So I guess it is down to Yamaha DXR15 or the Electro-Voice ELX115P

the elx115p is a good sounding speaker, but the dxr15 is better do some research and you will find the dxr line is a quality speaker & the two dxr15's will give some bass if your not going to use a sub
Joee 1:17 AM - 15 October, 2013
specs-----> usa.yamaha.com
CalebLee 1:30 AM - 15 October, 2013
I did some research, and they look really good.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:54 AM - 15 October, 2013
Actually heard the Yamaha dxr115 today. Sound great. I would go with those in your price range

Still trying to find a zxa5 to listen too!!! Lol
Al Poulin 2:19 AM - 15 October, 2013
The DXR15s are the best sounding and perfroming actives you will find at 800$ a piece. I reviewed/tested them and bought them. They are excellent used stand alone for small weddings and offer a nice and full sound. Mixer section makes them ultra flexible too. 7 year warranty on top of that. Only negative is the actual finish, which is very fragile - so covers absolutely recommended.

Al
DJ Reflex 12:21 AM - 16 October, 2013
You could always flip a coin...
Madferrets 9:30 PM - 21 October, 2013
I use 2xCerwin Vega CVA-121 21" Strokers Subs with 4xCerwin Vega CVA-28 Tops. The sound is unbelievable. Best thing I ever bought. They are a bit on the heavy side but most active systems are. Well worth checking out.
jajoja 11:25 PM - 21 October, 2013
^ +1
CalebLee 2:21 AM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
I use 2xCerwin Vega CVA-121 21" Strokers Subs with 4xCerwin Vega CVA-28 Tops. The sound is unbelievable. Best thing I ever bought. They are a bit on the heavy side but most active systems are. Well worth checking out.

Dang how much did that cost you, like 5,000?
DJ_FUEGONY 4:01 AM - 22 October, 2013
I just upgraded from JBL 615M to JBL 715M and they really sound great, plus now they have fans built in which makes them run cooler and they are 1500 watts each and I also have a Yorkville LS801PB sub, I'm set with those speakers for a while.
CalebLee 5:15 PM - 22 October, 2013
Which would allow me to DJ for a larger amount of people, 2 Yahama DXR15, or 4 Electro-Voice ZLX-12P
Joee 5:18 PM - 22 October, 2013
^ the yamaha will get louder, but have four ev will allow you to cover a wider space, i'd get the yamaha
Certified Quality Entertainment 5:39 PM - 22 October, 2013
Or 1 zxa5 :). Lol
Al Poulin 1:55 AM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
I just upgraded from JBL 615M to JBL 715M and they really sound great, plus now they have fans built in which makes them run cooler and they are 1500 watts each and I also have a Yorkville LS801PB sub, I'm set with those speakers for a while.

The increase in available power is meaningless since the transducers will never get anywhere near that amount applied to them, nor could they handle it for more than a few seconds. It's all about printing higher watt numbers than the other manufacturers in this modern annoying watts race. The Mackie 2000 watt 8" speakers in particular make me laugh. The fan is a good idea given how hot many of the 6 series PRX cabs ran (even at idle).
RobDJ dotcom 2:39 AM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
It's all about printing higher watt numbers than the other manufacturers in this modern annoying watts race.

Hahahahaha. I did car stereo way back when that was the thing to do and we were all hip to this. We called the power rating on the box the "ILS" rating. Meaning that the only way that amp is going to push that much power is "If Lightning Strikes".
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:59 PM - 23 October, 2013
1.21 gigawatts!!!!! Great Scott!!!
RobDJ dotcom 2:30 PM - 23 October, 2013
Jiggawatts
Jigga who
Papa Midnight 2:38 PM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
I did car stereo way back when that was the thing to do and we were all hip to this. We called the power rating on the box the "ILS" rating. Meaning that the only way that amp is going to push that much power is "If Lightning Strikes".

When that baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious shit.
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:51 PM - 23 October, 2013
lol
RobDJ dotcom 5:44 PM - 23 October, 2013
@Papa Midnight for editing the quote so it didn't include 2 paragraphs of off point chatter:

+1
DJ Yoni 9:43 PM - 30 October, 2013
Tbh, I have a pair of ZLX15p and was looking into the Mackie srm650 because I'm just not getting enough punch from the ev's without the limit signal going crazy. I have 2 qsc kw181 subs (don't ask why I splurged there and not on mains, lol) and so bedtimes I use my partners jbl prx615's. I don't like qsc mains cause they used to limit themselves during my set if it got to punchy. Jbl is a maybe but just out if my budget. If anyone says anything good about he Mackies, I'm in
DJ Yoni 9:43 PM - 30 October, 2013
Sometimes*
RobDJ dotcom 1:02 AM - 31 October, 2013
I've got 4 Mackie 450's that I love. All 4 have run flawless for about 10 years. I don't push their bottom end much. I've got some EV 15's I pull out if I wanna drop some bass. I'm not picking up on what you want them to do.

PS - not one of the four has ever overheated even once
DJ Yoni 2:50 AM - 31 October, 2013
Quote:
I've got 4 Mackie 450's that I love. All 4 have run flawless for about 10 years. I don't push their bottom end much. I've got some EV 15's I pull out if I wanna drop some bass. I'm not picking up on what you want them to do.

PS - not one of the four has ever overheated even once

It's not a problem of overheating. I think that you have the EV's ELX15p which is much more powerful speaker than my ZLX15p (133 spl max vs 127 spl) I read that the new mackies srm650's have great bass response and have a max spl of 133. Also, if you had your mackies for ten years, you probably have the ones that have better build quality than the newer ones.
CalebLee 3:02 AM - 31 October, 2013
I've been hearing that the Yahama is the best for the 800 dollars, what about the JBL PRX615M?
RobDJ dotcom 3:03 AM - 31 October, 2013
One set of V1's and one set of v2's
CalebLee 3:05 AM - 31 October, 2013
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean...
DJ Nightmare Productions 3:25 PM - 31 October, 2013
All the seriousness in this thread.. I applaud all involved.. Help this young misguided youth.. lol
I would suggest the EV's and some subs.. not just the tops. My Experience has been no matter how small the venue i will always use a sub to balance my sound and provide that WOW to the crowd. It helps set you apart from all the Discount Dj's even if you can't afford it right out the gate. Add As soon as your budget allows.
DJ Yoni 5:06 PM - 31 October, 2013
Quote:
I've been hearing that the Yahama is the best for the 800 dollars, what about the JBL PRX615M?

You have to find a place that still sells them cause they're discontinued. If you do find them, grab them cause they have to be discounted and I feel that they're the same quality as the 715, only missing the cooling fans.
RobDJ dotcom 9:41 PM - 31 October, 2013
Quote:
My Experience has been no matter how small the venue i will always use a sub to balance my sound and provide that WOW to the crowd. It helps set you apart from all the Discount Dj's.

I'll co-sign that
pdidy 10:56 PM - 31 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
My Experience has been no matter how small the venue i will always use a sub to balance my sound and provide that WOW to the crowd. It helps set you apart from all the Discount Dj's.

I'll co-sign that

I agree, It is not good enough too just be a good dj....It wont set you apart from pack because there are good djs everywhere. A good sound system can make your competition irrelevant (I've been doing it for years).
RobDJ dotcom 11:47 PM - 31 October, 2013
Quote:
there are good djs everywhere.

Mmmmm... Pdidy... Not sure I can co-sign on that one : )
pdidy 12:12 AM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
there are good djs everywhere.

Mmmmm... Pdidy... Not sure I can co-sign on that one : )

You have to understand the context.....
Considering you don't live in the jungles of a third world county, there will naturally be other djs in YOUR vicinity of similar skill levels.
DJ Reflex 3:12 AM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll co-sign that

I agree, It is not good enough too just be a good dj....It wont set you apart from pack because there are good djs everywhere. A good sound system can make your competition irrelevant (I've been doing it for years).

Tru-Dat! A bride asked me during our conference if we really NEEDED a sub. When I cranked it up for the dance music, the room came alive. I just got an email from her yesterday thanking me for the incredible sound system for her reception.
DJ Yoni 4:37 AM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll co-sign that

Tru-Dat! A bride asked me during our conference if we really NEEDED a sub. When I cranked it up for the dance music, the room came alive. I just got an email from her yesterday thanking me for the incredible sound system for her reception.

I love those emails
RobDJ dotcom 9:55 PM - 1 November, 2013
Quote:
You have to understand the context.....
Considering you don't live in the jungles of a third world county, there will naturally be other djs in YOUR vicinity of similar skill levels.

Lol, I feel you P. Just tryin to keep SOME of us on a little bit of a pedestal : )
CalebLee 8:30 PM - 2 November, 2013
Should I get the Yahama DXR15 or the Cerwin-Vega P1500X?
1283677 9:15 PM - 13 November, 2014
Look it man, Mackie made cheap shit due to the cheap ass fools that didnt wanna pay, they have better series such as their srm line, the new srm 650's are great, I ran them for six hours and they never once clipped, my older model Mackies would clip in around 2-2 1/2 hours, I also have the srm 1850 subs and they too kick...a lot of these guys here have not even heard the new srm 650's and wanna give their negative opinion and recommend you try other stuff...I vouch for these speakers cause I have them, and I also have QSC which is an awesome speaker as well, but for the money, the srm 650's are a great investment and lighter than the QSC's, but hey to each their own, they put some new cerwin vegas to shame at a gig I was at and that's for sure.
1283677 9:21 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:

Dude stick with the srm 650's, how did you end up even considering Cerwin Vega? They're not what they used to be, and the SRM 650's are more affordable and out pound them...trust me, Mackie has stepped it up this time, they give my QSC'S a good run, crystal clean and punchy bass!
Joee 9:58 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Dude stick with the srm 650's, how did you end up even considering Cerwin Vega? They're not what they used to be, and the SRM 650's are more affordable and out pound them...trust me, Mackie has stepped it up this time, they give my QSC'S a good run, crystal clean and punchy bass!

you do realize his post was form one year ago right?
1283677 10:41 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol, my bad, Nov. Of 2013, I just realized that...
pdidy 11:09 PM - 13 November, 2014
Anybody who is still repping mackie speakers in 2014 with all the easily accessible proof in existence can not be trusted.

I would keep my hand on my wallet when in your presence.....
djdadab 9:36 AM - 29 November, 2014
What's the difference between the Yamaha DRX15 and JBL PRX735, my final 2 choices
djdadab 9:37 AM - 29 November, 2014
Other than price
rayjthedj 1:33 PM - 29 November, 2014
These speakers are not in the same class. The JBL is a 3-way top, I don't think it is pole mountable, it weighs about 27 lbs more and of course cost another $400.00.

Needless to say the JBL will sound much better being a three way high powered cabinet.
lvmez 4:11 PM - 29 November, 2014
Did you look into the EV ETX15P & the RCF EVOX 8's?
hrdway 11:31 AM - 1 February, 2015
I belive in have different set of speaker base on how much u will be getting paid for the event!! So I have a set of mac lie thump, ev z line,jnl prx 712! To be having one set of speakers isn't the right way to go
DJ Yoni 6:25 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
I belive in have different set of speaker base on how much u will be getting paid for the event!! So I have a set of mac lie thump, ev z line,jnl prx 712! To be having one set of speakers isn't the right way to go

The best advice I've heard in this forum in a long time.
hrdway 7:20 PM - 1 February, 2015
Thanks!!
Joee 7:25 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

The best advice I've heard in this forum in a long time.

true, but not everyone can afford to have multiple sets of speakers
hrdway 7:45 PM - 1 February, 2015
I agree!! So the best way is to start is going cheap and work your yourself up. Because when u start out your not going to make a lot of money!! But like I said its always best to have aleast two, three set up speaker. And the worst is been paid 1000 for gig and blowing set of 1000 dollars speaker! Now u lost money
DJ Yoni 7:55 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
I agree!! So the best way is to start is going cheap and work your yourself up. Because when u start out your not going to make a lot of money!! But like I said its always best to have aleast two, three set up speaker. And the worst is been paid 1000 for gig and blowing set of 1000 dollars speaker! Now u lost money

If you're patient, it will come to you, within three years I went from a pair of behringers to 4 pairs of jbl prx 715, 2 pairs of zlx, and 4 pairs of qsc subs, looking back it just came with work, time and a plan. I didn't feel that I spent my last dollar!
desmorider 8:03 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:

If your a pro, and know what your doing, then you should not blow your shit up. I also think that most of the O.G. Dj's on here have multiple sets of speakers. The one thing that those speakers have in common is that they are of good quality. Speaking for my self, and i'm sure some others on here, I wouldn't use a setup for a paying customer no matter price, that i wouldnt use for myself or a family member. I always want to be well represented no matter what the gig pays. I enjoy the music sounding a certain way, and won't skimp or compromise on that.
hrdway 8:06 PM - 1 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

If your a pro, and know what your doing, then you should not blow your shit up. I also think that most of the O.G. Dj's on here have multiple sets of speakers. The one thing that those speakers have in common is that they are of good quality. Speaking for my self, and i'm sure some others on here, I wouldn't use a setup for a paying customer no matter price, that i wouldnt use for myself or a family member. I always want to be well represented no matter what the gig pays. I enjoy the music sounding a certain way, and won't skimp or compromise on that.

Well I guess that work for you!! I will never do that!! But I understand where u come from.
DJ 3XOTIC 9:02 PM - 16 March, 2015
I've also been wondering, which is better the ev elx115p, jbl prx 715, or even the qsc k series(not kw)
hrdway 9:05 PM - 17 March, 2015
There a little different between the JBL 715 and the QSC k series!! U can't go wrong with anyone one of those!!! But I would stay away from the JBL 115p
But just my opinion!!
hrdway 9:06 PM - 17 March, 2015
Sorry meant to say stay away from the ELX 115p
DJ 3XOTIC 9:09 PM - 17 March, 2015
Ok, Did you have any bad experiences with the ev elx115p?
DJ BreeL 8:33 PM - 28 August, 2016
For smaller gigs (100-250 people), what speaker will provide clarity, bass and overall good sound quality that will not distort or break at its wattage peak? I just started DJ'ing again after YEARS and must upgrade from my dreadful Gli Pros.

B-52 MX-15 VS Yamaha BR10 VS JBL JRX215

(Please refer only to these 3 options)
pdidy 10:08 PM - 28 August, 2016
Quote:

Then I choose NONE of them :(
DJ BreeL 10:10 PM - 28 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That bad huh? Surely they are better than Gli Pro.
pdidy 10:16 PM - 28 August, 2016
Your requirements were...... "(100-250 people), what speaker will provide clarity, bass and overall good sound quality that will not distort or break at its wattage peak?"

So yea, NONE...... My advise is to keep the Gli Pro until you are prepared to look at better options.
Papa Midnight 10:20 PM - 28 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Going to co-sign on this one. None of them.
DJ BreeL 10:31 PM - 28 August, 2016
Yamaha S115V??
DJ Yoni 7:36 AM - 29 August, 2016
It's been a while since I've thrown my hat in this discussion and all I can say is that if you plan to make this a serious business, you must spend the right amount on sound (maybe even a mixing board). Currently, my go to configuration is a set of EV ETX 18 subs with a set of ev ETX 15 tops and a pair of EV ZLX as monitors, all going through either my QSC Touchmix 16 or my ever reliable Allen & Heath zed 10fx. I still have my old speakers cause I can't bring myself to sell them but I have to say, the crowd appreciate good sound and the people you work with will take you more seriously. Mobile DJs can pull anywhere between $600-1500 depending on the type of party a night so investing in the right sound is not only cost effective (so far I've had my pair for over a year without issue) it's also more enjoyable to work with. I know that the costs seem crazy but believe me, changing or fixing speakers every six months is a waist of time and money.
Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep rocking the crowds you perform for.
DJ BreeL 8:39 AM - 29 August, 2016
That makes me feel good. I just bought an EV ZLX-12. At least something I took interest in was on the approval list.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:15 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
For smaller gigs (100-250 people), what speaker will provide clarity, bass and overall good sound quality that will not distort or break at its wattage peak? I just started DJ'ing again after YEARS and must upgrade from my dreadful Gli Pros.

Give up a budget and you can be guided on what would be the best bang for your buck.
Funkytownstopsix 1:39 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Going to co-sign on this one. None of them.

Come on man,,,,, : ) I had a B52 System and I must say it was actually pretty good but I had a few issues with it, one it was heavy as hell. Second understand that it's no different than using speakers with an amp. So if the amp in the sub fails then your system will not work.

We all had to start somewhere but the best info I will give a new dj's is to buy powered speakers because if one fails, it fails not the whole system. I recall in my early years I rented speakers for a while until I had enough dough to get what I wanted this could be a good option for you until you can get what you like. Also you can add the cost of the rental into the price. GOOD LUCK young grasshopper.
Papa Midnight 3:54 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
We all had to start somewhere but the best info I will give a new dj's is to buy powered speakers because if one fails, it fails not the whole system.

I understand the "We all had to start somewhere" bit. I used to run around with one (count it: ONE) JBL EON 515XT. I got a second after a few gigs. I sold them later, and got some JBL PRX715s.

I also agree with you on going powered. One, it's less equipment to carry, and two: it's automatic redundancy.

Quote:
I recall in my early years I rented speakers for a while until I had enough dough to get what I wanted this could be a good option for you until you can get what you like.

You were braver than me. I've never allowed other DJs to use my speakers unless I was right there, and controlling the levels. These dudes don't seem to understand that RED = BAD (except on Numark digital mixers where white = bad), and to stop cranking up the High and Mid EQs.
Funkytownstopsix 4:56 PM - 30 August, 2016
I didn't rent from a dj I rented from a rental store that rented all kinds of stuff. They rented projectors, screens, TV's speakers and all kinds of instruments. I use to get tops and bottoms for $75 per gig rent on Saturday returned on Monday got an extra day to DJ no charge for Sundays....There are still a few of those around I am sure!!!!! Now this was in the early 90's today I know a guy that will setup a whole system and tear it down for 300... just show up spin and leave that's the way it should be. FYI RED IS ALWAYS BAD IN THE DJ WORLD.... DJ 101 for the rookies.

Oh just in case I didn't say this,,,,,,,FYI RED IS ALWAYS BAD IN THE DJ WORLD.... DJ 101 for the rookies.... lol
DJ Guayo 11:21 PM - 30 August, 2016
I'll chime in as well. I used to roll with the B52 Matrix but had issues with it and moved up to two QSC 152W. Those were work horses for me. I then moved up to a pair do HD32as and pair of 8004s.

My best advice is buy something that's is within your means and reliable. Buying 'cheap' only gets more expensive in the long run. Make sure what yiu buy has good resell value too. This allows you to make some money back and apply towards your new purchase.

Or you could go buy once, cry once. Lol
Papa Midnight 1:13 AM - 31 August, 2016
Quote:
Buying 'cheap' only gets more expensive in the long run.

This right here.
pdidy 5:17 AM - 31 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This right here.

It took me many years and thousands of $$$$ wasted before I learned this....smh
Taipanic 2:43 PM - 31 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This right here.

It took me many years and thousands of $$$$ wasted before I learned this....smh

I was lucky and started right from the beginning playing on premium equipment (Bozak, Rane, Technics) so I've always known and appreciated quality but am still always on an upgrade path. You can buy quality equipment that is used for cheap, way better than new, low quality gear. I bought a pair of EV SX200s with Ultimate Support stands and cables for $200 and a $100 Crown amp several years ago. Rented a sub for gigs and later picked up a $900 used Yorkville LS800. That system sounds better than most systems under $2000.00
From there went to ZXa5s and then on to a $10k JTR rig. Still have and use all of those setups. Future P.A. will include more JTR subs and probably a Danley rig. Connected to either a Pioneer DDJ-SZ, Denon 5500/Korg Zero4, Technics 1210/Rane MP2015, or Traktor S4. You might say I'm a gear whore - but only good stuff!
DJ BreeL 1:59 AM - 2 September, 2016
Now that my speaker situation is out of the way, I need a decent subwoofer.

Cerwin-Vega INT-118S V2 vs Bose B1 Bass Module??
pdidy 2:11 AM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:

Get the Bose, everybody knows they're the bes-tess of them all.
Taipanic 1:41 PM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Get the Bose, everybody knows they're the bes-tess of them all.

I can't even...
DJ BreeL 2:40 PM - 2 September, 2016
QSC and Yorkville are way outside of what I'm willing to pay for a sub at the moment. While an Omega is a top of the line watch, Citizen is also good quality. Is audio quality really that tight these days? Only 2-3 brands are worthy?
DJ Guayo 3:04 PM - 2 September, 2016
Got ask the guys on the pro sound forum.

www.prosoundweb.com

maybe they can chime in and help.
Taipanic 3:51 PM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:
QSC and Yorkville are way outside of what I'm willing to pay for a sub at the moment. While an Omega is a top of the line watch, Citizen is also good quality. Is audio quality really that tight these days? Only 2-3 brands are worthy?

There are lots of good gear at many different price points but the reality is you get what you pay for. If you don't want to spend $800+ on something decent then look for similar gear in the used market. They might be bigger, heavier and passive but at least it will sound decent. Otherwise rent subs until you can afford a decent new one.
It still irks me of all these dudes who want to be full working paid DJs for an outlay of a few hundred dollars. Illegal music, crappy equipment, you just lower the value of everyone who does it right and has paid their dues. Wonder why DJ pay hasn't changed in the last 15 years?
DJ BreeL 12:54 PM - 3 September, 2016
If I have a 2-channel amp with a bridge option, can I connect a passive sub to the bridge? My previous amp didn't have this option.
Funkytownstopsix 5:50 PM - 7 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

There are lots of good gear at many different price points but the reality is you get what you pay for. If you don't want to spend $800+ on something decent then look for similar gear in the used market. They might be bigger, heavier and passive but at least it will sound decent. Otherwise rent subs until you can afford a decent new one.
It still irks me of all these dudes who want to be full working paid DJs for an outlay of a few hundred dollars. Illegal music, crappy equipment, you just lower the value of everyone who does it right and has paid their dues. Wonder why DJ pay hasn't changed in the last 15 years?
Yes sir thus why I retired not to mention I have been doing it for 30 years. On the flip side I got paid what I was worth and would not dj unless I did. When you have a good job you can let cheap gigs ride off in to the darkness.
Just1Fixxx 7:54 PM - 7 September, 2016
Lots of good deals to be had on the JBL 15/18 XLF Subs right now.
DJ BreeL 8:26 PM - 14 September, 2016
I have a question about XLR cables. I just ordered a new amplifier and an XLR male to RCA cable. While one connected smoothly into input b, I had a lot of resistance with input a. I had to apply some force getting it in and especially out. Is this ok, or could this cause a problem overtime? The XLR pins are on point. I'm guessing it's the amp. Should I send it back for an exchange?
DJ Guayo 8:43 PM - 14 September, 2016
Check the XLR housing and trying different cables. Some housing units are off by a bit and have trouble plugging into units.
DJ BreeL 9:16 PM - 14 September, 2016
They fit perfectly into my other amp. Is this minor? Should I just keep the amp? It operates fine, it's just a lot of pull trying to get the chord out.
AX238s 4:28 AM - 25 January, 2018
I’m a newbie and still learning the Dj trade,
However, I need your wise opinion whether buying a used jbl prx618s sub is a wise idea? And I’m battling between the mackie thump 15bst and a Yamaha drx15 tops?
I’d basically doing it for 100-200 people maximum for a larger corporate events.
I understand I’d need about 4tops and maybe 2subs, preferably all powered speakers. Any suggestions would greatly help.

Thank y’all in advance!
dj_soo 8:31 AM - 25 January, 2018
The DXR15s are like 3 or 4 times better than the Thumps. The PRX618 is a good sub from what I understand, but you'll have to turn down the DXRs to match up.

2 tops is fine - you're probably better off with a pair of subs instead and the DXR15s should do most corporates/weddings of under 150 on their own unless you really need that club bass a sub provides.
AX238s 9:46 AM - 25 January, 2018
Thank you DJ SOO.
I just remembered that a friend gave me a Peavey 21” passive Sub(using qsc-amp), I think I might pair that with the prx618s?