Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

When is Serato DJ ever going to...

[O/][iii][O/] 6:30 PM - 8 October, 2013
...look/feel the same as Scratch Live?

Off top of head, Serato DJ 1.5 is STILL missing...

• Album Artwork On Loaded Decks

• Album Artwork Grids 1 & 2

• Album Art Size Increase/Decrease

• Stacked Horizontal 2-deck and 4-deck Modes

Take a look: s802.photobucket.com

It's handicapping and maddening that the relied on UI features are still missing from Serato DJ.
MichaelVersteeg 1:23 PM - 9 October, 2013
This. +1000
Mark Quest 5:20 PM - 9 October, 2013
how does album art improve the main thing it was designed for: DJing.
exactly how is it 'handicapping' you? You wrote this this post, and I presume you can read aswell, so it can't be that you're illiterate & need the pics to identify which tracks to play..
I don't think it will NEVER look like SSL because it's SDJ & they want to make a distinction between the two.
I'd rather not have my DJ software bogged down with useless (to me) features that could compromise its performance.
I can understand DJ's used to using turntables might experience withdrawals from not watching a picture spin around & around, but I think the majority of people don't GAF about it and/or miss it.

My opinion value: 2c
steve alan 5:46 PM - 9 October, 2013
Why would anybody (unless your a wanna be/bedroom dj) especially a pro Dj want such a load of garbage and clutter on there screen???????????????? is beyond me!
Konix 9:10 PM - 9 October, 2013
Clearly you guys must not have been old school vinyl DJs. Back in a time before DVS, vinyl DJs (more so house/techno/edm DJs) often remembered their tracks not necessarily by artist/track name, but what the vinyl cover/sleeve artwork looked like. I'd often couldn't tell you who the track is by, but I damn sure could tell you where exactly that record is in my crate/bag and what the album art cover/sleeve looks like. That's how many DJs back in the day remembered their songs.

[O/][iii][O/] / BlackScience / Soulsonica™ has been very adamant and verbal about this feature for years. It wouldn't be the first post from him on this very same subject, and probably won't be the last until it's in Serato DJ.
gross1 8:34 AM - 10 October, 2013
Yes yes to adding Album artwork.
Selecting the right track needs to be a visual experience.
steve alan 7:04 PM - 10 October, 2013
I can understand where ur coming from as I did the same whilst using vinyl in the early days ,to find my record ,but that's all ,don't need it for digital dj-ing .
in fact still have all the 12" / LP,s I used in the 70/80/90's boxed in the loft everything from punk/soul/Motown/n.soul,dance/reggae/funk pop,white label,demo,dj only,ltd ed col & picture disk. u name it (style) its prob there, so think its time now I,m retired to get it down and get rid of it all as never gonna use it again now,so might as well move it on,anybody know of any links that how what stuff like this is worth?
steve alan 7:16 PM - 10 October, 2013
Quote:
Clearly you guys must not have been old school vinyl DJs
Quote:

sorry to disillusion you regarding "old skool dj" I'm now (for last 5 years)retired (60+ years) and been a Dj since late 70,s (second job as didn't pay that well),I actually thought when cds came out they were a godsend no more lugging tons of vinyl around, then laptops well that I thought was the bees knees, it would seem that although vinyl is making a big comeback the future seems to be in digital touchscreen Dj,s like the Emulator - transparent touchscreen mixing desk, although it will have to become more affordable to the mass market first,as its way to expencive at the moment for your average run of the mill Dj
DJ Boom Bap 5:12 AM - 12 October, 2013
^ quote fail

+1
[O/][iii][O/] 4:16 PM - 16 October, 2013
Quote:
exactly how is it 'handicapping' you? You wrote this this post, and I presume you can read aswell, so it can't be that you're illiterate & need the pics to identify which tracks to play..
I don't think it will NEVER look like SSL because it's SDJ & they want to make a distinction between the two.
I'd rather not have my DJ software bogged down with useless (to me) features that could compromise its performance.
I can understand DJ's used to using turntables might experience withdrawals from not watching a picture spin around & around, but I think the majority of people don't GAF about it and/or miss it.

My opinion value: 2c

You are also not considering users who may suffer dyslexia and rely on artwork for quick track recognition based on visual cues (graphics > text).
Tekon 9:29 AM - 18 October, 2013
Plus one for artwork. I have a shit memory when it comes to remembering names. Especially when those name are in a mundane list. Artwork did help me with SSL. Also, is there a way to get my most played tunes into a crate? Its another memory helper i did with my vinyl. I would put every tune I played at the front of one specific case. That way all my favourites and most played, ended up in one crate. Worked for me...
Tekon 9:30 AM - 18 October, 2013
When are serato ever going to sort out the looping functions on the ddj-sx???
Dj L-Biz 11:52 AM - 18 October, 2013
Although i haven't used the art work feature much at all, i can fully understand. My memory for vinyl covers (and therefore track knowledge) far exceeds my memory for song names and artists - which has started to make me think i may need to actually incorporate a visual side to remembering tracks again...
Tekon 12:09 PM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:

I have to flame you on this dude. An absolute fuck tonne of people in this world are more susceptible to visual stimulation. I.E. myself. I have dyslexia and words appear jumbled up to me. So for me, relating a sound to an image is easier than reading track names from a list.
Also, if you think you so well versed, think again. You stated that you think SSL WILL look like SDJ with a double negative in the same sentence. And this is coming from a dyslexic.
Lord Fluff 1:43 PM - 18 October, 2013
+1 to proper artwork integration

Since right now you can just have text anyway, those who don't use it won't be bothered about more possibilities to display it.....
Lord Fluff 2:50 PM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:
Why would anybody (unless your a wanna be/bedroom dj)

It's also worth noting that the bulk of Serato's customer base are wannabe/bedroom DJs....
XRM5 7:44 PM - 18 October, 2013
UI and display features from SSL should improve + evolve in SDJ, not vanish for no reason.
Crazyraider 9:09 PM - 18 October, 2013
I can see good use for this. Unfortunately for me, some of my favorite tracks have rather generic album covers (Mainstage's releases are particularly bad with this), often with the only difference between releases being slightly different colors. But while they may not be as useful for me (I've gotten used to remembering track and artist names), they clearly have a place here. But like many features, I'd prefer an option. Since it wouldn't help me much, it'd end up being extra clutter that I'd like to hide.

It gets a +1 from me.

One issue I can see with them implementing this is that they might need to modify how the library stores info - it could be ignoring album covers right now.
Lord Fluff 10:07 PM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:

One issue I can see with them implementing this is that they might need to modify how the library stores info - it could be ignoring album covers right now.

As far as one can tell, it's just reading them from the art embedded in the mp3
Crazyraider 10:46 PM - 18 October, 2013
Quote:
As far as one can tell, it's just reading them from the art embedded in the mp3

For reading the info, yeah, it's that simple. But to have that show up in the library view, SDJ would have to cache the album art somewhere, which would likely be the general library file, or wherever all the other info is kept. And it's known that large libraries can, in some cases, cause issues (I've seen memory constraints cited as causing this by support staff). If the library doesn't already cache album art, then already large libraries get larger, and there might be a sharp increase in cases of large library-related problems.

As for modifying how it reads the info to put into the library, yeah, that's easy. But like any coding change, you never know how it might affect the rest of the program. Plus you have to include systems that will keep the program from expelling masonry when it hits a corrupted piece of album art (granted, I almost never see corrupted album art, but I have seen it before).
serkan 9:37 PM - 21 October, 2013
+1 to all of these.

I was sure SSL and SDJ would be merged the very first time SDJ was announced. When I saw it's crappy UI and all the missing features I guessed they would address all of these things before taking the big step.

But they didn't.
I'm sure the beta phase of SDJ 1.6 will be a huge impact with looots of pissed SSL users.
The whole time nothing happened as the hardcore user base (SSL users) didn't care of the "baby software ITCH/SDJ".

But now they will _have to_ deal with SDJ and all of it's issues - I wouldn't even wonder if the forums blow up because of the big traffic we'll see.

I doubt the SDJ final release will be in February - I rather think we will see the biggest Serato beta phase ever - much more than with SSL 2.0 or ITCH 2.0
[O/][iii][O/] 11:13 PM - 21 October, 2013
Will someone from Serato please comment by addressing the original post? I can't express how hobbled the experience always is going from SSL to SDJ due to all these missing features.

This >>> s802.photobucket.com

Please. Pretty please, with sugar on top.
oliver7625 3:31 AM - 22 October, 2013
+1
I'm the same as above. I find it hard to remember words and names and coming from vinyl it's a lot quicker for me to see a track than search pages of text.
[O/][iii][O/] 10:00 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
I can see good use for this. Unfortunately for me, some of my favorite tracks have rather generic album covers (Mainstage's releases are particularly bad with this), often with the only difference between releases being slightly different colors. But while they may not be as useful for me (I've gotten used to remembering track and artist names), they clearly have a place here. But like many features, I'd prefer an option. Since it wouldn't help me much, it'd end up being extra clutter that I'd like to hide.

It gets a +1 from me.

You could always assign any image you like to track files that come with generic album art. That's what I do whenever this happens. In fact, it helps me remember the track even more sometimes when I do this since I was the one who picked out the art for it.
swift807 12:03 PM - 3 November, 2013
The artwork feature can to be improved.

1. Have independent font size for crates and playlist. In the playlist with the Artwork, I prefer to have small text to see more artwork , but when I make the text smaller, it affects the crates as well. Would be nice to have my crates a nice size font while having the playlist with the Artwork have small font.

2.Artwork view should have independent headers from simple list view . The reason is , I go to the simple view for tag seaching ,for example ,groupings, comments, ect... I have about 8 headers in simple view. Now when you switch to artwork grid 1 and 2, half the screen is taken up by texts that you don't need because now your just enjoying the artwork and picking songs.
I make a work around to have the best of both, make 2 of the same crate but have 1 crate for simple view with about 8 headers to do tag searching and another crate for artwork with only 2-3 headers, bpm and song name, ect.. BUT you should be able to do this with 1 crate, switch to simple view with 8 headers and switch to grid view with 2 headers.

BTW , WHAT HAPPENED TO ARTWORK GRID 1 AND 2 IN SERATO DJ ? HOPE THEY PUT IT BACK .
swift807 12:30 PM - 3 November, 2013
Quote:
Why would anybody (unless your a wanna be/bedroom dj) especially a pro Dj want such a load of garbage and clutter on there screen???????????????? is beyond me!

I think its simply preference. Doesnt matter if your a bedroom dj or pro, it's how you like to view your music. Plus , you have the option to not use it.

From your response, is it safe to assume that if you shop on itunes or beatport that it really wouldn't matter if there was artwork or not? That would be kinda boring to search for new music by text only, and that would be boring to search for music when your dj'in.

I think a good example of why some people like artwork is the extra connection it gives. For example, if you go on Facebook and only see your friends name and no pic, or even on the serato forum, when members put the personal pics up, you get a better sense of who they are. Now apply that to your tunes, kinda the same thing !
But, like I said it's preference and it's great serato got list view AND artwork view.
DJ L1tn1ng 5:20 AM - 12 November, 2013
+1
Mister Mac 5:40 PM - 27 November, 2013
Quote:
...look/feel the same as Scratch Live?

Off top of head, Serato DJ 1.5 is STILL missing...

• Stacked Horizontal 2-deck and 4-deck Modes

Take a look: s802.photobucket.com

It's handicapping and maddening that the relied on UI features are still missing from Serato DJ.

+1
djbanno 1:12 AM - 23 December, 2013
+1000
MichaelVersteeg 2:42 PM - 16 January, 2014
Bump for +1 support. Plus, I would love to have an option where the album art of the selected song can be viewed in the bottom left corner similar to Traktor.
deejdave 7:03 AM - 19 January, 2014
I guess as long as this is an option and not another (for the most part) useless addition "improving" the overall layout of Serato DJ. I can appreciate the need for those who are dyslexic and those who are (I'm trying not to be offensive here) in need of pictures to get things done. I would be greatly disappointed if this made its way onto the GUI by default where it can't be turned off as the vast majority of us do not suffer from these (again trying not to be offensive) handicaps and are all about accessibility Vs. layout. ANY space utilized by a (for many of us) useless graphic is prime real estate for something of use in as in something that adds function rather than something else that only further points out what is already happening. Having pictures when selecting can be of use for visual learners (so to speak) but after the songs (4 at most) have already been selected one would think the operator should be able to remember what he/she selected.

Correct me if I am wrong here but the majority of the majority of the posts here support visuals when selecting tracks but Serato DJ already supports that. I am also left wondering as to actual purpose with statements like

Quote:
From your response, is it safe to assume that if you shop on itunes or beatport that it really wouldn't matter if there was artwork or not? That would be kinda boring to search for new music by text only, and that would be boring to search for music when your dj'in.

I mean the saying don't judge a book by its cover JUMPS out in my mind. Searching by new music based on pretty covers? I generally judge music by sound alone and never even really considered album art to be of any help. Slap a naked chick on any track and you are sure to get some attention................ then what? It means nothing!!

Then we have:

Quote:
I have to flame you on this dude. An absolute fuck tonne of people in this world are more susceptible to visual stimulation. I.E. myself. I have dyslexia and words appear jumbled up to me. So for me, relating a sound to an image is easier than reading track names from a list.
Also, if you think you so well versed, think again. You stated that you think SSL WILL look like SDJ with a double negative in the same sentence. And this is coming from a dyslexic.

I am right away asking myself how are you able to respond to any of these posts? I understand it does not mean blindness and it is possible but that's exactly my point.

NOW again I can agree this can be added as it does help a certain group of individuals. As long as it is selectable and does not affect the rest of us what is the harm? I always prefer function over visual but again that is just me. What I can't agree with though is for a second thinking the experience is in any way inferior to SSL. I don't mean to go there but the beats way I can exemplify this is with exactly what it is ............. accessibility. If you add a handicap ramp to a building you can absolutely bet there will be more people ABLE to get in BUT make no mistake it is in no way a faster route so don't get rid of the stairs.
acemc 10:27 PM - 19 January, 2014
+1 for this!
For people that are regularly playing with both SSL & SDJ, the differences can be irritating.
I see no harm in adding this feature with the option to turn it off for those who don't want it.
I personally use artwork as a quick visual aid & definitely would welcome this feature.
I actually found a little work around to increase the size of the album art for those that want.
In the serato plist located here: /Users/Username/Library/Preferences/com.serato.seratodj.plist
Change "library_album_art_size" number to 5 (biggest it goes)
deejdave 10:46 PM - 19 January, 2014
Absolutely. In all honesty and within reason I see no harm in adding ANY features (or bringing back so to speak) to SDJ that there is a market for as long as it is user selectable. I mean just like SYNC I feel it should be removed completely from the GUI when not enabled. I would assume an alternate feature (or a few) would have to be removed for those who want it as it wouldn't exactly be fair to simply enlarge the text or graphics of an active feature to make up for the room gained. Or lost depending on what way you look at it. If not it would cram up and tighten up the GUI making text & other graphics smaller for those who do enable it and I am not sure how that works out for those with dyslexia. I guess making some of the existing features drop-down style or scrolling would be the easiest/best way to gain the room needed for the pictures. Again not sure how this works out for those users who need it. Just some food for thought.
DJ Angel Suave Ortiz 1:17 AM - 29 March, 2014
Give us back our Album art Serato! I don't get why Serato DJ would not have the option just like SSL did. Album art is part of the music file and a great visual for many in our decks. +1000
deejdave 1:31 AM - 29 March, 2014
As long as it is user selectable as most DJ's use words (eg tags, titles, comments etc.) to browse, organize, download, & pick their songs. The term "That song LOOKS like it SOUNDS good" comes to mind LOL. As long as it can be shut off so as not to waste valuable space all is well.
djbanno 10:24 AM - 29 March, 2014
+1 for user selectable...i wouldnt want my preference to be someone else's problem.
DjSKum 10:48 AM - 3 April, 2014
Ah icicles in stacked mode, how I miss them...
Willie Dynamite 6:09 PM - 6 April, 2014
Quote:
Clearly you guys must not have been old school vinyl DJs. Back in a time before DVS, vinyl DJs (more so house/techno/edm DJs) often remembered their tracks not necessarily by artist/track name, but what the vinyl cover/sleeve artwork looked like. I'd often couldn't tell you who the track is by, but I damn sure could tell you where exactly that record is in my crate/bag and what the album art cover/sleeve looks like. That's how many DJs back in the day remembered their songs.

[O/][iii][O/] / BlackScience / Soulsonica™ has been very adamant and verbal about this feature for years. It wouldn't be the first post from him on this very same subject, and probably won't be the last until it's in Serato DJ.

PLEASE TEACH THE UNINITIATED!
Mister Mac 9:26 PM - 6 April, 2014
Cover Art, Cover Art, Cover Art. Please make Serato DJ Cover Art options just like there is in Serato Scratch Live. Cover Art on loaded decks and multiple Cover Art grids and adjustable Cover Art size. Many of us older DJs remember and identify tracks by what the Cover Art looks like much more than with text.
Zeroaccess 2:34 AM - 7 April, 2014
+1000
helipilot 4:43 AM - 5 July, 2014
+1000
DJ Quartz 6:07 PM - 5 July, 2014
+1000

Most DJs that come from the vinyl background have photographic memories.
deejdave 1:48 AM - 8 July, 2014
www.exforsys.com I believe you are trying to imply they are visual learners which you are absolutely correct. Photographic memory (Eidetic Memory - en.wikipedia.org) is VERY rare and is almost non-existent among adults.
Scott Camello 11:48 AM - 8 July, 2014
artwork is found in stack mode so if u downlaod alot of music from beatport the artwork will show when u click on the circle icon to show the lil turntable
swift807 1:08 AM - 15 October, 2014
+1
Serato scratch was on point. rock solid.
Serato dj 1.7.1 is wack, crashing, omitted features, can't view loop and cue point same time, if lock a song, can't tell if it's corrupt, moved the make crates and art view icon to the upper page only to clutter it instead of at the bottom out of the way. It really doesnt matter if that's at the bottom,why bring it near all the controls we always use ?

Please improve the artwork view.
1. Separate zoom for text and artwork. Shrinking text size and artwork but having the column box stay the same is useless, there is no extra space being saved.
In the Browser does work as you would expect, shrinking the text does shrink the column as well.
2. If they bring back the grid view, please have option to view headers on top but not view headers with the artwork. When view the artwork , all the headers show with the artwork, so you end up with headers taking up more space then the artwork. But if you hide the headers, your stuck without the headers in case you want to select grouping or album or whatever. Another, wtf.
acemc 11:43 PM - 15 October, 2014
Quote:
Photographic memory (Eidetic Memory - en.wikipedia.org) is VERY rare and is almost non-existent among adults.

I have a photographic memory........
In a flash it's gone!!
deejdave 2:03 AM - 16 October, 2014
Ha. Love it!!!!
musiclee 12:34 PM - 16 October, 2014
When is Serato DJ ever going to...

Listen to its customers and let US choose how to map things OUR way?
Florian Keller 11:29 AM - 10 January, 2016
+1
Florian Keller 5:40 AM - 4 February, 2016
I see all those posts about that topic, started when Serato Dj came out and NEVER REPLIED by one of the team. Not a good feeling.
DJ SH 5:51 PM - 5 February, 2016
+1
Detroitbootybass 4:12 PM - 7 February, 2016
Throw us a bone, Serato!
Jaywoo 1:17 AM - 6 March, 2016
When is serato's analysis going to be able to differentiate between a snare, voice and kick drum and beat grid correctly so we won't have to re-grid every song that's not edm? And while they're at it, the software should also e able to detect bpm swings or shifts for songs played by a real person. For example, most or all rock, oldies and funk.
jatoro 10:37 PM - 6 March, 2016
+1
DJ Frank Stallone 1:33 AM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
When is serato's analysis going to be able to differentiate between a snare, voice and kick drum and beat grid correctly so we won't have to re-grid every song that's not edm? And while they're at it, the software should also e able to detect bpm swings or shifts for songs played by a real person. For example, most or all rock, oldies and funk.

I agree 100%
ceeUB 2:03 AM - 17 July, 2016
Come on people.. there is no right or wrong way to mix music. It's what you do with. If you remember your tunes by name,great. Artwork.. also good. What ever works for you. For me, I learnt on Vinyl so as per previous comments. .its a visual que in remembering my tunes. If any one thinks their way is better than anyone else's. You really need to take a look at your self in the mirror.
DJ Ravien 6:06 AM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:

Personally I have yet to find a software that has been able to determine this accurately. Traktor, MIK, Ableton or SDJ. Im just happy they have beat grids that can be adjusted. I remember when I first started using traktor all grids were locked to one BPM so if a track wasn't 4 on the floor with no sway was impossible to beat grid correctly.
Eats 8:54 AM - 17 July, 2016
+1 please please.

I would also love to see these upgrades in future updates:

• Stacked Horizontal 2-deck and 4-deck Modes (4 decks would be amazing and open up such creative possibilities)

+ Image syncing (adding)
It would be great if the image adding could be improved. Right now you have to select track and drag the image across, thats fine if your image is named something else but I feel that if your image shares the same name as your track and is a JPG or PNG it should happen automatically.

Thanks for listening :)
DJ Ravien 1:40 PM - 18 July, 2016
forgot to +1 OP topic
pierrelefonque 2:14 PM - 21 July, 2016
...MiDi CLOCK/ MiDi SYNC / ABLETON LiNK FEATURE....MiDi CLOCK asked years over years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!