Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Cleaning an SL1???

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Rebelguy 10:57 PM - 5 March, 2006
Hey Folks...

Ran into a bit of a problem with a drunk mofo spilling a drink near the DJ console. The bottom of my SL1 got covered in alcohol as well as some light drops hitting the back of the unit. Is there any safe way to clean this off and is it possible to open it up to see if any liquid hit the inside? What is the best cleaning product to use or is a damp cloth fine? Now I just gotta check if my laptop is cool. On a positive note...Serato kept going the whole night.

Rebelguy
krazyk 11:17 PM - 5 March, 2006
i've had beer spill on the RCA outputs of the SL1. this happened a month ago but it still works.. should this be of any concern??
nik39 11:34 PM - 5 March, 2006
If it aint broke...
Rebelguy 11:51 PM - 5 March, 2006
I assume that if the unit dries out then it should be fine. I had a margarita spill on my CDJ one night. It stopped working at that moment but a few days later I powered it up and it worked fine. I could probably leave the SL1 but wouldnt mind cleaning it just to put my mind at ease.
prizo 9:42 AM - 6 March, 2006
man how many times yall need to learn... keep them drinks away from ur dj shit period. I def learned that the hard way.
krazyk 12:51 PM - 6 March, 2006
heh prizo until it happens to you.. i damn well didn't want no drinks next to my SL-1.
Rebelguy 2:43 PM - 6 March, 2006
I do what I can to keep my stuff free and clear but sometimes ish just happens. Drunk people just have a way of finding the one flaw in your defenses..haha.
Thundercat 11:04 PM - 6 March, 2006
Nobody ever suspects the drunk guy...
prizo 11:10 PM - 6 March, 2006
eyeh kkrazyk it has happened many times... Seems it usually some cute chick that start swaggering over my equipment when my attention is diverted. Shit happens. But now I am very careful. Even if its a homey or a cute girl whos hanging out, i make their ass put their alchohol down on a table or some place away from my shit. Ive almost faught someone who was being a dick about it. Gottta protect your shit, for me this is life itself. Most equipment can take a beating tho, hey my cellphone fell in the toliet bowl and was washed in the washermachine. I left it out in the sun folr a few days, good as new.