DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Longest "track" loaded in SSL?

RobDJ dotcom 6:25 PM - 7 October, 2013
I recorded a 3 hour set I intend to use as opener background music at an upcoming event. I'm hoping to load it as one track into SSL. Anybody ever tried to load anything that big?
Detroitbootybass 6:40 PM - 7 October, 2013
In the past, I recorded mixes in SSL and have loaded them up to have a listen. Those were in the two or two and a half hours long.
RobDJ dotcom 6:47 PM - 7 October, 2013
@DBB: You were playing the recording in SSL, made by SSL, never removed from and loaded back into SSL?
DJ Construc 6:49 PM - 7 October, 2013
I do it all the time, it works fine.
Detroitbootybass 6:51 PM - 7 October, 2013
That's correct, it was the AIFF file just after it was recorded.
phonze 6:51 PM - 7 October, 2013
Make sure you have it analyzed before you do it and it should be fine.
RobDJ dotcom 4:28 PM - 9 October, 2013
Cut it, loaded it, and analyzed it last night. Will be putting it to the test this Sat.
RobDJ dotcom 1:41 PM - 21 October, 2013
Just in case anybody is interested:
The 3 hour track is a WINNER! SSL runs it smooth and I get paid the same amount for the receptions but don't have to actually start playing till after dinner. This was an ACE idea and I'm loving it!
XCAKID 2:44 PM - 21 October, 2013
Whenever I do a corporate event where I have to play background music during dinner or cocktail, I just throw something together on Ableton. Then analyze it on Serato and play it at the event as one track. This can range anywhere from 1hr up to 3+hrs. I sit back an cruise the net on my tablet. LOL
d:raf 2:43 AM - 22 October, 2013
I better never hear any of ya'll complain about David Guetta again. lol
XCAKID 4:09 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:

C'mon man, I don't think I've ever met anyone mixing Kenny G, Sade and the like live. hahahahah
d:raf 8:37 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

C'mon man, I don't think I've ever met anyone mixing Kenny G, Sade and the like live. hahahahah

A simple crossfade is technically a mix too ;).

If you're going to put your set together in Ableton beforehand the least you could do is wear a mask and shoot ppl with water pistols or something; way more dynamic than sitting back and cruising the net on your tablet. lolz

I'm kidding of course :). Seriously though, you're totally opening yourself to someone walking up, seeing you early in the night and thinking "He does nothing but play premade mixes! Boo this man!"
XCAKID 8:53 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A simple crossfade is technically a mix too ;).

If you're going to put your set together in Ableton beforehand the least you could do is wear a mask and shoot ppl with water pistols or something; way more dynamic than sitting back and cruising the net on your tablet. lolz

I'm kidding of course :). Seriously though, you're totally opening yourself to someone walking up, seeing you early in the night and thinking "He does nothing but play premade mixes! Boo this man!"

It's dinner music. Soft rock, Jazz, Easy listening stuff. In all honesty, I hardly think anyone even want to see me during that time let alone mixing it up. I could be wrong, but I have never had any bad feedback or complaints about it.

When the time comes, I always mix live.
d:raf 2:21 AM - 23 October, 2013
So the major determining factor of whether or not "live" mixing is required is whether or not the DJ thinks anyone in the room will care... gotcha ;).

</Bezzle>
RobDJ dotcom 2:32 AM - 23 October, 2013
After the first 100 times I'm over "proving myself". While I respect the craft enough to stick to 1200's and continue working to improve my skill, I'm past the point of live mixing while wedding guests are just walking in and looking for their seat. My skill is sufficiently proven after dinner when I warm up the wax and get the dance floor packed every time. As long as I can get 100+ rhythm-less white people ages 1-100 on the floor till they're crowded in, sweeting, and out of breath in their Sunday best I know I've still got it. Even if I don't mix before dinner.
RobDJ dotcom 2:33 AM - 23 October, 2013
*sweating
d:raf 2:55 AM - 23 October, 2013
Quote:
So the major determining factor of whether or not "live" mixing is required is whether or not the DJ thinks anyone in the room will care and whether or not the DJ is confident in their own skills... gotcha ;).

</Bezzle>

Fixed :)

Just for contrast, from www.edminsider.com

Quote:
Born in 1967, Guetta began spinning beat the old-fashioned way, by mixing vinyl. At 14 years old, he was throwing parties in his basement as a way of keeping his underage passion alive. In 1985, David Guetta turned eighteen and immediately joined the Paris nightlife scene as a house DJ at the Broad Club. In 1987 Guetta’s sets, mostly comprised of popular music, began to morph into his own distinctive house sets. Since house music had originated in Chicago only a few years prior it did not yet have much traction with the public: Guetta’s new musical obsession was not considered a mainstream deviation. A year after Guetta began focusing on House Music he started hosting his own club nights. As a testament to his longevity it is worth noting that by this point in Guetta’s career he had been preforming live for seven years while EDM mainstays such as Skrillex, Hardwell, Avicii, Aforjack, and Zedd had yet to be born.
AKIEM 1:12 AM - 1 March, 2014
Quote:

nm
DJ Reflex 1:26 AM - 1 March, 2014
Quote:
After the first 100 times I'm over "proving myself". While I respect the craft enough to stick to 1200's and continue working to improve my skill, I'm past the point of live mixing while wedding guests are just walking in and looking for their seat. My skill is sufficiently proven after dinner when I warm up the wax and get the dance floor packed every time. As long as I can get 100+ rhythm-less white people ages 1-100 on the floor till they're crowded in, sweeting, and out of breath in their Sunday best I know I've still got it. Even if I don't mix before dinner.

I hear ya!