DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Do any of you use the Bose L1 systems for weddings?

legacy1281 3:23 PM - 25 September, 2013
Hello Serato Fam!

I am wondering if any of you use the Bose L1 systems for weddings. The model II says it is for rooms of up to 500 people. What are your experiences? Do you use one or more of them? Does the bass module provide a decent amount of low end? Do you use it with other subwoofers to getter serious bass?

I already have a couple sets of powered systems. The QSC HPR 2x12" tops + 15" sub, EV LiveX 2x15" tops + 18" sub, a QSC KW 18" sub, and two makie thumps.

Thanks all, hope to hear about your experiences!

- Legacy
deezlee 5:13 PM - 25 September, 2013
I have the same qsc hpr setup as you. At the beginning of the gig I always wish I had a Bose setup but at the end of the gig when the qscs are turned way up I'm glad for them. I do have a L1 compact and it is dope for weddings for ceremony dinner speaces etc.
skinnyguy 5:20 PM - 25 September, 2013
used to. got tired of it. went back to traditional speakers.

model ii with the b2 bass bin for 500 ppl? if you're open minded, sure.

i've only heard the b2 in a small room (bose store) so not sure how it would be in a bigger room. it probably does equal 4 of the b1's...or maybe a bit more. but still, it's all subjective.

coverage is nice. and the look is pleasing to the eye. and that's it.
legacy1281 5:42 PM - 25 September, 2013
I am mainly just trying to simplify things without sacrificing quality. I know the Bose spread the sound around a room pretty nicely, but I just don't know if it won't stack up to a full traditional rig.

It would only be for weddings. Everything else, I would always use a regular system. I'm also wondering if having the L1 Model II, with say a Qsc KW sub would work well to get that low end
skinnyguy 3:51 AM - 26 September, 2013
yea, you can always use another brand of sub. i think best setup with that would be to have at least one b1 with the bose to have it crossed over right (it's all done internally and the bass bins are powered by the stand). and the other brand sub on a booth out so you can control the level of bass.
DJMark 4:11 AM - 26 September, 2013
I did a cocktail/dinner hour thing where the sound guy had set up these powered Bose cabinets that looked like larger versions of the Bose Waveradio. Think he used eight of them around the periphery. They sounded fine, but even at "lounge" verging into "people want to dance a little" kind of levels the speakers' volume limitations were becoming noticeable.

Definitely consider Bose as "not high good value per $ spent". They were always sort of a "Monster Cable" marketing-heavy kind of speaker company, even long before Monster Cable existed.
Dj Wunder 7:58 AM - 26 September, 2013
There's a lounge I spin at every once in a while with this system, and I've never heard coverage like that. Amazing, at low to cocktail hour levels. Beyond that, forget about it. If you're planning on moving them anywhere, like from gig to gig, forget about it. Things things do not last, not on the road.
RobDJ dotcom 5:39 PM - 26 September, 2013
To "think outside the box" for a minute: I was out of the game when I got married and I hired a DJ I barely knew on purpose (long story). When she showed up with a Blows system I was kinda pissed. As DJ's we realize that we need to worry about stuff like sound quality, etc. I Let us not forget that the people paying us to DJ are commonly NOT DJ's and therefore probably focus on different things. Here in Cincinnati it wouldn't matter if that Blows system sounded like liquid gold. If I showed up to a $700 gig with a sissy looking little sound system like that I don't care what it sounded like, the client would demand a refund and run me off. Which is exactly why I was pissed at my own wedding. The Blows sounded fine but it looked sissy and not being a DJ at the time, for the money I paid I wanted big mean speakers to be part of the scenery. I would say maybe it's just me but I see the way my clients' eyes light up when I start rolling in four foot tall cabinets. Maybe it's just a Midwest thing, I don't know.
Taipanic 7:36 PM - 26 September, 2013
If you are going to use the Bose system, I think it would work best with a regular subs - Bose has never been known for it's earth shaking bass. Really, though, if you are spending that kind of money, you might want to look at the small form speakers that Danley & JTR make - big sound, little boxes (pretty big $)
JTR Triple 8 - 1200 watts, 129db, 49 lbs
Danley SM80 - 1600 watts, 134db, 63 lbs.
These are unpowered but a pair of either (with subs) could fill a good sized hall with loud, quality music.

If I had the money or could justify it to myself, I would have 4 Danley Th-118 subs and two SM80s - that would be good for club level sound for 500+
DJ Nin 9:19 PM - 26 September, 2013
LOL @ "The Blows System"

No misquote you asshats.
the_black_one 10:48 PM - 26 September, 2013
No high, no lows, must be Bose

NM NH
tudjarmani 6:24 PM - 22 September, 2014
Just used it for the first time good sound deep bass l1 s with b2 sub!!
Apha1 6:05 PM - 2 October, 2014
Currently running a pair of L1 Model 2s w/ 4 B2s & 2 A1 packlites pushing the extra subs. This configuration replaced 4 JBL eon 515xt & 2 JBL S18 powered subs. The clarity is UN-REAL & the bass is clean. Sure, the BOSE does not have the raw thump of the JBLs, however, this arrangement is lighter & cleaner. Much easier to load in & set-up. You can place the L1s w/ the B2s just about anywhere & you will have full coverage…no matter the size of venue. I noticed if you place the B2s about 2 feet from a wall, you get better bass response. The L1s send out a near 180 degree wave of sound 7 feet high. They cut right through a packed dance floor to the back of house. They are ideal for weddings where you have the ceremony & reception in the same room. No feedback from your mics either….I could go on & on. Superior reproduction & easy all around. They are pricy though. Excellent investment for road dogs.
Joee 9:57 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Currently running a pair of L1 Model 2s w/ 4 B2s & 2 A1 packlites pushing the extra subs. This configuration replaced 4 JBL eon 515xt & 2 JBL S18 powered subs. The clarity is UN-REAL & the bass is clean. Sure, the BOSE does not have the raw thump of the JBLs, however, this arrangement is lighter & cleaner. Much easier to load in & set-up. You can place the L1s w/ the B2s just about anywhere & you will have full coverage…no matter the size of venue. I noticed if you place the B2s about 2 feet from a wall, you get better bass response. The L1s send out a near 180 degree wave of sound 7 feet high. They cut right through a packed dance floor to the back of house. They are ideal for weddings where you have the ceremony & reception in the same room. No feedback from your mics either….I could go on & on. Superior reproduction & easy all around. They are pricy though. Excellent investment for road dogs.

this right here sh!ts all over bose IMO
www.rcf.it
 6 10:55 PM - 2 October, 2014
How much is that RCF set up?

nm
Joee 11:17 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:

nm

whats this 6 wants to buy speakers? it's retail is about $2,000 i got it for $1,350
 6 11:43 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

whats this 6 wants to buy speakers? it's retail is about $2,000 i got it for $1,350

Nope. Don't need to. Just a simple question.

nm
Joee 11:58 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Nope. Don't need to. Just a simple question.

nm

well you know it is quite expensive considering what you're getting one 12" sub & eight 2" tops in one box but it sounds really good, you pay for convenience the system fits in this bag poles wires & power cord
www.rcf.it

it's sounds better than a lot of popular 12" & 15" tops
dj_soo 9:16 PM - 3 October, 2014
How loud does it get?
Joee 9:23 PM - 3 October, 2014
pretty loud specs say 128 db max same as the art 312-A MKIII
 6 10:14 PM - 3 October, 2014
Quote:

Mmmh. Even the old PRX500's reach 135.

nm
Joee 10:27 PM - 3 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

jbl likes to exaggerate there numbers as do most brands now a days, according to jbl there prx715 reaches 136 db…….so that would make it louder than the ev zxa5 who's specs are 133 db

guess what it's not…..now rcf don't exaggerate numbers

come on 6 you have to come better than that over here, i actually know what i'm talking about
 6 10:32 PM - 3 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

jbl likes to exaggerate there numbers as do most brands now a days, according to jbl there prx715 reaches 136 db…….so that would make it louder than the ev zxa5 who's specs are 133 db

guess what it's not…..now rcf don't exaggerate numbers

come on 6 you have to come better than that over here, i actually know what i'm talking about

I don't believe your opinion. I will have to hear them and compare to actually hear the difference. 3 db difference vs 7 db difference. Mmmmh

nm
Joee 10:42 PM - 3 October, 2014
Quote:
I don't believe your opinion. I will have to hear them and compare to actually hear the difference. 3 db difference vs 7 db difference. Mmmmh

nm

you go do that i'll be right here, i'm off tonight……i won't hold my breath waiting thou, i mean we are talking about sixxx here like i said earlier i know better :-)
 6 11:34 PM - 3 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

you go do that i'll be right here, i'm off tonight……i won't hold my breath waiting thou, i mean we are talking about sixxx here like i said earlier i know better :-)

Why would you hold your breath? It's not like this is a priority to me. Like I've said before, most gigs I do already have an existing PA system for me to use.

Don't get all butt hurt just because I don't believe you. I mean, it's not like you've actually done a side by side comparison to know better.

nm
Joee 11:58 PM - 3 October, 2014
Quote:
I mean, it's not like you've actually done a side by side comparison to know better

you're a funny guy sixxx, unlike you i actually own zxa5's along with a hooooolllllleee lot of other speakers--> imageshack.com

this is a situation were you put you're foot in you're mouth, because i have done a side buy side with the prx715 the dxr15 & the ev zxa5 the jbl lost to both the ev & yamaha

Quote:
Why would you hold your breath?

exactly i won't cause you will never have a zxa5 & prx715 in the same room to test, unless you're locale retailer has them both in stock

Quote:
Don't get all butt hurt just because I don't believe you.

why would i be but hurt? i actually own some of the speakers we are talking about….save that reverse sycaloge for someone else ……you're a funny guy bro…….lmao
 6 12:18 AM - 4 October, 2014
" this is a situation were you put you're foot in you're mouth, because i have done a side buy side with the prx715 the dxr15 & the ev zxa5 the jbl lost to both the ev & yamaha"

mmmh... I did say PRX500. Didn't I? So... yeah. Whatever. lol

Again, what speakers are you comparing and what are we talking about?

I'm talking about this speaker system that you posted a link for. Come on man. Follow the thread.

" exactly i won't cause you will never have a zxa5 & prx715 in the same room to test, unless you're locale retailer has them both in stock"

Again, who is wanting to compare those two? lmao!!!! Your reading comprehension is very low.

" why would i be but hurt? i actually own some of the speakers we are talking about….save that reverse sycaloge for someone else ……you're a funny guy bro…….lmao "

Again, look up and please read what comparison I'm looking for.

You're dense.

nm
 6 12:20 AM - 4 October, 2014
Btw, there is a place locally where I could make any speaker comparison happen. :)

nm
Joee 12:59 AM - 4 October, 2014
Quote:
" this is a situation were you put you're foot in you're mouth, because i have done a side buy side with the prx715 the dxr15 & the ev zxa5 the jbl lost to both the ev & yamaha"

mmmh... I did say PRX500. Didn't I? So... yeah. Whatever. lol

Again, what speakers are you comparing and what are we talking about?

I'm talking about this speaker system that you posted a link for. Come on man. Follow the thread.

" exactly i won't cause you will never have a zxa5 & prx715 in the same room to test, unless you're locale retailer has them both in stock"

Again, who is wanting to compare those two? lmao!!!! Your reading comprehension is very low.

" why would i be but hurt? i actually own some of the speakers we are talking about….save that reverse sycaloge for someone else ……you're a funny guy bro…….lmao "

Again, look up and please read what comparison I'm looking for.

You're dense.

nm

LMAO……….

Quote:
Btw, there is a place locally where I could make any speaker comparison happen. :)

nm

STOP LYING!!!!!

BAAWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH
 6 1:05 AM - 4 October, 2014
So now you accuse me of lying.

I don't know what you have against me but whatever.

Look up Freestyle Entertainment Bakersfield. I'm sure they have a lot more than whatever you own. lol

;)

nm
Joee 1:15 AM - 4 October, 2014
so sensitive!

bawahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
 6 1:20 AM - 4 October, 2014
lol @ senstive.

So, what? You didn't have a come back for me not lying? Made you shut up? lol

Yeah. I thought so.

;)

nm
Joee 1:38 AM - 4 October, 2014
bawahhahhahahhaahahahahahahah

s1285.photobucket.com
 6 1:42 AM - 4 October, 2014
I know I hurt your feelings because I didn't believe your opinion.

It's okay. You'll get over it. ;-)

nm
Joee 12:43 PM - 4 October, 2014
LMAO @
Quote:
I know I hurt your feelings because I didn't believe your opinion.

s1285.photobucket.com

you look like you have a case of Constipation, my a suggest some--> www.doctoroz.com

this should keep you regular ;) be sure to get plenty of fiber in you're diet
rayjthedj 1:45 PM - 4 October, 2014
Why make audio opinions personnel???????

Can't we all just be friends :)
 6 4:18 PM - 4 October, 2014
Keep going Joee. You're not there yet. ;-)

lmao

nm
Joee 2:45 PM - 5 October, 2014
Quote:
Why make audio opinions personnel???????

Can't we all just be friends :)

these are not opinion, there fact

the jbl prx500's 135db & the prx715 136db rated

can not come close to the output of the ev zxa5 133db rated, personnel? man the is what we do for fun nothing personal here

Quote:
Keep going Joee. You're not there yet. ;-)

lmao

nm

where?
CMOS 6:51 PM - 6 October, 2014
reverse sycaloge is my new fav term on this site.
SoundJunkie 10:43 AM - 22 May, 2016
First, I deal in P.A. and pro audio gear, use and new. I'm a sound engineer, live musician (keyboard and vocals). I have a small sound rental business and also provide live sound for DJ's, cinema and some top notch music acts. I've done shoot outs with a lot of gear in the last 10 years. I'm always constantly upgrading my band and personal setup. There's a place for a lot of gear in the market. Bose has great marketing. They've got a lot of other companies to jump on board with small line array on a sub. They are great for small rooms or if you want a low throw system. I've owned K-array K1 system, Bose L1 compact and classic, Fender Expo, BagAmp BA875. None of these will get to concert levels. They are used because they are lightweight and convenient. Do they sound good, to me yes and in the right situation. I compensate the Bose L1 subs on occasion with other subs. The Bose L1 subs are terrible value. Comparing Bose L1 systems to higher end QSC, JBL, EV, RCF, etc is like comparing apples and oranges. The Bose L1 systems could be right for a lot of situations but absolutely wrong for others. I use my Bose L1 system because they are aesthetically pleasing, lightweight, convenient and I got them cheap. I only use them for audiences under 200 and for the client that doesn't want it too loud. I love having them in my inventory, but I think there are better values out there, especially in the used market.
577er 3:22 PM - 22 May, 2016
To the original question of using them for weddings, for background music, satellite systems, toasts, ceremonies yes absolutely. I've heard them in these situations and they are great. Their physical shape is pefect for weddings where tripods are a tripping hazard and looks are actually as important as the music. For dancing they cant keep up with 12" tops. If I found a pair used for a good price i'd grab them for the aforementioned uses absolutely.
deezlee 3:56 PM - 22 May, 2016
For small high end weddings showing up with a small sack of Speaker bags that say "Bose" on them works well. They sound good in small venues with awkward shaped rooms, rooms w no room for a monitor etc. 9 out of ten wealthy (or sorta wealthy, or aspiring to be wealthy) people will walk up and say "Bose has the best sound" even if 10/10 crusty sound guys would say the opposite. They're also really good for outside situations where you need a lot of coverage and a lot of throw but not concert sound. You can cover a huge field with background music and still hear the highs at distances that you'd only hear bass from a normal speaker.
bdtheolddj 7:17 PM - 2 July, 2017
I've used the Bose L1 system along with a 1,000 watt QSC Bass speaker...Blows away anything I've ever used before.
Kiwiseerco 9:49 AM - 4 July, 2017
yes, I have used it, but actually I just know few things about Bose L1
TAbands 9:21 PM - 8 July, 2017
finally grabbed my first L1 compact this past Spring...we do a lot of wedding events..my primary biz is providing sound for full bands..ie reception bands, etc, as well as ceremonies which typically include maybe a keyboard, wirless lav, etc

anyway, just did a wedding that had 3 segments - 1 was garden ceremony - 3 acoustic guitarists, wireless lav, reader mic on stand, (2) mackie 450s on tripods easily covered the 200 seated guests.
then they moved to the patio of this large mansion where they wanted acoustic guitar guy on a stool singing...the bose L1 compact covered that, the artist was perched on stool right beside the bose (no feedback) and yet the sound was easily heard and nicely spread over the 200 mingling guests..couldn't be happier with that use of the bose.
live band of course was serious 3-way tops and subs per side

the following weekend was an outdoor wedding..again , full PA for live band, but the ceremony included acoustic guitar, keyboard, vocals and they wanted the sound up front to be "etherical" while still reaching the 150th guest seated in the back...I had originally planned on a couple mackies/eons on sticks and possibly posting 2 more towards the back doing a side fill thing...but we tried the L1 compact... a single L1 compact...and they were completely happy with it...perfect was their word. I'll grab another one at some point..
these are not DJ rigs..but they are great coctail systems.

I have gone up against the original L1 bose... a dJ brought his rig in for a party...when the room was empty it did sound impressive...amazed at how much was coming out of the system..once a couple hundred guests arrived and were laughing, shouting, talking over each other...the bose pretty much got lost for karaeoke time...you could hear it and everyone was yelling and encouraging the singers...but then when it was time for me to bring up my rig for the band.. i ran a quick tune via my iphone into just a single 3-way w/powered mackie 1501 sub per side and it crushed the DJ..not a fair fight...just saying that it took my rig to be able to deliver sound levels to the room at that point.
but yes, i can see having an L1 compact perched on top of mayb a powered 12in EV or similar quality powered sub, run a mixer in front...and you'd have a great small pool party or very small reception fun system for sure..might even find myself doing that one day...long as I know there's the rest of my PA in the trailer if needed.
TAbands 1:57 PM - 21 July, 2017
followup...was at an outdoor vendor event last night...acoustic guitar guy with vocals was out there playing and of course what immediately caught my attention was the L2 he was running through..he was using the Bose mixer that comes with it. First noting, that the Bose had complete command of the area...I deliberately walked a 180 around him and it was even sound all around. it had a bit of a harsh "fuzzy" top end to it...coulda been his piezo on his guitar as much as anything...something I would use a better grade mixer and/or a guitar pedal to help...but my initial impression was that the compact sounds better...but again, I've always run a mackie 1202 vlz pro mixer in front of our unit
Mostly Lucid 12:27 PM - 4 October, 2017
My wife and I use 2 Bose L2's for all of our weddings. We have never received anything less than praise for them. I have several other systems that we use for live sound rental, for a full band with kick etc. nothing replaces some double 18s. But for weddings the Bose does a amazing job. Go listen to them before you run them down. Also, the T1 is essential -- it really makes them shine.
TAbands 6:52 PM - 3 November, 2017
had to circle back around now after adding more L1C to the inventory... I have used the units now for several other outdoor weddings and continue to be amazed...a single L1c has covered up to 185 guests with the usual pastor headset, but also with trax and with live string quartet/trio source...the initial temptation is to hit it hard, and it's a pretty short ride to find the clipping point..but once I dial it back and then walk the area.. I realize it's a different tool and it works so well...the sleek appearance has also helped me score more business..in fact, the unit itself and a power cord are all there is out there... I run wireless sennheiser reciver belt pack at the bose so I'm transmitting to it from whereever is out of the way out of sight for the event... have made white spandex slip covers for the entire unit...top array and the base module..so it's perfect for wedding cosmetics now as well...2nd unit was added recently...in proper spacing, in stereo, these things are really enjoyable.
TAbands 5:55 PM - 8 March, 2018
quick update...received the first EV ZXA1 12" compact sub yesterday..granted I need to get it into a larger room area as we would typically encounter in a small wedding, and also outdoors with a lot of yard around..so see just how well it will project...but in my studio with a single Bose L1c on top...oh my! the bose creates a nice round warm low end..and i think it runs down to around 68hz? just not thump.. and I knew that going in...but with this compact EV...all that thump and room swelling sub freqs are there... I'm quite impressed with the unit
not saying I'm ready to make it my DJ rig..but definitely saying that if needed, I now am able to add more low end to a wedding ceremony portion of the gig if music source requires it...and in a pinch, i could place 2 L1c units along with one EV sub for a combination of coctail/dj for small venue and feel like I've offered the client a solid pro experience.
The Times 4:58 PM - 9 March, 2018
A buddy of mine let me use them for a few smaller gigs. The coverage blew me away, they way they dont fall off/the distance of the throw. It was so long ago though that I cannot remember how the bass was.

I have a QSC kSub, would an L1 and a Ksub be good enough for venues with up to like 200 people?
deezlee 5:21 PM - 9 March, 2018
For coverage as far as background/cocktail music and speeches, an L1 and an extra sub is crazy. Sometimes I'll walk to the car to get something and I'll trip because I can still hear the music clearly down the hill and around the corner or some shight.
That said, for a dance floor (even with just 20 people of something) I like to have a "real" system (QSC hpr 12's on sticks and an hpr sub).
TAbands 6:25 PM - 9 March, 2018
thanks guys. yeah... for years my daughter's DJ rig has been italian/usa made mackie 450 tops, and SWA1501 subs...and she's never lacked for enough system..but a female hauling that rig around is asking a lot.
I have about a dozen of the 450s and a number of the 15 and 18 subs that have served us well for many years..
then we have full 3-way mains over subs for our wedding reception live band type thing...and of course that rig can crush the DJ rigs we find at these events...but that's not the point.
I've definitely been impressed with the volume levels of the QSC K series...if I was starting with nothing.. I'd certainly feel like I was showing up with a respectable rig if I had the QSC or EV or JBL logos...not about to knock any of the stuff out there...prices and sizes to suit everyone. I'm anxious to see how the lil EV 12 projects...happy with every other aspect of it so far.
JB6356 1:13 PM - 6 August, 2019
This is my 30th year, full time for 26 years. In 2016 I saw the Bose Classic L1 in a music store that a friend DJ wanted me to check out. I was not impressed. It was distorted and didn’t sound very good at all. But then when it came to my attention from the DJ friend, that the music store had it set up incorrectly. So he decided he would set his up and let me hear it. He lives out in a rural area so he set it up outside. Just one L1 Classic and two B1’s. I was blown away by the clarity and the distance the sound could go. We walked a little over a 1/4 of a mile away and it was just as clear as a bell. Like a wall of sound. He had it hooked up to a Numark mixer. I immediately went and bought a Classic. The guy at the music store told me I was wasting my time it’s the Bose and was trying to sway me into buying a cheaper JBL set up. I struggled to get any real good setting for sound for a couple of weeks. It’s definitely a game changer going from powered conventional box speakers and going to this. You really have to get used to the fact you don’t turn every trim wide open as you would do with conventional box speakers. I went on the Bose forums and started reading other DJs settings and how they were tuning them to get great sound. Well now it’s 2019 and to make a long story short in between that time I have gone through owning the Model 1, then the Model 2’s with a B2 each. I have easily done events with 450 people with one L1 and a B2. Also through the years I have found the best way to get massive sound out of them is to pair it with a Bose Tonematch mixer. I went through multiple DJ mixers and then band type mixers but none of them really sounded great. In 2017 I got the T1 mixer and it was like a blanket was lifted off of the towers! Now I have a TS8 and use the T1 for ceremonies. I now own two Model 2’s with a B2 each. Two compacts for smaller events, a single compact can be used for ceremonies or a cocktail/social hour. If I ever had to go back to any conventional box speaker set up again, I’d quit!
JB6356 1:15 PM - 6 August, 2019
Quote:
This is my 30th year, full time for 26 years. In 2016 I saw the Bose Classic L1 in a music store that a friend DJ wanted me to check out. I was not impressed. It was distorted and didn’t sound very good at all. But then when it came to my attention from the DJ friend, that the music store had it set up incorrectly. So he decided he would set his up and let me hear it. He lives out in a rural area so he set it up outside. Just one L1 Classic and two B1’s. I was blown away by the clarity and the distance the sound could go. We walked a little over a 1/4 of a mile away and it was just as clear as a bell. Like a wall of sound. He had it hooked up to a Numark mixer. I immediately went and bought a Classic. The guy at the music store told me I was wasting my time it’s the Bose and was trying to sway me into buying a cheaper JBL set up. I struggled to get any real good setting for sound for a couple of weeks. It’s definitely a game changer going from powered conventional box speakers and going to this. You really have to get used to the fact you don’t turn every trim wide open as you would do with conventional box speakers. I went on the Bose forums and started reading other DJs settings and how they were tuning them to get great sound. Well now it’s 2019 and to make a long story short in between that time I have gone through owning the Model 1, then the Model 2’s with a B2 each. I have easily done events with 450 people with one L1 and a B2. Also through the years I have found the best way to get massive sound out of them is to pair it with a Bose Tonematch mixer. I went through multiple DJ mixers and then band type mixers but none of them really sounded great. In 2017 I got the T1 mixer and it was like a blanket was lifted off of the towers! Now I have a TS8 and use the T1 for ceremonies. I now own two Model 2’s with a B2 each. Two compacts for smaller events, a single compact can be used for ceremonies or a cocktail/social hour. If I ever had to go back to any conventional box speaker set up again, I’d quit!

Oops! I meant 2006, not 2016!
dj_soo 5:57 PM - 6 August, 2019
The fact that you need to buy a proprietary mixer in order to not have the boss stuff sound terrible is one of the many reasons I tend to stay away from their gear.

I have a lounge residency that uses the L1s. They sound pretty meh to me.
DJ Reflex 4:23 AM - 7 August, 2019
True, Bose does need its own proprietary EQ system to get them to sound good. Even back in the 90's I had to buy a special Bose sound card to get my 802's to sound good with the sub. I gotta say though - once I had it hooked up properly, that system was awesome!
JB6356 4:31 AM - 7 August, 2019
With the 30 day money back guarantee how can you go wrong! 😄

Did they even have that back then?
dj_soo 10:15 PM - 7 August, 2019
Quote:
True, Bose does need its own proprietary EQ system to get them to sound good. Even back in the 90's I had to buy a special Bose sound card to get my 802's to sound good with the sub. I gotta say though - once I had it hooked up properly, that system was awesome!

I think it’s ridiculous that you need to pay extra for extra gear to get their already overpriced speakers to sound good. Especially considering its proprietarery
DJ Reflex 2:17 AM - 8 August, 2019
I get that, but I guess the sacrifice (at least in my case back in the 90's) was bigger sound from a smaller box. The custom EQ rack compensated for the small enclosures and light weight plastics. I traded my monster-sized wooden 15" cabinets for the Bose system and got a much fuller sound. The sub was manageable too and didn't eat up a bunch of precious amp power. Nowadays, the proprietary EQs are built into the powered speakers. Every model these days has their own custom settings - QSC, Peavey, Bassboss, EV... all of them. Nobody questions the cost nowadays because it's built in.
Bose overpriced, yes. But then I spent nearly 10 grand on Bassboss subs and haven't looked back! :)