DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

From 57 to 61 or...

AKIEM 1:57 AM - 24 September, 2013
I just want to get some definitive answers to some questions.
(Probably already answered, pardon me)

1 On the 61 the mute/transformer switches are NOT midi assignable, and never will be?

2 FlexFX can send to the software post fader and return post fader? Essentially can I get the same function as the 57 route through the aux trick. Would I need to use the aux channel?

3 (might as well ask again) 61/62 There will never ever be a firmware upgrade or something allowing switches to be turned off while midi assigned?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:35 PM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:
1 On the 61 the mute/transformer switches are NOT midi assignable, and never will be?

No. Unfortunately not.

Quote:
\2 FlexFX can send to the software post fader and return post fader? Essentially can I get the same function as the 57 route through the aux trick. Would I need to use the aux channel?

Yes.. you would get the same functionality (being able to simply press the Flex FX button to effect the audio on that channel). No you would not need to use the Aux Channel.

Quote:
3 (might as well ask again) 61/62 There will never ever be a firmware upgrade or something allowing switches to be turned off while midi assigned?

Not on the 61. As you now know the 62 has MIDI layers that can be mapped (although the eqs, mic, main volume controls, and effect controls will still retain their original function regardless of the layer you are in.)
AKIEM 4:45 PM - 27 September, 2013
Thanks Zach. I'm grumbling about those 'mute switches' but that narrows some things down for me tho.
AKIEM 4:50 PM - 27 September, 2013
What I'm looking at is the 62 has lots of functions and things going on I'm not really interested in - and I want to avoid getting it instead of the 61 all for one extra function or whatever.

61 may have been perfection if those switches were assignable... jmo at the moment.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 6:56 PM - 1 October, 2013
AKIEM: How are you controlling your Loops, Cues, SP-6 and Song loading in Scratch Live? Im just curious...

Ive been able to get rid of Dicers and my LPD 24 ever since I've been using the 62. Way easier to set-up at gigs, I didnt lose any functionality. I am actually triggering combinations more quickly, coming up with new Transitions on the fly and setting up for the gig quicker with less wires. I've even re programmed buttons on the 62 to trigger Software FX and hidden MIDI Features.

The 61 is great, but Its more for someone who wants a simple 2 channel mixer with Serato compatibility - thats it.
AKIEM 6:44 AM - 2 October, 2013
On the 57 cues, 3 per deck so I do t have to switch layers. I would if I could tell which group I was in. SP6 I don't use much because its not synced, and won't receive an instant double with a button push. When I use it, I trigger from a nano kontrol. Loops and song loading from the joystick and rotary. I'm using one deck with instant doubles on the joystick.

What I'm trying to avoid with the 62 is, first I don't really need the effects, post fader echo, loop roll and that loop slow down thing is all I need. I've never used anything but post fader delay on the 57. I -hate- how instant doubles is triggered. And I'm not sure I would be satisfied using one of the cue buttons. I'm partial to the joysticks for instant doubles, and I'm not sure how I will trigger those on my next mixer.

I'm working on incorporating the bridge - and the only way to do that how I want I have to use a second midi controller anyway.

I think with a 62 I would be 'stuck' with a workflow that I have evolved away from. I'm not working with symmetry of two decks anymore and I think the best way forward will modular.

I'm sad the "joysticks" on the 61 do not trigger anything, and I'm sad the Flex-FX is not triggerable with a foot switch. For me the mixer would be near perfection with those two features. The joysticks on the 57 have become very important for my workflow, and if I have to use something else it will be off mixer to stay modular.

So I'm not decided yet. I just wish the best features of the 57 were carried on.

Nm
nik39 9:19 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
I'm sad the Flex-FX is not triggerable with a foot switch

You could map the software Efx to a deck by using Midi.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 3:38 PM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
On the 57 cues, 3 per deck so I do t have to switch layers. I would if I could tell which group I was in. SP6 I don't use much because its not synced, and won't receive an instant double with a button push. When I use it, I trigger from a nano kontrol. Loops and song loading from the joystick and rotary. I'm using one deck with instant doubles on the joystick.

What I'm trying to avoid with the 62 is, first I don't really need the effects, post fader echo, loop roll and that loop slow down thing is all I need. I've never used anything but post fader delay on the 57. I -hate- how instant doubles is triggered. And I'm not sure I would be satisfied using one of the cue buttons. I'm partial to the joysticks for instant doubles, and I'm not sure how I will trigger those on my next mixer.

I'm working on incorporating the bridge - and the only way to do that how I want I have to use a second midi controller anyway.

I think with a 62 I would be 'stuck' with a workflow that I have evolved away from. I'm not working with symmetry of two decks anymore and I think the best way forward will modular.

I'm sad the "joysticks" on the 61 do not trigger anything, and I'm sad the Flex-FX is not triggerable with a foot switch. For me the mixer would be near perfection with those two features. The joysticks on the 57 have become very important for my workflow, and if I have to use something else it will be off mixer to stay modular.

So I'm not decided yet. I just wish the best features of the 57 were carried on.

Nm

Understood. I was a little bummed about the Joysticks aswell, but the other benefits the 62 provides for me (now that I am used to it) overpowers anything I "lost" by leaving the 57.

Let us know if you have any more questions, we are glad to help.
AKIEM 6:21 PM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sad the Flex-FX is not triggerable with a foot switch

You could map the software Efx to a deck by using Midi.

Right. But in SDJ can you map a send to the effects engine? You can in SSL or on the 57.

We can get the effected signal post fader which is good and all that's needed to "echo out", but how would you add a delay to just a portion of a phrase?

The FlexFX is a send before the engine, in SSL and I'm assuming SDJ the only thing you can do to stop sending to the effect engine is turn the engine off which defeats the post fader effect in the first place.

So, not having used SDJ yet, is there a way to midi trigger on/off SEND to the effects engine? Or on the 61/62 midi trigger the FlexFX?

That was the reason for my foot switch modification to the 57.
AKIEM 6:25 PM - 2 October, 2013
You can't in SSL or on the 57, is what I meant...