Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Macbook pro 2012 10.8.5 OSx and serato 1.3 using a ddj-sx.cpu drop outs????

Product
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
LSD-J 11:20 PM - 16 September, 2013
so as i just done the upgrades a few hours ago, i expected everything to run better....i seem to be having CPU dropouts at random every few minutes and also when i use the pitch control. anybody have a problem with this? was told by a user that i could revert back to the old mac os and serato....any other ideas?
DJMark 2:43 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
so as i just done the upgrades a few hours ago, i expected everything to run better....i seem to be having CPU dropouts at random every few minutes

You just upgraded to 10.8.5, and the dropouts started after that?

Or were they happening before, and you were hoping the OS update would fix the problem?
dj miguelito 4:55 AM - 17 September, 2013
I am having the same problem with my macbook pro 10.8.5.
I have drop out every hour
DJMark 4:57 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:

And this is only ***after*** you updated the OS?
LSD-J 10:20 AM - 17 September, 2013
Yeah mark...only after the OS upgrade...not sure whether it is the OS or serato.
DJ Swayy 2:55 PM - 17 September, 2013
Same problem here too. Kinda freaked me out the night I was playing. I thought it was going to really embarass me.

I bought my Macbook in February 2013, haven't upgraded the OS, just Serato and I am also using the DDJ SX.

What's the fix?
LSD-J 3:04 PM - 17 September, 2013
@swayy....the it must be the Serato 1.3? because if you having the same problem with your original OS which i would presume will be 10.4...then it can only be serato.

i have not found a fix yet and am still waiting for anyone to let me know...track the discussion and we can both find out lol
DJ Swayy 3:07 PM - 17 September, 2013
I did notice something I hadn't seen before, at the top of SDJ there was a button with the acronym "CPU" beside it would flash, sometimes amber other times red. When it flashed red the sound would cut out for like half a second.

What could be causing this?
dj miguelito 7:48 PM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

And this is only ***after*** you updated the OS?

No After I update to 1.3
Now every version from 1.1.2 and up crashes.
I think it because my large library which I made it small, but still having problem with it.!
LSD-J 12:17 PM - 18 September, 2013
Sent this thread to them on twitter they said they will look into it and follow up...hopefully it will be soon as I use the ddj and serato 6 nights a week...

Lets hope they find something
DJ Swayy 12:25 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Sent this thread to them on twitter they said they will look into it and follow up...hopefully it will be soon as I use the ddj and serato 6 nights a week...

Lets hope they find something

Cool
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:44 PM - 22 September, 2013
Hey LSD-J,

Sorry for the slow response here. I can't seem to reproduce this here with Mac OS X 10.8.5 unfortunately.

Can you let me know what your USB buffer is set to?

Also, can you open up Activity Monitor, while Serato DJ is running, take a screenshot and upload it?

Sam.
djvik9534 11:02 PM - 22 September, 2013
Try reducing the gain to 89 in the setup of sertato 1.3
DJ Dynamics 5:01 AM - 23 September, 2013
Guys- NEVER update your OSX UNTIL Serato gives the green light to do so. This update is brand new. Peace- DJ James
Phil3345 10:40 AM - 23 September, 2013
Sam.
My cpu light also flashes.Its very random tho but I did take screen shots well pics on my phone when it was doing it.Its happened when I havent shut my mac down for a few days but also when it was just restarted.Nothing else was running and its just very random.Its happened when im using video so turned the video off still happened and its happened when im not using video.
Mine is a 2011 macbook pro 15inch quad core 16 gb ram
LSD-J 11:28 AM - 23 September, 2013
@sam the buffer I never touched as yet and is set at 512/10. Unfortunately I will only be able to to run the activity monitor when I get to the club in like 6 hours. And then will run it.

I have noticed that my music is disappearing as well. So I have to add music every time I find a track that isn't able to load again.
LSD-J 11:38 AM - 23 September, 2013
Any specific tab I would need to the activity monitor or a window within it you will need to see?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:11 PM - 23 September, 2013
Can everyone except LSD-J, please start you own separate help threads? It's useful for us to be able to help everyone individually and also for us to track these issues independently.

Let me know when you run Activity Monitor and please upload the screenshot. Just the main window with all the processes and percentages.

Does it make a difference if you change the buffer? I just wonder if there is something strange happening at that setting.

Sam.
LSD-J 11:32 PM - 23 September, 2013
tinypic.com

unfortunately i am in a really shitty hotel where i only have wifi in the lobby so i could not check to see if you had said anything while i was playing.

will change the buffer rate and check again when i am back at the club.

i went into a dj shop and they had a ddj setup with a Mac...the Mac was not updated but the Serato was and it done the same thing as my setup does in the club.
LSD-J 11:36 PM - 23 September, 2013
the screenshot was taking just as i let go of the pitch...which is when the CPU dropout symbol appears in the corner.
LSD-J 11:37 PM - 23 September, 2013
also the program does not seem to pick up the controller at first, i have to switch it off and on again for serato to pick it up.
LSD-J 6:48 PM - 27 September, 2013
Sam? Still waiting to hear about the screenshot?
7:12 PM, 29 Sep 2013
Discussion moved to Pioneer controller Help
Serato, Support
Sam GG 12:35 AM - 30 September, 2013
Hey LSD-J

Samuel works in another team and kindly jumped in to help you out when we were really slammed, I'll continue working with you to get this sorted.

Quote:
I did notice something I hadn't seen before, at the top of SDJ there was a button with the acronym "CPU" beside it would flash, sometimes amber other times red. When it flashed red the sound would cut out for like half a second.

What could be causing this?

Couple initial steps I want you to try, connect your controller to a different USB port and also try a different cable if you have one.

Also your OS update may of changed some of your settings so it is worth going through these steps again: serato.com

Also that screen shot looks fine to me,

Let me know how you go,

Sam
LSD-J 2:59 PM - 30 September, 2013
Just checked those settings and they all the same. i have noticed that when i changed the buffer rate to 1024/20 the drops do not happen as often and sometimes not at all.

will have to check the usb ports tonight and if the problem still persists i will change the usb 2moro and check again.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:01 PM - 30 September, 2013
Hey LSD-J,

Quote:
i have noticed that when i changed the buffer rate to 1024/20 the drops do not happen as often and sometimes not at all.

This really looks like it could be a CPU issue if you are able to decrease the dropouts by increasing the buffer size.

Do you have ANY programs running in the background by choice? ie, a web browser or iTunes?

Are all the tracks that you are playing analysed already?

let me know,

Sam
LSD-J 2:01 PM - 2 October, 2013
No other programs running in the background and I doubt it is a CPU problem as there was an other user who had the same problem using a Mac and the Dj store I went to had a demo model setup running a Mac i7 as well with serato 1.3.0 and their's had the same CPU dropouts when the pitch control was used.

All the tracks have been analysed. David from support has been emailing me and suggested I change the databasev2 to something.

Will try that now.
LSD-J 2:05 PM - 2 October, 2013
Do you think I should upgrade to 1.5?
LSD-J 5:14 PM - 10 October, 2013
Sam GG?
LSD-J 5:16 PM - 10 October, 2013
the database issue has been fixed. but the dropouts still occur and as i said i noticed it on another setup as well. would upgrading to 1.5 be an option? and will i be able to downgrade back to 1.3 if need be?
Asu 6:46 PM - 10 October, 2013
Quote:
the database issue has been fixed. but the dropouts still occur and as i said i noticed it on another setup as well. would upgrading to 1.5 be an option? and will i be able to downgrade back to 1.3 if need be?

Are you using the Beta 10.8.5? if so,apple updated that with another beta...i believe the official 10.8.5 is now out for everyone in the appstore...

So which version of 10.8.5 do you have,i think that's where your issue may be.

What are your specs anyway? they aren't up there
Serato, Support
Sam GG 11:05 PM - 10 October, 2013
Hey LSD-J,

You can upgrade to 1.5: serato.com you will also find in that link all previous versions that you can revert to. Upgrading will not necessarily stop your dropouts.

As Asu has said above can you give us your full specs?

Cheers, Sam
Pete Input 11:36 PM - 10 October, 2013
LSD-J:

You have missing and corrupted files. Get rid of those first...
Serato, Support
Sam GG 1:13 AM - 11 October, 2013
Thanks pete!
LSD-J 7:41 AM - 14 October, 2013
I have already got rid of the corrupted files. Was not that as I said a Dj store had the exact same problem and didn't even know about it until I showed then what was happening.

My specs are:
MacBook Pro 15"
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OS X 10.8.5(12F45)

Maybe Asu is right and it could have been the OS but a previous user had the same dropouts and was not using the same OS update. Think the user said he was on 10.7
Asu 12:10 PM - 14 October, 2013
Quote:
I have already got rid of the corrupted files. Was not that as I said a Dj store had the exact same problem and didn't even know about it until I showed then what was happening.

My specs are:
MacBook Pro 15"
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OS X 10.8.5(12F45)

Maybe Asu is right and it could have been the OS but a previous user had the same dropouts and was not using the same OS update. Think the user said he was on 10.7

Personally,i'm using 1.3 for gigs as i test 1.5 on a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15" 2.8GHz,8GB ,10.8.5...no issues with 1.3,haven't noticed any issues with 1.5....the dropouts used to happen i remember when Serato DJ first came out and they were happening once or twice every hour...the last 1 hr test i did last week,i didn't notice such an issue with 1.5,i keep the audio buffer at 5ms
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:09 PM - 15 October, 2013
Hey LSD-J,

Are you able to try connecting your controller to another machine to see if this is a hardware issue?

Let me know how you go,

Sam
7:04 AM, 30 Oct 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.