Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Announcing, the Pioneer DDJ-SR for Serato DJ

6:50 AM, 12 Sep 2013
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
thebulge 7:12 AM - 12 September, 2013
Size is interesting.
DJ Jimmy C 7:22 AM - 12 September, 2013
I see that it only has RCA out put. This may be a issue for some DJs that take this to the clubs do not have their own equipment but only run XLR without mixers.
Serato, Support
Mak T 7:24 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I see that it only has RCA out put. This may be a issue for some DJs that take this to the clubs do not have their own equipment but only run XLR without mixers.

1/4" Jack Inputs are available as well Jimmy :D
Joe Fresh 7:34 AM - 12 September, 2013
As a DDJ-SX owner, when I first saw this my stomach sank a little. First thought - great, my controller's already outdated. As I learned more, I feel better. It isn't replacing the DDJ-SX, it's another option.

My thoughts:

Smaller and lighter controller - cool.
USB powered - awesome.
Limited outputs - not so cool.
New pad modes - interesting but FX controls on top are enough for me.
No needle search - I'd miss it, like having it.
Loop indicator - hell yeah, wish the DDJ-SX had it.
Smaller pitch faders at the top - not a fan.

I have no idea how you would dual-layer tracks on a single channel with a single fader (as opposed to the DDJ-SX's 4 channel faders), but there must be a way.

All in all, looks like a solid controller. I'd compare it to how Traktor has the S2 and the S4 (this would be the S2), a smaller, slightly trimmed down but still good option, especially if you only need two channels.

Curious to see what the price point will be on this. Rumor is $699 MSRP, which would save you a couple hundred bucks compared to the DDJ-SX.

Pioneer has been cranking out Serato DJ hardware, pretty exciting stuff!

Video from Pioneer - Watchwww.youtube.com
DjHabibi 7:34 AM - 12 September, 2013
Why won't the sx get the performance plus pads? I feel like I kind of got punished for jumping on board early and besides that I like having the 4 channels and all of the output options on the sx.
Joe Fresh 7:35 AM - 12 September, 2013
My mistake - AGIProDJ has it listed at $599 - www.agiprodj.com
Joe Fresh 7:41 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Why won't the sx get the performance plus pads? I feel like I kind of got punished for jumping on board early and besides that I like having the 4 channels and all of the output options on the sx.

I also like having 4 channels, XLR master out, 1/4" booth out, etc.
The performance plus pads look cool, but some of those effects (transform, combo FX) can be done with the actual FX controls on the top. Still, using the pads makes it look and feel more performance-ish to some.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:41 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Hey mate, the pad plus mode is actually done in firmware on the unit and not a software feature. The only thing it receives from the software is the track BPM.

Sam.
monkey 7:43 AM - 12 September, 2013
I just sold my DDJ-SX and bought the Vestax VCI-380 as I needed a more portable controller. Damn!

Anyway, I might be able to change my mind :)
With that in mind - questions for you guys at Serato:

What are the dimensions for this?
What is the weight?
Does the USB power mean that the mixer is no longer a stand alone mixer? I guess so as only 1 aux input - but maybe if powered?
And does this mean a reduction in quality anywhere?

Thanks!
Joe Fresh 7:47 AM - 12 September, 2013
I just noticed that the rings in the center of the aluminum platters don't have illuminated markers like the DDJ-SX has. Might explain how it's able to be USB powered.
Serato, Support
Mak T 7:49 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
I just sold my DDJ-SX and bought the Vestax VCI-380 as I needed a more portable controller. Damn!

Anyway, I might be able to change my mind :)
With that in mind - questions for you guys at Serato:

What are the dimensions for this?
What is the weight?
Does the USB power mean that the mixer is no longer a stand alone mixer? I guess so as only 1 aux input - but maybe if powered?
And does this mean a reduction in quality anywhere?

Thanks!

Hey Monkey,

Dimensions can be found via the Pioneer DJ website:

pioneerdj.com (click link)

- This is a USB powered controller, and no this controller will not be a standalone mixer.

- Pioneer make great hardware man, there definitely isn't a kink in their armor.

Mak T
nik39 7:50 AM - 12 September, 2013
Four decks, and only two channels? Any details about how this works?
ManuelH 7:51 AM - 12 September, 2013
Wow very cool Controller with nice Features. I love the pissibility to see the loop-length straight on the controller! But why have you (or Pioneer?) omitted the needle search function? :(
DeeWhy 7:51 AM - 12 September, 2013
anyone know if it will have the same size jog wheels as the S-X? Otherwise, I can imagine this being more handy in a club. USB powered means a fast setup. I use an S-1 on USB power, which means I just pull out one of the CDJs, and use the RCA into the club mixer, and take "figure 8 power plug from the CDJ and plug it into my laptop power supply. Means I can change over in about 30s to a minute- much faster than the SSL guys! Also an S-X must be a bitch in clubs with a small booth.
Serato, Support
Mak T 7:54 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

When you switch the layer that channel will also switch - which corresponds to the virtual decks in the Serato DJ software.

Mak T
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:54 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Fader pick up and deck layer switches.

The DDJ-ERGO, DDJ-WeGO and Reloop Terminal Mix 2 actually already do this.
Joe Fresh 7:54 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing.
DJ KOLOS 7:57 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
As a DDJ-SX owner, when I first saw this my stomach sank a little. First thought - great, my controller's already outdated. As I learned more, I feel better. It isn't replacing the DDJ-SX, it's another option.

My thoughts:

USB powered - awesome.

I have no idea how you would dual-layer tracks on a single channel with a single fader (as opposed to the DDJ-SX's 4 channel faders), but there must be a way.

All in all, looks like a solid controller. I'd compare it to how Traktor has the S2 and the S4 (this would be the S2), a smaller, slightly trimmed down but still good option, especially if you only need two channels.

Curious to see what the price point will be on this. Rumor is $699 MSRP, which would save you a couple hundred bucks compared to the DDJ-SX.

Ditto this! Same feeling as I sold my CDJ2000nexus' to get the DDJ-SX a couple of months ago. I'm not buying anything for a little while till things settle down a bit.
Joe Fresh 8:05 AM - 12 September, 2013
Nik - this video on the DDJ-ERGO helped me understand.
youtu.be
carnage 8:06 AM - 12 September, 2013
Its interesting that the pitch controls are top right - even more fiddly and likely to result in accidental touches on the jogs etc. Guess what with Sync this is where its going - being able to beat match is irrelevant in the new world and so the pitch control gets moved further away.

i actually know a guy in Spain who mixes out a lot (He'd never touched and DJ stuff until University - at which point i had been playing for 6/7 yrs and played out all over), and I discoverd recently he cant beat match and has never mixed on TTs. All done with sync.

Now I'm not knocking - i for one now view beat matching as bread and butter and am glad i can put that to one side and concentrate on getting really creative etc. But all DJs have to be able to beat match.
DeeWhy 8:18 AM - 12 September, 2013
I agree- I resisted sync until I found myself at Serato HQ (!!!!) giving feedback on the then unreleased S-X, and was asked why I didn't use Sync. Afterwards I realised thet my answer was a bit weak (with Itch you had bom to 2 decimal places anyway, you just ended up matching the tempo readouts half the time anyway), so I actually tried it. Talk about freeing up your mind to get creative! Those that knock it, have never tried it. Try entertaining your crowd instead of massaging your ego! It's like they feel they have to defend it because they spent so long mastering it...
POTWND 8:39 AM - 12 September, 2013
Fortunately DDJ-SX is still the best! :)
Dj Pepe 8:54 AM - 12 September, 2013
Very Interesting, BUT..
Dear designers, when creating a new controller thinking about the more compact size, try to remember what are the maximum sizes for the transport of carry-on baggage on an airplane ;)
ManuelH 8:58 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Very Interesting, BUT..
Dear designers, when creating a new controller thinking about the more compact size, try to remember what are the maximum sizes for the transport of carry-on baggage on an airplane ;)

Hi Pepe,

if you need a more compact Controller than the new DDJ-SR, just buy a WEGO or ERGO.
You can also extend them with a DDJ-SP1. But to be honest - how often do you fly to a gig ;)

cheers,
Manuel
Jam-Master Jake 9:06 AM - 12 September, 2013
So if the new Pad Plus features are a firmware feature, does this mean we DDJ-SX users can look forward to a firmware update in the near future? I'd like to play with these new features!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:14 AM - 12 September, 2013
That's a good question. I'd hit up Pioneer about that Jake. They'd have a better idea of whether that's possible.

Sam.
MICAIAH 9:15 AM - 12 September, 2013
Jeez! I officially can't keep up with you guys now!!!
djflecha 9:20 AM - 12 September, 2013
Serato Dj will have free activation with this controller?
nikka80 9:26 AM - 12 September, 2013
4,5 kg and 55x32 cm?!?! - No, thx!)
Serato, Support
Mak T 9:29 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Serato Dj will have free activation with this controller?

Yup it's plug & play :)
Serato, Support
Mak T 9:30 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

its not for everyone, but it is nice and compact man :)
Dj Pepe 9:32 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Very Interesting, BUT..

Hi Pepe,

if you need a more compact Controller than the new DDJ-SR, just buy a WEGO or ERGO.
You can also extend them with a DDJ-SP1. But to be honest - how often do you fly to a gig ;)

cheers,
Manuel

Dear Manuel,
actually right now I do not travel a lot by airplane, but I have traveled quite often and for this reason I'm a happy owner of a beautiful Novation Twitch :)
I flew many times, and especially when using low cost airlines (and the organizers use these companies of course) the problem of carry-on luggage is the most important thing.
553.6 mm x 319.1 mm x 65.3 mm x 4.5 kg? Thanks, I still happy with my Twitch.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think that Wego and Ergo are not professional controllers, I'm sorry.
Best Regards
Pepe
gullum 9:57 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Thinking the same -11x3 cm - 1.3 kg it's not going to be that much more portable. Loosing standalone mixer and 3 inputs + XLR output and it only being USB powered, computer crashes and you won't be able to use the AUX as backup while you reboot the computer. But if I did not have the DDJ SX I might have considered this.
VJ Justin Allen 10:00 AM - 12 September, 2013
I have to say I was also worried having purchased the DDJ-SX the first week...and while this is good for those not wanting to spend the extra $300 or so for the DDJ-SX...it's not a complete replacement for it.
djianl 10:05 AM - 12 September, 2013
Does the microphone input work on this or is it still crap?
TeeCeeDF 10:08 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very Interesting, BUT..

Hi Pepe,

cheers,
Manuel

Dear Manuel,
actually right now I do not travel a lot by airplane, but I have traveled quite often and for this reason I'm a happy owner of a beautiful Novation Twitch :)
I flew many times, and especially when using low cost airlines (and the organizers use these companies of course) the problem of carry-on luggage is the most important thing.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think that Wego and Ergo are not professional controllers, I'm sorry.
Best Regards
Pepe

Hey Pepe,

I was thinking the same thing, but I see musical instruments on planes all the time that do not match the carry on requirements. I think there's a way around it. No that I'm ready to fly with my DDJ-SX just yet...
blackavenger 10:58 AM - 12 September, 2013

Now the SP1 costing $400, really makes no sense!!!
Nacho Ruiz 11:05 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Very Interesting, BUT..

+1
DJ-Rodrigo 11:22 AM - 12 September, 2013
very stunning and sexy, but i still love my VCI-400 ^_^
Kizasoze 12:08 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Pepe,

cheers,
Manuel

Dear Manuel,
Best Regards
Pepe

Hey Pepe,

I was thinking the same thing, but I see musical instruments on planes all the time that do not match the carry on requirements. I think there's a way around it. No that I'm ready to fly with my DDJ-SX just yet...

I actually flew with my DDJ-SX as carry on luggage. I had it in this pioneer soft case bag and it has straps that allow you to wear it like a back pack. Very cool. Once I told the attendant it was a musical instrument, they didn't bother me.
TeeCeeDF 12:58 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

I actually flew with my DDJ-SX as carry on luggage. I had it in this pioneer soft case bag and it has straps that allow you to wear it like a back pack. Very cool. Once I told the attendant it was a musical instrument, they didn't bother me.

That's good to know. I have a similar case (or the same one).
Dj FuNk ReVoLUtiOn 1:04 PM - 12 September, 2013
Guys you are not focusing on what is important. I guess Martin C knows what I'm talking about since he has in his avatar a picture of two ovelisc making a piramid shape with a sun in the center. it reminds me the Masonic Illuminati logo. A triangle with the eye in the center. Guys pay attention please Geo Genetics and weather modification. The earth ( GAIA ) is changing its vibrational level. Forget about the upgrade in those interfaces or controlers, make an upgrade in your minds.
Thanks.
Kizasoze 1:05 PM - 12 September, 2013
That's good to know. I have a similar case (or the same one).

Yeah. I was actually nervous someone would try and make me check it in to the hold. Which I wasn't going to agree to. It also fits perfect in the overhead bins. Might have to move peoples stuff around of course, but it lies quite flat. Plus that case is nicely padded.
Kizasoze 1:07 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Guys you are not focusing on what is important. I guess Martin C knows what I'm talking about since he has in his avatar a picture of two ovelisc making a piramid shape with a sun in the center. it reminds me the Masonic Illuminati logo. A triangle with the eye in the center. Guys pay attention please Geo Genetics and weather modification. The earth ( GAIA ) is changing its vibrational level. Forget about the upgrade in those interfaces or controlers, make an upgrade in your minds.
Thanks.

Uhmm, DJ Funkwhatveryournameis.... This here is a forum for folks interested in Dj'ing period and all that comes with it. So our being here doesn't mean we don't have upgraded minds. This is just NOT the forum for whatever it is you're spouting. Why don't you UPGRADE your mind to that?? p.s. Pyramid is spelled with a Y not an I.
Dj FuNk ReVoLUtiOn 1:18 PM - 12 September, 2013
ok.....Pyramid
Dj FuNk ReVoLUtiOn 1:25 PM - 12 September, 2013
By the way Im happy with my SL1 first and only.
Nacho Ruiz 1:30 PM - 12 September, 2013
mmm... it seems it brings the same soundcard than DDj-ERGO and DDJ-S1... and not the much better DDJ-SX soundcard...

DDJ-ERGO, DDJ-S1, DDJ-SR Specifications:
Total harmonic distortion: 0.006% or less
S/N ratio: 101 dB

DDJ-SX Specifications:
Total harmonic distortion: 0.003% or less
S/N ratio: 105dB
Sanchero 2:06 PM - 12 September, 2013
Kinda disappointed. Looks the part but closer look at it leads me to think its just a cheaper version. Also the line fader for the sp6 is gone. XLR out for mains and 1/4 for booth would have been better. Should have been a stand alone 2 ch mixer with line and phono inputs. And when is the version with dual USB coming out? I think I might have bought the big brother if it had dual USB. I guess I'll wait for the next release.
musiclee 2:09 PM - 12 September, 2013
too bad you can't rackmount this as it's 21.8"
damn almost,,,
DJ CAPRO 2:12 PM - 12 September, 2013
USB powered?

I thought we covered this SMH
Dj Nyce 2:29 PM - 12 September, 2013
and just like that down goes vestax
DJ CAPRO 2:36 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

except there's no AC power on this unit which will mean weak output

imagine Pioneer using USB power for their mixers or CDJs for the sake of convenience
Dj SoLi2 2:41 PM - 12 September, 2013
Me gusta el tamaƱo
musiclee 2:50 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Me gusta el tamaƱo

eso es lo que ella dijo
monkey 2:54 PM - 12 September, 2013
Cheers SERATO for your answers earlier.

Seems it might JUST fit in cabin baggage - I fly a lot which is why I sold my DDJ-SX and ordered the Vestax. Now i'm torn - keep the vestax with its compact size and Needle Search, or get the new Pioneer with the dual deck mode and amazing style?
Vestax also put their pads at the top - preference to using the jog wheels which I like. Pads should be at the top!

BUT - Serato - 2 questions I can't find the answer to:

1) As this is USB powered and no stand alone mixer, will the overall OUTPUT volume be quieter? In clubs a decent output is vital and the DDJ-SX is quality.

2) How much will this thing be??

Thanks again in advance
(and I fly a lot :)
DJ-Rodrigo 3:14 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

imagine Pioneer using USB power for their mixers or CDJs for the sake of convenience

The vestax vci-400 doesn't have weak output sorry to say! Its one of the best vestax controller out!
DJ CAPRO 3:18 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

1) As this is USB powered and no stand alone mixer, will the overall OUTPUT volume be quieter? In clubs a decent output is vital and the DDJ-SX is quality.

^^ As Nacho Ruiz mentioned above they took a step down from the SX soundcard and put a consumer model sound card like the DJ ERGO. The SX is a pro sound card.

And it will also be quieter output due to USB power. Whenever I forget my AC adapter at home and need to use USB power for my Vestax I usually need to crank the gain a lot on the house mixer and there is a noticeable sacrifice in sound quality to me.Weather this is a problem or not is completely up to chance if you travel around. I also don't plug in my FX controller as this takes some of that USB power off the top and is not recommended unless you have a power adapter hooked up.
DJ CAPRO 3:20 PM - 12 September, 2013
]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The vestax vci-400 doesn't have weak output sorry to say! Its one of the best vestax controller out!

VCI-400 has power hence sufficient output, this DDJ-SR does not which is what I meant ;-)
Philip Ray 3:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

True!
DJ Jams 3:28 PM - 12 September, 2013
Hey, I'm all for less cables and the USB power sounds interesting, but..... What happens if your computer dies? I assume that's where you're getting your USB power, right? What if in order to keep the music going you need to use PLAN B (like an iPad, iPod, etc) on your Aux port to either finish your performance or tie you over until until you can get a backup computer up and running? Can you plug the USB cable into a USB charger device to get power for the deck? Nothing worse than dead silence from a DJ during a performance while your trying to recover from a computer crash or failure...
DJ CAPRO 3:28 PM - 12 September, 2013
^^ unless you use it with your Rane
DJ CAPRO 3:29 PM - 12 September, 2013
(^^ reply to Philip Ray above about SP1)
dredd i knight 3:34 PM - 12 September, 2013
Damn I was just getting my head round buying Monkeys DDJ SX and now this.... Mmm...
TeeCeeDF 3:36 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Hey, I'm all for less cables and the USB power sounds interesting, but..... What happens if your computer dies? I assume that's where you're getting your USB power, right? What if in order to keep the music going you need to use PLAN B (like an iPad, iPod, etc) on your Aux port to either finish your performance or tie you over until until you can get a backup computer up and running? Can you plug the USB cable into a USB charger device to get power for the deck? Nothing worse than dead silence from a DJ during a performance while your trying to recover from a computer crash or failure...

In that case, bypass the DDJ...
dredd i knight 3:37 PM - 12 September, 2013
So Srato, any news on whether the DDJ SX will be able to acquire the new Pad Plus modes?
Sanchero 3:56 PM - 12 September, 2013
I wonder when rane will come out with an official controller?
DJ Jams 4:00 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, am I missing something? I thought the DDJ used the XLR connections to connect to the power speakers. Are you saying that you want me to plug my XLR cables from my speakers into my iPod? Sorry, last time I looked at my iPod I didn't see any XLR connectors. Do you have any suggestions when you say 'bypass' the DDJ? Thanks! :-)
Dj Nyce 4:07 PM - 12 September, 2013
not sure why pio decided to omit xlr and ac power. vestax was able to squeeze those things into their super portable controllers (VCI-380, VCI-400).
DJ-Rodrigo 4:18 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

VCI-400 has power hence sufficient output, this DDJ-SR does not which is what I meant ;-)

Oh I understand now!
TeeCeeDF 4:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, am I missing something? I thought the DDJ used the XLR connections to connect to the power speakers. Are you saying that you want me to plug my XLR cables from my speakers into my iPod? Sorry, last time I looked at my iPod I didn't see any XLR connectors. Do you have any suggestions when you say 'bypass' the DDJ? Thanks! :-)

So how do you get the iWhatever into your DDJ-Whatever? Adapter cables. 3.5mm stereo split to whatever, converted to XLR or Phono. Two small adapters in your kit.
ADR7AN 4:43 PM - 12 September, 2013
So whats is it going to be running for?
DJCheLu 4:45 PM - 12 September, 2013
I think it looks great, i ride a motorcycle or bicycle to my gigs sometimes for parking reasons with the DDJ SX in a backpack and it weighs a TON (with laptop and all other gear i need to spin)....... a smaller option would be pretty sweet. The vci400 was too small and felt cramped, hopefully this is a good in between option.

As it is now the SX has some pretty sensitive faders with slight movements being big increases, with this new tiny pitch strategy will this be surgical movements when beat matching or will they have maybe a -4+4 setting?

Never got used to sync so i stil beat match it.
DJ Jams 5:02 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So how do you get the iWhatever into your DDJ-Whatever? Adapter cables. 3.5mm stereo split to whatever, converted to XLR or Phono. Two small adapters in your kit.

Well, I believe with the DDJ-SX you can connect an iPod via an adapter cable (say stereo mini to split RCA's - L/R) to either the RCA CD input or the RCA PHONO/LINE input. With the supplied AC power adapter the DDJ-SX you can play your iPod through the DDJ-SX and not have to rely on power to the USB connection.

Again, I'm just thinking of this as a 'backup' situation when the main computer fails. I'm just wondering if the DDJ-SR will operate without a computer supplied USB power source where one could substitute a USB power source (like a USB charger) to power the DDJ-SR if/when a computer is not available. I'd like to know my backup options before going to a performance. 'Tis better to be prepared... Thanks!
Dj Pepe 5:51 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Pepe,

cheers,
Manuel

Dear Manuel,
Best Regards
Pepe

Hey Pepe,

Hi Kizasoze,
I live in Italy and I move often in Europe. The maximum size for hand luggage are 55x40x20 cm. Try to fly with Ryanair with your "instrument" and tell me what happens to you :D Anyway I think that a controller designed to be "compact" must also take into account these things, it is my personal thought.
Look at the size of the new Traktor Kontrol S4, I think they were more clever.
And as I am a lover of Serato, I'm still waiting settle the sound quality of the pitch with Key Lock enabled. If you've never done a comparison, you will realize that the sound quality compared to Serato with Traktor or Crossdj is terrible, and I do not understand WHY Serato still has not solved this problem.
Bye.
todordj1 5:59 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

My thoughts:

USB powered - awesome.

DDJ-SX is the best.All in one.I'm DJ1 and I love my DDJ-SX.Thank you.
dj easy jay 6:24 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:

I totally agree why bother buying the sp1 for 400 I have the vci 380 witch I'm not that crazy about & I have 2 numark v7 I was waiting for the serato dj to be released this fall so I can by the sp1 But who needs all that extra stuff now. I mean no power supply? That's a plus not to have to worry bout forgetting a power supply or packing it. I think ill wait to see the reviews first if there's any bugs or issues before I really get one though.
Joee 7:14 PM - 12 September, 2013
ok, so it looks like a ddj sx But does it sound like a ddj sx?

please don't tell me this is just a dressed up version of the ergo or the wego?
haze324 7:36 PM - 12 September, 2013
If it's the same soundcard as the older DDJ-S1 it sounds just fine. I've used that in a club/lounge setting and it bumped just fine. At the time I would've put the NS7's soundcard slightly better --- but very comparable to the NS6.

If we consider the target group for this product, I highly doubt it's intended for use at a major club, those places already have a pro set up. For the small lounge, mobile party, etc. the DDJ-S1 (assuming it's the same card) is plenty.

Having said that for the DDJ-S1 to use the XLR outs it needed to be plugged in. WIth USB only the RCA outs worked.

If priced well this "looks" great and will spank some of that new S4 MK2 thing that just dropped today as well.

Now I wonder if I should sell my NS6 for this??
monkey 8:11 PM - 12 September, 2013
Cheers DJ CAPRO for your response.

Bad news they took a step down in soundcard quality - what's the point? Plus USB does = less volume & quality - not great news.

Adding power could have been so easy no?

Anyway - the Vestax 380 does have power so maybe i'm staying with that decision for now in order to save that sound quality. I will miss the dual deck mode on the pioneer though. Easy to replicate the 4 deck stuff me and DREDD I KNIGHT used to do on TTs!

Cheers for all the support and answers so far..
Monkey
Dj-Ali 9:33 PM - 12 September, 2013
Does the mic have a bass & trebble eq? How will you be able to adjust the mic sound?
TeeCeeDF 10:19 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I believe with the DDJ-SX you can connect an iPod via an adapter cable (say stereo mini to split RCA's - L/R) to either the RCA CD input or the RCA PHONO/LINE input. With the supplied AC power adapter the DDJ-SX you can play your iPod through the DDJ-SX and not have to rely on power to the USB connection.

Again, I'm just thinking of this as a 'backup' situation when the main computer fails. I'm just wondering if the DDJ-SR will operate without a computer supplied USB power source where one could substitute a USB power source (like a USB charger) to power the DDJ-SR if/when a computer is not available. I'd like to know my backup options before going to a performance. 'Tis better to be prepared... Thanks!

You misunderstood my questions to be questions. They were thinking points for you.

You just need a few adapters to go from iDon'tGiveASh*t to XLR. Done.
dj easy jay 10:59 PM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You misunderstood my questions to be questions. They were thinking points for you.

You just need a few adapters to go from iDon'tGiveASh*t to XLR. Done.

I thinking the more & more people bring up no power supply & sound card quality ill wait & see the reviews.. because if your mac or pc spec are not up to par to run these processor vampire ounce you start playing with those pads loops rolls & cues your just asking for trouble theres no back up if it crashes & the last thing we djs want is dead air @ an event.. & you all know serato the only demos well be seeing is djs palying with loops & drums..
Ragman 12:46 AM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
My mistake - AGIProDJ has it listed at $599 - www.agiprodj.com

Good price point...
djskee.sf 1:50 AM - 13 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Pepe,

cheers,
Manuel

Dear Manuel,
Best Regards
Pepe

Hey Pepe,

I just recently flew from Sydney to Japan with my mixer in a pelican carry on case, the counter (Air Asia) said i couldnt carry it on because it was too heavy. My options? "Cancel your flight, Pay $40 per Kilo, or Throw it away." I ended up paying $520!! This is a huge concern for gear too big or too heavy for me too. In the end, nobody actually checked the weight or was concerned about how many carry ons I had #hustled.
vjbadboy 8:18 PM - 13 September, 2013
wow this is great! i also have vci 380 & the only thing i love on vci380 is the XLR & the size that fit on any of my backpack & the one i love on the ddj-sr is the usb powered because im a video dj with many wires to pack & always on the go so usb powered lessen my packing time & i dont need stand alone mixer because im always on the run.

hope pioneer can make same as ddj-sr but a smaller that can fit on a back pack, it would be perfect for the dj's on the go like me all over the world. just a suggestion for future controllers thanks!
DJSack 3:19 PM - 15 September, 2013
New video of the SR on youtube!
Watchwww.youtube.com
DANGERUST 9:52 AM - 16 September, 2013
I'm not happy at all, I have just switched mixers from Numark Mix Track Pro to a Pioneer DDJ-SX. If I had know about the pioneer DJ-SR, I would have brought that instead. Saving a fair be of money to go towards some more DJ equipment or even upgrading my laptop to run Serato DJ program better!
Dave
P.S Serato you still have many issues with your software, hopefully there is a update to resolve these issue's very soon! :(
Like in your next update
VJ Justin Allen 11:50 AM - 16 September, 2013
Hopefully you will find that the DDJ-SX will be a better purchase for you in the long run. It really has a few more "club-like" features, like XLR's for instance. This is a controller you can grow with, instead of having to replace just down the road.
Dj Nyce 3:59 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
I'm not happy at all, I have just switched mixers from Numark Mix Track Pro to a Pioneer DDJ-SX. If I had know about the pioneer DJ-SR, I would have brought that instead. Saving a fair be of money to go towards some more DJ equipment or even upgrading my laptop to run Serato DJ program better!
Dave
P.S Serato you still have many issues with your software, hopefully there is a update to resolve these issue's very soon! :(
Like in your next update

i was impressed with the sr at first, but after seeing the details from bpm, the sr has some huge showstoppers (no standalone mixer, booth level in the rear, usb power only, smaller platter, no platter lights/led, no xlr). these are only outweighed by the portability.

if super portability isn't #1 in your list, then the sx is definitely the better choice imo.

also no dual deck control on the SR. it's either 1 or 4, 2 or 3.
Joee 4:33 PM - 16 September, 2013
^ you make a piont! i just preordered @ $500 i'll give it a try, coming from the vci 380 i think i'll like it, if i can get use to the platter

if not i know a few people that will jump at one for $500
DaVibecat 12:01 AM - 17 September, 2013
I hoped so much, that when at Oktober dvs in Serato dj is integrated, that there will be a new high quality pioneer Controller, similar in optic to the sx, but with Timecode Control opportunity!
I dont think this is possible with this Controller?!

I want to have the choice from gig to gig, if i play only with Controller or with 2 Controller Decks and 2 dvs turntable Decks.

Well, why don't you put a sl4 soundcard in a ddj sx similar 4 Channel Controller (but it could be a little bit smaller like the ddj sr, because otherwise it's to big to Play with 2 additional dvs turntables) ,
so that we can play with 2 Laptops and 4 channels, but have the choice from gig to gig, if only want to Play with the controller or to "perform a bit more" and to play with 2 additional dvs turntables.

With Traktor and S4 its also possible, but i don't want to change to traktor, so promise me, such a pioneer controller will be launched :-)

PLEASE! :-)

Ps: and don't forget then the needle drop function ;)
blackavenger 12:07 AM - 17 September, 2013
The ability to play CV w' a controller is not going to happen until' the next generation of SDJ controllers. That's my guess anyway.
DaVibecat 12:17 AM - 17 September, 2013
Well, when does the next Generation of sdj Controller then will be launched?

I consider to wait (but how long???) or changing to Traktor...:/
blackavenger 1:03 AM - 17 September, 2013
I would imagine by NAMM 2015 or 16.

Hopefully Serato at least let us use our SL Soundcards to engage this functionality. That would be acceptable in the interem.
DaVibecat 9:17 PM - 17 September, 2013
Well, it would be a temporaly solution.
But also a bigger strain on the macbook.
DJ RevolutionoBarulho 5:25 PM - 18 September, 2013
very interresante this new model but I am of the opinion that not only should have RCA inputs in Angola DJs ha lot of variety
Maxstell 6:19 PM - 18 September, 2013
Found this on the Pioneer HP:

1 Limitations apply to some functions. Note that it may not be possible to charge this device with bus power depending on the power supply rating of the laptopā€™s USB port. In such cases, please connect the device with the enclosed AC adapter.
DJ bigrod 6:33 PM - 18 September, 2013
nice to no about the opp. but i see no XLR's for in put or for the mic. I'm glad i got the DDJ-SX.
MartĆ­n Miguel 5:09 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:

1 Limitations apply to some functions. Note that it may not be possible to charge this device with bus power depending on the power supply rating of the laptopā€™s USB port. In such cases, please connect the device with the enclosed AC adapter.

I also saw this: I believe the USB-power feature is optional. I'm very curious to see what happens with this thing, as I though the Twitch was a cool interface that was totally hampered by it's lack of output.
Maxstell 7:45 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I also saw this: I believe the USB-power feature is optional. I'm very curious to see what happens with this thing, as I though the Twitch was a cool interface that was totally hampered by it's lack of output.

... but do you see the Pictures of it? There are no input for a Power-Adapter!?
I dont found this Text on other Shops, the info are only on the Pioneer Homepage.

With USB-Powered, oh god, i see the bad Output is coming....
Tide808 2:48 AM - 1 October, 2013
Im worried as well about the output. Can anyone officially answer if there is an ac adapter?
bejay blaze 11:29 PM - 1 October, 2013
please how can i adjust the pitch range with out adjusting the bpm on the pioneer ddj sx
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ UZzy 11:53 PM - 1 October, 2013
@Serato, can you please confirm me if the Jogwheel size and quality on DDJ-SR is identical as on DDJ-SX ?? the feel and everything about the jog wheel.

I would also want to know if the Soundcard on DDJ SX is better than DDJ SR ??? or DDJ SR have better sound card?

Does FX can now apply on DDJ SR MIC and can also record voice sample?

Just confirm me the accurate answer about my 3 main importance option.
Joee 12:02 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
@Serato, can you please confirm me if the Jogwheel size and quality on DDJ-SR is identical as on DDJ-SX ?? the feel and everything about the jog wheel.

why would serato confirm this? serato does not make the ddj sr they only make the software, those are questions for pioneer!
DJ UZzy 12:04 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

why would serato confirm this? serato does not make the ddj sr they only make the software, those are questions for pioneer!

Joee, The message was not for you, so please leave it.. i have asked serato a question only.. and i did not impose on serato to reply it.. if serato can answer its fine otherwise i will look somewhere else.

Thanks
Joee 12:08 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Joee, The message was not for you, so please leave it.. i have asked serato a question only.. and i did not impose on serato to reply it.. if serato can answer its fine otherwise i will look somewhere else.

Thanks

let me save you some time! look somewhere else!!!!
dj_spark 12:18 AM - 2 October, 2013
Just sold my NS6 for the DDJ SR and finally didn't take the pre order.

I'm not that worried about the output coming from an NS6 that have a huge one.
VCI 380 : 80dB / NS6 : 99dB / DDJ SR : 101dB
(unfortunately not mesured at the same distorsion rate).
If it is rated like the DDJ S1 it not that bad, but it could have been great.

About the usb power, I think there is still a way to hack the usb cord with an AC adapter without destroying the computer.

The real concern for me is the lack of feedback on the jogs (no lights really ?). How are you supposed to scratch with it ? looking at the screen like on the older vci300 ? Welcome to 2014...
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:42 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:

No, the jogwheels are not identical, but they are similar.

Quote:
About the usb power, I think there is still a way to hack the usb cord with an AC adapter without destroying the computer.

I wouldn't attempt trying to hack a USB cord with AC adaptor. This could cause problems.

Quote:
The real concern for me is the lack of feedback on the jogs (no lights really ?). How are you supposed to scratch with it ? looking at the screen like on the older vci300 ? Welcome to 2014...

The DDJ-SR is not trying to be the DDJ-SX, it is a smaller, less featured version of the DDJ-SX. If you need the illuminated jogwheels the a DDJ-SX is right for you.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:43 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Im worried as well about the output. Can anyone officially answer if there is an ac adapter?

Sorry but there is no option for an AC adaptor with the DDJ-SR. You could run the USB from a powered hub if you are having USB power concerns.

Cheers
DJ UZzy 12:47 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

No, the jogwheels are not identical, but they are similar.

Quote:

I wouldn't attempt trying to hack a USB cord with AC adaptor. This could cause problems.

Quote:

The DDJ-SR is not trying to be the DDJ-SX, it is a smaller, less featured version of the DDJ-SX. If you need the illuminated jogwheels the a DDJ-SX is right for you.

Cheers

@Serato (Scott S) Thanks you so much for your response, Since i prefer something better in quality and other.. as per you replied, it meant that DDJ SX job is not identical but its still its better than DDJ SR's Jog wheel right?

Quote:
I would also want to know if the Soundcard on DDJ SX is better than DDJ SR ??? or DDJ SR have better sound card?

Thanks
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:49 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
@Serato (Scott S) Thanks you so much for your response, Since i prefer something better in quality and other.. as per you replied, it meant that DDJ SX job is not identical but its still its better than DDJ SR's Jog wheel right?

Personally I prefer the DDJ-SX jog wheel. It is a little larger than the DDJ-SR and it has illuminated LED's in the centre. The DDJ-SR does not have an illuminated jog wheel and is slightly smaller.

Cheers
DJ UZzy 12:51 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:

Thanks
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:57 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:

They both have the same soundcard, they are both great quality. However the DDJ-SX has an internal mixer built-in as well for connecting external inputs.

Quote:

Not at this stage, we would like to address this issue in the near future however.
DJ UZzy 1:05 AM - 2 October, 2013
@Serato Scott S, Thanks you so much for your warm help.. Have a good day . Looking forward to hear from serato about finding a solution for people who want to add FX on MIC and can be recorded the voice with fx into a live remix... for DDJ - SX not SR :P

Cant wait..

Bybye
Joee 1:07 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
@Serato Scott S, Thanks you so much for your warm help.. Have a good day . Looking forward to hear from serato about finding a solution for people who want to add FX on MIC and can be recorded the voice with fx into a live remix... for DDJ - SX not SR :P

Cant wait..

Bybye

my bad look like they were able to answer, i would have thought it was question for pioneer but i was wrong
bejay blaze 1:08 AM - 2 October, 2013
how can i adjust the pitch range with out adjusting the bpm on the pioneer ddj sx
bejay blaze 1:09 AM - 2 October, 2013
@Serato Scott S, please how can i adjust the pitch range with out adjusting the bpm on the pioneer ddj sx
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:10 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
my bad look like they were able to answer, i would have thought it was question for pioneer but i was wrong

Not wrong at all! We only develop the software here, so we have limited knowledge about the construction, manufacturing and development of the units. For technical questions its always best to contact the people who make the hardware, i.e. Pioneer :)

Quote:
how can i adjust the pitch range with out adjusting the bpm on the pioneer ddj sx

At this stage you can not adjust the Pitch without adjusting the BPM, but you can adjust the BPM without adjusting Pitch. If you wish to adjust the Pitch of a song, you will need to modify the track in a third-party application.

Cheers
DJ UZzy 1:11 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Cant wait..

Bybye

@Joee You see my dear.. hehe.. next time dont dive in anything thats none of your concern with negative post.. unless you try to help.. Anways never mind.. have a good day
Uzzy
bejay blaze 1:11 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

They both have the same soundcard, they are both great quality. However the DDJ-SX has an internal mixer built-in as well for connecting external inputs.

Quote:

Not at this stage, we would like to address this issue in the near future however.

@Serato Scott S, how can i adjust the pitch range with out adjusting the bpm on the pioneer ddj sx
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:12 AM - 2 October, 2013
Please look above for the answer bejay blaze. I even answered your private message with the same question.

Cheers
Joee 1:17 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cant wait..

Bybye

@Joee You see my dear.. hehe.. next time dont dive in anything thats none of your concern with negative post.. unless you try to help.. Anways never mind.. have a good day
Uzzy

i'd like to think it is my concern as i already preordered the ddj sr, i did my research and found out that the jog is smaller & has no led lights

and i quote from scott s
Quote:
Quote:

Not wrong at all! We only develop the software here, so we have limited knowledge about the construction, manufacturing and development of the unit. For technical questions its always best to contact the people who make the hardware, i.e. Pioneer :)

^^ HA i was right ....lol i'm just messing wiith you, but i will let you know about the jogs as soon a si get it in mid october
bejay blaze 1:19 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Please look above for the answer bejay blaze. I even answered your private message with the same question.

Cheers

please i dont seem to see any post answering my question , please rephrase
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:20 AM - 2 October, 2013
@bejay blaze,

At this stage you can not adjust the Pitch without adjusting the BPM, but you can adjust the BPM without adjusting Pitch. If you wish to adjust the Pitch of a song, you will need to modify the track in a third-party application.

Cheers
bejay blaze 1:23 AM - 2 October, 2013
this video stae it can be done please watch

Watchwww.youtube.com
bejay blaze 1:24 AM - 2 October, 2013
and again what third party software can adjust Pitch of a song
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:30 AM - 2 October, 2013
Where exactly does it show adjusting the pitch without adjusting the BPM/Tempo? You can not pitch up or pitch down songs without adjusting the BPM/Tempo. I think you might be misinformed.

Quote:

Ableton, Logic Pro, Audacity or any audio editing software will allow you to do this.
bejay blaze 1:33 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Where exactly does it show adjusting the pitch without adjusting the BPM/Tempo? You can not pitch up or pitch down songs without adjusting the BPM/Tempo. I think you might be misinformed.

Quote:

Ableton, Logic Pro, Audacity or any audio editing software will allow you to do this.

please did you watch the video?
Dj Nyce 1:34 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

i'm impressed Scott. i would've clocked out.
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:36 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:

Yes I did watch the video, I also helped write the script for the video, so please show me where he adjusts the Pitch of a song, WITHOUT adjusting the tempo/bpm.

Cheers
bejay blaze 1:38 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I did watch the video, I also helped write the script for the video, so please show me where he adjusts the Pitch of a song, WITHOUT adjusting the tempo/bpm.

Cheers

from 7:00 to 7 :22
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:44 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:

In the video, Matt enables Sync on both decks. Adjusting the tempo slider on either deck will increase or decrease the tempo for BOTH decks to keep it in Sync. Not the pitch, the tempo. If you listen you can hear the track going slightly faster as he moves the pitch fader.

I think what you are thinking of is the "Key Lock" button (which he has enabled). This allows you to move the BPM and tempo without adjusting the pitch. Not the other way around. You might have these two confused.

He has the Key Lock enabled which is why he can adjust the tempo of a track without making it sound higher or lower in pitch.

Cheers
bejay blaze 1:53 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

In the video, Matt enables Sync on both decks. Adjusting the tempo slider on either deck will increase or decrease the tempo for BOTH decks. Not the pitch, the tempo. If you listen you can hear the track going slightly faster as he moves the pitch fader.

I think what you are thinking of is the "Key Lock" button (which he has enabled). This allows you to move the BPM and tempo without adjusting the pitch. Not the other way around.

Cheers

but i this worked out 2 days ago before i updated my firmware
dj_spark 6:25 PM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Personally I prefer the DDJ-SX jog wheel. It is a little larger than the DDJ-SR and it has illuminated LED's in the centre. The DDJ-SR does not have an illuminated jog wheel and is slightly smaller.

Thanks for the confirmation, if the soundcard is the same as the DDJ SX one, people should be less worry about the sound quality. But this still doesn't say anything about output level...

Any measure for the top diameter and the outside ring bottom please ? (so I could have an exact idea). Thx.
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:24 PM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
but i this worked out 2 days ago before i updated my firmware

Sorry but this pitch shift feature has never been available in Serato DJ software. If you are having technical issues please start a help request > serato.com

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation, if the soundcard is the same as the DDJ SX one, people should be less worry about the sound quality. But this still doesn't say anything about output level...
Any measure for the top diameter and the outside ring bottom please ? (so I could have an exact idea). Thx.

It would be best to contact Pioneer about these technical questions as they are the ones who designed and manufactured the unit so they will be able to give you much more detailed information and dimensions.

You can contact Pioneer here > pioneerdj.com

Regards
Garrison (DJ G) 2:04 PM - 3 October, 2013
Really excited for this new controller, I have currently been using a Pioneer DDJ-WeGo and I have been looking for a new controller with more features. This controller is exactly what I have been looking for! They need to hurry up and start selling!
Joee 7:35 PM - 10 October, 2013
@ 45 seconds there the ddj sr & ddj sx are right next to each other, there almost identical in size

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 10:58 PM - 10 October, 2013
Available Oct 17th! www.pssl.com
Dj Nyce 1:33 AM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
@ 45 seconds there the ddj sr & ddj sx are right next to each other, there almost identical in size

Watchwww.youtube.com

after seeing the size, i can't see why anybody would opt for the sr over the sx. pads plus is not enough of a selling point.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:31 AM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
after seeing the size, i can't see why anybody would opt for the sr over the sx. pads plus is not enough of a selling point.

- The DDJ-SR fits in my bag, the DDJ-SX does not.
- I can jam on the SR when I'm out fishing with my buddies because it's bus powered.
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 5:20 AM - 11 October, 2013
The DDJ-SR doesn't have illuminated platters like the SX that's a bit of a downfall in dark settings.
Ragman 5:43 AM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
The DDJ-SR doesn't have illuminated platters like the SX that's a bit of a downfall in dark settings.

I don't think it was made for a dark setting like a club. Seems like it's more for semi-pros and hobbyist DJs. Hence why many of the pro features from the SX where left off.
Joee 11:31 AM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

- The DDJ-SR fits in my bag, the DDJ-SX does not.
- I can jam on the SR when I'm out fishing with my buddies because it's bus powered.
Watchwww.youtube.com

ok bus powered, and how are you going to power your speakers? bus powered is not that big a deal if you will already be using power

as far as size it looks 5 inches smaller, still a big controller
Joee 11:34 AM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

i can see the people that want a sx but don't have the money opt for the sr, i got one for $500 sx is $800 to $1,000
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:16 PM - 11 October, 2013
Quote:
ok bus powered, and how are you going to power your speakers? bus powered is not that big a deal if you will already be using power

This was mostly me being cheeky, but it is actually true. Aux in to the boat's stereo which runs off batteries :)

Quote:
as far as size it looks 5 inches smaller, still a big controller

5 inches makes a massive difference when it comes to bags and the overall volume difference is much greater than that.

Cheers
Tide808 1:13 PM - 13 October, 2013
What bag are you using for your SR?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:26 PM - 13 October, 2013
Quote:

Just a generic padded duffel. Kinda like this www.awsm.com, but maybe more padding.

It's not the best for safety in transit, but I just carry/pack it with a little care.
Ragman 11:36 PM - 14 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Just a generic padded duffel. Kinda like this www.awsm.com, but maybe more padding.

It's not the best for safety in transit, but I just carry/pack it with a little care.

Reminds me of my time in the military. ;-)
DJ NoNseNse 8:18 PM - 15 October, 2013
Since it's usb powered will that effect the sound quality or gain at all?
dj danny dredz 12:31 PM - 16 October, 2013
I sold my NS 7 to heavy, bout 2 sell my NS 6 don't need 4 channels. I'm counting the seconds 4 this thing. This will b great 4 smaller gigs when i don,t wanna bring my 1200s. Yes I will play it in clubs, music and videos. No complaining if you don't want one don't get one
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:02 PM - 16 October, 2013
Quote:
I sold my NS 7 to heavy, bout 2 sell my NS 6 don't need 4 channels. I'm counting the seconds 4 this thing. This will b great 4 smaller gigs when i don,t wanna bring my 1200s. Yes I will play it in clubs, music and videos. No complaining if you don't want one don't get one

The DDJ-SR is dope, great USB powered controller with some great features! Your back will definitely thank you if you are used to lugging the NS7 around!
dj danny dredz 9:45 PM - 16 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The DDJ-SR is dope, great USB powered controller with some great features! Your back will definitely thank you if you are used to lugging the NS7 around![/Can U say "Beast Of Burden" I'm checking my emails just waiting 4 it 2 drop i'm told any day now. I'll Let u guys Know
DJ NoNseNse 1:58 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The DDJ-SR is dope, great USB powered controller with some great features! Your back will definitely thank you if you are used to lugging the NS7 around!

Will there any performance drawbacks because it's usb powered?
Serato, Support
Scott S 2:13 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
Will there any performance drawbacks because it's usb powered?

It is not a hardware mixer like the DDJ-SX, so it doesn't need to be AC powered. The USB bus is powerful enough to run a MIDI controller like the DDJ-SR

The DDJ-SX is a standalone analogue mixer, which is why it needs the extra power.
dj danny dredz 2:37 AM - 17 October, 2013
www.musikhaus-korn.de If you look between the on and of switch u will see a hole 4 an AC power cable
dj danny dredz 2:40 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
www.musikhaus-korn.de If you look between the on and off switch and the USB plug hole u will see a hole 4 an AC power adapter
dj danny dredz 2:45 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
www.musikhaus-korn.de If you look between the on and off switch and the USB plug hole u will see a hole 4 an AC power adapter

www.reuters.com
dj danny dredz 2:48 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.reuters.com

This link tells on one of the bottom paragraphs about the adapter
dj danny dredz 2:54 AM - 17 October, 2013
www.pioneerelectronics.com Pioneers link stating same
dj danny dredz 2:56 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
www.pioneerelectronics.com Pioneers link stating same

www.planetdj.com Now Planet Dj Is Saying Nov 8th, I really do my homework B4 a puchase
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:01 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
www.musikhaus-korn.de If you look between the on and of switch u will see a hole 4 an AC power cable

That is a screw, not a hole. The DDJ-SR is bus powered only.
dj danny dredz 4:58 AM - 17 October, 2013
OH
dj danny dredz 4:59 AM - 17 October, 2013
Quote:
OH
Lol No Matter
DJ CAPRO 6:11 PM - 18 October, 2013
it sounds like there's an internal battery in the SR that charges

still doubt there will be enough juice to match the output of a typical mixer
dj danny dredz 6:34 PM - 18 October, 2013
Cool, it looks like it's being pushed back til Nov I just hope all the kinks R worked out.
pcube1 8:52 PM - 18 October, 2013
i picked one up at my local Guiar Center on 10/16 so far no issue with sound quality at all
dj danny dredz 3:10 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
i picked one up at my local Guiar Center on 10/16 so far no issue with sound quality at all

WTF I Can NOT find one anywhere, I called the Guitar Center where I live last Sunday and they said they didn't know when they would have it.
dj danny dredz 3:10 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

WTF I Can NOT find one anywhere, I called the Guitar Center where I live last Sunday and they said they didn't know when they would have it.

Can u send me a link 2 the store?
dj danny dredz 3:20 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never Mind I had an arrival request PSSL Have them n stock
dj danny dredz 3:20 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never Mind I had an arrival request PSSL Have them n stock

How's the latency?
Dj-WILL..... 7:26 PM - 21 October, 2013
Quote:

Yep Vci-400 Is Solid, I also been using it for 3 years and its Solid and Smooth!!
dj danny dredz 8:00 PM - 21 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yep Vci-400 Is Solid, I also been using it for 3 years and its Solid and Smooth!!

Cool I'm ordering mine 2morrow, I used 2 have a VCI 300 it was nice, played videos on it never a Problem
dj danny dredz 9:53 PM - 21 October, 2013
Quote:

Is their a adapter or some kind of power source?
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:23 AM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:

Did you even read this thread? The DDJ-SR is USB bus powered ONLY

Regards
dj danny dredz 3:12 AM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Did you even read this thread? The DDJ-SR is USB bus powered ONLY

Regards

youtu.be I Understand, but at 4:17 n the video it looks like a hole for a power source. I know you said it's a screw. Do u have one? (no Dis intended)
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:17 AM - 22 October, 2013
Thanks, but it already has been mentioned over 26 times in this thread. The DDJ-SR is USB bus powered ONLY
dj danny dredz 3:19 AM - 22 October, 2013
Lol Ok, mine will be here this week. Thanks
DJ NoNseNse 4:52 PM - 22 October, 2013
how does the sound quality compare to the ddjsx?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:52 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Lol Ok, mine will be here this week. Thanks

Great! Im sure you will love the DDJ-SR, it is an awesome controller!

Quote:
how does the sound quality compare to the ddjsx?

Both the DDJ-SX and DDJ-SR have a very high output quality :)
Mr. Goodkat 10:26 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:

ridiculous pricing!
John McCarten 4:43 AM - 23 October, 2013
Since having problems with my Twitch, I am looking for a replacement. Anyone have any thoughts if this is worth holding out for instead of getting the VCI-380? I assume it's more tightly integrated to DJ, as the 380 was designed for Itch. The size seems a bit larger than I would like, also anyone know how much this would be in NZ?
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:31 PM - 23 October, 2013
Hi John, best bet would be to call Leon at the Rockshop (www.rockshop.co.nz) to find out a price :)
John McCarten 3:38 AM - 24 October, 2013
Cheers Scott, I'll give them a call. From what I've heard, the'll be getting them in around December.
Joee 3:34 PM - 24 October, 2013
for everyone thats concerned about the output quality of the ddj sr, i can confirm that the output is better than that of the vestax vci 380, i just did a side buy side comparison
Joee 3:42 PM - 24 October, 2013
^ i should say slightly not buy much
DJ Plane 12:26 PM - 27 October, 2013
Quote:
Very Interesting, BUT..

Buen apunte Pepe, saludos desde EspaƱa.
DJ CAPRO 3:20 AM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:
for everyone thats concerned about the output quality of the ddj sr, i can confirm that the output is better than that of the vestax vci 380, i just did a side buy side comparison

please explain this side by side comparison. i'm hoping you know the difference between loudness and distortion

if you're right maybe the SR has a nice battery that coule also work in a DJ mixer but this has yet to be explained
Joee 1:32 PM - 30 October, 2013
side by side two rcf art 312-a one hooked up to a vci 380 & one hooked up to a pioneer ddj sr, same songs same gains tested at 12oclock master & gain

the ddj sr has good output, don't expect it to be as good as a rane but not bad
DJ CAPRO 2:56 PM - 30 October, 2013
wouldn't it be good to know how loud you can crank it without distorting? the difference using my VCI-300 with and without the power adapter is only noticeable when I am pressing the master volume up towards it's limit. and when you're up there the difference is huge

I just find it hard to believe that USB can power decent output unless it charges a battery that depletes itself at high volume
Joee 3:17 PM - 30 October, 2013
i'll give it a try and let you know
DJ CAPRO 3:20 PM - 30 October, 2013
much appreciated, i'm curious
DeeJayOnyx 3:20 AM - 4 November, 2013
I just got the Pioneer DDJ SR and looking for a road case. Odyssey glide sucks for this controller cause it's too damn bulky. I hope road ready will have their road case out soon! Just trying to make my cases smaller for DJ gig since I already have an amp rack and passive speakers. Sound quality is really good for the controller, good job Pioneer! Did an a/b comparison with Vestax VCI380 and the Pioneer DDJ SR produces a much warmer sound. I'm not worried about producing a high output with the USB powered sound card because you can always bump the signal using a decent mixing board or a sound processor that can alter the gain input or output. Any sound guy knows about this! Just my $.02
dj_spark 12:37 PM - 6 November, 2013
Can you give an idea of straigth comparison between the level of both controlers please ?

If the VCI380 is cranked at 12 o'clock onto your mixing board, at what position should you crank the channel where is connected the DDJ-SR to have nearly the same volume output ?

Thank you.
BRINKA 9:18 AM - 19 November, 2013
Went today to pickup an SR (at Guitar Center Totowa NJ US) and the rep there was sold out, wouldn't even sell me the display one they had. Whole NYC/ NJ area don't have any in stock. He did mention to me that there were several people returning the SR for different reasons, one red flag example he mentioned a DJ had a drop out crash during a gig. Scared me knowing this is USB powered only, now may lean towards SX. The Jog wheels are same size as SX. SR doesn't seem miniture at all, loved the feel and light weight, as I travel a lot this product would be perfect if it works. Hoping sound output is good for large venues? Anyone tried it at a club yet?
Tide808 9:32 AM - 19 November, 2013
Yup it worked perfectly for me. Sound output is similar to the SX. The only issue I've had with the SR is that if you stream your audio on a site, the audio gets staticy. Not sure what the issue is, but it definitely doesn't warrant a return, I love the size and feel of it!
TeeCeeDF 9:34 AM - 19 November, 2013
Being the devil's advocate here, I've had ~4 "pauses" with my DDJ-SX while playing a web radio show. All four happened on a Windows 8 PC running DJ v1.5.x, possibly due to over-using FX, having too many FX set to "on" for two channels. I have seen the CPU light come on, but I cannot be sure that this is what caused the pauses.

The pauses have all been brief and when reviewing the Serato recorded audio, there is no pause in the recording.

So, depending on the nature of these dropout crashes, it may not be the controller. Also, I would find out why the SR's are being returned rather than assuming the worst. Keep in mind that the DJ that complained may have had another reason to return the controller and made this up to be sure that it would be accepted.
djianl 7:53 PM - 27 November, 2013
Have they fixed the microphone input on this one?
DJ Tomcat 11:29 PM - 29 November, 2013
Has anyone had any problems using the four deck mode? I just got the SR and while testing it I wasn't getting sound from decks 3 and 4 unless I stopped the track on 1 or 2 and moved the faders down and then back up before i could hear tracks on 3 and 4. Any thoughts? Is this a design issue or am I missing something?
Tide808 4:33 AM - 30 November, 2013
Did you try fiddling with the volume on 3 & 4 via the program itself? That worked for me. Also anyone who has the sr, have you tried streaming on a website and mixing live? If so did you experience any static issues?
Tide808 4:34 AM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
Have they fixed the microphone input on this one?

When I used the mic on my sr, the mic worked fine. No issues of the mic cutting off the track playing.
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:12 PM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
Has anyone had any problems using the four deck mode? I just got the SR and while testing it I wasn't getting sound from decks 3 and 4 unless I stopped the track on 1 or 2 and moved the faders down and then back up before i could hear tracks on 3 and 4. Any thoughts? Is this a design issue or am I missing something?

This is a bit tricky, since the DDJ-SR only has two channel faders to control 4 decks, the faders have a MIDI "pickup/takeover mode" meaning that when you switch layers, the second layer is only going to receive the MIDI signal of what you are touching (fader, knob, etc) once you have moved it to the same value that the previous layer was on. This is to keep layers from being altered when you are not actually using that deck.

For example: You are playing a track on Deck 1 with the channel fader all the way up, then you switch to the second layer and add a track to Deck 2. Deck 2's channel fader is only going to be responsive once you move it to the value where "Deck 1" was playing.

Regards
DJLuis_Angel 5:57 PM - 6 December, 2013
So far no problems with my DDJ SR, it's a beast!! I just order a case for it from:

www.biluso.com

great job Serato and Pioneer!
Joee 1:09 AM - 7 December, 2013
odyssey makes one also-----> www.odysseygear.com
Poetic 6:43 AM - 14 December, 2013
I am about to purchase the DDJ SR and am trying to connect the SR to the SX with a friend. Is it possible to do so with 2 seperate laptops but still connect to the SX Mixer?
TeeCeeDF 7:21 PM - 15 December, 2013
Quote:
I am about to purchase the DDJ SR and am trying to connect the SR to the SX with a friend. Is it possible to do so with 2 seperate laptops but still connect to the SX Mixer?

If you're asking if you can take the output of an SR and put into a channel on the SX, I see no reason why not. It's just RCA to RCA. You would connect it like a CD player (NOT phono).
djskip19 10:32 PM - 17 December, 2013
Hey everyone, this might be a stupid question but here it is. I purchased a DDJ Sr, does anyone know which version of serato dj it comes with. Also if it comes with a sera to dj license can i upgrade it to the latest sera to dj 1.5.2?
Joee 10:37 PM - 17 December, 2013
1.5, yes & yes
djskip19 10:41 PM - 17 December, 2013
Thanks Brother...
dj vegas 7:10 AM - 20 December, 2013
serato,,, will the split que ever work with the sr? i paly all the time on my 62 in the living room with my fam watching tv and its the shit! please i would love to use this with out disturbing anyone:)
kimosabby 8:36 PM - 27 December, 2013
Got the sr and worth waiting for by a long chalk. However, got Pioneer cdj 800s as well and would like to play off 1 of these connecting into the aux/line in of the sr. Although i can get sound through it comes throug both channels and cant control updafer/eqs. Anyone got experience of sorting this problem out?
TeeCeeDF 2:09 PM - 28 December, 2013
Page 21 of the manual says that Aux In volume control is purely by the Aux volume knob on the back. It doesn't mention the Master, but I would expect that the Master control would also adjust the Aux volume.

pioneerdj.com

As far as both channels go, are you saying the channel faders affect the the aux volume or that you get sound on both the left and right channels?
kimosabby 2:16 PM - 28 December, 2013
When u plug in the cdj (or any other device as I have tried other sources) into the aux in you cannot eq or control the volume with the faders meaning you cant mix in a track using an aux source. Is that how its meant to be as you can do it on other non standalone Pioneer mixers with single aux/line in such as the T1. If you cant use the aux in to mix in other tracks from other sources such as a cdj whats the point of the aux in?
TeeCeeDF 2:29 PM - 28 December, 2013
Sounds like a good question for Pioneer!
dj_spark 5:30 PM - 31 December, 2013
Ipod and portable player.
Martin Poliak 1:35 PM - 3 January, 2014
I do not recommend! it freezes!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:34 AM - 4 January, 2014
Quote:
I do not recommend! it freezes!

There is an issue currently under investigation where using the Tempo Slider can cause a firmware freeze. Is this what you are referring to? If so, there should be a fix out very soon.

Cheers
Aaron
munny 12:40 PM - 24 January, 2014
can any one pls tell me how can i record my set in DDJ-SR
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:34 AM - 30 January, 2014
Hey Munny

Just hit the REC button at the top of the screen in Serato DJ. This will open the recording panel under the virtual decks, from where you can start your recording. Give it a name, hit 'Save' and it will be in a new 'Recorded' crate in your Crates menu. The actual file will live in your (My) Music > _Serato_ folder on your hard drive.

Aaron
mydjindamix 8:28 PM - 3 February, 2014
Please Help anyone? I am going compact now, I still love and use my Technics 1200 with Rane 57. I video mix using Mix Emergency. Does this controller work with Video mixing? Will it work with Mix Emergency.
Thanks..
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:42 PM - 3 February, 2014
Hey man

Yes, the DDJ-SR can be used to mix video. The one thing you'll need to be mindful of is that you can't re-map any of the controls. Mix Emergency will be compatible with Serato DJ as of version 1.6 (and therefore compatible with the DDJ-SR). Serato DJ 1.6 will be out as a final release this month.

Cheers
Aaron
MC Apollo 6:25 PM - 4 January, 2017
my career as a Dj-went down becouse i bought ddj-sr!! :( :( :( i wanted 4 channells and i believed the lise that DDj-SR can be used with 4 channells.. .. now i dont have enough money to buy a 4 channell controller and the money i spent on ddj-sr .. whcih is total bulshit on using 4 channells.. .. i wish i didn't.
I hope that "god" or some benevolent person punishes the ones responsable for spreading the lies that 4 decks are usabkle on 2 channel ddj-sr controller.. :( :)
i want my money back.. :(.. :( :( :( :(
Joee 6:34 PM - 4 January, 2017
???

are you saying that you can't use the ddj sr as a 4 channel controller? because a ashure you ,you can....ive done it many times
MC Apollo 6:37 PM - 4 January, 2017
yeah how?..which program?
MC Apollo 6:39 PM - 4 January, 2017
lets say u start with deck 1?.. then u want to mix in another song. .. wich channel would u use?... deck 2 certainly since if u use deck 3 you cannot.
??? so hee the story ends???
MC Apollo 6:41 PM - 4 January, 2017
i was . not exact. yo cannot use deck 3.. to mix the song in.. wikth deck 1? or can you how do you do it?
MC Apollo 6:43 PM - 4 January, 2017
i want to bring the volume of the deck 3 up as i bring th volume of the deck 1 down.. can ou do it? you cannot.
MC Apollo 6:46 PM - 4 January, 2017
i wsant o bring the equliser low .. down as i bring the equiliser low in deck 3 u.p.. at the smae time.. to make a smooth mix.. you cannot. even further you cannot even see your equalkisr status anywhere on serato pogram.. either..
or do you how?
MC Apollo 6:48 PM - 4 January, 2017
shall i continue.. ??? or you had enough proof?
TeeCeeDF 6:49 PM - 4 January, 2017
The fact that it has two channel strips with faders should have clued you in. In other news, this isn't the tech support department.
MC Apollo 6:56 PM - 4 January, 2017
yeah but its advertised as such too?.. no. able to mix 4 tracks.. !! NOT :( :(
MC Apollo 6:58 PM - 4 January, 2017
to mix something in in dj world is not to place two tracks or 4 trafcks playing simultanuils.y .. but to play simultaniulsy nicely..!!! which is a hge diffrence but becouse they want to make money for some shit product they advertised it like that. i could buy for 250 a two vhannle mixer. and that would be it.. and i spent 250 more money for shit..
dj_spark 9:07 PM - 13 February, 2017
You cannot mix track on the same side (1&3 or 2&4) but yes you can mix 4 decks, you simply need to cross the channels when mixing (left to right / right to left).

Same side mixing won't be as easy.

But I agree with you that separate channels would be easier to use.
g fiz 8:37 PM - 21 February, 2017
Hi there,

So I bought a DDJ-SR controlled, it's been untouched for a while but I'm itching to get into DJ'ing and really get good and potentially end up on vinyl. I was just wondering whether you can actually learn to beat match on the controller as all I keep hearing is you can't properly learn on that, its not advanced enough and that its only use is the sync mode.

Please someone give me some inside knowledge about this, what I can read/learn/watch or where I go from here in terms of actually starting with the right equipment!

Georgia
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:39 AM - 22 February, 2017
Hey Georgia

The DDJ-SR is perfectly good for learning to beat match on - don't worry about what people say :)

Because of the shorter tempo slider and the fact you are using platters instead of turntables, you can't get exactly the same feel as with vinyl, but the sensitivity is plenty good enough to properly get the hang of it. Added bonus is that the SR is packed with other features as well.

There's a ton of beatmatching tutorial videos on Youtube and here's one from someone using a DDJ-SX (which is practically the same as the SR, but with 4 channels): Watchwww.youtube.com

Check out a few clips for some tips and have a go with your SR to get the feel.

Good luck!

Aaron
Chaps PA 10:39 AM - 14 November, 2018
It was good to know about DJ Equipment. If you are looking forDJ Equipment Hire,then you can contact chaps-pa for further details.
Chaps PA 10:44 AM - 14 November, 2018
It was good to know about DJ Equipment. If you are looking for DJ Equipment Hire, then you can contact chaps-pa.co.uk for further details.