Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SDJ Crash while playing out live.

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
WarpNote 5:15 PM - 8 September, 2013
Had a SDJ crash during a gig this saturday.

- Fired up SDJ around seven.
- Played until around nine, then a break while a live act was on.
- Disconnected the controller, left SDJ running, (live act was now playing.)
- While disconnected, fired up iTunes, bought some music during my break (live act still on)
- reconnected the computer to the SX about nine thirty, and started spinning again.
- SDJ crashed on me around one o'clock at night: Sound went out, GUI froze for few seconds, then crash dialog appeared. I was not touching either the controller or the computer when the crash occurred.

Since I also had spotify running (and wifi), I played a tune straight of spotify while restarting SDJ.

System details:
MBP 15" Retina, 16GB Ram, 768 SSD, about 75 GB free on main drive. Serato Remote connected by usb on iPad mini.

Serato details:
About 390 crates
About 100 subcrates
Abpot 64400 tracks altogether in my Serato lib
Audio only, have video installed, but was not activated, as far as I can remember.

Software running at the time of crash:
iTunes (I don't read the itunes library in SDJ)
Spotify (and WiFi connection)
iCal
... might have been something else running, like dropbox desktop and drobo desktop (external disk manager)

I have never ever had crashes in SSL with this (top-specced) computer, and this is my first crash with SDJ on this machine.

Makes me kinda worried, now that SDJ is becoming the new Serato standard, so I really hope to pin down a solution.

Thanks guys!
5:19 PM, 8 Sep 2013
WarpNote attached a file: Serato DJ_2013-09-08-010844_NoteVarp-Retina-MBP.crash
Download· Permalink
WarpNote 5:20 PM - 8 September, 2013
Quote:
About 100 subcrates
ooops, I meant smartcrates (live update is set to "on")....
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:29 PM - 16 September, 2013
Hi WarpNote,

Thanks for the detailed report.

Can you remember doing anything in particular at the time of the crash?

I had a look at the crash report. Its actually not pointing to Serato, rather a graphics issue..
Its a weird one.

I'd like to know if you are able to get it to crash again with the same tracks, if possible.

its hard to pinpoint this, but as you know we don't recommend having wifi on, as per our optimization guide.

Regards

Matt P
WarpNote 8:20 PM - 16 September, 2013
Hi Matt.
Yeah, surprised myself, this new mac has been extremely stable with both SSL and SDJ. I wasn't doing anything special at the time of crash, not even touching the computer. Was playing a regular mp3 file, nothing special going on, apart from the things already described. Not been able to reproduce since, the track in question plays well normally, no issues. Although I haven't really had so much time between work and other gigs (SSL for those..)

Think I'm gonna leave wifi off like you suggested, and keep the ipad on wifi for special requests over spotify if needed.

Graphics wise, running the Retina screen in "Scaled > More Space (1920x1200)" mode.
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:00 PM - 18 September, 2013
WarpNote,

Ok, keep me posted if this happens again.
Seems like a random one off. Still, not cool. Thats nightmare material.

If you can let me know if you have any luck reproducing or pulling a crash report i can have a look at.

Regards,

Matt P
WarpNote 7:36 AM - 19 September, 2013
Thanks Matt, will close for now, then reopen if I can reproduce.