Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

serato destroys wav files

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
housemusic-online.com 10:04 PM - 27 February, 2006
50 % of my wav files are destroyed when I change/add the artist/title, etc.

I think that there are some bad written id3 tags into the .wav files as I've posted in previous discussions.

These destroyed .wav files are not able to read/open with WaveLab anymore. I've to re-read more than 200 CD into my notebook.

Please let me know when a fix will come for mp3 & wav files which will repair our destroyed files.

What should we do to have a nice artist/title in Serato without using the id3 in wav feature?
SpinThis! 12:57 AM - 28 February, 2006
What version of Wavelab? Have you tried any other audio editors (such as the freely available Audacity)? It sounds like a wavelab issue to me.
Konix 4:51 AM - 28 February, 2006
Wavs don't have ID3 tags.
DJ Unique 7:00 AM - 28 February, 2006
I use WAV's without any problems.
nik39 10:43 AM - 28 February, 2006
Konix, but I think they have some sort of tags though (not ID3 tags).
housemusic-online.com 7:34 PM - 28 February, 2006
This .wav's have ID3 tags embedded! Open the .wav file and search for 'ID3' (after you've edited artist, title, etc with Serato!) - you can find them at the end of the file!

It's a very great feature of Serato but I'm not sure if there is a standard defined anywhere (I didn't take a deeper look into it) - but it works - also with RealPlayer 10.5 (but I didn't test it in detail).

Some files will be open correctly by WaveLab 5.01a but not all. When I've time I'll take a deeper look into it if Serato or WaveLab are having problems with it.

Robert
s42000 9:10 PM - 28 February, 2006
Is this issue similar to these once in these threads ?

www.scratchlive.net
www.scratchlive.net

It's been bugging me for a while now.
Serato
Josh 2:24 AM - 1 March, 2006
Quote:
It's a very great feature of Serato but I'm not sure if there is a standard defined anywhere (I didn't take a deeper look into it) - but it works - also with RealPlayer 10.5 (but I didn't test it in detail).

There is a defacto standard, which is what we use, along with iTunes. Same as ID3, but using the RIFF chunk format which Wav files are made of.

When you say "but it works - also with RealPlayer 10.5" does realplayer read the tags correctly? Or just play the files correctly?

would it be fair to say that the title of this thread isn't quite accurate, given that the files still work ok in some apps?
housemusic-online.com 9:38 PM - 1 March, 2006
Josh,

I've 2 .wav files for you: One file where I've have the same text as in the bad file - the difference is the remixer tag.

I also could re-read the original .wav file of the bad file. I could upload you all 3 files (1 x 68 MB, 2 x 61 MB) on my server where you can download it for checking them.

Please let me know which files you want I will prepare an upload. Please e-mail me via my website housemusic-online.com how I could e-mail you these private links (or take my e-mail address of my registration here)!

A few words to the players (under Windows XP+SP2 + all HF's):

Realplayer 10.5 plays the bad file but makes a short crack at the end of every .wav file with id3 tags (sad). Does not show the id3 values in the properties.

Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3990 plays the bad file and does not play a short crack at the end of the file with an id3 tag. Does not show the id3 values in the properties.

Quicktime 7.0.3 is not able to open the good & bad wav file with id3 tags (error -37: a bad file or volume name has been detected). Opens 'normal' .wav files.

Winamp 5.12 plays the bad file and does not play a short crack at the end of the file with an id3 tag. Does not show the id3 values in the properties.

Wavelab 5.01a opens a .wav file (when it opens!) without a notice of a crack at the end - you can see nothing in the waveform. So this works.

I've looked on the id3 tags itself but I can't see problems. I don't know details about the RIFF chunk format.

I'm working with Wavelab for a long time now and I never had a problem to open a file. My guess is that maybe some calculation of hex values (length of something) might not be ok in Serato and Wavelab can't read it correctly - but I'm not sure.

Note that the other players could have a very good error detection (e.g. RealPlayer with reading bad id3 tags!) and so they can read the file. The funny QT isn't able to do this.

Josh, please could you also e-mail me a link where the RIFF chunk format is described? Could you also including a link where the defacto standard for id3 in wav's is described?

Maybe I could help you also in analyzing the files (I'm a programmer) when I've the details.

Best regards,
Robert
SpinThis! 10:05 PM - 1 March, 2006
Robert: it's easiest if you can upload the files right to Serato using their form: www.scratchlive.net
housemusic-online.com 10:36 PM - 1 March, 2006
I know - but the file size will be > doubled via web form. So instead of 61 MB I would upload between 61 and 183 MB for a file!

@ Serato guys: Please e-mail me an e-mail address to which I could send you the links of the 3 .wav files!

Thx,
Robert
nik39 10:44 PM - 1 March, 2006
I dont think it will be doubled, cause its still a binary transfer. (This is not an ASCII email transfer)
housemusic-online.com 11:11 PM - 1 March, 2006
This has nothing to do with ASCII/Binary what you mean (FTP). Via HTML web form it will be the mime type "multipart/form-data" with the method "post".

This means that a one byte with a hex value 0x01 will be transfered in 3 bytes as "%01" or as "=01" => 3 bytes instead of 1 byte.

The web server will convert it back to one byte and save the file on the specified place for the Serato people.

And a binary .wav file includes a lot of non-printable characters and these characters will be converted. The non-printable means also special characters like ÄÖÜ ...
nik39 11:15 PM - 1 March, 2006
Hm. I just coded a webserver RFC-style two months ago, and AFAIR http post was using binary transfer. But.. its 2 months ago and I am not sure whether I am mixing modes. Maybe it was the PUT method which was using straight binary transfer. Sorry.
nobspangle 8:51 AM - 2 March, 2006
you can always zip the files, that will take a good chunk off of them.
SpinThis! 3:17 PM - 2 March, 2006
Quote:
And a binary .wav file includes a lot of non-printable characters and these characters will be converted.

I think you're thinking of ASCII files....

Actually, Serato has it right. multipart/form-data is meant for binary big file transfers; application/x-www-form-urlencoded is probably what you're thinking of--it's the default action of a form and it does encode the data.
Serato
Josh 9:55 PM - 6 March, 2006
Basic RIFF info: en.wikipedia.org
WAV format spec overview: ccrma.stanford.edu
prizo 11:11 PM - 6 March, 2006
just convert everything to high quality mp3 files, thats what i do/\
i dont even waste my time with wavs. too large
Serato
Josh 3:48 AM - 7 March, 2006
going back to the first post:

Quote:
50 % of my wav files are destroyed when I change/add the artist/title, etc.

did there seem to be any rhyme or reason to which files became unreadable?
dj dub 5:45 PM - 7 March, 2006
try to open it into Sound Forge.maybe youre wav file is mono,because one time i try play my wav scratch sample to my ssl aint work then i found my wav file is mono.if not just open to sound forge and resave.
lipton 10:33 AM - 9 March, 2006
is there a way to attatch a tag/label with detailed info to a wave file?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:37 PM - 9 March, 2006
Quote:
is there a way to attatch a tag/label with detailed info to a wave file?
Yes, you can enter data for a WAV file using Scratch LIVE.