Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Constant Crashing

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Reloop Terminal Mix 4
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Compiler 3:59 PM - 31 August, 2013
I've been running DJ intro on my computer for some time and I wanted to try the 14 day trial of Serato DJ. Whenever I run the program It starts up initially and freezes and sometimes throws errors that have included "Not enough storage to process action", "insufficient memory", and some type of thread error that has occurred only once. I'm running an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM so I find it hard to believe there's insufficient memory. I've disconnected my external hard drive where my iTunes library is located and disconnected my controller but the problem persists. DJ Intro has worked flawlessly under this setup. I've also tried older versions all the way back to Serato DJ 1.0 with similar results
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:37 AM - 9 September, 2013
Hey DJ Compiler,

Could I please have your computers full specs? Also a list of all USB device connected would be handy as well.

Can you answer these questions for me:

- Roughly how many tracks/crates do you have in your library?
- Does iTunes organise your music folders?
- Is your music stored internally/externally or both? Partitions on drives?
- do you use iTunes playlists etc in Serato?

Let me know,

Sam
DJ Compiler 3:49 AM - 9 September, 2013
Processor: i7-3632QM
RAM: 16GB (DDR3 I believe)
HD: 1TB

USB Devices Connected:
1.) Reloop Terminal Mix 4
2.) 2TB Western Digital My Passport External Hard Drive

Only 3 Crates in my library

iTunes does organize my music library

The entire iTunes library is stored on the external drive while the iTunes application itself remains on the C:\ Drive

The only iTunes Playlists are the ones that are defaults in iTunes (Eg. Most Played, Highest Rated, etc.) I don't actually use the playlists so I could delete them if need be
DJ Compiler 10:58 AM - 9 September, 2013
Oh I forgot the number of tracks. I have about 55,000 tracks within my iTunes library
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:43 PM - 12 September, 2013
For the moment could we keep your USB harddrive disconnected?

If you navigate to "My Music" and locate your _Serato_ folder, rename this to _Serato_OLD when all Serato software is closed. If you have a partition on your hard drive you will need to repeat the steps for each _Serato_ folder in each root directory. Once this is done try opening the program again.

Cheers, Sam
DJ Compiler 9:02 PM - 12 September, 2013
It ran for about a minute an then windows said Serato DJ has stopped working and it closed the program.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:07 AM - 16 September, 2013
Just confirming that you have followed those steps above exactly (for each drive internally and all USB harddrives connected) and when Serato DJ opens there is absolutely no library loaded?
DJ Compiler 9:40 PM - 18 September, 2013
I only have one internal drive and one external. The external was unplugged during the process. I noticed that a new _Serato_ folder was created in my internal drive. Was this the intended purpose of renaming the folder or is this indicative of an issue.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:12 PM - 22 September, 2013
This is the intended purpose, we want to create a "fresh" library so we can try and isolate the problem.

With the hard drive disconnected and the new _Serato_ folder created, can you open the software with your controller disconnected? If so can you open Setup > Library + Display and uncheck Show iTunes Library.

Let me know if you can connect your controller successfully after this.

Cheers, Sam
DJ Compiler 10:14 PM - 5 October, 2013
Sorry for the delay I just had an important gig and I did not want to tweak my system while all was working fine with intro. So I installed the 1.5 update and with everything disconnected but my internal hard drive retaining its original _Serato_ file all was well. The program did not crash and I seemed to be able to navigate various features of the program without issue. I could open and close the files tab and things like that. When I closed the program, Windows stated that Serato had stopped working and that it needed to close the program. After that I decided to connect just my external hard drive and see what happened there. When I did that it acted normally but at the bottom it seemed to get stuck on the "Loading Crates" message. I waited sometime and then clicked on the only crate I have on the left menu. It showed the contents of the crate just like it should and the message at the bottom disappeared. I then clicked the "All" option on the left menu and I got an error that stated "Out of memory" at which point Windows stated that Serato had stopped working again and ended the program. I'm assuming that this is related to the constraints of the 32-Bit program as it seems to be a memory error. Not sure what I can do at this point except wait for a 64-Bit version of the program to take advantage of more memory in my computer.
HESCHY 3:24 PM - 6 October, 2013
These are simply the minimum requirements to run Serato DJ.

Please Note: Currently we do not support Windows 8 for Serato DJ.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 12:50 AM - 7 October, 2013
Hey DJ Compiler,

I think you may be right, I would recommend having a read of this article: serato.com A little bit of reorganization and you may be able to load up your library, especially if you cut down on filepaths and tracks you do not play.

Let me know if you have any questions about that article.

Cheers, Sam
DJ Compiler 2:39 AM - 7 October, 2013
I appreciate the article and I'll see what I can get to work. Is there any time projection on the release of a 64-Bit version? I know the developers have their hands full with the SSL merger but I didn't know if 64-Bit was in the near future.
DJ Compiler 2:50 AM - 7 October, 2013
I think I just fixed the problem. When I turned off the show iTunes option and restarted Serato it brought over all the files from my iTunes library but it didn't crash. I guess because it was pulling the file path references from my preexisting _Serato_ file without the additional load that the iTunes library places on the memory. I'll test the stability with the 14 day license but this may help people who have been having similar issues.
DJ Compiler 2:59 AM - 7 October, 2013
Oh and I forgot to mention. Thank you so much for your help. This has been so frustrating for me and now that it's working it's going to be a real game changer for me. You provided great support and that's something that is really lacking in many companies today. I look forward to a long future with Serato.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 7:39 PM - 7 October, 2013
Hey DJ Compiler,

No worries! I'm happy to help anytime :)

I'll close this thread for now, but feel free to open it again if you have any more questions,

Cheers, Sam
DJ Compiler 2:47 AM - 12 October, 2013
I am having another problem now. It's crashing on the start up again. I had several days of great stability and now I'm having problems again. The only things that have changed are:

1.) I have deleted songs I know I will not use from my Serato Library
2.) I have edited ID3 tags with iTunes
3.) Windows Update made several updates to my computer.

I have reinstalled Serato, renamed _Serato_ in both drives, and tried uninstalling all the updates made by Windows since the last time it was working for me. Nothing has resolved the issue.

When I boot it up with the controller or external plugged in alone, it behaves correctly but when both are present it will not work unless there is not a _Serato_ folder present in my external hard drive.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 9:46 PM - 13 October, 2013
Hey DJ Compiler,

Again, this looks as though it is a library issue:
Quote:
it will not work unless there is not a _Serato_ folder present in my external hard drive.

Since you have reinstalled the program the iTunes library would be checked by default, try opening the software in offline mode and deselecting the iTunes library option to see if you can run it now.

Also this crash could be caused by 1.5 (I assumed when you re-installed you used the latest version) having more features and therefore higher memory use.

Sam
DJ Compiler 10:02 PM - 13 October, 2013
I was using 1.5 previously and I do not know if I did not uninstall the program correctly but the iTunes option is still unchecked. I will try uninstalling the program again and deleting the database files related to it before reinstalling to start over with a clean slate. I would also like to note that I brought windows back up to date because most of the updates were related to security.
DJ Compiler 11:39 PM - 13 October, 2013
Alright I just finished the reinstallation and added my files back to my library without the use of iTunes and I'm still having the same problem. I just get a message that says Serato DJ has stopped working and then it says Windows needs to close the program. I don't think this is a memory issue because my library has not grown any bigger and I'm using the same program. The only thing that has changed is the updates to my operating system. What is the next course of action I need to take? Do I need to wait for Windows 8 support now?
DJ Compiler 5:12 PM - 14 October, 2013
Running a limited number of tracks seems to work for right now but I don't know what's changed to require this.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:39 PM - 15 October, 2013
Quote:
Running a limited number of tracks seems to work for right now but I don't know what's changed to require this.

That seems to point towards a memory issue, or perhaps library corruption?

Are you able to open up Serato DJ without your controller connected? If so can you open it up, hold down control and then click analyse files. This will force the software to analyse all of your files again. Once this is done remove all the corrupt files from your library, they should show with a lightning bolt icon in the first column of the library.

Let me know how you go,

Sam
DJ Compiler 10:46 PM - 15 October, 2013
I've cleared my library of the corrupt files before and that did not fix it. Right now it's working as it should but my overall library capacity has been reduced. So I'll just go without my entire iTunes library for right now. I'll mark the thread as fixed.