Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

DDJ-SX as MIDI controller for Ableton Live?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
JaredM 2:48 PM - 29 August, 2013
This is really basic question and I'm probably missing something, but just wondering if the DDJ-SX can be used as a standard MIDI controller in Ableton. It doesn't appear as an available option in the software, so I'm just wondering in general if the device doubles as a MIDI controller or is proprietary to Serato DJ?

Thanks!
Jared
DJ Axon 7:06 PM - 29 August, 2013
I know it's not ableton but I was able to link to FL Studio and map certain buttons
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:20 AM - 3 September, 2013
Hi JaredM,

I know it is possible, however I dont know what steps need to be taken to run it as a MIDI controller from within Ableton. There might be a firmware you need to download?

Actually, now that I think of it, I have a feeling there is a special combination of buttons that need to be pressed on the DDJ-SX that will put it into "external midi mapping mode" of some sort. Check out the Pioneer forum for any relevant steps.

You could also contact Pioneer and see if anyone knows! :)

Good luck!
JaredM 3:11 PM - 5 September, 2013
Cool, I'll follow up with Pioneer. Thanks!
Davey73 6:35 PM - 5 September, 2013
Hold shift/play on left deck while turning on the ddj. Once on press keylock. Once keylock is lit, restart the ddj. You are now in midi mode. Good luck.
JaredM 5:31 PM - 7 September, 2013
Thanks - this was helpful. Was also able to install a driver for the device from Pioneer which made it appear as a GM device as well as core audio i/o in Ableton (obviously w/o pre-mapping.) Something to play around with for sure- lots of possibilities and value for the DDJ-SX even outside of Serato.