DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Worst DJ experience thread

DjCity 1:30 AM - 28 August, 2013
What's your WORST DJ experience?

Mine was back on 2008

O.k.
I got to the show about 1 1/2 hours before showtime. I set up all the equipment, Did my soundcheck and all was perfect except, I had no sound thru ch1 on the amp. I had a signal going thru the soundcard, the mixer, the driverack, and the sonic maximizer. I'm like WTF?*? I check all my cables and all of them work. I switch speaker cables around and I get sound out the other channel. I'm like, O.K. so I have a bad speaker cable but...BOTH WORK ON EITHER CHANNEL just won't work together thru both channels. WEIRD...

I say phuck it and use one ch. hook both speaker cables to ch1 and just run a 4ohm load. No problem. I figure i'll sort it all out later, just let me get through the night.

I'm doing the wedding AND the reception for this young couple. Got my deposit about 3 months ago and the other half is due now. People are beginning to show up for the wedding and it's supposed to be about 300 people. I'm like, O.k...where is my money. Folks are looking at me like, aren't you gonna play some music for the arrival of the guests? I'm like, Sure, as soon as I get paid. So the Reverend shows up and I have about 60 people in the room already. He says, You should play some music for the people who are here and the people who are still arriving. Now I have already spoken to the wedding coordinator and told her I will start playing as soon as I get paid. She said she herself is still waiting for her balance but not to worry, it's coming. I asked the reverend if he got paid yet and he said Oh... you have not been paid yet? I said nope, not yet. He had a nervous look on his face and said he had not been paid all his money yet either. At this point it's looking kinda bad. I have about 175 people in the seats now and i'm not playing ANYTHING.

Finally, the hostess comes to me and hands me an envelope. I open, count, and frown. The envelope is short by $300. The hostess says Oh sorry and goes in her purse and hands me the other $300 in $100 bills.

I start playing and now the Reverend is looking at me like...You got paid before me? I'm like ...yeah. Anyway, the wedding went off with no issues at all. It was a very fast wedding. Lasted about 15 minutes.

Now to the reception...
I moved me equipment to the next hall where the reception is being held. Again, No issues at all. I'm set up in 5 min flat. The guests are eating and drinking and drinking and drinking. After the reception events (Toast, garter toss & such) are complete, It's time to PARTY. The couple wanted it to be a REAL party and that's just what it was...UNTIL...

I guess drinking really gets folks to be honest because the best man felt he had to get something off his chest. He asked me if I could turn the music off for a minute so he could make an announcement. I had a packed dance floor so I said "NO" you need to ask the bride and groom and if it's cool with them then it's cool with me. He goes to the Groom and I notice the Bride looking REAL nervous. The groom says cool, Let him make his speech.

I turn off the music and dude takes the mic. WOW. He told the wedding goers that he had to come clean. He had sex with the bride the night before and earlier that day. YES the day of the wedding the best man and the bride had sex. Not just sex but freaky oral anal freaky sex.

The whole place went dead silent except for the bride who was crying and saying how sorry she was. It was pathetic.

The Groom rushes the best man and hits him with a punch so hard that I heard the guys jaw break. The best man did not go down though, he fought back and the bride is just sitting on the floor crying. As you can imagine, This is all happening just a few feet away from me AND MY EQUIPMENT. The Best man pushed the groom towards me and to save me equipment, I pushed him back towards the best man who landed a right hook that knocked the groom out. The problem was that he fell on the speaker stand that then fell on the bride.

So I have 1 speaker on a stand, a bride who got hit with a Yamaha s115v speaker, a Groom laid out on the floor, stunned guests, and a panic from the staff that own the hall.

THIS IS THE WORST EVENT I HAVE EVER DONE.

What A Night
DJ Boom Bap 1:58 AM - 28 August, 2013
Pics or it never happened
DjCity 2:00 AM - 28 August, 2013
Fuck u.
I have no pics.
It happened back is 2008.
What's YOUR worst night?
DjCity 2:01 AM - 28 August, 2013
Back IN 2008
auttomattik 2:09 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Pics or it never happened

This.
DjCity 2:13 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Fuck u.
I have no pics.
It happened back is 2008.
What's YOUR worst night?

All I can say.

I posted this on another forum the night this happened. Just found the thread and posted it here.

This was the WILDEST thing to EVER have happened to me at an event.
I had a dude get shot to death in the parking lot, had stabbings in the club but NOTHING came close to this ghetto ass wedding.

I gives 2 shits if you believe or not.
DJ Reflex 2:15 AM - 28 August, 2013
Interesting night!

I got a similar one... (sorry, no pics)

I'm doing a wedding years ago up in Wisconsin. It's a second wedding for the bride at least and she has a young son (about 7-8 yr old I guess). After announcements are over and people are starting to eat, the ex-husband comes barging in the reception hall. He's dressed like Larry the Cable Guy and drunk off his ass. He comes up to me and says "gimme a microphone". Hell no - so he decides to just shout his rant in front of my rig.

Drunk Ex - "Carol, what the hell are you doing?" Now all the attention is on him.
Bride - "Earl, I told you NOT to come here tonight"
Son - "Daddy, how did you get here?"
Drunk Ex - "Jimmy, you're coming with me. You mom's a cheap whore who doesn't deserve you."
New husband - "Earl, this is not the place! I don't want to have to deal with you tonight."
Bride - crying
Son - crying
Drunk Ex and New Husband - fighting

Long story short, cops arrive, drunk ex fights with them. Bride is hysterical. Guests are in shock and the kid is now in therapy!
DJ Jonasty 3:52 AM - 28 August, 2013
Wow, that's a crazy story DJcity. I don't have anything that bad. Although I did announce the wrong Grooms name while introducing them to the dancefloor one time. I had some wine, well a few actually and somebody was talking to me about somebody else and when I announced I used the wrong name. It still gives me chills to this day thinking back to it. I've never admitted it. I just buried it deep inside hoping it never happened, but yeah it did.

Oh and I had a drunk guy knock one of my speakers over this one time.
WarpNote 8:05 AM - 28 August, 2013
A few years back, I was doing our "tripple trouble" night at a local club. 3 DJs spinning back to back. We had 2 macbooks set up, 2 serial connected SL1's, 2xCDJ800's, 2xTechnics 1210's with a DJM800 (could have been a DJM700, can't remember). One of the Technics at the club was out of order, so I had to rush home to pick up one of my own.

The equipment was set up on a small stage with stairs going all around, so you could basically walk up anywhere, and even sit down on the stairs. The actual booth was on wheels. Although with a stopping mechanism, not an "ideal" solution, to say the least. Then, one, maybe two hours into the set, the venue is filled to about 80% of capacity, I go to the bar, to pick up drinks for my fellow DJs and myself:

The sound shuts completely off, I turn around, there is nothing to be seen where the booth was standing. I rush over, turns out some guy sat down on those stairs and used the booth as a backrest, tipping the whole thing over. Everything fell inwards to the stage, computers, turntables, CDJs, laptop stands. The only thing hanging by the the XLRs were the DJM. For the first time ever I was ready to throw punches at the punter who did it. However, the owner were present and calmed the situation.

Took us about 15 min to set back up (actually felt more like 45 minutes), my mbp now had a wider open angle to the screen, and the groundwire got pulled from the turntable.
auttomattik 10:07 PM - 28 August, 2013
Glad to hear a couple believable stories. HAHA!
hyun 10:13 PM - 28 August, 2013
Apparently the DJ at my wedding got my wifes name wrong... I had no clue until he came up to me and apologized, I think I was too pumped up and it was a bit too loud to even notice. At least he was honest about it.
DJ Mozo 3:10 PM - 30 August, 2013
I was djing a wedding. Everythings going smoothly, I was playing some piano covers of popular songs during dinner along with the typical Michael Buble stuff, little bit of a party going etc.. We start the first dance fine.. then the MOTHER daughter dance.. upon announcement I said "Can we please have the FATHER of the bride to the floor as we....excuse me the MOTHER of the bride." The dad had just recently left the family... FML... AND THE SONG THEY WERE DANCING TO WAS CALLED MOTHER!!! fail lol
After that everything went off with not one speedbump, but I almost shat myself with that one lol.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:20 PM - 30 August, 2013
Quote:

I turn off the music and dude takes the mic. WOW. He told the wedding goers that he had to come clean. He had sex with the bride the night before and earlier that day. YES the day of the wedding the best man and the bride had sex. Not just sex but freaky oral anal freaky sex.

2 questions:
1) so the best man specifically said freaky oral anal sex....in his apology?

2) why was sixxx the best man and not the dj at this wedding?
DjCity 5:27 PM - 30 August, 2013
He "described" fucking her and how he fucked her. (Graphic).

I don't understand question 2.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:52 PM - 30 August, 2013
Heres my worst gig story....

Im booked for a corp gig, suppossed to be playing for between 600 and 800 people. In order to get this gig i had to fill out tax forms and become a service vender, no biggy ive done all of that before, so i get everything filled out and sent in and everything looks good. Well on the day of the event i pack and leave my house and on the way i get a call from HR that they never recieved my paperwork. So i hit a uturn and head back to the house to resend it. I get home and try resending it but my internets acting up so i transfer it to my phone and email it from there, so now im in a huuuuuge rush and wouldnt you know it theres an accident on the highway and traffics SLAMMED, as i go by the accident my tire must have picked up a nail and my low tire light comes on but im like fuck iti can make it ill fix it later. So i get to the building and the receptonist makes me fill out all of this security paperwork and nondisclosure agreements. Im like wtf im just a dj. So i move all my equipment in and set up and there are all of these guys in CIA suits there lookin hella spooky, so I start playing some tuned and the head spook comes up and asks if i recieved the requested playlist from hr, i tell him no and look at my phone to notice my email never sent. So the head guy looks terrified and starts screaming abort abort we have a problem, all of these guys start scattering and this bright flash of light appears and outta nowwhere these creatures i can only describe as a mix of half scorpion half spidermonkey appear, the man looks at me and screams FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLAY SOMETHING GOOD!!! I found out later these creatited are called aldariuns and this was a diplomatic mission from their planet to sign a truce on out planet, so i think good song good song so i go to scratch in good timed but the high pitched noises frighten the creatures who now feel under attack and start using their scorpion tales to stab the men in black around them. The guy in charge screams LOOK WHAT YOUVE DONE!! and begins to pull a weapon one before being taken out by one of the nimble creatures who immediatley rips his face off and stares at me. In a panic i hit the crossfader and drop a skrillex song. The creatures wreath in pain as theyre not used to these sub frequencys. So here i am standing in the middle of an alien invasion with a dead MIB agent next to me surrounded by pissed off spidermonkeys. So i say fuck this and i run, i get to my car but, yup, tires flat, fuck me right. So i hear an engine start and turn to see a blob of acid break the passenger window and completly dissolve an angent who was trying to escape. I run to his car and hop in, the dash was written in some strange language but i said fuck it and started hitting buttons and BOOOM i dissapear......long story short i didnt get paid, i ruined the pace/time continuim and i was never born.

Moral of the story: always get your paperwork in ontime and get a playlist!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:52 PM - 30 August, 2013

Im booked for a corp gig, suppossed to be playing for between 600 and 800 people. In order to get this gig i had to fill out tax forms and become a service vender, no biggy ive done all of that before, so i get everything filled out and sent in and everything looks good. Well on the day of the event i pack and leave my house and on the way i get a call from HR that they never recieved my paperwork. So i hit a uturn and head back to the house to resend it. I get home and try resending it but my internets acting up so i transfer it to my phone and email it from there, so now im in a huuuuuge rush and wouldnt you know it theres an accident on the highway and traffics SLAMMED, as i go by the accident my tire must have picked up a nail and my low tire light comes on but im like fuck iti can make it ill fix it later. So i get to the building and the receptonist makes me fill out all of this security paperwork and nondisclosure agreements. Im like wtf im just a dj. So i move all my equipment in and set up and there are all of these guys in CIA suits there lookin hella spooky, so I start playing some tuned and the head spook comes up and asks if i recieved the requested playlist from hr, i tell him no and look at my phone to notice my email never sent. So the head guy looks terrified and starts screaming abort abort we have a problem, all of these guys start scattering and this bright flash of light appears and outta nowwhere these creatures i can only describe as a mix of half scorpion half spidermonkey appear, the man looks at me and screams FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLAY SOMETHING GOOD!!! I found out later these creatited are called aldariuns and this was a diplomatic mission from their planet to sign a truce on out planet, so i think good song good song so i go to scratch in good timed but the high pitched noises frighten the creatures who now feel under attack and start using their scorpion tales to stab the men in black around them. The guy in charge screams LOOK WHAT YOUVE DONE!! and begins to pull a weapon one before being taken out by one of the nimble creatures who immediatley rips his face off and stares at me. In a panic i hit the crossfader and drop a skrillex song. The creatures wreath in pain as theyre not used to these sub frequencys. So here i am standing in the middle of an alien invasion with a dead MIB agent next to me surrounded by pissed off spidermonkeys. So i say fuck this and i run, i get to my car but, yup, tires flat, fuck me right. So i hear an engine start and turn to see a blob of acid break the passenger window and completly dissolve an angent who was trying to escape. I run to his car and hop in, the dash was written in some strange language but i said fuck it and started hitting buttons and BOOOM i dissapear......long story short i didnt get paid, i ruined the pace/time continuim and i was never born.

Moral of the story: always get your paperwork in ontime and get a playlist!
Jader 6:09 PM - 30 August, 2013
U asshole. Just had to post your shit twice didn't you?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:12 PM - 30 August, 2013
I clearly told you space time was broken, do you somehow think scrarchlive.com is exempt from the laws of reality
DjCity 6:17 PM - 30 August, 2013
Lls!
CMOS 6:29 PM - 30 August, 2013
But did the spidermonkeys twerk?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:35 PM - 30 August, 2013
Yes and unlike the op i have pics to prove it

encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com
Papa Midnight 8:28 PM - 30 August, 2013
Quote:

I see someone has met sixxx.

I kid, I kid, lol.

Man I've seen some shit as a DJ but you guys have some frakked up stories.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:39 PM - 30 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
2 questions:
1) so the best man specifically said freaky oral anal sex....in his apology?

2) why was sixxx the best man and not the dj at this wedding?

Quote:
Quote:

I see someone has met sixxx.

I kid, I kid, lol.

Man I've seen some shit as a DJ but you guys have some frakked up stories.

^lol
WarpNote 3:29 PM - 31 August, 2013
Real moral of mbezzle story: ease up on the weed ;)
djnak 4:45 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:

F' That !!!! theres no way bezzles story was weed related...I could see some kind of opiate but not weed......
auttomattik 5:00 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

F' That !!!! theres no way bezzles story was weed related...I could see some kind of opiate but not weed......

Bezzle + Molly = His Undying love for EDM / Fabricated "Worst Ever" stories.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:35 PM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:

^^^^This... I saw those videos - looks like he was playing the enchanted forest...'
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
auttomattik 7:59 PM - 31 August, 2013
HOLY SHIT! I've seen them before, but they feel brand new everytime. I think I them watch every related video, everytime. WOW!
auttomattik 8:00 PM - 31 August, 2013
Those videos are MY worst DJ experience.
slimmjimm 11:40 PM - 1 September, 2013
Quote:

Im booked for a corp gig, suppossed to be playing for between 600 and 800 people. In order to get this gig i had to fill out tax forms a........

BLAH

BLAH

and

more

BLAH

Duh, should've played Men In Black.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:55 PM - 2 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

^^^^This... I saw those videos - looks like he was playing the enchanted forest...'
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

LMAO!

These NEVER get old...

Who knew Bezzle was dating Henreitta Hippo....

Watchwww.youtube.com

Then had the NEVER to get SONNED by her....lmao...
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:42 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:

Clearly everyone lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:43 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

LMAO!

These NEVER get old...

Watchwww.youtube.com

*NERVE
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:34 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

LMAO!

These NEVER get old...

Watchwww.youtube.com

*NERVE

Thank you for that clarification.... :-)