DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Skating Rink Set

MacTheBadAzz 4:55 PM - 27 August, 2013
I've got this gig in a few days at a Skating rink for a college frat at an HBCU. My memories of the skating rink (Miami, FL) in the early 90s consitsed of LOTS of Bass Music, Local Artist and whatever was hot on the radio at he time.

Anyone have any suggestions?

- African Bombada
- WCO Computer Games
- Planet Rock Maybe?
- Early 90s' Late 80s?
djdalite 5:09 PM - 27 August, 2013
space jam, the train

freestyle hits
Taipanic 5:12 PM - 27 August, 2013
Planat Petrol
Twilite 22
Grendmastr PEB
MCE ADE
Egipyn Lovr
MacTheBadAzz 5:14 PM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
space jam, the train

freestyle hits

Quad City DJs!!!! Tottally forgot about those songs
young1 9:12 PM - 27 August, 2013
Here's a link to 100 Freestyle hits.

www.digitaldreamdoor.com
DJ Reflex 2:20 AM - 28 August, 2013
Debbie Deb - lots of Debbie Deb!

Quote:
Egipyn Lovr

Man - that was the jam too!
DJ Benny B NYC 3:03 PM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
for a college frat

if they are college age, i would suggest just playing current music.
DJ Remy USA 5:59 PM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
for a college frat

if they are college age, i would suggest just playing current music.

Yes college kids don't know what freestyle music is..Lol they think Yin Yang twins is old school.
Joee 10:30 PM - 28 August, 2013
VIEW LISTINGS RINK ESSENTIALS
Show All Listings Print Download Tab Text View Artwork
Title Artist Mix BPM Genre
01 Planet Rock Afrika Bambaattaa 127
02 Celebration Kool & The Gang 122
03 Let The Music Play Shannon 115
04 Rock With You Michael Jackson 115
05 Jam On It Newcleus 116
06 Atomic Dog George Clinton 102
07 Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll Baby DC featuring Imajin 102
08 A Public Affair Jessica Simpson 124
09 Summer Jam The Underdog Project 130
10 Da' Dip Freak Nasty 132
11 Temperature Sean Paul 125
12 Lose Control Missy Elliott f./Ciara and Fat Man Scoop 125
13 Feel Good, Inc. Gorillaz 138
14 Spring Love (Come Back To Me) Stevie B 118
15 Time After Time Timmy T 128
16 C'mon N' Ride It (The Train) Quad City DJ's 136
17 Someday Sugar Ray 111
18 Love Rollercoaster Red Hot Chili Peppers 116
19 Fast Food Song Fast Food Rockers 130
20 Wipeout Fat Boys & The Beach Boys 132
21 Cha-Cha Slide Mr. C The Slide Man 122
22 Electric Boogie (The Electric Slide) Marcia Griffiths 107
23 Chicken Noodle Soup Webstar & Young B f./AG aka The Voice Of Harlem 096
Joee 10:32 PM - 28 August, 2013
^^-------> www.promoonly.com
MacTheBadAzz 3:37 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
VIEW LISTINGS RINK ESSENTIALS
Show All Listings Print Download Tab Text View Artwork
Title Artist Mix BPM Genre
01 Planet Rock Afrika Bambaattaa 127
02 Celebration Kool & The Gang 122
03 Let The Music Play Shannon 115
04 Rock With You Michael Jackson 115
05 Jam On It Newcleus 116
06 Atomic Dog George Clinton 102
07 Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll Baby DC featuring Imajin 102
08 A Public Affair Jessica Simpson 124
09 Summer Jam The Underdog Project 130
10 Da' Dip Freak Nasty 132
11 Temperature Sean Paul 125
12 Lose Control Missy Elliott f./Ciara and Fat Man Scoop 125
13 Feel Good, Inc. Gorillaz 138
14 Spring Love (Come Back To Me) Stevie B 118
15 Time After Time Timmy T 128
16 C'mon N' Ride It (The Train) Quad City DJ's 136
17 Someday Sugar Ray 111
18 Love Rollercoaster Red Hot Chili Peppers 116
19 Fast Food Song Fast Food Rockers 130
20 Wipeout Fat Boys & The Beach Boys 132
21 Cha-Cha Slide Mr. C The Slide Man 122
22 Electric Boogie (The Electric Slide) Marcia Griffiths 107
23 Chicken Noodle Soup Webstar & Young B f./AG aka The Voice Of Harlem 096

DOPE LIST!!! I pretty much played one through 10..then alot of bass music and any upbeat R & B from the 90's...like sing a longs that most people know. It was a great experience.
MacTheBadAzz 3:44 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:

www.digitaldreamdoor.com

This is perfect!!! ...Really wished I wouldve caught this post before that gig...I literally had no clue tht this genre was called freestyle..this is dope!
 6 3:52 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

www.digitaldreamdoor.com

This is perfect!!! ...Really wished I wouldve caught this post before that gig...I literally had no clue tht this genre was called freestyle..this is dope!

Can I ask how old are you and how long you've been djing?

nm
DJ Remy USA 3:28 PM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.digitaldreamdoor.com

nm

he's probably a 90s babies freestyle was hot late 80s early 90s and from what I can tell freestyle was more prevelant in latino communities during those times at least in D.C
DJ Reflex 2:09 AM - 17 September, 2013
^^ True ^^ Freestyle had it's moment near Chicago back in the 90's as well, but never made it much into my college sets and eventually faded out. I still have a few records, but don't get much use out of them.
Papa Midnight 4:32 AM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
Yes college kids don't know what freestyle music is..Lol they think Yin Yang twins is old school.

This right here made me feel old... I tried Get Low at a party a couple of years ago and got blank stares. Never did it since.
DJ Remy USA 10:51 AM - 17 September, 2013
^^^ probably just played it at the wrong time. Get low still works for pretty much any crowd. Different crowds require different delivery methods of the same track
DJ VEE 11:29 AM - 17 September, 2013
It sure does make you feel a little old, doesn't it? Freestyle was pretty big in my days. I remember listening to a DJ on Saturday afternoons on a local radio station (static galore ), who spun the latest freestyle and dance music, (clear your schedule, no Internet or streaming back then). Sitting with a note pad and writing down chorus words or whatever we thought made sense. Then doing the research at one of the record stores ( remember those?). Scouring through all of their stuff. If you figured it out and it wasn't available, put your order in and buy a copy before it came in. Going down on Saturday and hoping the record was in, if not you waited till next shipment ( usually a week ). Some of the house stuff used to be UK imports, so you would drop almost $20 on a single because of the import taxes. Used to sometimes spend my whole weeks pay at the record store and walk out broke. Damn! How's that for making you feel old?
DJ Hcables 1:47 PM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
I've got this gig in a few days at a Skating rink for a college frat at an HBCU. My memories of the skating rink (Miami, FL) in the early 90s consitsed of LOTS of Bass Music, Local Artist and whatever was hot on the radio at he time.

Anyone have any suggestions?

- African Bombada
- WCO Computer Games
- Planet Rock Maybe?
- Early 90s' Late 80s?

If im too late then im too late, I have a bunch of stuff you could play. I too am from south florida and if you remember the old power 96 days,
Planet rock
Trinere
Debbie Deb
Dj Laz
Don't stop the rock
Danny D
Lil Suzy
Stevie B
DJ VEE 2:09 PM - 17 September, 2013
Coro
Quad city DJS
Cover girls
George Lamont
DJ VEE 2:10 PM - 17 September, 2013
SOS Band
stevie o 3:28 PM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:

www.digitaldreamdoor.com

Awesome site. I wish they sold all the listed tracks as a bundle set. Anyone know of something similar for download?
DJ Remy USA 2:32 AM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
It sure does make you feel a little old, doesn't it? Freestyle was pretty big in my days. I remember listening to a DJ on Saturday afternoons on a local radio station (static galore ), who spun the latest freestyle and dance music, (clear your schedule, no Internet or streaming back then). Sitting with a note pad and writing down chorus words or whatever we thought made sense. Then doing the research at one of the record stores ( remember those?). Scouring through all of their stuff. If you figured it out and it wasn't available, put your order in and buy a copy before it came in. Going down on Saturday and hoping the record was in, if not you waited till next shipment ( usually a week ). Some of the house stuff used to be UK imports, so you would drop almost $20 on a single because of the import taxes. Used to sometimes spend my whole weeks pay at the record store and walk out broke. Damn! How's that for making you feel old?

I do that on ITUNES now I spend hundreds of dollars on ITUNES I think Im over 3,000$ in ITUNES purchases its pretty bad I think I need help.
DJ Remy USA 2:33 AM - 18 September, 2013
oh man Ive got a DJ Laz CD somewhere from like 1990 or something early like that.
DJ VEE 2:42 AM - 18 September, 2013
3K?!?! We need to star a support group or something. My day job requires me to travel all over the place so I regularly hit some of the local pawn shops and go through the CD section. I end buying a bunch if CDs for less than $1 each, or right around that. Works out pretty good. Cheaper than iTunes . Rip them in to your library, done.
Papa Midnight 12:37 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
I do that on ITUNES now I spend hundreds of dollars on ITUNES I think Im over 3,000$ in ITUNES purchases its pretty bad I think I need help.

Holy shit...
DJ VEE 12:55 PM - 18 September, 2013
" Hello everyone, my name is DJ Remy and I'm an iTunes a-holic." Lol!
Just kidding. It can spiral real fast though. I know what you mean. I did a wedding earlier on this summer. Very untraditional. All of the ceremony songs had a video game theme (newer ones like halo and stuff, not Mario bro's or the like, actually interesting ). Anyway, I did not have a lot of the stuff, so I get 95% or so from iTunes . I did the wedding for a token amount because the brides father helped me out with a huge favor so I was basically returning that favour. Before you know it, I was into it for like $60 on iTunes to get these songs that I will probably never use again, lol. But now, I'll be ready if someone wants a video game themed wedding ceremony... Ha. What are the chances? That dload button on iTunes can be dangerous .
MacTheBadAzz 3:18 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.digitaldreamdoor.com

nm

26 I've been promoting events for 5, DJing for Only 2
MacTheBadAzz 3:19 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
oh man Ive got a DJ Laz CD somewhere from like 1990 or something early like that.

I remember him being HUGE in Miami when I was younger!
Manny C dot com 3:41 AM - 19 September, 2013

Oh snap, did somebody say early 90's skating in Miami???

Watchwww.youtube.com
Taipanic 6:36 PM - 19 September, 2013
When I think of Skating Music I'm thinking more Electro than Freestyle - Planet Patrol, Twilight 22, Afrika Bambaataa, Megatron, etc... The late 80's-early 90's was a great time to be in South Fl for sure!
Knucklehead 5:05 AM - 18 October, 2013
Galaxy skate center.... Those were the days. I went to northeast high and was bumping Jam Pony Express stuff. Who remembers them? Lol
RobDJ dotcom 1:34 PM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
When I think of Skating Music I'm thinking more Electro than Freestyle - Planet Patrol, Twilight 22, Afrika Bambaataa, Megatron, etc... The late 80's-early 90's was a great time to be in South Fl for sure!

I don't even know what that was in reference to but I think maybe someone meant Freestyle the music group that I'd call electro. We definitely played the hell outta some Freestyle when I was skating. $hit, I play Freestyle (the group) NOW, every time I can do a little mini throwback set at a gig!
young1 12:10 AM - 23 November, 2013
Quote:
Galaxy skate center.... Those were the days. I went to northeast high and was bumping Jam Pony Express stuff. Who remembers them? Lol

Jam pony Express.... I remember listening to that in Atlanta at sparkles, and screamin wheels roller rinks. Those were the days.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:14 AM - 23 November, 2013
Quote:
freestyle was more prevelant in latino communities during those times at least in D.C

filipino culture is big on freestyle as well.