DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Electro Voice Elx115 p or Cerwin Vega P1500x

djMcClaren 11:51 PM - 23 August, 2013
I would like to know which one of these speakers to buy for Djing. I'm a beginner, and would like to make one good purchase that would last for a long period of time.
the_black_one 12:12 AM - 24 August, 2013
whats your budget? what events do you need sound for? will you be buying a sub? is weight an issue?
the_black_one 12:20 AM - 24 August, 2013
just quick answer .... i'm an EV guy and them EV's sound darn good..

NM NH
DJ GaFFle 1:41 AM - 24 August, 2013
Here's that CV against the JBL PRX615. Good for Cerwin Vega for ridding themselves of those gawdy red speaker surrounds and metallic grills on their prior power models. These models look great.

Watchwww.youtube.com
djMcClaren 2:24 AM - 24 August, 2013
My budget is close to four. I'm looking at two tops and two bottom. I want to produce my own dance. I will be playing lots of oldies for 40s and above. I heard the Evs and the Vegas, however, the Vegas sound a lot better to my ear. Every DJ like a different sound, on the other hand, I like the Vegas.
Joee 11:15 AM - 24 August, 2013
Quote:
My budget is close to four. I'm looking at two tops and two bottom. I want to produce my own dance. I will be playing lots of oldies for 40s and above. I heard the Evs and the Vegas, however, the Vegas sound a lot better to my ear. Every DJ like a different sound, on the other hand, I like the Vegas.

if four means $4,000, you need to be looking a different speakers
Joee 11:25 AM - 24 August, 2013
djMcClaren 6:30 AM - 25 August, 2013
What different powered speakers should I be looking into? I don't have a truck or Suv to haul passive speakers around. Powered speakers would be more economical to haul around to a dance, consequently, I have a four door car Camry.

DjMcClaren
lvmez 12:53 PM - 25 August, 2013
12" QSC's or even 10"'s if you don't have the room.
Joee 1:35 PM - 25 August, 2013
Quote:
What different powered speakers should I be looking into? I don't have a truck or Suv to haul passive speakers around. Powered speakers would be more economical to haul around to a dance, consequently, I have a four door car Camry.

DjMcClaren

if you have a four door camry these rcf would be a GOOD choice, as they are small compact speakers with big speakers sound

Quote:
12" QSC's or even 10"'s if you don't have the room.

as ivmez said 2 qsc k12 & 2 qsc kw181 would be another good choice, but will cost more around $4500

i would take a good look at the rcf they would be around $3,100, rcf i made it italy QUALITY speaker
www.idjnow.com

www.idjnow.com
Joee 1:41 PM - 25 August, 2013
or even consider 2 qsc k12's and 1 qsc kw181 at $3,100 either choice you can't go wrong!!!!!!!
DJ GaFFle 3:59 PM - 25 August, 2013
Quote:
or even consider 2 qsc k12's and 1 qsc kw181 at $3,100 either choice you can't go wrong!!!!!!!

Or, even consider 2 Yamaha DXR12's and 1 Yamaha DSR118W. 7-year warranty!
Joee 4:28 PM - 25 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Or, even consider 2 Yamaha DXR12's and 1 Yamaha DSR118W. 7-year warranty!

this too, i forgot to mention the yamaha

these yamahas are stating to be known as the qsc killer, and they would be right @ $3,000 or even less
DJ GaFFle 9:55 PM - 25 August, 2013
If you ever want to suggest a contender to the higher level speakers and don't have ZXa5 money, try the Yamaha DSR15's. They have a large high compression driver and I've heard that they sound excellent.
Joee 10:06 PM - 25 August, 2013
62lbs on the heavy side----> usa.yamaha.com

and on the pricey side, chances are if they don't have money for zxa5 they wont have money for these--> www.sweetwater.com
Joee 10:12 PM - 25 August, 2013
the 12 is looking real nice also has a 2inch hf driver & under 50lbs, i thought there was someone on the forum saying the dxr was better for dj use & the dsr was more for live bands?
djMcClaren 10:23 PM - 25 August, 2013
What is the difference between the Yamaha DX15, DSR15, and the Cerwin Vega P1550X in sound? Has anyone owned and Djed with any of these speakers for a long period of time without any problem? I'm not in a hurry to buy, however, I would like to be happy and satisfied with my purchase. That's the reason I had joined this forum. Djs are the best source of how these equipments worked under extreme conditions. Listening to certain speakers are fine in an enclose environment, but its the Djs that can really give someone a very good understanding of the behavior of certain products. Thanks for all of your inputs.

DjMcClaren
Joee 10:34 PM - 25 August, 2013
there are a lot of good speaker out there in your price range, i'm gonna stick with mu original suggestion of rcf, they are good/good sounding/quality speakers well under your budget

do your research and you will find that they are top notch, links posted below

DJ GaFFle 11:39 PM - 25 August, 2013
Quote:
What is the difference between the Yamaha DX15, DSR15...

DjMcClaren

To sum it up, the DSR's are a step up in that:

º they have better clarity 2" vs. 1.4" high compression driver
º the bass should be better at the loudest volumes 3" vs. 2.5" voice coil on bass driver
º they get louder overall (+3dB more)
º they're made of wood so a better quality sound vs. the plastic DXR
º their cabinets are more durable in coating and show less wear than the plastic DXR (per read reports of the finish)

Quote:
...and on the pricey side, chances are if they don't have money for zxa5 they wont have money for these--> www.sweetwater.com

Hmmm... that's $999 each and a pair for $2k. A pair of new ZXa5's is no less than $3k. That's a BIG savings for most and you get a built-in limiter. ;-)

Quote:
i thought there was someone on the forum saying the dxr was better for dj use & the dsr was more for live bands?

I think this is because most DJs are always looking for the cheapest solution possible. Another reason is because of the smaller high compression driver in the DXR lends to a more smiley-faced EQ sound overall (high bass, low mids, bright highs) that DJs generally prefer for playback music.

Between the two Yammies, give me the DSR... I know I have subs (Danleys) and I'll need as much clarity and loudness as possible to keep up with them.
(nm)
Joee 11:47 PM - 25 August, 2013
^^ ok i didn't know the dsr are in a wood box they will mos def sound better than the dxr & on the zxa5 i payed $2,600 for the pair brand new shipped
Joee 11:49 PM - 25 August, 2013
i just seen this " and you get a built-in limiter. ;-) "

i didn't blow my speaker mannnn.......lol, it was the other guy........lol
DJ GaFFle 11:54 PM - 25 August, 2013
$2600... that's definitely low. I guess the older they get, the more bargains you can find on them. $600 is still pretty substantial savings to some folks.

... and we know, it wasn't you. Guys will remember your thread before they let some Joe jump on their ZXa5's though. I know I will.

:-D

(nm)
Joee 12:03 AM - 26 August, 2013
see there it is again, "Guys will remember your thread before they let some Joe jump on their ZXa5's though" my name is joee...........LMAO
Quote:
$2600... that's definitely low. I guess the older they get, the more bargains you can find on them. $600 is still pretty substantial savings to some folks.

... and we know, it wasn't you. Guys will remember your thread before they let some Joe jump on their ZXa5's though. I know I will.

:-D

(nm)

had the x5's for 5 years, it's not that there getting cheaper, i never pay retail and i will haggle you so much that you get sick of my and give me a better price just to get rid of me
DJ GaFFle 12:12 AM - 26 August, 2013
LoL
djMcClaren 6:51 PM - 26 August, 2013
I'll can find a Guitar Center or go downtown Los Angles and listen to the Yamaha DSR15 or Rtf powered speakers. Thanks DjGaffle.

DjMcClaren