DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is it ok to take photos of other DJs playlists without them saying it's ok?

FirenziM 10:44 AM - 23 August, 2013
Just curious to see what you other guys' take is on other DJs (not your mates) getting their iphones out and taking snapshots of your laptop screen while you're playing. I guess to go through your playlists when they get home, ready for next week...

This happened to anyone else? It happened to me last weekend (the guy playing after me who incidently was standing there behind me 10 minutes before his turn, headphones round his neck. Can't say I was amused but what can you do..?

Do you think it's OK to do this?
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:31 AM - 23 August, 2013
Fuck no
dj_soo 11:54 AM - 23 August, 2013
no. fuck that guy.
DTweed 3:35 PM - 23 August, 2013
Hell no you cant take a picture. At most you might ask me a song or two. I have no problem putting a DJ on to something as I would appreciate the same if there is something I havent heard but there's a difference between a song and a playlist.

He needs to do his homework and that doesnt mean cheating off of your page.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:53 PM - 23 August, 2013
Are you sure he was taking a pic of your screen and not taking a "look how big the crowd im playing for is" booth pic for twitter
Thundercat 4:03 PM - 23 August, 2013
Just ask first please. I will gladly provide a track list of (almost) everything I played if you ask me. And if asked specifically about a promo/exclusive/undercover brother, I may even give that title up too...JUST ASK FIRST
Thundercat 4:05 PM - 23 August, 2013
I guess I could answer the OP's question...NO! Not without asking.
Papa Midnight 4:27 PM - 23 August, 2013
Devil's Advocacy:

How is this any different from standing in the middle of the club with Shazam at the ready (outside of getting the names of specific promos, remixes, blends, transitions, etc.)?
Joshua Carl 4:46 PM - 23 August, 2013
Quote:
Devil's Advocacy:

How is this any different from standing in the middle of the club with Shazam at the ready (outside of getting the names of specific promos, remixes, blends, transitions, etc.)?

my thoughts exactly

although Ive taken pictures of dudes screen over their shoulder when they are using some wack ass software... but thats soley for comedic value.
Tj bligen 3:42 AM - 24 August, 2013
not at all son. I tell cats to give me breathing room
Futuretek 3:11 PM - 25 August, 2013
Not a question.... not cool
Manny C dot com 2:57 AM - 26 August, 2013
Other DJs asking me about one song is fine. Two songs, you're "pushing it". Anything beyond that, and I'm smacking you upside the head, and publicly shaming you on the internet.

i.imgur.com
djvtyme85 7:04 AM - 26 August, 2013
I don't give shit. A DJ could copy my entire library, practice my entire set & it doesn't matter me. No two ppl will ever spin a record alike. What I was doing last week is gonna be different this week. Some guys become their own worst enemy because they find something that works and do the same set over again and again. But to each their own.
The Oldboy 11:46 AM - 26 August, 2013
it's just a bit rude
DJ Remy USA 12:53 PM - 26 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Devil's Advocacy:

my thoughts exactly

although Ive taken pictures of dudes screen over their shoulder when they are using some wack ass software... but thats soley for comedic value.

Yea but at least no one knows and your not invading the DJ booth just to trainspot. Shazaam never knows half the tracks I tagged anyways.
DJ Remy USA 12:55 PM - 26 August, 2013
Quote:
I don't give shit. A DJ could copy my entire library, practice my entire set & it doesn't matter me. No two ppl will ever spin a record alike. What I was doing last week is gonna be different this week. Some guys become their own worst enemy because they find something that works and do the same set over again and again. But to each their own.

You copied my whole set last weekend...lol I saw you wouldnt even share the decks. Soon as I got in rhythm here you go kicking me off...lol

jp
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:10 PM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Devil's Advocacy:

my thoughts exactly

Because they AT LEAST have to wait it out for each song to load, and the chances of Shazam getting it right are 50/50.

Let them take a pic? That's like copying your homework...

True they won't be likely to play it like you, but still...

ASK first...
rigessati 4:51 PM - 27 August, 2013
I manage a number of large venues with GREAT security staff. I imagine if someone took a photo they would be seeing butterflies from our bouncers
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:05 PM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
I manage a number of large venues with GREAT security staff. I imagine if someone took a photo they would be seeing butterflies from our bouncers

Ok, I can understand someone bein' pissed off, but "Taking A Picture" isn't exactly breaking a rule...

Unless you have a "No pictures" rule or something...

It's a moral issue....
rigessati 5:11 PM - 27 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I can understand someone bein' pissed off, but "Taking A Picture" isn't exactly breaking a rule...

Unless you have a "No pictures" rule or something...

It's a moral issue....

Agreed on the moral issue.. what I meant was that it wouldn't be appreciated by our DJs or staff
d:raf 10:59 PM - 27 August, 2013
Unless you pre-arrange your crate every gig or leave your window open on "history" all night, how can anybody get a pic of your playlist anyway? Otherwise they'll just get a pic of your current deck selections and a group of songs you may or may not be playing that night.
Papa Midnight 12:05 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Unless you pre-arrange your crate every gig or leave your window open on "history" all night, how can anybody get a pic of your playlist anyway? Otherwise they'll just get a pic of your current deck selections and a group of songs you may or may not be playing that night.

This is a good point. They would literally need to stand behind you ALL night to get a complete playlist in this manner.
Joshua Carl 12:54 AM - 28 August, 2013
I can hardly get a clear screen shot that's legible of my own screen from 10 inches away.
Good luck to the sniper who can get mine without getting in my personal space
d:raf 2:05 AM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
I can hardly get a clear screen shot that's legible of my own screen from 10 inches away.
Good luck to the sniper who can get mine without getting in my personal space

^ That too... although a Nokia Lumia 1020 might be able to get something useful:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Reflex 2:35 AM - 28 August, 2013
I brought a trainee out with me to a gig last weekend. He spent the whole time "taking notes". A guest asked who he was and HE said he was a DJ inspector - making sure I did everything right. LOL I cracked up and it turns out he was not taking notes on songs anyway. (I ended up giving him a track listing.)

So... where was I going with this???

Oh yeah - Next time some dude shows up in my space and starts snooping around, I might get a bit nervous. I mean, what if there ARE actual DJ inspectors?
DJ VEE 4:31 PM - 5 September, 2013
LOL! "Sir, I'm gonna need to see your proof that the music files you are using was legally obtained..." I can just see it.
DJ Reflex 10:18 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
LOL! "Sir, I'm gonna need to see your proof that the music files you are using was legally obtained..." I can just see it.

"Sir, we're going to have to dust that SYNC button for fingerprints... to see if you actually used it?"
DJ Remy USA 8:12 AM - 6 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

"Sir, we're going to have to dust that SYNC button for fingerprints... to see if you actually used it?"

LMAO
Tj bligen 5:17 PM - 10 September, 2013
Its just out of respect. Looking at a djs playlist is like standing behind me and looking over my shoulder when im using the atm