Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Master out VU meters lower output display

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Mr Wilks 1:05 PM - 20 August, 2013
...they used to hit the top when they was at 0db if I remember rightyly but now they seem lower down (about 1/3) and when you turn up the gain to get them to the top where they was in Itch, the limiter kicks in. What is the scale now?

Also I like how the monitor channels for A/B now don't auto switch on track load. External mixer time!
clearblu 1:25 PM - 20 August, 2013
Autoswitch needs sorting as does a few other things as I'm sure we will all work out :-)
Mr Wilks 1:34 PM - 20 August, 2013
Quote:
Autoswitch needs sorting as does a few other things as I'm sure we will all work out :-)

Do you not like that it doesn't auto-switch now? I was curious as this was a hot request in the Twich/Itch forum a while ago.

This means we can now connect the master to one channel on an external mixer and the booth to another channel, opening up the possibility of using a better quality club mixer.
clearblu 2:28 PM - 20 August, 2013
Autoswitching allows you to quickly monitor your next track when beatmatching and for me its just what I'm used to,clean workflow.I rarely look at the laptop when djing as twitch with Itch was that tight.As for channel outputs I don't need it as I run a rechargable headphone amp so can give any system serious gain whilst having a really clean sound and staying well short of Serato's limiters
Mr Wilks 2:33 PM - 20 August, 2013
It's quicker the old way but now behaves more like a traditional mixer as they don't auto-select. An option in the setup would be good for this as it's not fair to remove a function for people like yourselves that like the old way.

I'm tempted to run this into the DJM800 but not as a boost to the (poor) volume output but to treat it like two separate decks alongside the CDJ's. That's the fun part as it will hang over the mixer on a stand.
clearblu 2:52 PM - 20 August, 2013
I'll be happy if that option is there,I'm not that bothered about having teething problems as its to be accepted really but
The strips need sorting ASAP as ill bet more people will be unhappy with the resolution.My tracks only need a slight touch to bring them bang on and yes I do use sync and nudge them in with the strips I don't consider it cheating as its using the software to your advantage
clearblu 2:56 PM - 20 August, 2013
But when you've spent ages gridmarking tracks knowing that a slight touch will bring the next track perfectly,only to have the feel changed and the way a piece of hardware works is not on.
Also the master out and channel gain graphics need to reflect the gain structure
clearblu 3:10 PM - 20 August, 2013
Autoswitch is no biggie really as keeping the pfl switched on both allows you to listen to the mix pre fade
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:56 PM - 1 September, 2013
Mr Wilks,

The VU meters are a more accurate reflection of the master output level now at the top of the Serato DJ GUI.
Its different, but accurate. I'm not sure if you feel this needs changing or if you are willing to get used to it.
This may be more of a feature request than a bug. If you feel like it should be changed i can move it to the requests forum if you'd like?

Regarding auto switch i'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the change. The software is a lot different and as you guys pointed out, there is bound to be some teething issues.
Hopefully its not too disruptive to your workflow and the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Matt P
Mr Wilks 10:29 PM - 1 September, 2013
I'll check out the Twitches onboard red VU meters tomorrow.

I found that as there was no colour difference or markings on the Twitch, we used the top LED as a guide for zero.

When the Twitch now starts up, the LED segments light about 3/4 of the way up at apposed to their old way of going to the top.

I'll check it out now add the limiter kicks in around the 3/4 mark and not the top now.

I'll have a play tomorrow and report back.
Ian Williams 10:06 AM - 2 September, 2013
I haven't had a chance to fire up my Twitch with the new software yet, but if zero db is a couple of segmants down the meter (rather than at the top), then that seems a lot more sensible to me.

If you want to set all your tracks to zero db & that is indicated by the top led. ......then how do you tell if your over zero db & your signals too hot?
Mr Wilks 11:52 AM - 2 September, 2013
I think as theoretically you can't hit the top as the limiter will kick in way before.

I'll see if I can get the lights past 3/4 to light.
Mr Wilks 8:15 PM - 2 September, 2013
Ahhh. Looking at how they work I find the new way slightly inconsistent with operating.

Now in Serato DJ, the master VU output (both headphone cue buttons off) is tied to the onscreen output in the GUI but nothing else is on the Twitch.

I've found that the input gain isn't tied to the onscreen gain level so when you turn down the input gains the onscreen graphics and input VU meters don't change. This is massive inconsistency now as there is one thing tied to the onscreen GUI, but nothing else.

I understood why the master volume in the software wasn't tied to the master output as this is the volume into the Twitch and not the Twitch's output master but the VU is now reflecting this so it seems like it's all wrong.

Or is it just me?
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:35 AM - 5 September, 2013
Hi Mr Wilks,

I've done a back to back comparison. ITCH and its gain structure is different. As i mentioned before its accurate to the software, and the trim is a little lower to reflect the 0 db gain stage too.

Overall it would be inconsistent to have the trims higher than the newly defined 0db level right?

Is this hindering your performance or more of a feature request?

Matt P
Mr Wilks 12:41 AM - 5 September, 2013
I think it just seemed a little clumsy visually but I understand.

You could say anything to me right now and I'd just say yes as I'm still taking in the shock Serato announcement... I'm a Scratch Live user too.
I'm frantically drinking in all the new SDJ with DVS. Haha!
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:13 AM - 5 September, 2013
Mr Wilks,

Cool, I understand that moving into a new platform is uneasy at first, but i guess I feel more comfortable in DJ after using it so much more than ITCH.
I love the twitch, its always been one of my favourite controllers and i really think its awesome in Serato DJ. Fader FX alone makes it really stand out.

I'm glad you are happy with the announcement!
Its a big move for us. Its assuring to know you are for it, and excited as us.

Matt P
Mr Wilks 9:32 AM - 5 September, 2013
Yes. Only a few day until BPM too. Wow.

Thank you for your help. The Twitch is an amazing controller and I travel with it all over the world die to its massive feature list and small footprint (it's currently with me in Greece). There are a few small things that need ironing out with the upgrade to DJ but they seem pretty minor (as far as functionality goes).

Consider this closed now as I understand a little more about the new gain structure and how it differs to Itch.

Regards
Chris.
Mr Wilks 9:33 AM - 5 September, 2013
**due
Nonnus 11:30 AM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
Fader FX alone makes it really stand out.

what? fader fx does not even work reliably on the twitch!

the little light that used to tell you you were in fx mode and not normal mixer mode is now gone, if you exit fx mode with fader in different position that the mixer fader is it jumps!

how is this really "standing out" ?
seems more like a flaw to me.... and a big one...
Nonnus 11:34 AM - 5 September, 2013
i have also been touring around the world with twitch since it was released, it always behaved as expected while used with itch to the point where i never even cared to look at its integration with competition software as i was happy with the integration and reliability it the combination provided

after trying serato dj, i could not see myself using it with twitch not even at a home gig...
itch for now, until some sdj update comes along that sorts this mess out
Nonnus 11:35 AM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
what? fader fx does not even work reliably on the twitch!

just to make sure i am not misinterpreted, this problem is only when using twitch with sdj, when used with itch it works perfectly and it does indeed make it stand out
clearblu 2:20 PM - 5 September, 2013
Problem with the fx is a simple one and has a simple solution.
If in 3 channel fx after applying fx to the master and switching the effect off the software is not returning to controlling the last deck the fx was assigned to.
On the fx (3 ch) there are two boxes marked 1 and 2,just make sure deck 1 has box 1 in blue and deck 2 is blue in box 2. As when exiting master fx sdj doesn't reasign the fx routing.
Simple for Serato to sort,just an oversight
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:41 PM - 10 September, 2013
Mr Wilks,

Cool man, thank you for the feedback. I'll close this up after i address the remaining comments.

Nonnus,

I understand what you mean.
Sorry to hear that you feel this way. your opinion and clearblu's solution are important to note.
As this is a thread not related to faderfx it deserves its own thread.
I would like to see this in the feature suggestions, or if you feel its a bug, as a help request..

I'm gonna close this up for now.

Matt P