Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

CD Players with SSL

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ_Surreal 6:45 PM - 23 February, 2006
I just bought SSL (haven't set it up or installed yet). I've been a CD DJ my whole life --- using American Audio CD players. They have the "scratch" function but don't really work. I never used the vinyl mode but always stayed in jog mode. I just recently got turntables (Stanton T.60, not the greatest) to use with SSL. I'm having trouble with the cueing --- when I let go of the record there is a slight lag before the sound hits, so my beat timing is a little off. So I guess my question is after I install SSL, do I have to use the turntables? I know you can use SSL with Digital Turntables, like the Pioneer CDJs, but could you use it with this same Pioneer CDJ if it wasn't in vinyl mode i.e. can I use SSL with my lower end American Audio CD players in the jog mode? I'm just so used to cue'ing up in this mode and was wondering if I could continue with this method using SSL. If not, will that cue timing lag problem with my turntables be fixed after I set up the tables with SSL, or is it a problem with the tables themselves (not enough torque or something?) or maybe the needles I'm using? Any comments on these issues would be most appreciated.
djransom 8:49 PM - 23 February, 2006
Are you sure it's not the tables themselves? I asked because I have a pair of Stanton TTs and the start-up torque is pretty weak which causes the record to lag before it begins. That could be a problem. I'm currently using SSL w/ the Pio 800s and I couldn't be more pleased and you can use them while you're not in the vinyl mode. I'm going to grab some Numark TT-200s in about a month or less.
Serato
Josh 4:28 AM - 24 February, 2006
Quote:
can I use SSL with my lower end American Audio CD players in the jog mode?

it depends on what the audio comes out like, if it's a lot of little stutters, then probably not, as Scratch LIVE needs enough control signal at once to get the position in the song.
PZDJ 12:52 AM - 27 February, 2006
What does that mean? Depending on what type of CD players you have, SSL might not work well at all?

I have Denon Dn-D6000 and hardly ever use scratch mode, always in jog mode. Will I be able to use SSL?
Serato
Josh 1:55 AM - 27 February, 2006
I'm not 100% about the functionality of jog mode. I take it you're cueing songs? can you give me an overview of your mixing method using that?

I know there are alot of Denon users getting great results with Scratch LIVE, so if MDX/Supernatural et al are reading this feel free to jump in :)
DJ Unique 3:28 AM - 28 February, 2006
If your CD Player plays tiny bits of audio when you're looking for an exact cue location on your CD, this will confuse SSL.

It will be easier to cue up using the "scratch-mode" on your DN-D6000. Also, after your music is playing and you hit cue on your DN-D6000, you will need to move the platter (re-cue) while it is in "scratch-mode" so the software knows your new location. Kind of the same way you would with real vinyl.
djjune 11:50 PM - 2 March, 2006
I have denon dns-3500 and I can't seem to play audio cd's on them when they are connect to the rane serato.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:07 AM - 3 March, 2006
what mixer are you using?
djjune 1:28 AM - 3 March, 2006
I have a denon x 1500 mixer.
D4Davis 1:38 AM - 3 March, 2006
I'm using the Denon Dn-S3500 cd players, Toshiba laptop, Benringer mixer, but I'm having difficulty with SSL scrolling up and down the playist. I have check all RCA's connections to Channel inputs to outputs 1 & 2 , to proper right and left connections. I can not load the track past the highlight green. Has anybody had this problem?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:32 AM - 3 March, 2006
june from the SSL box make sure you hook up the "THRU" to another channel and use that as the Denon 3500

you can do it this way

x1500 ch 1 (SL Lineout 1) ch 2 (SL THRU 1) ch 3 (SL THRU 2) ch 4 (SL Line 2)
DJ Johnny Cuz 5:23 AM - 30 July, 2006
how come the effects on the denon 6000 don't work with SSL?
kurtcurt 9:39 AM - 31 July, 2006
does anyone know ifi can use Pioneer cdj100 with ssl
skinnyguy 6:28 PM - 31 July, 2006
yes. will it skratch? that depends if your cd player can skratch (from which i understand the cdj100 can't).
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:07 PM - 31 July, 2006
DJ Johnny Cuz and kurtcurt,

Please post your questions in a seperate thread so we can keep the current discussion organized and on track. Thanks:)