DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What to say on the mic?

AlphaZebra 3:09 AM - 6 August, 2013
Hey guys...

I need your help! Im french and I moved to the states...
I have a fews gigs to do in nyc and I have no idea what to say on the mic!
Last lear it ruinned my life in my first dj residency here because I was so afraid to talk on the mic but i see in the us all djs talks!
I try to go in clubs to hear what djs say here but I could not understand it all and even this I don't really like what they say here in my city...
Im also really shy so it doesn't make things easy but I need to do it!

Anyone could please help me with a few sentences?
DJMark 3:14 AM - 6 August, 2013
"Last call at the bar".

That's about all you need...

...well since you're French, maybe try "Hello fucking stupid Americans" in your thickest French accent and see how that goes over.
AlphaZebra 3:32 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
"Last call at the bar".

...well since you're French, maybe try "Hello fucking stupid Americans" in your thickest French accent and see how that goes over.

Yeah right lol! I think if I say that Im gon write you from the hospital ;)
Im gon get a bottle over my head or something hahaha
gian13 2:02 PM - 6 August, 2013
it's not about what you say, it's all about the tone and hype on your voice
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:19 PM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
"Last call at the bar".

You beat me to it
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:31 PM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
I have a fews gigs to do in nyc and I have no idea what to say on the mic!

NYC - easy - Just do what this guy does - Watchwww.youtube.com - throw all your beatmix and Dj skills out the window and get used to playing 15 seconds of a song...

Done...
Dj R. Driver 5:01 AM - 7 August, 2013
ive said "the dj does not take request (after 2 of course) unless you bring him a shot. like 45 min b4 last call. man this works
O.B.1 5:34 AM - 7 August, 2013
watch this and take notes:
Watchwww.youtube.com
skinnyguy 6:27 AM - 7 August, 2013
Quote:

"The turtles ate my popcorn."
skinnyguy 6:28 AM - 7 August, 2013
Or listen to some fatman scoop.
Dj R. Driver 6:54 AM - 7 August, 2013
find a fine ass chick and tell her you are going to give her a shout out. men instantly want to see her and if u can, point her out. say its her b-day or something or some other bs. then drop your banger set. remember; this should only be done at peak time and reserved solely for the headliner; respectfully. better yet, find a flock of hot or at least 35% of them generally hot, would also work. why u must ask? you created a more less obtrusive form of djn called "slamming" tracks [refer to pdiddy thread 'kid capri kicking ass and taking names"] to get the jist. why is this important? cause you aint kid capri fool! and not from NY. no dis to them ny or east coast head, but not EVERYTHING conceived from the apple is a trendsetter. remember "its not where your at but its where your from"?
the_black_one 7:32 AM - 7 August, 2013
Scream nonsense on the mic and hit play on your iPod..... Scream again cut the music off and ask people if they remember this song. Hit play on your other iPod!!!! Do that all night and your golden

NM NH
eugguy 1:43 PM - 7 August, 2013
Whatever you do, make sure you get really drunk first. This way you forget everything. Make sure you yell everything really loud, especially in NYC.
Chrisjin 2:52 PM - 7 August, 2013
say "that black honda or acura is about to get towed"
DJ Benny B NYC 3:51 PM - 7 August, 2013
Quote:
but i see in the us all djs talks [on the mic]!

this is not true in NYC. just at hip-hop-only clubs does this happen...

open format clubs in nyc like darby, 1 oak, SL, , finale, southside, dont have that much mic work, probably none. these are some of the best spots in the city. Also, house spots like provocateur, lavo, marquee, boom boom room, le bain etc... dont have the djs talking on the mic...

where are you djing? id be surprised if not talking on the mic would be a problem if your djing is tight..
DJ Dynamight 7:31 PM - 7 August, 2013
I hear some guys say "the more you drink, the better I sound"

See if that works for you...
Ulrich von Hurtem 7:54 PM - 7 August, 2013
Nothing. If there's any talking to be done, I bring an MC.
DJ Matty Stiles 3:33 AM - 8 August, 2013
Benny B is right. It really depends on the context of where you're playing.

What type of cub is it? What's the music policy? Are other DJs using the mic?

There may be no need. It may just be that type of club. On the other hand if you're at one of those hip hop clubs with Hot 97 style mixing you better get your mic game tight!
MISTER RIPPER 3:41 PM - 14 August, 2013
Quote:

+1