DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ikea Home DJ Setup

2Seven 10:22 AM - 3 August, 2013
I keep getting asked about my setup so I thought I'd just start a new thread for it with all details. I'm 6'2" so the following setup is a perfect height for me.

Inspiration from here: Watchwww.youtube.com
Google SketchUp plans: flic.kr
Before: flic.kr
After: flic.kr

Products from the floor up:
EXPEDIT shelf unit on its side: www.ikea.com
8 x 11cm CAPITA Legs: www.ikea.com
VIKA AMON table top (since been discontinued: 120cm x 60cm)
4 x 21cm CAPITA Legs www.ikea.com
LACK Wall Shelf www.ikea.com

SIDE NOTE: The CAPITA legs can be attached at both ends by using pictures 3 and 4 here: www.ikeahackers.net

The VIKA AMON table top has an overhang at the back to allow me to have my turntables battle style. I also have an ecler 2.0 which is obviously a lot narrower than your standard mixer so bear that in mind if you're planning on using these plans. The overhang has allowed perfect placement of my floor standing speakers which wasn't by design, but space is an absolute prime here but it looks good from the front so f*** it. It also leaves a nice hidden section where all my cables etc is nicely hidden away.

Any questions, just ask, I can send side view photos and can also email the Google SketchUp file if needs be.

Peace.
pvk 12:48 PM - 3 August, 2013
nice
Mahoney McGee 7:33 PM - 3 August, 2013
Instead of the discontinued Vika Amon table top, You could use the Linnmon table top.

Linnmon table top 150 x 75 cm www.ikea.com

This is quite wide, but you could just cut it to fit the size that suits you. Another thíng is that it's more or less the same lenght as the Expedit 4 x 2 shelf unit on its side.
2Seven 8:07 PM - 3 August, 2013
@Mahoney McGee - good shout! The beauty of what I did was that it was all assembled, no cutting etc. I was at Ikea at opening @10am and spinning in the afternoon!
djsmuve415 11:12 PM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:
Inspiration from here: Watchwww.youtube.com

why can't this guy be my neighbor?
2Seven 1:36 PM - 5 August, 2013
Something to bear in mind also - I added an extra set of CAPITA legs as the table top was sagging under the weight of the turntables. You can ever so slightly see sagging in the picture below (nh nm).
Before: www.flickr.com
After: www.flickr.com
lunizus 2:33 AM - 24 April, 2014
actually thats what got me going lol. I can't wait!!!!
DJ Jonasty 4:51 AM - 24 April, 2014
I did the ikea thing and then eventually just gave it to my kids. It started sagging and I've only got cdjs on it. Cheap junk
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:14 AM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
I did the ikea thing and then eventually just gave it to my kids. It started sagging and I've only got cdjs on it. Cheap junk

Sagging? I have TT's & mixer in coffin on it and there is no sagging.
2Seven 5:17 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Sagging? I have TT's & mixer in coffin on it and there is no sagging.

I had my VIKA AMON sag a little so added a few more CAPITA legs for added support. (see the two pictures in my most recent post above). I'm interested as to what particular part of yours started sagging?
MacTheBadAzz 7:02 PM - 24 April, 2014
Are you using 2 EXPEDIT shelf unit's or 1? I own one of those and I dont remember them going that deep.
2Seven 6:43 PM - 25 April, 2014
I'm using just one 2x4 EXPEDIT. The VIKA AMON table top overhangs at the back. Have a look at the Google Sketch Up images at the top for details.
DJ JT Stevens 11:31 PM - 16 July, 2014
How do the Capita legs attach to the table top boards? Did you just drill them in?

That Ikea hacker page mentioned that you can use double sided tape but I don't know if I trust that. Seems like it wouldn't be stable enough.
dj_soo 6:05 AM - 17 July, 2014
It's too bad Ikea discontinued the Jerker desk. imo it was perfect for DJing/production out there.

Wish I had bought a few more of the winged platforms before they discontinued it....

farm3.static.flickr.com
Chris Deluxe 9:10 AM - 17 July, 2014
Still loving my Ikea bar table, perfect hight, and you could use one side for TT's, and the other side for production if you don't want 2 setups.

www.facebook.com
2Seven 5:30 PM - 17 July, 2014
@DJ JT Stevens - In the original post…it can be screwed together

Quote:
SIDE NOTE: The CAPITA legs can be attached at both ends by using pictures 3 and 4 here: www.ikeahackers.net
DJ JT Stevens 5:40 PM - 17 July, 2014
Looks like I have a project for this weekend. Thanks for posting all the info.
2Seven 5:45 PM - 17 July, 2014
No worries my man. Post pictures when you're done!!!
lunizus 2:25 AM - 19 July, 2014
This is my final Product:

i27.photobucket.com

I wanted to keep it current with what I was using it for.
dj_soo 7:53 AM - 20 July, 2014
that seems like a lot of sub for those two tops
popnwave 3:46 PM - 20 July, 2014
Quote:

+1 HOLY CRAP hahaha you're right.
sumoJr 4:31 PM - 20 July, 2014
Quote:

dj boooom
lunizus 9:21 AM - 21 July, 2014
Thats just where I park it lol. I use it with 2 515 XT
DJ JT Stevens 7:54 PM - 23 July, 2014
So I haven't had a chance to attach the shelves to the Expedit yet, and unfortunately it'll most likely have to wait until my girl and I move into our new house. But I wanted to post something here while it was on my mind since it's related. I first heard about this a few months ago but didn't get a chance to post about it here back then, and a search didn't turn anything up.

Have any of you heard that Ikea is discontinuing the Expedit and replacing it with the Kallax line? Apparently the Kallax line is nearly identical except for the corners being slightly curved (I can't tell from the pictures) and the sides being a little thinner, which reportedly is an effort to be more green and use less lumber. However, according to Ikea, the Kallax units are supposed to be sturdier despite the thinner sides.

www.apartmenttherapy.com
www.core77.com
www.ikea.com

Have any of you used the Kallax for vinyl storage or as part of your home DJ rig? If so, what do you think? I was hoping to purchase a few more Expedit units before they were discontinued but I'll gladly try out the Kallax if they seem sturdy enough.
popnwave 8:03 PM - 23 July, 2014
Greener? Jeeze it's literally honeycomb patterned cardboard with a little laminate on both sides, how much cheaper/greener can they make the stuff??
d:raf 8:31 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Greener? Jeeze it's literally honeycomb patterned cardboard with a little laminate on both sides, how much cheaper/greener can they make the stuff??

Every little bit helps... gizmodo.com

I bought a couple of Kallax shelves and I have an Expedit as well. They both work identically for vinyl.
DJ JT Stevens 8:46 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Every little bit helps... gizmodo.com

Interesting tidbit, and proof that 1% of an enormously large number is still a pretty large number.

Quote:
I bought a couple of Kallax shelves and I have an Expedit as well. They both work identically for vinyl.

Thanks for chiming in d:raf. Do you have any turntables or monitors directly on top of the Kallax unit, or on shelves that you've attached to it? If so, does the Kallax/your equipment seem stable?
d:raf 8:58 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for chiming in d:raf. Do you have any turntables or monitors directly on top of the Kallax unit, or on shelves that you've attached to it? If so, does the Kallax/your equipment seem stable?

My Expedit has an attachable table that connects to it that has all the equipment on it. The top of both the Kallax and Expedit shelves have other various odds and ends on them (like my cassette shelves, older equipment, etc.). It's all very stable, especially with the records holding the shelf in place (just make sure when you build it that the longer shelf pieces are oriented horizontally)

On the table (whose spiffy Ikea name I don't know 'cause I got it 2nd hand from a friend) I have:

2 Numark V7's (16.5 lbs each)
1 Numark TTX1 (about 27 lbs)
1 Allen & Heath Xone 62 (11 lbs)
1 Allen & Heath Xone:DX (sometimes, depending on what I'm trying to do in there.)
Laptop stand(s), other accessories (negligable weight)
DJ JT Stevens 9:18 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
My Expedit has an attachable table that connects to it that has all the equipment on it. The top of both the Kallax and Expedit shelves have other various odds and ends on them (like my cassette shelves, older equipment, etc.). It's all very stable, especially with the records holding the shelf in place (just make sure when you build it that the longer shelf pieces are oriented horizontally)

On the table (whose spiffy Ikea name I don't know 'cause I got it 2nd hand from a friend) I have:

2 Numark V7's (16.5 lbs each)
1 Numark TTX1 (about 27 lbs)
1 Allen & Heath Xone 62 (11 lbs)
1 Allen & Heath Xone:DX (sometimes, depending on what I'm trying to do in there.)
Laptop stand(s), other accessories (negligable weight)

Thanks for the breakdown, much appreciated. Looks like I can safely go the Kallax route in the future if need be.

I'll finish up my Expedit station after the move and post some pics of the final product.
Lanif 3:11 AM - 31 July, 2014
Love my ikea setup!

imgur.com

I'm still looking for a good solution for my top shelf, right now it sits on books.
It's a shame that ikea is stopping the Expedit production.
2Seven 3:36 AM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Love my ikea setup!

imgur.com

I'm still looking for a good solution for my top shelf, right now it sits on books.
It's a shame that ikea is stopping the Expedit production.

Check out the CAPITA legs, they are height adjustable and available in a couple of different lengths.

EXPEDIT being discontinued doesn't really make a difference as the new KALLAX is exactly the same!
2Seven 3:37 AM - 31 July, 2014
KALLAX: www.ikea.com
Magebarf 11:58 PM - 15 January, 2015
2Seven, I've got a question about the Capita legs;

Due to the cardboard design, I believe a safer bet to get a more even/solid mounting of them would be to mount them through the expedit/kallax, and using a washer and a bolt on the other side to expand the surface area it's fastened against...

The link you're pointing to is just showing to fasten using a screw, which I guess theoretically would work as only pressure should be from the top, but I still guess that a hard hit from the side could swipe those screws from the Expedit/Kallax...

So, what I'm wondering is; is the black piece of plastic hollow in the center, or is it solid?

I'd guess that it should work fine to just drill through the center of the plastic piece and bolt through it and the expedit, to ensure its really put in place, but since I don't have a set of capita legs to pull apart yet, I'm just guessing here...
2Seven 4:58 PM - 18 January, 2015
Quote:
So, what I'm wondering is; is the black piece of plastic hollow in the center, or is it solid?

I can't remember if they are hollow or solid, sorry Magebarf. With the weight of the tables and mixer, and the small screws I used to screw the base of the CAPITA legs down with, there is no movement at all. I wouldn't worry about it budging if it got knocked from the side. I suppose it depends where you intend on using your setup.
MVPDJs 1:46 AM - 20 July, 2015
Anyone ever use the below desk for turntables? I wanted to put my turntables on this and use my desktop computer when I needed since it has the keyboard tray and the monitor space on top. Only question is when I scratch is the table going to be sturdy?!

www.amazon.com
dj_ys 3:15 AM - 20 July, 2015
Quote:
Anyone ever use the below desk for turntables? I wanted to put my turntables on this and use my desktop computer when I needed since it has the keyboard tray and the monitor space on top. Only question is when I scratch is the table going to be sturdy?!

www.amazon.com

Probably better off building something with a strong pull out drawer. Also, it'll allow you to pick the proper height.
eugguy 3:52 AM - 20 July, 2015
Gladiator workbench. I'm using this. Adjustable height. Solid maple or bamboo. 4,6 or 8ft sizes. Looks gorgeous. Oh, and 3,000 pound capacity. Better than any cheapo ikea desk anyday.
2Seven 8:48 PM - 16 May, 2018
New city in a new country on a new continent along with new turntables clearly means a new setup, right?

Slightly modified design due to discontinued/different parts available in the UK compared to the US?!

Click ---> flic.kr