Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

vci-400 noise

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-400
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
maxj 1:25 PM - 31 July, 2013
hi,

My computer specifications :

MACBOOK PRO 15-
Processor: 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo
Memory: 8 gb
Hard disk: 7200 300 gb
Software latency serato dj:512
No USB drop out

This is the full detail of the problems I am having, since they seem to be the same, so you may wish to merge the threads

I can't seem to make this problem go away, despite lots of reboots and multiple firmware upgrades to the VCI400.

There are two aspects to the problem

1 - external input develops a constant cyclic clicking - tick, tick, tick in the main outputs and the PFL outputs. This disappears when the front switch is set to four decks (ie no external input). It does not matter what (if anything) is connected to the input and this is clearly a digital clicking. Serato is creating these clicks as if you quit Serato and use the unit as a standalone mixer they go away immediately.

2 - the digital decks develop occasional clicks which sound like vinyl clicks, making them harder to spot initially, but if you jog over a quieter section of a track they can be heard, but never in the same spot, so they are not related to the track itself.

Both these issues are usually cured by restarting Serato, then both problems will gradually come back - sometimes within a few minutes.

I have tried older and new firmware, and have installed all the latest firmware from the Vestax site, removed, installed it again. Still no improvement.

please help,it's no possible work whit this problem.

thank's.

Purple Juno 5:40 PM - 31 July, 2013
same problem, if change front triggers "Mode" into middle position - clicks louder, in 4 decks position (right or left) - clicks quite, but its here...
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:34 PM - 21 August, 2013
Hey Maxj,

Thanks for getting in touch,

I apologise it has taken us this long to respond this is not usually the cause.
Things are very busy at the moment, we really do appreciate your patience :)

Also thanks for the detailed information its very helpful.

I do remember us talking about this in another thread, at it seems the firmware update process may have been corrupt causing this issue.

1. Have you managed to get hold of Vestax regarding this?
2. Do you have another computer you can test with to see if the problem still happens?

Quote:
1 - external input develops a constant cyclic clicking - tick, tick, tick in the main outputs and the PFL outputs. This disappears when the front switch is set to four decks (ie no external input). It does not matter what (if anything) is connected to the input and this is clearly a digital clicking. Serato is creating these clicks as if you quit Serato and use the unit as a standalone mixer they go away immediately.

So external inputs cause clicking sounds only when Serato DJ is open but the channels are set to THRU mode?

When you use the mixer in stand alone mode without any USB connected to your computer things work perfectly fine?

Mr Ed 1:57 PM - 3 September, 2013
Exact same issue here.

Macbook Pro 15" Retina

As soon as 'thru' is selected, popping/click sound starts....
Mr Ed 1:57 PM - 3 September, 2013
Quote:
When you use the mixer in stand alone mode without any USB connected to your computer things work perfectly fine?

Yes
Mr Ed 12:59 AM - 7 September, 2013
Any update to this issue?

As it stands my VCI 400 cannot be used in stand alone mode unless it's not connected to the computer or Serato is shutdown (pretty useless if you want to mix a vinyl record with something in the Serato library..!)

Who's issue is this - Serato's or Vestax's? Is my controller faulty? Can I return it for a refund?
FabulousFrequencies 4:38 PM - 7 September, 2013
If you select 'thru' and then unplug the AUX equipment after the noise starts, does the noise persist?
Mr Ed 11:00 PM - 7 September, 2013
The noise is there even with no external equipment connected to the controller other than speakers (also tried with just headphones).

It seems to be specific to my computer. I tested with another MacBook and it was fine. I have tried deleting all preference files and a reinstall of Serato, I've even tried rolling back to previous versions (of Serato) but it's exactly the same.

Anyone else using a 15" MacBook Pro Retina? Wonder if Serato/Vestax have tested with this setup..?
FabulousFrequencies 11:14 PM - 7 September, 2013
Possible ground plane issue. A faulty notebook power supply has caused this, and a missing ground prong from the power adapter. Unplug the power adapter and just use the battery, issue still there?
Mr Ed 11:15 PM - 7 September, 2013
Yep, issue still there just running off battery
Mr Ed 11:17 PM - 7 September, 2013
By the way, it only does it when Serato DJ is running. If I close the program, the problem stops.
FabulousFrequencies 11:25 PM - 7 September, 2013
Because the program initializes the sound card in the VCI, even if it's switched to thru mode. You might have some caps on the way out in your laptops on board switching supply for the USB bus. Even if you're not using the USB for power, the switching noise ends up riding the ground jacket out. I was never quite thrilled with Vestax noise isolation in this area. To be fair to them, your PC should be in good standing any way. How old is the laptop? And please don't jump any guns on my statements, it's all educated speculation right now :)
Mr Ed 11:31 PM - 7 September, 2013
It's only 6 months old!

(Appreciate your assistance and responses here by the way!)

I'd love to know if anyone else is using a Retina MBP...
Mr Ed 11:22 AM - 16 September, 2013
Ok so I'm now getting the same issue on a different computer (13" Macbook Pro).

This is driving me nuts. Help!!
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:03 PM - 16 September, 2013
Hi Mr Ed.

can you try this:
disable "Put the hard disc to sleep when possible" in the energy saving panel of your system preferences

Does that relolve your issue?

Cheers

Karl Y
Mr Ed 12:07 PM - 16 September, 2013
Nope, exactly the same..
Mr Ed 12:12 PM - 16 September, 2013
By the way, I did a quick video for the tech at Vestax to get the idea of the fault.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Right at the end you will hear the issue - an audible electrical popping sound.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:12 PM - 16 September, 2013
Hi Mr. Ed,

ok. Thanks for checking.

Does it happen when you don't connect the power supply to your Laptop?
Mr Ed 12:15 PM - 16 September, 2013
yep, happens with no power to laptop, and also with no external sources connected to the VCI 400. It is Serato DJ which makes it happen (but funnily enough only after I've loaded a track or two)...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:16 PM - 16 September, 2013
Thanks for the video, very clear.

That sounds like when both outer rings of an RCA are not connected properly. can you try to replace the cables?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:21 PM - 16 September, 2013
Oops, sorry, you replied in the meantime.

If this is the case:
Quote:
It is Serato DJ which makes it happen (but funnily enough only after I've loaded a track or two

can you try with Serato DJ Intro? Does the same thing happen?
Mr Ed 12:27 PM - 16 September, 2013
No, doesn't do it in Serato DJ Intro, but obviously that's only 2 decks...
FabulousFrequencies 4:45 PM - 16 September, 2013
I *know* that sound from *somewhere*. But until I can recall, i'm at a brick wall. I'm really sorry my memory has failed ya on this one. I know i'veheard it once before working on something here and it completely escapes me ATM. I'm gonna step back and let Karl take it from here.
Mr Ed 1:14 AM - 17 September, 2013
It sounds to me like it's arcing...
Mr Ed 1:01 PM - 17 September, 2013
Update: I've just done a clean reinstall of Mountain Lion, as I wanted to see whether it was caused by something else running on my machine. So I now have nothing other than a fresh install of OSX and Serato DJ, and guess what, it still does exactly the same thing. Is this a controller hardware fault?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:42 PM - 18 September, 2013
Hi Mr Ed,

to avoid any doubt, if you have the option, i would suggest you try to test with another VCI 400 (Serato DJ edition) at the closest store, if thats possible.

One more thing you could try is, what happens when you set the switches at the back to the other position (The inputs can be set to send straight to master or send to the individual channels 3 and 4.)
Does that make a difference?

Cheers

Karl Y
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:45 PM - 18 September, 2013
Quote:
That sounds like when both outer rings of an RCA are not connected properly. can you try to replace the cables?

I forgot to ask, is there anything plugged in actually, when this happens, or does it not make a difference if you completely unplug your device from external sources ?

Is it audible in the headphones when you set them to master?
Mr Ed 5:42 AM - 19 September, 2013
Hi Karl. The deck 3/4 switches at the back make no difference. Also, it makes no difference whether anything at all is plugged into the unit - and yes the sound comes out of the headphones too.

Surely if I'm to try another unit in the shop it needs to be the non DJ version (i.e not the silver one), as this will already have the firmware installed etc. What I am trying to verify is whether the regular black version (which I specifically chose to give me options in case I want to move away from Serato) works with the user updated firmware.
Mr Ed 6:43 AM - 19 September, 2013
Also, if I roll back to the previous firmware (d006 & 1.15) and try with Traktor, all is good, I can use decks c & d with external inputs without any audio hiccups.

I has to be something Serato DJ is doing when it initialises the sound card.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 5:18 PM - 23 September, 2013
Hi Mr Ed.

have you been able to test this at a store yet?

Cheers
Karl Y
BennyL 2:01 PM - 11 October, 2013
My VCI 400 does exactly the same thing, for now I can't use Serato DJ at gigs, the clicking happens every time. I use a 2010 macbook pro and the VCI 400 black version
Mr Ed 9:20 PM - 11 October, 2013
My solution - I switched to Traktor- works fine now.

It's quite clearly a Serato issue, but I wasn't getting anywhere with a fix. They seem to think its hardware related, but I don't see how it could be if everything works as planned without SeratoDJ running.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:10 AM - 14 October, 2013
Hi all,

can you please try with Serato DJ 1.5?

Also for those of you that use a mac, could you try this for testing purposes?

serato.com

It would be interesting for us to see if you get the same popping noises then as well.

Cheers
Karl Y
Mr Ed 11:27 AM - 14 October, 2013
Tried it. Exactly the same.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:06 PM - 14 October, 2013
Hi Mr. Ed

did you try this part as well?

Quote:

serato.com
maxj 4:53 PM - 15 October, 2013
hi,
I installed traktor and the controller vci 400 lavore well, I opened Serato DJ and to my
surprise the controller and the software work well without a click, I tried to uninstall and re-open Serato traktor dj and the problem and 'reappeared for the second time I reinstalled traktor and reopened Serato dJ and the controller and the software work well without a click ..
It's not 'possible to use Serato traktor dj I also have to leave installed, the problem in my opinion are the drivers for Serato DJ and Serato DJ software that do not communicate properly.

In order to work with Serato dj1.5 leave the two software installed, I hope we can solve the most 'soon this issue, and' a bit 'of time and' present and yet not 'been resolved.

Thank you.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:37 AM - 25 October, 2013
Hi maxj

i am not sure why this should have an impact on our software, but i can only assume that its some sort of driver, like you said.

Does it work for you this way always though?

Cheers
Karl Y
maxj 9:29 AM - 25 October, 2013
Hi Karl Y,

function well and if I remove the mac traktor me laugh 'the same problem, and' very strange but it works, I also tried to reset everything and forgive driver vci 400 for Serato DJ, but continues to give me the same problems, works fine (no noise in both modes' mixer mode '4-deck Serato) and only if' installed traktor.

cheers
Maxj
darkpsyde 12:34 AM - 28 October, 2013
I don't think they are ever going to get this popping thing fixed. We all know the VCI 400 works fine with Traktor, but play through DJ and you will get popping noises. Unfortunately it has been happening since DJ came out, and I doubt it will ever get fixed. Last night it was soo bad the VU meters were showing the pop. Vestax probably needs to work out a new firmware to get this to work, but with Seratos partnering with Pioneer and Rane, I don't think their Vestax options are a priority. I can't say that I blame them since the Vestax is open format so you don't have to be locked in to DJ, but it would be nice. I love playing on DJ, but as soon as I have to kill the music at gigs, the pops show up, and my thousands worth of gear are reduced to sounding cheap.
darkpsyde 12:01 PM - 28 October, 2013
Just so you know, this issue has been going on since March. 6 months, no fix, and not a whole lot of attention by Serato. Wonder if I make a webpage specifically for this issue, and start spamming the crap out of the internets Serato will do something. I doubt it, they probably still won't care enough to go to Vestax and work out this issue.
maxj 7:50 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
Just so you know, this issue has been going on since March. 6 months, no fix, and not a whole lot of attention by Serato. Wonder if I make a webpage specifically for this issue, and start spamming the crap out of the internets Serato will do something. I doubt it, they probably still won't care enough to go to Vestax and work out this issue.
darkpsyde 11:20 PM - 28 October, 2013
notice another day gone by.. and no answer. They must have one person working the entire Serato Dj help, or they are only allowed to answer a Vestax related issue once a month.. So frustrating, I wish I could just get my money back, but I know that won't happen. I really wish they would actually fix it, but at the rate we are going, I seriously doubt that will ever happen. Another question, does the Serato DJ edition of the VCI 400 suffer the same issue? If not, why can't serato just provide us with the firmware used for that version of the controller???
Mr Ed 11:43 PM - 28 October, 2013
Good question. Anyone tried with the silver VCI-400?
darkpsyde 11:50 PM - 28 October, 2013
I would imagine Serato actually had better control of the process on these, perhaps they won't give it away, just like DJTT charges $50 for their firmware update.
Mr Ed 11:54 PM - 28 October, 2013
But the whole point (and the attraction) of the black unit is that it's supposed to be compatible with multiple platforms, Serato DJ being one of them. So far this is the only one which doesn't work as advertised.
darkpsyde 12:04 AM - 29 October, 2013
I know man, it's crazy. I think the have realized that the people who want dj will pay for the silver one, I guess. I am beyond trying to logically figure this out, but damn if I don't hate the fact that they got me for $120 on something that doesnt work right.
darkpsyde 12:29 PM - 29 October, 2013
Well I have started an active campaign to spam the crap out of their fbook pages until someone does something, let's see if the two departments communicate.
Ragman 12:10 AM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:
notice another day gone by.. and no answer. They must have one person working the entire Serato Dj help, or they are only allowed to answer a Vestax related issue once a month.. So frustrating, I wish I could just get my money back, but I know that won't happen. I really wish they would actually fix it, but at the rate we are going, I seriously doubt that will ever happen. Another question, does the Serato DJ edition of the VCI 400 suffer the same issue? If not, why can't serato just provide us with the firmware used for that version of the controller???

I think the hardware companies make the firmware and firmware updates, not Serato. By the way have anyone having this problem tried SDJ 1.5.1 ???
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:48 AM - 30 October, 2013
Hey maxj,

Quote:
function well and if I remove the mac traktor me laugh 'the same problem, and' very strange but it works, I also tried to reset everything and forgive driver vci 400 for Serato DJ, but continues to give me the same problems, works fine (no noise in both modes' mixer mode '4-deck Serato) and only if' installed traktor.

I don't see how installing another software would have an impact on our product, but if that is really true, it would probably be some sort of driver conflict or .kext that is installed alongside it and thus has an influence on the overall system.

We are investigating the issue, but for the time being, i thought i share any possible workarounds with you:

One more thing to try - does it make any difference if you decrease the screen updates?
In Serato DJ, open the Setup screen,
navigate to the Display tab
move the slider for "maximum screen updates" a bit more to the left.
restart Serato DJ

It may sound weird but we have gotten reports from users where doing so helped them resolve popping noises.

Also, has anyone of you tried this yet:
Quote:

serato.com

It would be interesting for us to see if you get the same popping noises then as well.

Thanks
Karl Y
maxj 9:04 AM - 30 October, 2013
hi Karl Y

I try to do, I answer you later,instead of testing the second proposal, not any benefit, 'cause it feels just popping open the software, when you load a song on the deck starts to feel the popping.
maxj 9:04 AM - 30 October, 2013
hi Karl Y

I try to do, I answer you later,instead of testing the second proposal, not any benefit, 'cause it feels just popping open the software, when you load a song on the deck starts to feel the popping.
darkpsyde 1:42 PM - 30 October, 2013
So has the VCI 400 DJ version have this popping? If not, what was different? And how can we get our hands on it?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 11:16 AM - 4 November, 2013
Hey all, i have good news.

Like i said, we are investigating the issue,
and we are finally able to reproduce it.
So hopefully we can now find a fix as well, due for the next release of Serato DJ if all goes well

:-)

Thanks for all the patience and reports.

Karl Y
darkpsyde 10:30 PM - 6 November, 2013
finally.. hopefully it is sorted, only took 7 months to finally get it reproduced in house.. but hopefully we hear something before I get a message back from Sales.. requested my refund, but apparently they move as slow as the support team does.
maxj 11:03 PM - 6 November, 2013
I karl Y

I hope I will solve this problem soon, I wait for the upgrade.
Thank's

Maxj.
Grafta 2:49 AM - 19 November, 2013
Still clicking away with 1.5.2 :/

Any update Karl Y?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 11:11 AM - 21 November, 2013
Hi all,

unfortunately this bug has not been fixed in Serato DJ 1.5.2.

It has been confirmed to be an issue, which we want to fix with a future version.

Cheers

Karl Y
8:04 AM, 6 Dec 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.