Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Itch vs Serato DJ /DDJ SX vs NS6

DjCity 3:18 PM - 28 July, 2013
I have the Numark NS6. I love it's performance. I love how it sounds. I love is work flow. The NS6 is an amazing machine coupled with itch.

I tried my NS6 on Serato DJ and was totally disappointed.
The work flow is not functional and it sounds bad, distorted and overdriven.

I also have a Pioneer DDJ SX. It's work flow is not as well laid out as the NS6. The pitch fader (left deck) is too close to the platter, the strip search is too close to the platter and the fx's and the pads are very sensitive. It's too easy to accidently trigger something. (Wish they were above the platter instead of beneath).
I wish there were dedicated cue triggers instead of the multifunction triggers. It's easy to forget that you are in slicer or sample when you want to hit or set a cue point.

Sound:
Numark NS6 sounds great with itch but it sounds bad with Serato DJ.
Is louder than itch but it's distorted sounding and overdriven.

The Pioneer DDJ SX sounds completely different on Serato DJ than the NS6 does.
The DDJ SX sounds good. It's crisp, clean and sharp. The DDJ SX does not sound overdriven at all. No distorted signals.

The Numark with Itch is a winner. The Numark with Serato DJ does not work well and sounds bad. It sounds loud but bad.

The Pioneer DDJ SX is close to being great except for the things I mentioned.
Serato DJ is the only option for the Pioneer.

These are my findings and my opinions.
Feel free to add your own findings and opinions.
A-rod 12:50 PM - 14 September, 2013
Good review. I was wondering what version of SDJ you have running? I have an NS6 as well and just downloaded SDJ version 1.3, the latest, and it seems to be running ok except for one really annoying thing. The jog wheels seem to lose their action half the time, in other words when cuing using the jog like you would a TT or cdj, the wheel wont respond properly. Reload the track and it works ok so it's kind of a pain in the A*S. I have only had it for a few days so I haven't tried it live yet and so far don't notice and sound issues.

Also, the pioneer SX has the 8 pads per side which looks killer... I have an Akai mini with two banks of 8 pads that I would like to midi map along side the NS6 for a similar function however the NS6 already has nice loop and cue buttons built in that work great. How would you suggest I map the Akai pads in your opinion? Can "slice" be midi mapped or is that something Pioneer has strictly for their unit? I'll mess with it today and see what I can add. Thx!