DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Lagging behind.... but still around.

MusicMeister 9:27 PM - 18 July, 2013
Ok, after all the crap I got from other people for even looking at Itch (it came with the Vestax Typhoon I picked up cheap on eBay - which I cleaned up and resold for a profit), I just picked up an SL1 on the cheap to see what Serato is doing now before I consider dropping any more $$$.

After 6 years with Torq and now using Cross (mainly for video) and Traktor Scratch Pro, I figured I might as well see how much has changed on Serato since Julian moved to Germany a few years ago. :)

It's an old interface, but I got a good deal (not as good a deal as the $150 A10 I picked up of course), and figured if I don't care for it I can always sell it off and maybe make a dollar or two in the process.

Hope all is well with the people who are still here after all these years... :)

Side note: I have to admit it's disappointing to watch a product I used for year stagnate and decline horribly under InMusic's ownership... although I'm not really surprised after what they did with the MixMeister lineup. Although I've been pleasantly surprised at the feature set and usability of both Cross and Traktor here of late so I'm interested to see how Serato stacks up for 'general' use at private events and how well midi is supported now.
 6 11:06 PM - 18 July, 2013
Welcome back MM

nm
DJ GaFFle 1:27 AM - 19 July, 2013
Yeah dude... long time no see.
DJ Remy USA 6:35 AM - 19 July, 2013
Torq....that thing is dead. Thats why Im here
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:58 PM - 19 July, 2013
A MUSICMEISTER SIGHTING!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:01 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:

Side note: I have to admit it's disappointing to watch a product I used for year stagnate and decline horribly under InMusic's ownership... although I'm not really surprised after what they did with the MixMeister lineup. Although I've been pleasantly surprised at the feature set and usability of both Cross and Traktor here of late so I'm interested to see how Serato stacks up for 'general' use at private events and how well midi is supported now.

If your comming to serato to get away from stagnation and decline.....well....lets just say its a good thing you came in dissappointed.
MusicMeister 5:29 AM - 20 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

If your comming to serato to get away from stagnation and decline.....well....lets just say its a good thing you came in dissappointed.

So it's just more of the same? ;)

People want updates every week and they're not getting them? :D
stevie o 5:58 AM - 20 July, 2013
Welcome back Mm.
Bridge was the biggest cock tease to me. Other than that I'm happy with Serato
DJ GaFFle 12:38 PM - 20 July, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

So it's just more of the same? ;)

People want updates every week and they're not getting them? :D

I think the gods answered their prayers with Midi out. I don't understand the big demand for that feature but I believe they got it.
MusicMeister 9:09 PM - 20 July, 2013
Midi out give you feedback to midi devices as well as allowing you to feed midi output to other applications and devices.

I'm still waiting on the interface to arrive (should be later this coming week) so I can't speak to everything it does but being able to send MIDI Beat Clock allows you to drive a drum machine with the DJ software so it stays in time. Same with external effects processors which use tempo based effects.

You can also send a midi signal out based on other things that happen so that when you do something on the audio side it affects the lighting or other applications which are watching for the midi output.

There's lots of ways to use MIDI... so I'm curious to see how much Serato has done and how well it works.
DJ GaFFle 12:11 PM - 21 July, 2013
Quote:
You can also send a midi signal out based on other things that happen so that when you do something on the audio side it affects the lighting or other applications which are watching for the midi output.

There's lots of ways to use MIDI... so I'm curious to see how much Serato has done and how well it works.

Now that sounds like something I could use. (nm)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:05 PM - 21 July, 2013
Quote:
I figured I might as well see how much has changed on Serato

Uh, you know Serato Scratch live still does NOT have sync - you have to "REALLY" DJ right?

Welcome back dude...

Quote:
I'm curious to see how much Serato has done and how well it works.

take 10 minutes and play with the sampler and effects - get bored and come back here and bitch.

If you are doing video with other stuff and have a Mac, go to www.inklen.com and grab the demo of MixEmergency - compare that to some of the other Video apps you've been spinning.
MusicMeister 5:31 AM - 22 July, 2013
Yes, I'm fully aware it doesn't have sync. The lack of ASIO and MIDI is why I opted for something else 7 years ago. Two years later they added it to Serato, but at that point I was already well into using something else - and was even moderating their forums.

But a lot has changed. The sampler and lots of other things have been added since I last used it.

Since I've actually been DJing with real vinyl quite a bit lately - and switching between digital and real vinyl - the lack of sync isn't that big a deal for me. ;)

Like I said, I'm curious to see what's changed in the product in roughly 5-6 years or so...

I'll take a look at MixEmergency as well, I've heard a lot of good things.
DJ Remy USA 6:35 AM - 22 July, 2013
Quote:
Yes, I'm fully aware it doesn't have sync. The lack of ASIO and MIDI is why I opted for something else 7 years ago. Two years later they added it to Serato, but at that point I was already well into using something else - and was even moderating their forums.

But a lot has changed. The sampler and lots of other things have been added since I last used it.

Since I've actually been DJing with real vinyl quite a bit lately - and switching between digital and real vinyl - the lack of sync isn't that big a deal for me. ;)

Like I said, I'm curious to see what's changed in the product in roughly 5-6 years or so...

I'll take a look at MixEmergency as well, I've heard a lot of good things.

they have core and ASIO drivers now a lot has changed in 6 years mister. I remember you from the Torq forum that was about 6 years ago when I started using SSL never turned back.
MusicMeister 1:34 PM - 22 July, 2013
They have ASIO drivers but no Core Audio on the SL1. ;) At least no that I'm aware of...

I've tried to stay up on the hardware, but haven't on the software. I downloaded the software and the hardware should be here later this week. :)
DeezNotes 1:59 PM - 22 July, 2013
welcome back