DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

PowerOnPlay Denon DN-SC2000 XML MIDI Mapper

J.J. 8:27 AM - 18 July, 2013
J.J.’s DN-SC2000 + Serato Scratch Live XML MIDI Mapper www.poweronplay.com

I just finished adding MIDI Out for all the buttons. You have to register on the site before you can see the link for the XML and 1 Page PDF. I will update the PDF and upload a video on how to install it (for newbies) and show you what everything does.
nikodb 10:34 PM - 22 July, 2013
+1000 for your work JJ...

Dont own any of those Denons and kind of wondering...On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the platter response compared with the HID mode of the CDJs...is the same response shared for the rest of your XML files or is it somewhat different for the rest of the controllers you mapped...will map..

Cheers and thanks for sharing that good work..
Nik
J.J. 12:22 AM - 23 July, 2013
It has taken a while to get MIDI to respond just as fast as a CDJ. The two biggest problems are processing power and bandwidth. Even when Laptops got crazy fast in the last few years, writing software to capture these fast MIDI signal has proven to be difficult. MIDI is ancient technology and was not designed to send/receive that many signals in a short period of time. So developers created X2 MIDI and 14-bit MIDI devices that are far away from Industry Standard. This made it more difficult for Software Engineers.

Of course, a manufacture could create an All-In-One CDJ with 10,000 ticks per rotation, but your ear wouldn't be able to tell the difference and most CD's are only 74 frames per second.

This is how I would Rank responsiveness for a Platter.

1. Rotating Direct Drive Platter via MIDI position accuracy.
• Because the computer doesn't have to decode an audio signal, you will have Ultra Low Latency. Only 1 software (not Virtual DJ) has been able to accomplish this task and I cannot yet talk about it (Software Disclosure). Serato DJ and the NS7 come in a close second.
• At 2960 pulses per revolution, the DN-S3700 MIDI timestamp can differentiate 0.01% up/down.
• The S3900 is even better at less than 0.005%. PRECISE TRACKING with 0 drift!
• Numark NS7ii should be better than 3,600 ticks of resolution.

2. Rotating Direct Drive Platter with timecode on firmware
• I have no idea why this seems faster to me the #3. The digital out on the S3700 hooked to the digital in on the Sixty-Eight yields perfect Circles as a phase diagram on the Scopes. This is only on a very powerful MAC with the lowest latency.

3. CDJ's
• With the correct hardware, there is almost nothing faster than programming your own CDJ. You don't have to worry about all the extra latency problems: USB bandwidth, MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, HID IN, Audio Out to DVS to decode, Audio In from computer etc. The CDJ should easily be in first, but I find it lags to fast MIDI. Maybe it's because the CDJ only treats the CD Audio with 74 frames per second. The moving platters even have drift.

4. Static MIDI Platters
• Ultra Low Latency and Responsiveness was never a high priority for controller makers with platters that didn't move. On paper, this should be up there with #1. However, every static MIDI platter I've ever touched on the latest computer has never came close to realtime. I've tested quite a few with 1ms (64 samples) latency on a Macbook Retina:
• 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
• 768GB Flash Storage
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of dedicated GDDR5 video memory

Unfortunately, the DN-SC2000 + Serato Scratch Live comes in last. You have to remember we are using a small 19" Rackmount DN-HC4500 hack to get the platters to move. Also, when you push forward on a SC2000 (like real vinyl after scratching), it slows down before it gets back to 0%. This is a big frustration if you're coming from Technic 1200's.
nikodb 2:50 AM - 23 July, 2013
I c what you mean...as far as i understood and to get the idea i need..since your mappings are using the Denon HC4500....am i expecting similar performance as the Vestax 380 XML ?? on the Denons (talking about all of them either 2000....3700....or 3900 hooked up to SL without timecodes)

Thanks for the quick response
Cheers
Nik
nikodb 12:19 PM - 23 September, 2014
Hi JJ...

Any chance to light up two Denon 3700 on Serato Dj, with any third party app like midi pipe?

Tried the skunkie-butt app, but besides everything being constantly on...kind of worried for them leds there full on like that all the time...

Is there anything that can be done while Serato Dj still has no midi out ?

(btw using a MAC)

Cheers
Nik
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:53 PM - 30 September, 2014
Ok this might be a stupid question but can this be applied to say Denon 5500's??
nikodb 12:05 AM - 1 October, 2014
I think you can apply it to any device as long as it has midi..5500 however i believe have no midi in-out...

In generally though denon are great maschines, they are a pain when it comes to Serato...Mapped the whole thing to SL with midi out lights and eveything working and it all of a sudden it blackouts...and lights work whenever it wishes...weird stuff...

Cheers
Nik
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:26 PM - 1 October, 2014
5500's are midi in and midi out........

Would be badass if my set worked with SDJ.
nikodb 1:54 AM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
5500's are midi in and midi out........

Would be badass if my set worked with SDJ.

Ok my bad....yeah i am guessing you should be alright mapping them to SDJ...Actually i mapped the s3700 a lot easier on Serato DJ and many dual functions (e.g. Library encoders) were able to be mapped from inside the Serato MIDI interface directly, rather than having to manually open and type the XML file as in Scratch Live...

Only downside is that you probably will have no lights cause there is no Midi Out on SDJ, but try googling the skunkybutt blog, Lite 'em Up application...it does turn on all my lights for the S3700 so at least you ll be able to navigate in the dark, plus it does look cool...Hopefully someone may also give us a tip on how to use a midi pipe like app for this,,,I ve heard it can be done,,,i just cant figure out how...

Yeap..does look like a badass player if you make it work there...plenty of buttons there for mapping :)

Cheers
Nik
J.J. 9:00 PM - 4 October, 2014
Quote:
Hi JJ...

Any chance to light up two Denon 3700 on Serato Dj, with any third party app like midi pipe?

Tried the skunkie-butt app, but besides everything being constantly on...kind of worried for them leds there full on like that all the time...

Is there anything that can be done while Serato Dj still has no midi out ?

(btw using a MAC)

Cheers
Nik

I'm sure there is a way. I need some more time with MIDIPipe. I would love just one example of a MIDI out to light up one LED.
Is Skunke-Butt's app windows only? I can't find any version on his site anymore skunkiebutt.com
nikodb 2:54 PM - 5 October, 2014
Yeah the Lit them Up app is windows only but i run it with wine on my Mac , put my lights on and then close the app and wine...the players remain lit...

here is the link for download..www.denondjforums.com

I have also used your 3700 mapping for SL...stripped it down to my needs and added a few things differently to built a Ddj-SP1+3700 combined XML...but it behaves oddly..some times the lights work, sometimes not..sometimes only one player works, sometimes only SP1 or only 3700.

Cant figure out whats going on there because when i build the mapping and test it everything is fine...after i finish altering the XML and reload Serato...eventually lights will start acting on me (its not the AUtosave issue, neither the XML touched in any other way)....Any ideas for that_? btw Here is the mapping serato.com..

.Isnt it do-able to have a Midi out value e.g. Hot Cue Lights, to correspond to more than one devices (3700+Sp1 in my case) when transmitted on different channels on the same XML? On top of that It may happen even with the Denons mapped alone.

Let me know if anyone has the same problem..

Cheers
Nik
nikodb 2:55 PM - 5 October, 2014

I'm sure there is a way. I need some more time with MIDIPipe. I would love just one example of a MIDI out to light up one LED.
Is Skunke-Butt's app windows only? I can't find any version on his site anymore skunkiebutt.com

My previous post :)
J.J. 5:41 PM - 6 October, 2014
Thanks for the link. I forgot Silvio posted the attachment.

As far as your customized mapping, I've never had any luck MIDI mapping in SSL. It always overwrites your existing code or duplicates code for no reason. This is why I edit in the XML file. I now use DreamWeaver from ADOBE as apposed to a regular text editor. If you have an extra space or return in the XML file, SSL might not read it all together.

The great advantage of editing the XML is that you can simply copy and paste all the buttons from Deck 1 to Deck 2, 3 and 4. I use Find and Replace for the MIDI Channel and command (Left renamed to Right, A renamed to B etc.)

Todd Konix got MIDI Out to light up LEDs but only when pushed down. I will do more research.
youtu.be
nikodb 7:25 PM - 6 October, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I forgot Silvio posted the attachment.

As far as your customized mapping, I've never had any luck MIDI mapping in SSL. It always overwrites your existing code or duplicates code for no reason...Todd Konix got MIDI Out to light up LEDs but only when pushed down. I will do more research.
youtu.be

Well it works great upon creation..i also edit directly the XML but with text Wrangler...In generally i always manage to get everything to work properly till i disconnect the players....,,Even if i assume that Serato does something to my loaded XML...i always have a second copy of a perfectly tested 100% working XML on my desktop ....i replace the one on the MIDI folder that started acting out of the blue after players disconnect...and even after that still does not work....Then all of a sudden you might get lightss on a another boot and on the same XML that was not working....

I also notice that SL will alter your XML only when you map something out of the Serato interface and save...if you edit directly it wont do any changes....I dont know man...Pioneer has a rock solid stable XML on SL...so there s got to be a way...

Anyway thanks for having a look at this...if you figure anything out anytime, just hit a message here...

Cheers
Nik
J.J. 12:21 AM - 21 October, 2014
Okay guys. Some big BIG updates coming our way. serato.com Whoops, Link is now dead. Should be their tomorrow.

New Features

• Sticker Lock Serato does care. Brilliant feature.
• MIDI output lighting Light up your DN-S3700 :)
• Instant Start for motorised platters when start time set to zero #1 Request from NS7 users
• 2 Decimal Place BPM display option
• Toggle time elapsed/remaining for Library, Stack and Offline views First thing I noticed missing from Stacked View from SSL to Serato DJ.
• MIDI Map individual Loop Roll sizes (alt + click)
• 32/64 bit floating point WAV/AIFF file support
• Echo Out effect added to Wolf Pack THIS IS HUGE. They do listen. A clean Echo Out effect with no filter or added noise.
• Continuous library scrolling with navigation buttons (MIDI panel and Vestax VCI-300)
• Saved Loop Mode for Pioneer DDJ-SR (shift + roll)
nikodb 6:30 AM - 21 October, 2014
Yeap...these indeed are very welcomed changes....If you get the chance please post a Midi In/Out example for SDj..

Cheers
Nik
dus 9:47 PM - 6 November, 2014
Hi guys do u have a map midi Xmas for the denon sc 2000 to work with serato dj
Thanks
J.J. 6:12 PM - 7 November, 2014
Quote:
Hi guys do u have a map midi Xmas for the denon sc 2000 to work with serato dj
Thanks

I’m working on one for Serato DJ but I’ve ran into many problems. The Serato DJ 1.7.2 Public Beta MIDI Out doesn’t work with Denon Controllers. Plus, unlike Scratch Live, you cannot Map the Jog Wheel for Platter Control in Serato DJ.

"At this stage and for Serato DJ 1.7.2 the Denon CD player range will not support midi output lighting. Currently the messages they require are not handled by Serato DJ.” - Jamie W from Serato.
DJMIYAGI 8:14 PM - 6 November, 2019
Was a proper SDJ mapping ever made for the SC2000?
cotdagoo 4:41 AM - 8 November, 2019
Quote:

I used the mapping off his website for years until getting a sx2.

www.poweronplay.com
J.J. 5:49 PM - 14 November, 2019
Quote:

No, only for Serato Scratch Live. You can only light up 1 LED in SDJ so I got frustrated and never finished it. However, the Jog Wheel works better in Serato DJ Pro and can be adjusted unlike the Denon DN-HC4500 hack in Scratch Live.
Daniele d'Agnelli 9:54 AM - 6 April, 2020
Could you provide the XML for SDJ as it is?
J.J. 10:57 AM - 7 April, 2020
I only have it for Serato Scratch Live, not Serato DJ. Sorry.
Daniele d'Agnelli 7:46 AM - 8 April, 2020
Quote:
I only have it for Serato Scratch Live, not Serato DJ. Sorry.

Thanks for your reply!

I thought you started an XML for SDJ and did not finish it. I would have liked the unfinished version of it.
J.J. 10:02 PM - 16 April, 2020
For Denon equipment, you can only get 1 LED to turn on in Serato DJ. Frustrating! I will let you know when I can find the SDJ XML and update it.
Daniele d'Agnelli 7:20 AM - 29 April, 2020
Quote:
For Denon equipment, you can only get 1 LED to turn on in Serato DJ. Frustrating! I will let you know when I can find the SDJ XML and update it.

Thanks a lot, that would be really nice!