Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Migrating half of my music library

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Eight
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Emerson D. 3:49 PM - 15 July, 2013
I do both private events and club gigs on a weekly basis. I was wondering the best course of action to move everything i would play at a club onto my internal HD and leave everything i would play at a party on my external HD. Thank you in advance.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 5:48 PM - 15 July, 2013
hi Emerson.. why don't you just get a internal 1TB harddrive ? That way you will always have all your audio with you. To have that hassle of managing two drives separately is always a bigger problem.
I also do video mixing and I use a macbook pro 15" with all the audio files on the internal and my videos are on a separate 1TB (firewire) connection) Lacie drive.
Even you may want to install two identical 1TB drives in the macbook pro since you can install another hardrive in the optical bay. That would be 2TB maximum..check the OWC website.
Emerson D. 2:40 PM - 16 July, 2013
Thank you for the advice but I do need my optical drive just incase at private events if the client needs to play a song and also was just looking to not have to spend any more money to achieve my goal. Still trying to figure out the best way to handle this.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 4:38 PM - 16 July, 2013
Sorry Emerson... I forgot that you might be playing with turntables or a controller, I was assuming you play with pioneers. There are many advantages in having everything in one place (one hardrive) in your laptop. First of all you can get rid much easier of duplicates. Also I believe many dropout problems people are facing with Serato are usb port, cable movement and external harddrive related. The more outboard stuff you connect, the more chances for hardware failure. Besides that, if you have everything on one hardrive your "exporting to recordbox" in case you want to play with a usb stick or SD card on a PIoneer 2000 in a dance festival/club etc goes easier... especially if your doing a guest dj appearance of "just" one and a half hours.
For a regular DJ they can get two internal 1TB harddrives (you have to buy the backup drive too...) with the money earned spinning two hours. I would say it's a very good investment especially knowing that when you back-up you do that easier than when need to back up two separate drives. You wrote your still figuring out how to handle this, well ask the DJ's with experience and they will tell you. I recommend also you "clone" your system disc. One crash without a backup and you will remember my name.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:30 PM - 16 July, 2013
Hey Emerson,

The steps in this video around 4:10 should sort it out --> serato.com
1:57 AM, 30 Aug 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.