DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Midi Out Settings - cant see message?

n1mbus 4:30 AM - 15 July, 2013
Version 2.5

When I am in MIDI set mode, and I click on a button to program it in.. the pop up box is cut off at the bottom. (under "click to reassign")

I am guessing the bottom line says something about Midi Out..

What does it say? anybody else getting same issue?

On Windows 7.
sinesthetix 4:59 AM - 15 July, 2013
Yup same exact issue. I'm trying to map my Akai LPD8.
5:50 AM, 15 Jul 2013
n1mbus attached a file: serato-midi-issue.jpg
View· Permalink
n1mbus 5:50 AM - 15 July, 2013
See the image file
sinesthetix 6:27 AM - 15 July, 2013
SOLVED FOR AKAI LPD8

- Using LPD8 editor, Set MIDI mode to Toggle, not Momentary
- In SSL, Map desired pad *using CC mode* to FX1 toggle. Once mapped, press 'C' to change from absolute MIDI mode to Relative Signed Bit mode.

Bacon.
joachimj 8:51 AM - 15 July, 2013
same issue on W7...
joachimj 10:22 AM - 15 July, 2013
NOW IT WORKS !!!!
You must configure each button on your MIDI controller to "NOTE MESSAGE". "CC Message" doesn't work.
n1mbus 11:54 AM - 15 July, 2013
But its hard to do this when the program does not display the messages properly.. the pop up boxes are all cut off and I cant see what im doing
joachimj 12:12 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
But its hard to do this when the program does not display the messages properly.. the pop up boxes are all cut off and I cant see what im doing

same
n1mbus 12:22 PM - 15 July, 2013
tried manually making the xml file.. but still cant get LEDs to turn off.. only turn on
n1mbus 12:39 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
NOW IT WORKS !!!!
You must configure each button on your MIDI controller to "NOTE MESSAGE". "CC Message" doesn't work.

How did you do this?
joachimj 12:46 PM - 15 July, 2013
It depends of your midi controler.
With a midi controler you can send (& receive) different types of informations. You must send a "Note message" with your midi controler. Most of time we send a "CC message" by default. Then you have to change the setup in your midi controler, but I don't know exactly kow (I work with an iPad)
joachimj 12:47 PM - 15 July, 2013
I don't know exactly how ... sorry
sinesthetix 11:37 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
It depends of your midi controller.

Exactly.

After spending 4 hours getting my LPD8 to light up properly, I'm down for trying to help someone figure out their mess.

n1mbus, what controller are you using?
sinesthetix 11:39 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
SOLVED FOR AKAI LPD8

- In SSL, Map desired pad *using CC mode* to FX1 toggle. Once mapped, press 'C' to change from absolute MIDI mode to Relative Signed Bit mode.

Bacon.

Also, i'll be putting this into a post on its own which is worded much better. I was tired last night after wrestling with the damn thing for so long, but its own post will arrive soon unless someone beats me to it.
n1mbus 2:54 AM - 16 July, 2013
I'm using a Voxoa M70. Half the DJ's in Asia and New Zealand are using these now for Serato. Even have one guy mount his SL1 inside the mixer!
If I have to get the firmware changed I probably can... but it just seems so stupid if SL cant handle different command format, when any other software can. Maybe they just haven't finished this feature yet.

Fortunately the M70 already has a serato LED mode, that allows you to manually set the LEDs to toggle or momentary, but getting this to work properly will be a small thing that makes a huge improvement to the enjoyment of using serato SL.
sinesthetix 4:41 AM - 16 July, 2013
Really that popular in NZ? I see you sell them on your website and after having played their last year and not seen any, I'll take that as hyperbole ;-)

But if you can already choose toggle or momentary and program the pc/cc/note on each button/pad/encoder, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it. MIDI is MIDI afaik.

Try playing around with the other MIDI modes by pressing 'C' after mapping the control, it should work with some trial and error.
n1mbus 5:18 AM - 16 July, 2013
The latching mode I mention disables the midi for the LEDs completely, so not quite the same thing. Really they need to add full functionality to serato - not just a half-measure.

Unfortunately there is a bug in serato, so I can not see different modes when I press "c". The window is only half visible. There doesn't seem to be any modes for the midi out anyway.

The midi outs do not always have the same behaviour as midi in.. so I don't see how the midi learn mode can actually be used to make a decent mapping.... you will still need to make the xml file manually.
n1mbus 5:26 AM - 16 July, 2013
I handed all my info over to the Voxoa software engineer, hopefully he can concoct something to bridge the gap.
djbanno 10:49 AM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
SOLVED FOR AKAI LPD8

Bacon.

Also, i'll be putting this into a post on its own which is worded much better. I was tired last night after wrestling with the damn thing for so long, but its own post will arrive soon unless someone beats me to it.

Looking forward to your post...i'm in all sorts at the moment trying to configure mine.
Damned if i'm gonna let it beat me though...
Dj Koppa Top 8:53 PM - 17 July, 2013
Hey i've been "thinkering" with it seems as though it would work fine for CC but not in the PAD section. You see the entire message in CC but it is cut off in the PAD section. Think it never matter before but now it does. Just my 2cents from messing with it so far. #LPD8