DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Kontrol Z2 mapping for Scratch Live

Qoolee Kid 7:50 PM - 11 July, 2013
I posted this on the NI forum. I'm curious if anybody has or knows of a pre-mapped file for the Kontrol Z2 in Serato. The reason I ask is that I still do video gigs a couple times a month. If such a file doesn't exist then I'll just do it the old fashioned way. I'm just trying to see if I could save some time in doing so. Thanks in advance.
Mr. Goodkat 10:24 PM - 11 July, 2013
ive tried a few times, it seems like the z2s midi lag is really perceptable with the rotary knobs.
Qoolee Kid 10:37 PM - 11 July, 2013
do you have a file that you can send me?
Mr. Goodkat 10:52 PM - 11 July, 2013
its not really worth it, i only did some cues but i didnt really get to far with it.
Qoolee Kid 10:54 PM - 11 July, 2013
haha oh ok... in that case, never mind! thanks though!
Will08272 1:41 AM - 12 July, 2013
I made a mapping and its been killer for me, besides the lack of the lights which is no big deal, take a look and let me know if you would like it. Have everything labeled so youll see what does what.
i1280.photobucket.com
Qoolee Kid 4:21 PM - 14 July, 2013
I'm gonna PM you. i didn't fully map it all out on mine, but I'd like to check out what you have and just tweak it to my liking.

You can actually assign the lights. you can also pick which colors you want when static and when pushed.
Mr. Goodkat 11:03 PM - 14 July, 2013
id like that mapping too if you dont mind.
Will08272 1:52 AM - 15 July, 2013
Goodkat the one I posted in the picture ?
Mr. Goodkat 6:46 AM - 15 July, 2013
yes, i sent a msg.
PATAGUAS CERRO 10:50 PM - 4 September, 2013
hola soy de chile y me gustaria saber de algun video tutorial que muestre como funciona la z2 con el maper de serato sl
Will08272 12:42 AM - 5 September, 2013
Saludos mano, le puedo enviar unos files, y una breve explicacion en como usar el Z2 con scratch live. No es dificil como pensara.
PATAGUAS CERRO 2:20 PM - 5 September, 2013
muchas gracias... Will08272 mi email es rodrigosocial@gmail.com
btw005 12:14 AM - 6 September, 2013
Will08272,

sorry to be a sponge but would you mind sending me the mapping as well?
Will08272 12:32 AM - 6 September, 2013
No Problem message me your email
btw005 2:09 AM - 6 September, 2013
Ok, just sent it . Thanks
junrock 1:56 PM - 18 September, 2013
would you mind sending me the mapping for the z2 for sera to brain0storm@yahoo.com
DJ Javi 12:44 AM - 19 September, 2013
Will08272,

If you wouldnt mind send it here please

Djjr_101@hotmail.com

Thank you
thakoolkat1979 3:24 AM - 22 September, 2013
@will08272, do you mind sending it to me also?
BGPro 7:28 PM - 22 September, 2013
@will08272, can you also send me that mapping?

bmrecordings@gmail.com

Thanks!!!
whattupone 4:49 PM - 3 October, 2013
@will08272, would you please send me the mapping as well? Email: whattupone@gmail.com Thanks in advance.
DJ Irv 5:52 PM - 4 October, 2013
I'm a little late to this party but, can someone send me this mapping? I would appreciate it greatly.

bkbikenerd@gmail.com

Or just put it on dropbox for the world to worship your work.
DJ Skruff 8:19 PM - 10 October, 2013
I'd like to get the mapping as well if someone wouldn't mind sending it.

djskruff1979@gmail.com

Thanks!
Will08272 9:53 PM - 10 October, 2013
Not sure why i didnt just upload these files before, procrasinate to much. Any way here are the mappings if anyone wants to download them.

Control editor file
docs.google.com

Serato XML
docs.google.com
RobDJ dotcom 10:19 PM - 10 October, 2013
Can somebody step away from files haring for just a sec and give a review on this thing. I totally missed it until this convo. The pics and price point look promising. Who has used it? What's your opinion on it? I've got an X1 and I love it so I'm real interested in this.
DJ Irv 4:06 PM - 11 October, 2013
I think there are other threads reviewing the Z2 already but, not to rude here we go again.

Looks & Layout
It's pretty and the lay very clean. There are quite few buttons you need to familiarize yourself with on it. Quantize, Snap, Sync, rel/int,. The cue for it is not a fader but rather a push button. I am not a fan of push button cue. I always prefer faders like the 05Pro, Rane 56/57. Over all the layout is beautiful and not cluttered.

Faders
Cross Fader: is a mini innofader and it's awesome for cutting. It's right there with my 57SL but, only time will tell how it will hold up dirt, dust, scratching.
Volume Faders: are a bit stiff and lack curve adjustment but I don't use my line faders scratching.

Filter:
Sounds awesome. You just need to try it as I am not able to describe it all that well. It kills the bass in one direction and treble in the other but, different to the EQ as it keep some frequencies that just give that mellow sound.

EQ:
They work as expected. They kill all bass, treble, mid, and go about +6 in the other direction. I have no complaints here.

Loops Controls:
F-N awesome! It displays the beats bars on the mixer so you know where it's at. It's adjusted by a rotary knob and activated by pushing down on the knob. It works as expected and makes looping a breeze. It's lets me incorporate loops much easier then Scratch Live on 57SL.

Cue Pad:
Big ol' colored buttons. Quick, responsive, and color coated so you know if they are loops, standard cue points, load cue's etc. The Z2 got this right period.

Deck C D
Not much to say here except I only mix on 2 decks and haven't found a reason to use them. If you are spinning with 4 decks you might need an X1 to fully utilize deck C&D. Also that sync feature might come in handy here.

The Sync Button
I don't use it but, A-Trak said it best. If you know how to mix there's no need to prove it all the time. Use it to free up some time do other things with your performance. If you don't like it don't use it. You die hard Scratch Live people don't get emotional everyone has their own opinion on this and thinks everyone else's sucks. Let's respect others.

Quantize and Snap button:
I had to make sure these are always disabled. They make the cue button unresponsive. They are trying to force the cue to release on beat and sometimes I just want to trigger the cues off beat or rapidly.

FX:
They only work in Traktor and they work well. There are quite a few but, I haven't gotten into them yet.

Sound:
This is subject so don't catch feelings folks. It sounds way better than my SL1, 57SL when playing mp3s but, that is to be expected. Playing vinyl there isn't much of a difference and the Z2 sounds good. I like the sound of Z2 more than the SL2 but, I think both sound good.

USB Hub:
It works and has enough power for an LED light i use on it sometime when I DJ clubs. I also keep some super tiny USB sticks on it sometimes.

Rear Layout:
Clean, power switch, standard power cord, auto sensing power supply. Balanced XLR out (MAIN). RCA out (MAIN). 1/4" out (Booth). Mic 1/4" input and AUX RCA. 2 Grounding screws. Kensington Lock port so you can secure it.

Build Quility:
The faceplate marking fade really fast. NI knows of this problems and has been swapping out the faceplates with a new design for those affected. NI is handling support much better than it did in the Final Crash days I will say the mixer itself is Solid and heavy. It looks like it can take some abuse although I am not the abusive type.

Traktor 2.6.4
It works. It has never crashed on me but, i haven't used it out much. It is much much different than spinning in ScratchLive. It can do a lot more than SL can do but, learning Traktor takes patients and time. Traktor allows for remixing things live in way SL just can't but, most of the DJ's on SL don't want these features. I say SL is just simpler and cleaner to use but, Traktor is pretty good once you get used to it.

Vinyl Control:
Traktor control signal tracks better and doesn't drift when there is a lot of noise and vibration but, this has never really bothered me about SL. It only bothers me now that I am used to it not happening at home with Traktor and out with SL. Traktor tracks better and is a bit more responsive when scratching but it's not that big a deal the way i see it.

Value:
I bought my Z2 for $600USD. For the price I paid for it was more than worth it. It gives me a backup to my trusty 57SL. I consider it better than my 57SL in design and sound but, the comparison is not really fare since the 57SL came out a decade ago. I have not used Z2 with the MIDI mapping for SL. I would be interested to see how they work together but, maybe someone else can elaborate.

PSA:
These are mainly opinions. Don't get emotional in a forum. It's not a good look. I like Scratch Live and Rane and use both and have for years. This is only my opinion on Z2 and Traktor.
RobDJ dotcom 7:19 PM - 11 October, 2013
@Irv-
Wow!!! Great description. Much appreciated. I assume this is a mixer with built in Midi controller? Still needs an SL1/2/3 in order to be used with SSL?
DJ Irv 7:21 PM - 11 October, 2013
It can be used as a MIDI controller with ScratchLive and you do in fact need an SL1,SL2,SL3,SL4 to use with ScrathLive.
Qoolee Kid 4:10 PM - 12 October, 2013
for what it's worth, you're getting more bang for your buck in my opinion. not to mention mini innofaders. i got mine for $599 and compared to the rane mixers you should already know when it comes down to $$$. for the simple fact that i don't always have video gigs, the Z2 mixer just seemed like the no-brainer decision. when i'm doing video gigs, i'll just bring out the SX or the VCI-380.

i was skeptical on the Z2 at first because i was completely sold on the pictures. i thought it looked cheap, but it's actually pretty well built, i just don't agree with NI's decision to have that plastic, glossy, faceplate. when i saw it went down to $599 (at the time) then i just jumped on it. i'm very happy with the purchase.
phonze 5:04 PM - 12 October, 2013
Just a word of caution, a lot of cross faders on this thing have messed up. Basically it'll work on one side, but sound will still bleed into the other side. Luckily for me the side I cut on still works, but I'm shit out of luck on the other side. Not a big deal for those that mix with the line faders anyways, but for turntablists that want to juggle or scratch/cut on both sides that's a huge issue. I'm trying to get mine fixed.
Will08272 5:14 PM - 12 October, 2013
I had an issue with the cross fader bleeding, i was able to fix it by re calibrating the mixer in the control editor. Give it a shot and see if it works.
DJ Irv 1:19 AM - 16 October, 2013
Phonze they (Audio Innovative & Native Instruments) are good about fixing and replacing the faders. Let us know how this works out.
Will08272 3:08 PM - 16 October, 2013
Sorry anyone that wasn't able to download the files, google drive and i arent friends here some dropbox links

Control Editor File
www.dropbox.com

Serato XML
www.dropbox.com
EL CONDUCTOR 3:49 AM - 1 July, 2014
Hey Will! Thanks for the mappings.. Quick question.. Although I've been using serato since it's release and I've successfully mapped other controllers I've never installed mapping this way before.. Anything tips?
Will08272 4:30 AM - 1 July, 2014
Quote:
Hey Will! Thanks for the mappings.. Quick question.. Although I've been using serato since it's release and I've successfully mapped other controllers I've never installed mapping this way before.. Anything tips?

Sure, i dont use the z2 anymore but had to the other day since the 62 was getting repaired. Just put the xml file in the midi folder where ever your serato database file is. And the control editor file you have to load up in the control editor software. Once your using scratch live go to the setup and the file should show up in your midi settings load it up and you should be good to go. If you have any issues let me know
EL CONDUCTOR 4:33 AM - 1 July, 2014
Awesome thanks!!

Is this a temporary mapping? If so is it easy to switch back to either a Rane 62 or 57?
Will08272 5:05 AM - 1 July, 2014
Quote:
Awesome thanks!!

Is this a temporary mapping? If so is it easy to switch back to either a Rane 62 or 57?

Yesh its only when the Z2 is the device being used.
EL CONDUCTOR 5:21 AM - 1 July, 2014
Right on.. And again thanks for all your help :-)

Hit me up if your ever in Sacramento CA!!
Cdjr87 1:45 PM - 23 December, 2015
i'm like a year late. but is it poss for me to get a copy of the mini map file?
Mr. Goodkat 2:39 PM - 23 December, 2015
the mapping for ssl is on the ni website which you can change as well.

the mapping for sdj is probably something you need to do by yourself. but you still need the NI controller editor.
Cdjr87 3:41 PM - 23 December, 2015
where can i find the Ni controller editor? is it on native instruments website?
DJ Irv 5:00 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
where can i find the Ni controller editor? is it on native instruments website?

www.native-instruments.com
Cdjr87 5:22 PM - 23 December, 2015
thx
Cdjr87 1:13 AM - 26 December, 2015
@Will08272 can you send me the midi mapping file you have
WarpNote 10:01 AM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
I like the sound of Z2 more than the SL2 but, I think both sound good.

@ DJ Irv, how would you describe the difference?
DJ Irv 5:20 PM - 27 December, 2015
So let me start off by stating the obvious. Sound is subjective.

The Z2 (or maybe its Traktor's sound engine) is punchier almost like the base is tighter but, they both sound good. I think the real difference is going to be in the sound engine between SL SDJ TSP. After a while I've found I didn't need an Rane soundcard and have sold them off. The clubs I spin either have SL/SDJ enabled gear or I use my Z2 with Traktor. I'm more interested on testing the Pioneer S9. I keep hearing good things about it and how it sounds in big clubs.
Cdjr87 7:46 AM - 29 December, 2015
I know topic is for SL but im trying to get the mapping for z2 to work for sdj. i hooked up all the wires.. turned on the serato. put the mapping and xml files in the right places but i cannot control the mixer thru serato and none of the mixer is working. Do i need to install anything from NI before the mixer would work? and should i register the mixer and install the drivers? i remember reading somewhere that i wasnt suppose to install the traktor pro software. if any can help please respond
Mr. Goodkat 8:26 AM - 29 December, 2015
ni controller editor
Cdjr87 2:31 PM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
ni controller editor

yes i used the control editor but at top when it ask me to connect.. it wont allow me to connect.. question i'm asking for it to work. how much of the software from NI do i need to install
Cdjr87 2:39 PM - 29 December, 2015
will it work for windows 10
DJ Irv 5:07 PM - 29 December, 2015
Maybe your mixer is not in midi mode. (Shift + the sprocket button)
Dj_blakout_ 6:36 PM - 27 August, 2017
can someone send me the mapping software for the z2
dj frank kutz 5:29 AM - 14 June, 2019
NEED HELP WITH CONNECTING THE Z2....
TO SL2
IM HERE 2 HOURS LATER STILL TRYING
dj frank kutz 5:30 AM - 14 June, 2019
I WHEN ON YOU TUBE BUT NO LUCK
dj frank kutz 5:30 AM - 14 June, 2019
VALIO WINNIE
Mr. Goodkat 7:53 AM - 14 June, 2019
usb the sl2 and the z2 to your computer, then hit midi and map
WildcardX 3:34 PM - 14 June, 2019
Make sure that the Z2 is in Midi Mode as well with:

SHIFT + SETTINGS (gearwheel button)
Jenks_74 10:40 PM - 1 April, 2020
Hi everyone, I need some help I’ve just moved away from a controller to a DVS set up and went with a z2 and thought I’d give Traktor a spin.....and I hate it.
What do I need to enable me to be able to use it with Serato DJ pro?

Thanks in advance

Jenks
metroplex2005 9:04 AM - 2 April, 2020
One of those:
serato.com
WildcardX 1:07 PM - 2 April, 2020
Quote:
Hi everyone, I need some help I’ve just moved away from a controller to a DVS set up and went with a z2 and thought I’d give Traktor a spin.....and I hate it.
What do I need to enable me to be able to use it with Serato DJ pro?

Thanks in advance

Jenks

You would first need a Serato DJ Pro enabled sound card like the Rane SL2,3, or 4 (3 and 4 would allow you to record your sets internally) or a Denon DS1 sound card. Then you would ned to grad a map. I used to use the ones from RADIKARL with a few tweaks to my liking that can be found here. www.radikarl.de
Jenks_74 10:24 PM - 2 April, 2020
Thanks for the advice, I have a Denon DS1 on the way and I have downloaded those files 👍🏼
As I’m pretty new, is it quite easy to set up and get my Z2 up and running with Serato once it arrives?
WildcardX 1:34 PM - 3 April, 2020
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I have a Denon DS1 on the way and I have downloaded those files 👍🏼
As I’m pretty new, is it quite easy to set up and get my Z2 up and running with Serato once it arrives?

Check out the pages on Computer Opermization for Serato as well as having the required drivers for Windows; it is a Class compliant device for MacOS. With the Z2 you can download the NI Controller Editor to get you pads coloured. Some times you may need to start it when before you start Serato but I have found that many times I used to plug in the Z2 and it just loaded the configuration.
Check out also the guide on how to load you XML Map. You have to place them in the XML folder so that Serato DJ Pro is able to load it. If you make changes I would suggest you save it as another name and any succeeding changes be saved ther as well, that way if you mess it up you can go back to the original map you started with easily.
Another caveat; even though it happens with offical gear as well; you may also find that before you start to play you may have to turn the knob assigned to the FX wet/dry to activate them, otherwise when you press the button to activte it you'll get nothing. I recommend thoroughly exploring what each control on the mixer does first before you dive in so it can give you an idea of what to change if you need to. The Radikarl Map is practically a 1:1 map of the Z2 for Serato DJ Pro. Just a few suggestions that I hope helps.
Jenks_74 7:30 PM - 9 April, 2020
HELP please.....So I’ve set up The DS1 with my z2 and loaded the XML filed into the serato-midi-xml folder and loaded the .ncc into controller editor as per various videos and the mappings do work correctly.

Im having loads of lag issues when moving the control vinyl, cue points not working properly and the sound quality is horrendous.

What am I doing that’s so wrong
WildcardX 2:34 PM - 10 April, 2020
Make sure you have the Z2 set properly to Line instead of Phono. If I remeber properly I had it setr as phono as I thought it should have been and it sounded weird. The setting on the DS1 should be what's set to Phono. Ensure that you are using it in Relative mode for your hot cues to work. Just few suggestions. You can also check your Buffer in the Serato settings as well for response but also note how well your machine can handle it and you don't get Audio Dropouts.