Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Hackintosh

DJ Dan-E 3:19 PM - 8 November, 2008
Curious to know if anyone has put OSX on their PC and running OSX with Serato and Video plugin since we know the plug int works great on the MAC?
If no one has than I guess I will venture this route, and give it a whirl, however if someone has tried it and has results, I dont want to waste time if it hasnt worked. I have read on other forums tho that OSX runs fine on the pc with the few hacked files that you need to run OSX on the PC.
nik39 8:25 PM - 8 November, 2008
Not worth the effort IMHO.
DJ Dan-E 10:25 PM - 8 November, 2008
Nik,
have you tried it? From reading doesnt look hard to do. I have the MAC OSX software, and plenty of hardware to build a killer system. I guess if I dont hear back I will give it a shot and compare it vs my macbook pro.
DJ James 10:43 PM - 8 November, 2008
Yes i have been running mac on my pc now for about 6 month best thing i every did
Quad Core my Cpu when running videos sits at maybe 25%
DJ Dan-E 1:32 AM - 9 November, 2008
DJ James, Hey thanks for the feedback, was curios to see how it would run with Serato Video. I think I ll throw an extra harddrive in my system and have a dual boot. One for XP and one for the Hackintosh. This way I can utilize all the sata drives I have in the computer that has all videos, however going to have to convert to .mp4 (going to suck, I wish .vob support was here already).
D-Twizzle 1:33 AM - 9 November, 2008
DJ Dan-E 3:21 AM - 9 November, 2008
thanks twizzle
boabmatic 6:48 PM - 9 November, 2008
I had problems with my sony laptop, as there is no working OSX video drivers for sony displays.

you can run it with default drivers but you then cant use the external display. ok for normal SSL but for VSL.

when i tried VSL just on the main display it was running better than on XP but now with the newer releases of VSL there is not much difference between OSX and XP on the same laptop.
Culprit 2:30 PM - 10 November, 2008
got mine working, best thing for vsl, been using it since may08 at all my gigs no problem. FYI perian is a must.
Dj Nyce 4:39 PM - 13 November, 2008
which flavors of hackintosh installs are you guys using? i've only tried Leo4All.
Culprit 6:51 PM - 13 November, 2008
leo4allv2. I had to do alot of work to get my video card working, so good luck.
DJ Dan-E 10:34 PM - 13 November, 2008
kalyway 10.5.2...just insert the dvd and install
Culprit 10:48 PM - 13 November, 2008
fyi s-video will not work w/ nvidia cards. Ive tried every possible method, so dont waist your time. I use this

shop3.frys.com**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
DJ Dan-E 2:06 PM - 14 November, 2008
Havent tried taking s-video out yet, I will have to give it a shot and see what happens. I am sure if you hit hacintosh forums someone should have some fix. Let me see what happens with my kalyway install this weekend.
Funkytownstopsix 2:16 PM - 14 November, 2008
Culprit is right will not work via s-vid. I think because the drivers are hacked. But you can go out vga or even hdmi if you have it on you laptop. I have the HP which has all 3. I used Kalyway as well it was ok but that lasted for about 3 months I use it on vista and runs very well. The only diffrence that I noticed is that video shows a little brighter and clearer on Mac OX. I have pc and mac and to be honest nobody would know which I was using. If you do try the Hackamac I suggest that you do a lot of reading although it is easy to do you miss one thing and you have to do it over again. Good luck.

HP 2.5ghz 4gig or ram 8600gt grapics Vista with everything enabled.
MBP 2.5ghz 4gig or ram 8600gt grapics Lepaord with everything enabled.
Culprit 7:02 AM - 28 April, 2009
Just thought id mention that I just successfully got my alienware m9750 to now boot xp sp3, vista ultimate, osx 1.5.3, and ubuntu 8 to all boot up almost perfectly using vista boot loader (via easybcd)

My laptop supports easily removable hard drives via left side access panel (two), and I have cloned my hard drives using the acronis software that came with my seagate 1.5tb external hard drives. If a hard drive fails or crashes, I just pull out a backup, slide out the old one, slide in the new one, and the computer boots perfect. The slide trays from alienware custom made are only $6 so I ordered 4 of them as backup. With hard drives, its not a matter of if, its when.

I love my laptop =]

[4help.alienware.com]

Next i want to learn how to install xp / vista on my mbp.
Culprit 7:03 AM - 28 April, 2009
*forgot to mention that the trays does not include the hard drives for the noobs
DJPNUT 3:53 PM - 28 April, 2009
Culprit,
Was that the Alienware laptop you took to Cali kings last time?

What are you using Ubuntu for?
djgeeth 6:31 PM - 28 April, 2009
Might have to try this out, its not like I dont have 4 laptops haha
a-swift 7:14 PM - 28 April, 2009
I think the correct answer was post #2. Considering the time cost in order to get this working, I think it's easier just to buy a real mac (which of course will also dual boot and run windows better than most PCs).

Unless of course, your time is worthless, then this is certainly worth fiddling around with.
Culprit 7:33 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
I think the correct answer was post #2. Considering the time cost in order to get this working, I think it's easier just to buy a real mac (which of course will also dual boot and run windows better than most PCs).

Unless of course, your time is worthless, then this is certainly worth fiddling around with.

I indeed have a mbp, this was a sunday evening project of mine. Only took an hour and a half to do, but I have done my research and homework via insanelymac.com.

Simple solution would be to purchase a mac, highly suggested.

Quote:
Culprit,

I just like ubuntu, it has cool features, cant really do much more with it but its nice to have.

Yes this was the alienware m9750 laptop i took to the calikings meets & greets. You heard the next meeting is first thursday of may will have Paradiso girls?
a-swift 7:38 PM - 28 April, 2009
2nd that on Ubuntu. Almost all my linux boxes have been switched to Ubuntu.
a-swift 7:41 PM - 28 April, 2009
Here is a fact about Linux distributions. The best one is almost always the one most people are using. Unless you love to compile all your own software and troubleshoot the compile problems.

You might think you like some nifty little distro but wait until you realize your favorite software doesn't have any pre-compiled packagaes for it. Even if you been doing this a long time (and I have), sometimes the compile problems are maddening.
Culprit 7:52 PM - 28 April, 2009
im not ganna pretend like i know about linux, this is my first distro, and I enjoy it alot. I did some research and people in the irc chat rooms had told me to try debian or ubuntu and It would be user friendly. Ubuntu is defenitly a user friendly linux distro, but im a noob when it comes to linux. Still discovering its powers.
a-swift 7:53 PM - 28 April, 2009
at least you started with the best one. that's a plus.
Culprit 7:55 PM - 28 April, 2009
[Watchwww.youtube.com]

this is not my video, but a good one to get an idea of some of the cool features. It's also really stable.

Going to do my research on company time and see if its worth installing on my dell poweredge 1850 quad core server at work. Still kinda scared tho.
D-Twizzle 8:44 PM - 28 April, 2009
my work sent me back to a local community college last year to catch up on my linux and scripting knowledge and we were running cent os 5. i think it's a little less user friendly than ubuntu.
nik39 8:50 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
sometimes the compile problems are maddening.

Try compiling a "monster" like ffmpeg and all the libraries. It will drive you *nuts*.
DJPNUT 1:05 AM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:

Quote:
Culprit,

I just like ubuntu, it has cool features, cant really do much more with it but its nice to have.

Yes this was the alienware m9750 laptop i took to the calikings meets & greets. You heard the next meeting is first thursday of may will have Paradiso girls?

I heard about it, just waiting on the confirmation from frank
DJPNUT 1:13 AM - 29 April, 2009
Ubunto is pretty dope!
I use it at work for web filtering
It does the Job!
djgeeth 3:03 AM - 29 April, 2009
Ubuntu rocks. But to me its like Mac -- too many essential things I cant do, otherwise id use it 24/7.

(before people get in a flame war, Im an engr, and we use lots of proprietary software that i use to collaborate with others using the same windows software.)
a-swift 3:21 AM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
sometimes the compile problems are maddening.

Try compiling a "monster" like ffmpeg and all the libraries. It will drive you *nuts*.

yeah, this is exactly what i meant. we used to talk about "DLL Hell" on windows but Linux has windows beat in the hell department EASILY.

if you think compiles are a bitch, consider the upgrades. i've never had a linux that upgraded as easy as a mac. i've tried them ALL. slackware, redhat, mandrake, suse, you name it. if you're gonna do an upgrade, block out a weekend.

i just wish macs were more like linux, without being too much like linux.
nik39 9:16 AM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
i've tried them ALL.

Debian?
a-swift 4:12 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
i've tried them ALL.

Debian?

well ubuntu is derived from debian. so in that case, yes.

as a matter of fact though, i was really never able to run debian. they take a very firm stance on only allowing free software in their main distro. almost all the stuff i need does not qualify under their strict rules. even with all the non-free debian side projects, this would mean a LOT of compiling and fiddling with my system just to get the stuff i need.
nik39 8:44 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
well ubuntu is derived from debian. so in that case, yes.

Yeah... debian is just a lot lot older. The "real deal".

But I think I'll switch to Ubuntu as well, due to the reasons you mentioned.
djgeeth 10:46 PM - 29 April, 2009
we need a SSL for linux, I would use that in a heartbeat hah
Culprit 11:37 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:

*cough* mac *cough*
djgeeth 9:37 AM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

*cough* mac *cough*

linux = (arguably) more stable, FREE, and worked on just about any device out there.

:p
Culprit 7:13 PM - 30 April, 2009
Just letting you know tho bro that serato is never going to release scratchlive officially for linux. You might see a port of somekind from somewhere else, but nothing officially from serato.
a-swift 10:42 PM - 30 April, 2009
+1

NEVER seems appropriate here.
djgeeth 3:57 AM - 1 May, 2009
Oh I know, just wishful thinking
djgeeth 9:09 AM - 28 June, 2009
Doesnt really have to do with video, but I got my Dell Mini 9 runng OSX 10.5.7 perfectally, with sound, wireless, etc working. Runs SSL flawlessly too, but its missing like 50 pixels off the bottom in setup -- but the normal window is fine.

Damn osx being bloated and taking up 12gb, or else id be able to put a lot of music on there!
eder 9:26 AM - 28 June, 2009
delete your printer drivers and languages...forgot the app, but google search it. frees like 5gb
Culprit 9:18 PM - 18 November, 2009
voodoohda.kext fixed my sound for my hacintosh. I can use my mbp as a backup now thank god. VSL runs 10x better on my os86 than my MBP.. wtf?
DJ Dan-E 5:25 AM - 24 November, 2009
because the hardware specs are better! also Linux is starting to gain more ground, and its the os of choice from hackers. So much power and customization.
I dont think it would be to hard for Serato to make a port to Linux.
Culprit 2:42 PM - 24 November, 2009
Quote:
because the hardware specs are better! also Linux is starting to gain more ground, and its the os of choice from hackers. So much power and customization.
I dont think it would be to hard for Serato to make a port to Linux.

Its totally pointless i think now, just buy a MAC or install osx on your PC.

OSX was based on linux kernel correct? ::heads to google::
a-swift 9:56 PM - 24 November, 2009
Culprit, OSX kernel is based on FreeBSD or mach to be more specific. It's a very similar architecture to Linux kernel design in many ways. Most Unix based OS are similar at the heart.

Linux has been a better platform than Windows for about 15 years now. At least that's how long I've been using it (my main OS since about 1993).

Also, all of the things that make Linux great is also the main reason why you will never see massive adoption of Linux by off the shelf software pushers.

Serato will never be ported to Linux. That's a bet. If it is, it'll be in the form of a Serato laptop with the Serato OS. A complete solution.
Culprit 11:48 PM - 24 November, 2009
gotcha, thanks