DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is it the slipmats?

mick0880 3:40 PM - 6 November, 2008
What up Fam...

I have these Glowtronics slipmats (non glow) and I'm not feeling them. I have to give the vinyl a slight more of a push because they don't catch onto the turntable like I want them to. A homeboy of mine has a set of Stanton slip mats with the yellow twirl design and underneath them he has plastic sheets also from Stanton. And they catch REAL GOOD. As soon as you let go of the record, it catches it quick...making his tables easier to cue than mine.

He told me that my mats are just too new...but I've been spinning on them for about 6 months. What's the deal? Is it the slipmats and what kind of material? or is it my vinyls aren't flat because they seem to be...
Milesy303 3:50 PM - 6 November, 2008
It could be warped vinyl, but it might just be the slipmats. Usually if I play on other mats sometimes you need to compensate for more drag. Some slipmats are made with extra grip for situations where you dont want slippy records.

I have a pair of DMC ones which are great. Never had any problems with them. Made with scratching / turntablism in mind.

To take a cheap trick from Q-Bert - Get a paper record sleeve insert and stick it under your slipmat for instant extra slip :)

A sheet of A4 trimmed down a little and a small hole in the middle would work just as well.
Gor 10:59 PM - 6 November, 2008
qberts trick uses plastic not paper. Also i dont think paper would be the best thing to use because when it slips it will create more noise than other slipmat materials. That sound will transmit through your needle and though not noticeable, adds noise.
Gor 11:02 PM - 6 November, 2008
If you want really grippy slipmats, use wetsuit material
When i had poomark tt200's they came with slipmats like that and i learnt how to scratch on those. Then i switched to 1200s and butterrugs and man was i amazed at what i had been missing out on.
Jesus Christ 11:30 PM - 6 November, 2008
WTF? Paper? Wetsuit material? (Neoprene?)

Just get some ButterRugs. Done!

First, flip your record upside down and try it out. If it "catches" better, then that means that the record is warped.
JayB1200 11:43 PM - 6 November, 2008
I have the plastic record sleeve's under my "Reguler" slipmats. They're perfect for everything...
sopranosupasta 11:47 PM - 6 November, 2008
butter rugs or frosted plates

/end of discussion....

now, If your having a hard time with ANY slipmat getting traction when you release it, your vinyls probably warped like everyone said, and you could have 9 slipmats and it wouldnt make any difference
Marty Mcfly 1:11 AM - 7 November, 2008
a mate of mine was given a pair of unreleased serato slipmats that looked alot like butter rugs and came with plastic. he reckons they did a way better job than butter rugs for scratching but were hard to mix with coz they slipped so much. has anyone else seen these?
Logisticalstyles 2:52 AM - 7 November, 2008
I just got some Butter rugs this week. I can't wait to use them this weekend. Before these Butterrugs I was using some thick novelty slipmats, and a pair of super thick velvety looking ones. They both looked great, but they were horrible for scratching and cueing up records. I've been practicing with the Butterrugs and there is a huge difference.
D J L.P. 3:17 AM - 7 November, 2008
butter rugs young apprentice...... butter rugs.
DeezNotes 3:41 AM - 7 November, 2008
Quote:
a mate of mine was given a pair of unreleased serato slipmats that looked alot like butter rugs and came with plastic. he reckons they did a way better job than butter rugs for scratching but were hard to mix with coz they slipped so much. has anyone else seen these?

They are the Tablecloth slipmats by D-Styles with a different print.

Tablecloths > Butter Rugs

for shizzle.
DeezNotes 3:42 AM - 7 November, 2008
BTW... no plastic needed. You only need plastic for those wack ass slipmats described in the first post.
Super Mario 3:46 AM - 7 November, 2008
Just play some other vinyl on it and see if it does the same thing... that way you can figure out if it really is the slipmats or the control vinyl.
Milesy303 9:50 AM - 7 November, 2008
Quote:
qberts trick uses plastic not paper. Also i dont think paper would be the best thing to use because when it slips it will create more noise than other slipmat materials. That sound will transmit through your needle and though not noticeable, adds noise.

Years ago I seen QBert advise the use of a inner record sleeve .
mick0880 4:51 PM - 7 November, 2008
Ok so I used different vinyl and used butter rugs. Still doesn't catch the way I want them to. There are some records I have that are warped. I flip them on one side and they grip perfect...and then on the other side, they just keep sliding. But if it is the vinyls, then that means MOST of my vinyls are warped? That can't be right. But I am going to stick with the butter rugs since you guys suggest it. So I guess I'm narrowing it down to my vinyls then...
Super Mario 4:55 PM - 7 November, 2008
Mick, How do you store your vinyl?
DeezNotes 5:39 PM - 7 November, 2008
Just bend them a little in the opposite direction before you spin. Bend and rotate. Don't break.
DeezNotes 5:40 PM - 7 November, 2008
Opposite direction being the outer ring of the vinyl down towards the platter and the inner label section up towards the sky (when the record is on the platter).
Gor 2:07 AM - 8 November, 2008
Quote:

First, flip your record upside down and try it out. If it "catches" better, then that means that the record is warped.

He wanted more grip not less, it was just a suggestion :p
Jesus Christ 2:16 AM - 8 November, 2008
Gor... I wasn't trying to bash your suggestion. I just think that he has warped records. Different slipmat material won't help the underlying cause.
Gor 3:21 AM - 8 November, 2008
No worries
D J L.P. 3:20 AM - 9 November, 2008
Quote:
Ok so I used different vinyl and used butter rugs. Still doesn't catch the way I want them to. There are some records I have that are warped. I flip them on one side and they grip perfect...and then on the other side, they just keep sliding. But if it is the vinyls, then that means MOST of my vinyls are warped? That can't be right. But I am going to stick with the butter rugs since you guys suggest it. So I guess I'm narrowing it down to my vinyls then...

What needles are you using. get some ortofons or m-44's homie.
Bill Wilson 10:08 PM - 9 November, 2008
Quote:

''
mick0880 6:45 PM - 10 November, 2008
Quote:
Mick, How do you store your vinyl?

I store them in their original covers in my vinyl shelf...away from sunlight...so it's relatively cool where it's at. I do know that one of them is warped. When I bought that particular one off ebay, I assume the summer heat warped it in its package. I just asked another DJ friend of mine to check them out and he says that they're fine. The vinyls do grip once I let them go...it just seems very light and fragile compared to my homeboy's tables...I'm guessing that I just love the way his tables feel versus mine.

I don't know if I'm making any sense...but it's just a different feel.
Super Mario 8:05 PM - 10 November, 2008
What kind of decks do you have and what kind does your friend have? Different models will definitely handle startup on releasing the vinyl differently. Different torque specifications might be what's giving you the perceived notion of "not catching" when in reality it might just be the fact that your tables don't have the same amount of torque.
mick0880 2:01 PM - 12 November, 2008
We both have 1200s.
D J L.P. 6:39 PM - 12 November, 2008
Who worries about warped vinyl any more when u have serato.
Marty Mcfly 12:31 AM - 13 November, 2008
they warp too =$
mick0880 3:22 PM - 13 November, 2008
^^^...word.
theJAV 3:49 PM - 13 November, 2008
Rugs of Butter or new control vinyl = Peace in the middle east
mick0880 7:57 PM - 13 November, 2008
yeah i'm about to get new CVs...how do ya'll store your CVs? because I keep them in their original covers. I've seen it online somewhere selling a case for your control vinyl...I figure I need something like that because one time in the summer I had them in the car and the drive was only about 25min....took them out to put them on the turntables and they were warped like crazy!...well one of them was...not both.
D J L.P. 3:15 AM - 14 November, 2008
Quote:
they warp too =$

the point is if u hav a warped control u still have the song on hard drive. its nuffing to cop a new control but where the hell are u gonna find that classic song u love to spin on wax.

serato eliminates that problem
DJ_PHAZE 6:39 PM - 14 November, 2008
Ali Baba Butta Rugs or Frosted Plates tha way to go. clean the plate with a dryer sheet to kill static in colder months. Can't do much for warped CV's. Warped records can be pressed out over time if you pack your crates tight enough. Not overly tight either.
slayed 9:15 PM - 14 November, 2008
Ive been using the glowtronics, and now that you say something, I have been having to be really light when dropping tracks. Im gonna try out my older mats and see if there a difference.
CMOS 9:20 PM - 14 November, 2008
Table Cloths > Butta Rugs/Frosted Plates